(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Budget 6.5/ Now car audio advice thread

Postby *KRONIK* » November 26th, 2021, 7:20 am

rollingstock wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
Rovin wrote:i suggest start to do d install yourself , its not rocket science & if u feel d need for self confidence watch some YT videos

start it in stages, 1 step at a time when u have free time :

install deck & run all rcas along with remote wire to where d amps going

install door speakers & run speaker wires to amp location , if u doing sound deadening to ur doors : do that 1st

run power wire from front to amps , do amp rack , wire up

final stage, adjust decks settings & start to tune ur amp ... if u need help with that check ur padna
TBH
It started off as a 12v accessory system
I figured, if i hadda bring a current wire in the cab, may as well put a size big enough to support an amp (in the future)

And i am perfectly capable of handling the majority of the install.

Pioneer NEX series deck is already installed.

I already drilled off the rivets on the doors
Installed stainless steel rivnuts
Sourced PVC risers/adapters from LSC
Installed NVX silicone baffles
Backed the risers with closed cell foam (for vibration)

I already made up a harness (soldered, heat shrink, tesatape) with speedwire and a Metra dash harness.
I know the best things is to run fresh wires, but i wont do that until the van is repainted, then i will do new wires from amp to speaker and full sound deadening.

I even have the speakers installed in the risers already.
I buy harness adapters for the doors, so i wont have to cut the OE speaker plug. Will cut and extend the adapter instead.
As for the front, i just need a location to mount the passive crossover.
Sail panels have been cut and modified to accept the new tweeters. Those are installed already.
RCAs have been labelled

My biggest hurdles are to build a rack under the seat to accept the current wire to a distribution block and wire the 12v system and amp.
2nd hurdle is that i no wood work skill....at all.
So i prefer not to waste time trying to do that
...i prefer pay for that service.
3rd is the box....i was looking at a design with a bottom slot port. Also looking at incorporating the amp behind the seat, near the box.
Back to previous point, i dont know much about box building/tuning etc.
Hence i opted to have someone experienced do it.

Finally, i just need the speakers check to make sure i wire the polarities correct and i think i go be good dey.

Was considering adding an epicentre, but thats neither here nor there ATM.

You already did most of the install yourself.

What sub/s you using? I can probably mock up an enclosure for you. Power, and tuning you require? And the dimension of the space available for the enclosure.
JL audio TW3-d4 10"

Needs to fit behind the seat of a hilux

I know they can function on small volumes, so if an amp rack can fit somewhere close by, will be great

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 26th, 2021, 7:23 am

timelapse wrote:Take some pics Kronik,of where you planning to put the sub and amp.Some measurements would be great as well.Fiberglass not as hard as it seems if you want to go that route
As i mentioned in the post above
Is a 10" flat JL sub, with a JL RD series 5channel amp.
I doubt i'll wanna go fibreglass as i think a typical MDF enclosure will be just fine for my application.
I not building to compete or gallery, is just a lil system to play some tunes when i making my runs, so it doesnt have to be carshow grade.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 26th, 2021, 7:24 am

timelapse wrote:Take some pics Kronik,of where you planning to put the sub and amp.Some measurements would be great as well.Fiberglass not as hard as it seems if you want to go that route
And
Yes

Ill take some pics and stuff this weekend

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 26th, 2021, 8:36 am

Processing on a very small, simple scale when your factory head unit only has bass and treble.
4,5,7 or 9 band? What's really needed for a clean daily driver where it's a 4 speaker and sub?
I had a 7 but I gifted to someone and was very pleased with the processing it did even though it had a well know name from over a decade ago. Would a well known brand in 5 band be sufficient?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » November 26th, 2021, 10:10 am

*KRONIK* wrote:
rollingstock wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
Rovin wrote:i suggest start to do d install yourself , its not rocket science & if u feel d need for self confidence watch some YT videos

install door speakers & run speaker wires to amp location , if u doing sound deadening to ur doors : do that 1st

final stage, adjust decks settings & start to tune ur amp ... if u need help with that check ur padna
TBH
I figured, if i hadda bring a current wire in the cab, may as well put a size big enough to support an amp (in the future)

I already made up a harness (soldered, heat shrink, tesatape) with speedwire and a Metra dash harness.
I know the best things is to run fresh wires, but i wont do that until the van is repainted, then i will do new wires from amp to speaker and full sound deadening.

I buy harness adapters for the doors, so i wont have to cut the OE speaker plug. Will cut and extend the adapter instead.
Sail panels have been cut and modified to accept the new tweeters. Those are installed already.
RCAs have been labelled

My biggest hurdles are to build a rack under the seat to accept the current wire to a distribution block and wire the 12v system and amp.
3rd is the box....i was looking at a design with a bottom slot port. Also looking at incorporating the amp behind the seat, near the box.

Finally, i just need the speakers check to make sure i wire the polarities correct and i think i go be good dey.

