Forums

JL Audio System

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

JL Audio System

Postby slickrick777 » January 1st, 2022, 9:03 am

Well was always a loudspeaker car audio person now as you get older you tend to phase out that loud sound and prefer a more balanced full proper car audio sound...lol
Now for a guy phasing out from my usual b&c, rcf kind of sound I was thinking to go with a semi sq/loudish system with clarity!
Was looking at jl audio c3 or c5 and or morel on the mids side and well w6 or w7 10" on the bassline side, recommendations, experiences with any of these would be highly appreciated and helpful, Thanks!

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: JL Audio System

Postby david12 » January 1st, 2022, 9:59 am

Sounds like a nice system taking place, what were you thinking for amps?

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 1st, 2022, 10:17 am

well if its a w7 then will have to go with the hd line mono if its w6 can maybe go with the new vxi line! mids was vouching for the vxi 400.4!

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 1st, 2022, 10:22 am

Subscribed.Just don't get a raj installer.Dem fellas only know about mids boxes and a set of gallery dotishness.
Also, what vehicle?

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 1st, 2022, 10:44 am

slickrick777 wrote:well if its a w7 then will have to go with the hd line mono if its w6 can maybe go with the new vxi line! mids was vouching for the vxi 400.4!
You speaking my language. JL!!
Will you be upgrading your electrical system? If not then I would recommend a W6 12 (600 RMS) or you could go wild with a 13.5 W3 (500 RMS) if you have the space, and you can use the VXI 400 for mids and highs. Should work nicely on stock electrical.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 1st, 2022, 1:49 pm

Vehicle is a Toyota Chr (And no ita none hybrid) and well was more leaning towards a 10" rathee than bigger so as to still have little extra space in trunk and or box will be easier to remove in certain instances! Also betwen the c3 and c5 comps and coaxials recommendations? Seeing Jl's website seem to have discontinued the C5 line as well maybe the modular C3 has taken its place? Also was trying to maybe just use 1 upgraded battery in engine example XSD3400 etc and run this full system?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 1st, 2022, 2:25 pm

timelapse wrote:Subscribed.Just don't get a raj installer.Dem fellas only know about mids boxes and a set of gallery dotishness.
Also, what vehicle?

some ppl reading this might feel its discriminating but there is merit here, some loud systems installers afters yrs of being around mainly loud may have hearing damage [hopefully OP hearing isnt affected] or accustom to doing stuff a certain way ex cutting mids to play 120+hz higher up, 1 tone bass, barking mids or harsh highs ... as always if u going by a installer ask to hear his system 1st

good question TL asked on what vehicle too

once comps can fit in front then comps upfront & coax in rear doors

i carry some JL products & if u going all out JL u really cant go wrong with anything this company makes ... its all about install & tuning

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 1st, 2022, 5:25 pm

slickrick777 wrote:Vehicle is a Toyota Chr (And no ita none hybrid) and well was more leaning towards a 10" rathee than bigger so as to still have little extra space in trunk and or box will be easier to remove in certain instances! Also betwen the c3 and c5 comps and coaxials recommendations? Seeing Jl's website seem to have discontinued the C5 line as well maybe the modular C3 has taken its place? Also was trying to maybe just use 1 upgraded battery in engine example XSD3400 etc and run this full system?
Amp?Processor?Sealed,ported?
Box, fiberglass?

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 1st, 2022, 8:40 pm

regardless of your choice of speakers, please do add some treatment to the doors. That vehicle has a small hatchback style cabin and a little subwoofer will go a long way. Look into the JL TW line as well. Those outperform other subs in 1/2 the airspace!

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 3rd, 2022, 12:22 pm

My intention was leanjng towards a W6 10 with Factory Box and either the C5 or C3's on doors! Never owned an SUV before as all my previous vehicles were frontiers so I am very excited to actually have a proper cabin to get a proper bassline out of as opposed to those cabins in those 4×4's which were always a hastle and constraint!..lol, also the doors will obviously be properly dampened etc which is an obvious decision here!

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 3rd, 2022, 1:08 pm

slickrick777 wrote:My intention was leanjng towards a W6 10 with Factory Box and either the C5 or C3's on doors! Never owned an SUV before as all my previous vehicles were frontiers so I am very excited to actually have a proper cabin to get a proper bassline out of as opposed to those cabins in those 4×4's which were always a hastle and constraint!..lol, also the doors will obviously be properly dampened etc which is an obvious decision here!

