Forums

Dsp or headunit?

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

anythingforreal
Street 2NR

Dsp or headunit?

Postby anythingforreal » September 3rd, 2022, 1:00 pm

looking for a dsp or headunit that will give me both left and right eq,2-4 way crossover with adjustable lp to hp 6db-24db slopes ,individual time alignment along with indiviual gain and phase control and a good voltage output along with a good enough signal to noise ratio and a upfront controller. Any recommendations?

my amps are -2 jl audio 300/4 and a jl audio 500/1

mids and highs to still be determined as well as sub
lookking to do a 3 way front stage.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Dsp or headunit?

Postby timelapse » September 3rd, 2022, 9:17 pm

anythingforreal wrote:looking for a dsp or headunit that will give me both left and right eq,2-4 way crossover with adjustable lp to hp 6db-24db slopes ,individual time alignment along with indiviual gain and phase control and a good voltage output along with a good enough signal to noise ratio and a upfront controller. Any recommendations?

my amps are -2 jl audio 300/4 and a jl audio 500/1

mids and highs to still be determined as well as sub
lookking to do a 3 way front stage.
Depends on budget.I have never seen an 8 channel head unit, but the more experienced installers could tell you better.You will need 6 channels for the front stage and 1or 2 for subs.
If you are considering rear fill at some point, you can either:
A . Consider a 10 channel dsp
B. If your head unit has time alignment, use the dsp on the front channel and the rear channel for high passed rear fill.

Also you can use a 6 channel dsp for your front stage alone,given a situation like B. ,and run subs on the sub channel of the head unit.IMHO, this is the most difficult method, but cheapest.I bought a budget pioneer head unit some years back with time alignment and some crossover functions for about $1200 tt.Good luck if you can find something like that nowadays.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 4th, 2022, 2:10 pm

a good DSP shud have more features & flexibility ...

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » May 27th, 2023, 11:38 am

Rovin wrote:a good DSP shud have more features & flexibility ...
Advice on "good DSP" ?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 28th, 2023, 1:36 pm

Helix and Zapco

More channels = more $

Most expensive helix I saw is about 8k...that's a 12ch

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 28th, 2023, 4:24 pm

google\yt d usual suspects : helix, mosconi, brax, minidsp, jl, arc, zapco, audiocontrol etc ... plenty other brands on d market that wud be considered more econo\budget\generic

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 28th, 2023, 4:55 pm

What separates the hi end processors from the econo or processors?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » May 28th, 2023, 7:03 pm

Price :)

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » May 28th, 2023, 7:06 pm

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 28th, 2023, 7:07 pm

SR wrote:Price :)
I seeing a cheap (1500) one expert 8sir that hsve 4 in 8 out, with limiter festure.
Kinda like that.

But i accustomed to cheap chiney Electronics corroding snd falling apart.
And I using audio control equipment thst 20 years old and still going.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » May 29th, 2023, 6:45 am

sMASH wrote:
SR wrote:Price :)
I seeing a cheap (1500) one expert 8sir that hsve 4 in 8 out, with limiter festure.
Kinda like that.

But i accustomed to cheap chiney Electronics corroding snd falling apart.
And I using audio control equipment thst 20 years old and still going.
Yeah, looking at those experts as well...awaiting user info/review

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » May 29th, 2023, 8:46 am

I have the X4 Air for about 9 months now and I have nothing bad to say so far. I needed something simple and I got it on sale so it was a no brainer. It has all of the basic DSP features and tuning is done through the app. I wanted the Dayton Audio DSP but that wasn't available locally at the time.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 29th, 2023, 3:00 pm

Two problems i have with the Dayton is that is only 2v out.
And it have no limiter attack features.

I msged parts express to. Tell them st least put the attack limiter added feature as software update, and that it should have 8v out to be standalone for vehicle use.
. But they say it is what it is.

Another issue i see on forums, is that the Bluetooth dongle adds noise to the signal. Only solution is to use the rcas as normal

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » May 29th, 2023, 3:59 pm

Only 2v out?! Guess I didn't read up on it enough.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 30th, 2023, 2:05 pm

i not any expert on DSP but from what i see is mostly 2 types : d big dial with a small screen budget type & d type that requires a laptop\screen device to set it up

all yall have to do is watch a YT of either type & u will understand d basics, as with anything else d more expensive models will have features\options on them some of which u may\may not need depending on ur system design & budget obviously

some of these companies will allow u to DL d software for their d laptop type dsp so u can go thru it & see how it is b4 u even buy their product

btw - cheapest dsp i have seen wud be a an unbranded dial knob type on alibaba for us$36up & most expensive i heard of wud be from about 8 mths ago when dean of 5 star installed a us$6000 brax in a $ is not a problem all out system ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgjQd7APtY