What sub/s you using? I can probably mock up an enclosure for you. Power, and tuning you require? And the dimension of the space available for the enclosure.
JL audio TW3-d4 10"

I know they can function on small volumes, so if an amp rack can fit somewhere close by, will be great

Hilux seat has a ridge somewhere 3/4 up the back wall, I'll check and see if I still have the dimensions for the enclosure. Had to design it in a way to overcome that.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 26th, 2021, 10:13 am

rollingstock wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
rollingstock wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:

TBH

RCAs have been labelled

JL audio TW3-d4 10"

Hilux seat has a ridge somewhere 3/4 up the back wall, I'll check and see if I still have the dimensions for the enclosure. Had to design it in a way to overcome that.
Correct, there is a bar across the middle, about ½way up

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » November 26th, 2021, 4:30 pm

You can get close to 1 cuft without going above that cross bar in the hilux. Use 5/8" material and a brace to muster up the most volume you can. A 3" precision port can fit side firing with little trimming which I would recommend. If not a 3" PVC tube will be fine. See link below for pics of a small upgrade that was done in the past. This was JL TW1 10" sub.

https://www.facebook.com/KRENTech/photo ... 4134469219

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 27th, 2021, 8:05 am

If that Krentech is your work Kavaninho, job well done .That installer takes a pride in his/her /? work.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 27th, 2021, 8:54 am

timelapse wrote:If that Krentech is your work Kavaninho, job well done .That installer takes a pride in his/her /? work.
WTK also, cuz honestly, at this point
Everything just rel tragic
I thinking to just take the van to someone to do....cuz i fed up

Imgine, i had to wipe dust off the the mids yesterday

And i keep forgetting the main reason i didnt move forward with the DIY....i dont have a sheltered garage
So scrapping an interior and ting is a scene

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 27th, 2021, 9:32 am

Rent a tent

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 27th, 2021, 2:20 pm

kavaninho wrote:eitech, do it yourself. It is super easy. Just get the harness and antenna adapter as Rovin recommended (wires will match up with like colours). Get the universal pocket if you are not going back with a 2 din unit.
iirc tiida harnesses does not have the ground in them so you may need to just tie the wire from the radio plug to the vehicle chassis.
Look at a few youtube vids and you will be ok.

Got the deck today and trying the install. Hooked up the electrical and everything works fine. Jus the physical installation am having trouble with. The original deck was mounted via two factory brackets on the dash. It has a metallic enclosure which seems pretty much apart of the deck design and separation doesn’t seem possible so far.
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG

What do I need to do at this point?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 27th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Dem brackets supposed to be universal.Once you line up 2 screws on each side of the deck with the brackets,you should be good.If not, drill your own holes

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 27th, 2021, 4:47 pm

timelapse wrote:Dem brackets supposed to be universal.Once you line up 2 screws on each side of the deck with the brackets,you should be good.If not, drill your own holes

Yea it had the original sleeve on the deck i had to remove first then the brackets lined up. Now finish. The finishers not 100 but looks good as is. It space real close to install the finishers

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 27th, 2021, 6:52 pm

brackets usually have a L or R stamped on each to indicate left or right so if u mix them up things may not line up ...

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 28th, 2021, 5:50 am

The L brackets weren’t the initial problem. The original deck has a sleeve which when removed allows for the L bracket holes to align with the deck for mounting. I got through there.
BTW Rovin tnx for the stuff

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 28th, 2021, 7:44 am

On another note, any of you fellas ever used those underseat powered subs?Need some feedback.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 28th, 2021, 8:46 am

Advice time again....

Since i'm gonna have to remove my door speakers when the van goes to paint, i wanted to male the speakers "servicable"
Hence the use of rivnuts for the install of the riser....

So what is best practice for wiring to the speaker?
Should i:
1) use the crimp on terminals the speakers came with? (These are open ended)

2) use new open barrel spade connectors? (These are insulated at the end)

3) solder in a XT30 connector to the speaker and 1 to the wire so its just 1 jack to take off/plug back

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » November 28th, 2021, 9:04 am

timelapse wrote:If that Krentech is your work Kavaninho, job well done .That installer takes a pride in his/her /? work.

Hey, yes this is my work. Both my brother and I do the install/fabricating work. At this time we are only available to facilitate jobs on weekends and free hours due to other commitments. Due to this we are unable to do installs for everyone's requests. However, I will still encourage to grow the DIY community as that is how I started.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » November 28th, 2021, 9:09 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Advice time again....

Since i'm gonna have to remove my door speakers when the van goes to paint, i wanted to male the speakers "servicable"

Should i:

3) solder in a XT30 connector to the speaker and 1 to the wire so its just 1 jack to take off/plug back

Go for the XT30 connectors once available. These hold very tightly and you can disconnect as much as you like.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 28th, 2021, 10:10 am

kavaninho wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Advice time again....