If I had a big vehicle like that I would make the same choices you are steering towards.You will need a processor if you want to time align, but I don't think you going down textbook sq route...
Two pairs of C3s.
Front: Woofer in door, tweeters in sail panels if there's a factory tweeter in the vehicle already.
Rear : Turn the C3s into coax mode and put both in door.
If you going with a 10W6 HO wedge,secure it properly,as them things skate around easily.
An HD 900/5 will give you all the power you need

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 3rd, 2022, 4:05 pm

Was hearing bad things about those 5 channel amps overheating as they will tend to be maxing as opposed to 2 seperate amps 1 on mids (vx400/4) and 1 on bass (hd750/1) etc! The C3 yes those can be customized to suit for the doors! The w6 10 I feel will be more than enough for those c3's the w7 10 might be overkill?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 3rd, 2022, 4:41 pm

slickrick777 wrote:Was hearing bad things about those 5 channel amps overheating as they will tend to be maxing as opposed to 2 seperate amps 1 on mids (vx400/4) and 1 on bass (hd750/1) etc! The C3 yes those can be customized to suit for the doors! The w6 10 I feel will be more than enough for those c3's the w7 10 might be overkill?
W7 is overkill.Your bass will drown out everything else.
I am presently running a 5 channel XFire class d amp.It runs very cool.The JL will run better I am also class D

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 3rd, 2022, 5:01 pm

slickrick777 wrote:Was hearing bad things about those 5 channel amps overheating as they will tend to be maxing as opposed to 2 seperate amps 1 on mids (vx400/4) and 1 on bass (hd750/1) etc! The C3 yes those can be customized to suit for the doors! The w6 10 I feel will be more than enough for those c3's the w7 10 might be overkill?

This is not factual at all.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 3rd, 2022, 5:46 pm

You talkin in general or with regard to the JL? If it's JL, they won't come out on the market with a bad product. Alot of time goes into testing final products. Do your research and see what fits your needs best. In my opinion the 5 channel is simpler and may be slightly more efficient. Doesn't the VXI have an integrated DSP? there's a 1000/5 that should fit your needs pretty nicely.

I wouldn't say I've heard, I'd rather say I experienced a JL 12W6 in a sealed box and it was just so dynamic, accurate and low distortion. W6s are more than enough for a daily system.
Last edited by david12 on January 3rd, 2022, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 3rd, 2022, 6:14 pm

who\where this info of overheating 5 chan jl amps was obtain from, local hearsay ? , i want to bet its either clipping aka gain up high, poor air circulation or running under ohm etc, has to be an installation fault ... i have even seen authorized JL shops in d usa do poor installs with their products

all JL equipment is 1 off designs meaning they take yrs meticulously designing, engineering & testing their own products [yes some of it is manufactured in china to their exact specs] selling thousands of their products worldwide for yrs b4 even changing models but leave it to locals to find faults

internet posters are brutally critical when something is not up to par & if it was so then surely it will be all over d net ...

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 4th, 2022, 7:30 am

At .55 cu ft sealed, a 10 w6 will fit in something like this
O1CN01Nd95LD1yypcFSplNX_!!2289486648.jpg

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 4th, 2022, 7:58 am

Well word of mouth from an Installer, Audioaddix to be precise! Also he was pushing the morrels on me but the price on 1 pair of thise opposed to 1 pair of jl was rediculous...lol

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 4th, 2022, 8:18 am

Never heard of him but it sounds like he's pushing products that he can benefit from and saying anything to put down something else. You'll be very satisfied with the JL equipment.

Also some installers when they are brought brands that they don't sell they usually install it (correctly or incorrectly) but talk rubbish about it and say how their thing better, then you'll see them selling it for the customer. When an installer is like this I suggest taking your business elsewhere. I cut ties with an installer who did that recently.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 4th, 2022, 10:09 am

I ran older c3's and was not impressed.
I am currently on Morel low line (Tempo or Tempo Ultra) and it's easily the best I've heard. And I've run the range of Phoenix Gold, Alpine, Pioneer, JL, Skar and a few others that I can't rem over the years.

I still love my JL subs. If you have the space, a W6 is probably the gold standard of quality listening. I'm running a 12Tw3 in a ported fiberglass enclosure similar to the one shared above and it's pretty amazing for a low/medium power sub.

