Forums

Random Stuff in Car Audio ...

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Random Stuff in Car Audio ...

Postby Rovin » March 14th, 2023, 12:54 pm

that was a loose statement that person made not explaining what he meant cause it cud be interpreted in many ways

i eh so old to know what was being done in d 70s regarding car audio "rule of thumb" back then, i dont think they had anything near d available power\technology car stereos wud later have

i am open to corrections but from what i seen 8 track players then came cassettes, "eq\boosters" & very little amp power like 25x2 & no high power subs like what came along in d 80s\90s not to mention d leaps that happened over d last 20s yrs ... most of d 70s & before music wasnt bass heavy, punchy or as deep freq as what came on later yrs when rap\hiphop made that kind of bass popular, rebass is another story

so comparing 50yrs ago to current time is like chalk n cheese ...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 16th, 2023, 1:30 pm

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BicefelesIA ... IECMiOmarE

Will be trying a passive build later this year.

Played around a little in the past, but gonna do it srs this time

https://youtube.com/watch?v=v4rAkxck2_Q ... IECMiOmarE

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » March 16th, 2023, 4:17 pm

Rovin wrote:d ol sealed vs ported debate ... YT video creators know how to generate publicity for their channel

theres d sealed for life crew who admits thats all they run & i guess prolly never owned a professionally designed ported enclosure for a sub that is better suited for ported, somebody said ported sounds like a fart cannon :shock: .... :lol: , maybe only d ones he heard, that comment cud fall into d local garden too :twisted: ... :lol:

d bassheads\spl men who never run sealed

alot of ppl putting all their faith in manufacturers trusted specs & would argue that no matter if u mention enclosure design programs

very few mentions : tuning\eq, box placement, quality\abilty of both sub\amp, vehicle acoustics etc

an interesting post from somebody : "Rules of thumb created in the 70s have no bearing on modern subwoofers", i not sure how to interpret that

there is d "well it depends on what type of music u listen to" bandwagon, to me everybody at some point plays some kinds of music outside their normal preferences

this section could use some traffic so allyuh dont jes read my posts or other ppls posts & remain quiet : contribute & share ur opinions ... nobody gonna frig u up like on fb .... 8-)

To add to this from an SQ standpoint.... I've worked with high end studio grade speakers/subs for a while, you'll hardly see a sealed sub. And this would be regarded as SQ as it gets since accuracy is the name of the game here

If we talking SQ, then the rear wave should be deleted altogether, Infinite Baffle iymc. The equivalent of open back headphones. No coloration from the rear wave whatsoever.

PUT D SUB UNDER THE CAR, MAKE THE CABIN THE BOX :evilbat: .... I think there was a demo car that did that once. Cant remember which country.

Also for the last part, people frig you up here more than on fb I find, I am guilty of this , sorrz :oops:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 16th, 2023, 6:10 pm

sMASH wrote:https://youtube.com/watch?v=BicefelesIA&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

https://youtube.com/watch?v=v4rAkxck2_Q ... IECMiOmarE
Hiiii

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 16th, 2023, 6:11 pm

sMASH wrote:https://youtube.com/watch?v=v4rAkxck2_Q&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 16th, 2023, 8:59 pm

if u search this section u will find where nerve tried a passive radiator thing a while back

somewhere on this channel he had showed a few infinite baffle done in cars https://www.youtube.com/@pssound9749 , if u search YT u will see others have done it too

d thing is how many ppl willing to cut out a big gaping hole of their trunk cause 1 day to come u will want to sell ur ride & unless u is a rel smartman not to tell d new buyer or hide what u did

same reason with blow through enclosures for pickups, cud keep d interior looking oem but fit up how much subs\amps\batts in d tray ...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 17th, 2023, 6:54 am

Lf: 18" zebra

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » March 28th, 2023, 3:59 pm

Any major manufacturer in the world ever made a tube preamp for car audio?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 28th, 2023, 4:47 pm

only 1 i cud remember a while back was Soundstream MTUBE-8

ent dem gopaul stores in sando used to have zebra speakers long time ...

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » March 29th, 2023, 4:20 pm

Rovin wrote:only 1 i cud remember a while back was Soundstream MTUBE-8

ent dem gopaul stores in sando used to have zebra speakers long time ...