Should i:

Go for the XT30 connectors once available. These hold very tightly and you can disconnect as much as you like.
Nice, i got enough to do all 4 doors and the tweeters
So, thats my project for today

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 28th, 2021, 11:55 am

You using your door baffles I hope.... Kronik.If you are, I would recommend putting them under the riser if you using risers
Kavaninho, where do you get the metal grill material to buy?I needing some of that for the longest while

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 28th, 2021, 12:02 pm

^^^ steves in sah wah might have that grill material

eitech wrote:The L brackets weren’t the initial problem. The original deck has a sleeve which when removed allows for the L bracket holes to align with the deck for mounting. I got through there.

oh that was u yesterday morning :o , dude u cud have u were from tuner , would have gotten a lil something off, come really quiet like a man of few words & bought his stuff real easy ... thanks for ur business 8-)

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » November 28th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Rovin wrote:^^^ steves in sah wah might have that grill material

eitech wrote:The L brackets weren’t the initial problem. The original deck has a sleeve which when removed allows for the L bracket holes to align with the deck for mounting. I got through there.

oh that was u yesterday morning :o , dude u cud have u were from tuner , would have gotten a lil something off, come really quiet like a man of few words & bought his stuff real easy ... thanks for ur business 8-)

Lol yea. Is ok man i considered it. Covid was hard on business so is ok to pay the price.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 28th, 2021, 12:16 pm

timelapse wrote:You using your door baffles I hope.... Kronik.If you are, I would recommend putting them under the riser if you using risers
Kavaninho, where do you get the metal grill material to buy?I needing some of that for the longest while
Yes

I using the NVX silicone baffles
Not the Install bay ones.

20210731_165330.jpg

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 28th, 2021, 12:27 pm

With the kind of equipment you got there, I can see you sound deadening very soon

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 28th, 2021, 12:37 pm

timelapse wrote:With the kind of equipment you got there, I can see you sound deadening very soon
Yea
I already have box of xfire pro sound deadening rest down, like i said
Thats for after paint
May add a box of buzzmat to the mix also

System plans are:
Front: JL audio C2 components
Rear: JL audio C2 coaxials
SUB: JL audio 10" TW3D4 with sub grill.
Amp: JL audio RD900/5

Already have the KnuConceptz battery terminals installed, and i made up a fresh 0awg body ground with XS OFC wire.

20210715_124620.jpg

Want to use a BlueSea Systems marine 150A breaker....but i aint figure out where to mount that

20210829_163857.jpg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm

nice choice going with d JL stuff 8-)

u watch dean & fernando on YT aka 5 star car stereo ? , they usually use d batt clamp bolt sticking up there in ur pic to mount fuse holder though i cant recall seeing them use breakers but is d same principle or they wud use rivnuts to attach it onto d vehicles body, always try to keep it close to d batt as possible since d wire between fuse holder\breaker & batt will be live\unprotected ...

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 28th, 2021, 2:06 pm

Rovin wrote:nice choice going with d JL stuff 8-)

u watch dean & fernando on YT aka 5 star car stereo ? , they usually use d batt clamp bolt sticking up there in ur pic to mount fuse holder though i cant recall seeing them use breakers but is d same principle or they wud use rivnuts to attach it onto d vehicles body, always try to keep it close to d batt as possible since d wire between fuse holder\breaker & batt will be live\unprotected ...
Yea

I been out of the music thing for so long
Back in the days
I always wanted JL audio, but could never have afforded it.
I took my time and bought these, piece by piece.

The reason i chose the breaker, because i'm doing a dual electrical output.
80amps to the JL amp
80amps to a 12V bussman RTMR for all my future electrical needs.
The breaker is my 1st stage protection and can serve as a full OFF switch.
Then under the seat, i will use a fused distribution block to the amp and RTMR.

So i was trying to figure out a mounting solution to keep that breaker close to the battery as you mentioned.

I am trying to avoid drilling holes in the vehicle. So i looking to make some sort of bracket i can attach to already existing bolts (i hope)

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » November 28th, 2021, 4:22 pm

timelapse wrote:On another note, any of you fellas ever used those underseat powered subs?Need some feedback.

Terrible honestly. But if it's just to add a little bottom end to a OEM system they get the job done

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » November 28th, 2021, 6:51 pm

timelapse wrote:You using your door baffles I hope.... Kronik.If you are, I would recommend putting them under the riser if you using risers

The grill I used is the regular one that does DJ guys use in PA systems. I got mine at RIK Marabella but should be available at Steve's, Gopauls etc. It comes in a 4foot by 32inch sheet which you can cut. It is not the best solution as it sometime does not always blend with the OEM grille pattern on factory doors. So if you are paying attention to detail take that into consideration.
Mobile Solutions online has nice variety online to choose from but I never purchased as I think it is a bit too pricey.

If you can get your hands on 6.5" speaker grills from a install shop, these work great as well for pressing/using small pieces.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”