I've run the XD 5 Channel JL amps and they are reliable, if not a bit underpowered. I also heard the RD 5ch and it was underwhelming, but it could have been the guy's install. If you really want a good 5ch JL - go with the HD series.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » January 4th, 2022, 12:28 pm

I hope the OP is mentally prepared knowing that he would be spending minimum 20k on a system based on the products mentioned and coming from the pro mids scene his vehicle would not be even close to loud and the possibility of someone with a pair of fe200 and up will be louder than his components

Sounding good doesn't always equal spending huge sums of money... unless that is what the person wants to do.

My advice is try and get a couple demos of similar systems that you plan to build

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 4th, 2022, 12:38 pm

it is hard to really get demo locally on these sort of speakers brands etc! However my mind was also on the side of the beymas neo 6.5" as well but another person said hia friend has those high end beymas ($1700) per and he has those cheap faitals fe200 ans have him a run going ans coming..lol, so I dont know if was loudness alone or full and loud etc as I nevr heard any personally!

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 4th, 2022, 1:02 pm

solid point from x factor in that if u been around loud all d time & want to make d switch to IN car listening SQ system it will be a big difference that will take getting used to or may not be what u thought u wud have liked

maybe ur not at d point yet where comps will satisfy u - there are loud speakers made for cars like from orion, rockford, powerbass etc that might fit d bill, wont give u midbass like comps but will sound loud & clean without harshness of some pro audio speakers

as for 5 chan amps, majority of them will be around typical 75-100x4 & sub 500rms, there are few that do more on sub section, if u skeptical bass wont be enough then go with separate amps, better to have extra than leaving u wanting more

JL was never cheap & will never be, c1 c2 line & lower models in amps & subs are affordable but when u get to their top models d prices soar ... same with other reputable brands - good ting not cheap

everybody personal taste\opinion on how something sounds will be different - some like brighter highs, some like laid back, some like barking mids other dont, some like punchy bass, some like subsonic lows ... its all up to personal taste

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 4th, 2022, 4:35 pm

basically I want a full clean sound when I open my doors not to be irritating and squealing etc! So to me quality might be that off the beymas and hearing good things about orions as well!

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » January 4th, 2022, 7:03 pm

slickrick777 wrote:basically I want a full clean sound when I open my doors not to be irritating and squealing etc! So to me quality might be that off the beymas and hearing good things about orions as well!
That open your doors and play doesn't really lead towards those c5/3s

Are you planning on using a processor?

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 4th, 2022, 7:29 pm

If this is the case maybe go the route of the pro audio. Comps may suffice but it definitely wouldn't give the loudness of pa. Rockford makes the Punch Pros and Orion has their selection. Those are the 2 that came to mind first. I heard some Orion HCCA 6.5s a couple months ago and they were loud and clean, no midbass whatsoever but they'll definitely satisfy you if that's what you're looking for. As for the RF I haven't heard them, but our resident RF man has (not Rage lol). Awaiting his response.

I have a couple vids of the Orions playing. If you want a reference of what they sound like, pm me and I can WhatsApp them to you.

Also you never know until you try something. If you want to try the comps and coax now, do it. If they aren't for you, you can always sell and buy what you think you prefer. Of course a demo can solve all of this but I prefer to try it when it's mine and I can tinker at my will.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 4th, 2022, 8:42 pm

Hmmm, I heard that orions give a midbass maybe a diff model etc? Also to my knowledge orion, rockford db drive are more focussed towards stree music so I wud assume them to give a clean loud sound as opposed to the jl audio and etc? Also the vids would kinda do some justic I guess, will message u my contact now, Thanks!

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 4th, 2022, 10:25 pm

correct to say brands like RF, kicker, mtx, orion, alpine etc focus more on daily use to street bass clients not sq purists like JL, focal, morel etc

i also carry orion so i have some experience with their loud car speakers, lower model like CT-M6 which i often mention has a nice bandwidth, FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 81HZ - 15KHZ , almost dont need a tweeter for it & has a nice pleasing balanced sound, its like a loud comp, rated 150rms which is plenty loudness ... higher models have a narrower freq range & their specialty is getting loud to keep up with powerful bass systems

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 6th, 2022, 8:19 am

MTX for street blasting,or XFire.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 6th, 2022, 5:04 pm

Beymas have some options, anyone have experience with them aspecially in 6"?

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”