WDAAAAA

I now went and google it. Because this didnt pop up the first time I looked

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/f ... 149906.jpg
(Cant embed pics anymore for some reason, fix allyuh site please)

Check the ipod next to it too, making we feel hella old

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 29th, 2023, 7:29 pm

Why not just use one of thise cheap ones from parts express full range, then send that to a preamp?

But, Wil u really be able to appreciate the quality while driving?

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » March 29th, 2023, 8:03 pm

I aint srs bout installing it, just wanted to know if it was available as a ready made option

for shits and giggles (mostly giggles)

Although I see a lot of those parts express tube amps are 12V powered HMMMMM

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 4th, 2023, 3:58 pm

for those who dont go in d iasca section : nice read on car audio history ... viewtopic.php?f=27&t=770977&p=10356955#p10356955

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 9th, 2023, 6:17 pm

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 10th, 2023, 1:12 am

Wow. What actually caught fire in the car? I see someone mentioned lithium battery in the comments, but that can't be put out by just water.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 10th, 2023, 9:37 pm

https://youtu.be/7G0DmgJ5c-g

B2 audio, so can be used in cars.... Vehicles.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » April 11th, 2023, 8:53 am

Considering how much flammable materials they use for car interiors, he got off lucky here.

Hope it wasnt too bad

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 18th, 2023, 10:35 pm

Brian Steele wrote:So, FINALLY I might be building another subwoofer. Well, not me - someone's doing it for me (a badly-behaving shoulder probably means that box-building days are behind me). An offset-driver ~41 Hz TL for one 12" driver using a different fold. Not that I have need for another box, LOL, but I want to see how this performs compares to the POC3 TH I built many years ago. The intent here is to measure how the performance of the TL compares to that of the TH in an enclosure of approximately the same size. Performance measurements will be the usual frequency response, compression and THD at various power levels. I predict a wider bandwidth, with a few dBs lower efficiency.

20230306-TL.png

Well, I got it built. And I've had some time to test it out a little. First of all the build NAILED the resonance frequency I targeted. It was basically off by 0.5%, which is a ridiculously low error, and would likely end up even closer to the target Fb once I've dealt with a minor issue with the driver cutout.

The not so good news is that I found the output a bit too "coloured" for my liking. A TL does not resonate at just one frequency. It resonates at many frequencies, and a "straight" (constant-expansion) TL brings those unwanted harmonic resonances much closer to the main resonance frequency. The end result is a coloured sound, even if you lowpass the driving signal below 100 Hz, distortion produced by the driver is going to excite those harmonic resonances. While offsetting the driver 1/3rd the way down the line (like I did in this case) can effectively deal with the first bandwidth-limiting harmonic resonance, the rest of the resonances have to be dealt with as well. Fortunately, about a pillow or two worth of polyester fiberfill stuffed into the closed end of the TL seems to have reduced those additional resonances and the build actually sounds quite decent now and integrates easily with one of the "top" speakers that I tried with it, using a simple 100 Hz 12dB/oct filter.

In another note, results of a rough frequency response test of the TL suggests that Hornresp did a pretty good job at predicting its response, up to and including the noticeable dip in the response between 200~300 Hz (a side-effect of offsetting the driver to deal with the bandwidth-limiting dip in the response that would have been introduced around 100 Hz if the driver was located right at the closed end of the TL.

As soon as I can I'm going to perform more measurements (e.g. power-handling, vent compression), but the best takeaways so far from this build is this type of fold and driver position works as expected, and that my BOXPLAN-TL2 workbook does a really good job at predicting what the result will be like.

20230418_215305.jpg

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » April 19th, 2023, 9:31 am

Sand it down till you hit 2000 grit minumum then rub some Linseed oil/beeswax on that box

Would look hella cash

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 19th, 2023, 9:42 am

Unfortunately when it was built, the edges weren't protected so I've got a bit of wood-filling to do to address where the ply was shredded. But yes, it would look good if I kept the grain look, perhaps with a rosewood stain... :-)

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » April 19th, 2023, 10:30 am

Brian Steele wrote:Unfortunately when it was built, the edges weren't protected so I've got a bit of wood-filling to do to address where the ply was shredded. But yes, it would look good if I kept the grain look, perhaps with a rosewood stain... :-)

Or you can hit it with a 45 degree router or roundover. Ain't gotta fill a chip if it isn't there ;)

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 19th, 2023, 2:47 pm

u have any pics of inside d box - not wanting to copy ur stuff but jes to macco

is that normal pine plywood aka boxing board\termite food ? , gotta use a new ply appropriate blade, when routing ply edges it will sometimes burn or chip out, not to be discouraging but its difficult to get proper fine furniture grade finish on it which is why most ppl wud fill screw holes & hit it with some black paint ...

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » April 19th, 2023, 3:08 pm

Rovin, if you put some masking tape over the edges, would it help prevent tearout when routing?

(Burning can be prevented with some skill/technique though)

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 19th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Rovin wrote:u have any pics of inside d box - not wanting to copy ur stuff but jes to macco

is that normal pine plywood aka boxing board\termite food ? , gotta use a new ply appropriate blade, when routing ply edges it will sometimes burn or chip out, not to be discouraging but its difficult to get proper fine furniture grade finish on it which is why most ppl wud fill screw holes & hit it with some black paint ...

I have the layout of the box described at the site I'm putting together to cover this project - http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/other/POC7/

The box is built of marine ply.

I've spoken to the builder about appropriate blades :-)

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 19th, 2023, 6:11 pm

d ol masking\painters tape trick is really for straight saw cuts

type of blade-tooth count\orientation, speed u pushing d saw, height\depth set of d blade, kerf thickness of d blade, shaky hands even when using a straight edge guide etc all affect ur circular sawblade cuts

i have never heard\seen anybody tape for routering, to reduce router bits tearing out d wood : instead of a heavy full pass u do it in 2-3 incremental passes, so say its a 1\4 round over u take a 1/8 pass then 3/16 then full 1/4 ... but in d real world nobody aint got time fo dat & most of us wud do jes 2 passes & a light hand sanding, but sometimes blades & bits still burn wood no matter how careful u try

thats an interesting placement of d speaker in d middle since u usually see it placed at d starting point but i sure u have ur reasons for doing that ...

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 19th, 2023, 8:59 pm

Rovin wrote:thats an interesting placement of d speaker in d middle since u usually see it placed at d starting point but i sure u have ur reasons for doing that ...

It's a technique to null out the 1st harmonic resonance, placing the driver 1/3rd of the way down the line. You gain a bit of bandwidth at the expense of some SPL in the upper end of the passband. Response at the lower end remains the same. It's a technique used to make it easier to cross it over to the full range speakers, or even use it as a bass speaker in a full range speaker as the higher harmonics can be effectively dealt with by stuffing part of the line. That first harmonic resonance is a lot more difficult to deal with by using stuffing, and too much stuffing kills low frequency output from the vent.

2023-04-19.png

In grey is the predicted response with an offset driver. In red is the response with the driver near the start of the line. That little blip around 120 Hz in the response of the offset driver version can be dealt with using a bit of stuffing at the start of the line.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 20th, 2023, 9:41 am

Brian Steele wrote:
Rovin wrote:u have any pics of inside d box - not wanting to copy ur stuff but jes to macco

I have the layout of the box described at the site I'm putting together to cover this project - http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/other/POC7/

The box is built of marine ply.

I've spoken to the builder about appropriate blades :-)
What's the path length of that, from end to mouth?
I unable to read the specs of the tables, cause it's blurry.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 21st, 2023, 12:01 am

Here's a larger picture of the workbook I used to design the TL...

20230420-POC7 design.png

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 1st, 2023, 2:45 pm

i not gonna post it here to cause bachanal but since last night on fb making d rounds is a video of a black van looks like a L300 said to have some hard pong in it that judging by d raging fire was most likely totally destroyed .... ppl saying is something to do with lithium battery

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 1st, 2023, 7:27 pm

Saw that vid. If was lithium, u would see real lives, come out to bash it.

But, my take my take away, make sure ur not shorting, gronging off, and u fuse out well enough that u can cut power easily.

The pix bigger, but tye type still indiscernible.
IMG_20230501_192355.jpg

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”