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 30th, 2023, 3:59 pm

Rat from sn ally has that brand dsp

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 31st, 2023, 9:30 am

Rovin wrote:i not any expert on DSP but from what i see is mostly 2 types : d big dial with a small screen budget type & d type that requires a laptop\screen device to set it up

all yall have to do is watch a YT of either type & u will understand d basics, as with anything else d more expensive models will have features\options on them some of which u may\may not need depending on ur system design & budget obviously

some of these companies will allow u to DL d software for their d laptop type dsp so u can go thru it & see how it is b4 u even buy their product

btw - cheapest dsp i have seen wud be a an unbranded dial knob type on alibaba for us$36up & most expensive i heard of wud be from about 8 mths ago when dean of 5 star installed a us$6000 brax in a $ is not a problem all out system ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgjQd7APtY

Actually, the cheapest DSP ever would be free.
Basically re-master songs on Audacity to suit your system :lol:
Infinite EQ points, can adjust time alignment between Left and right , can edit channels individually.
Can probably make another track and time-align the highs then mix it back down too.

No crossovers though....

But on a reals, don't look for the cheapest. Look for good value for money. a DSP can make or break the system.
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Au ... quantity=1

This one from parts express is pretty good. Just set and forget.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » May 31st, 2023, 8:04 pm

sMASH wrote:Rat from sn ally has that brand dsp

Leave it right deh

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 1st, 2023, 11:17 am

some ppl does be running down whatever "newest" tech like out a DSP cause they see their padna have 1, ppl talking about it in real life\online or watching ppl on YT recommending it

yet alot of guys dont know how to read a speaker specs\response graph & basic tune their eqs & crossover on their decks & filters or gain on their amps ...

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » June 1st, 2023, 11:32 am

Gosh boy Rovin you coulda just message me in private instead.. all that you throwing for meh..

Imagine I had to see men using a dsp and preamp.. and we talking Helix with a eqs all because installer didn’t know the oem unit needed to see the speaker resistance..

Volvo xc40….

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 1st, 2023, 11:59 am

:lol: what i said cud fall in plenty ppl garden ....... ay nick anytime u in my area by my store drop in lemme take a listen, lemme see\hear how far u have come from 3yrs ago

jes a few mths back i designed\built a box for a padna that i tested in my wagon b4 i give him it so i know it performs excellent but it sounding offkey in his ride, i noticed it instantly & went into his settings, man had his lpf @ 40hz yes :shock: , eq looking all how along with some of other settings

he couldnt explain how it was that & nobody doh play up with his high end kenwood deck with alot of features, then he have a RF dsp which he really uses as a line driver - he never made d time to tune it half way self, imo he really didnt need d dsp with what that deck has in it ... he shud know alot better since he does know some stuff & used to be around me

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 1st, 2023, 12:01 pm

b4 DSP became mainstream plenty fellers with their gallery systems was using dbx driverack & some was actually using a preamp in front of it

what about few yrs back had a local pic online of a 80prs with 3-4 preamps on it in a deckbox ...

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 1st, 2023, 2:38 pm

DSP is the new preamp

Men who never needed a preamp running it still just because "mUh LiNe dRiVe" or "yuh cud fine tune d settings better", then end up fine tuning it worse than before .

A DSP magnifies your skill as a tuner/installer. It doesn't improve it.
It highlights what you do/don't know.

It can make your system sound real good or absolutely shite.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Dsp or headunit?

Postby nick639v2 » June 1st, 2023, 2:46 pm

Rovin wrote: what i said cud fall in plenty ppl garden ....... ay nick anytime u in my area by my store drop in lemme take a listen, lemme see\hear how far u have come from 3yrs ago

jes a few mths back i designed\built a box for a padna that i tested in my wagon b4 i give him it so i know it performs excellent but it sounding offkey in his ride, i noticed it instantly & went into his settings, man had his lpf @ 40hz yes , eq looking all how along with some of other settings

he couldnt explain how it was that & nobody doh play up with his high end kenwood deck with alot of features, then he have a RF dsp which he really uses as a line driver - he never made d time to tune it half way self, imo he really didnt need d dsp with what that deck has in it ... he shud know alot better since he does know some stuff & used to be around me

The work van in shambles (with the dsp lol) , box on seat and doors bare, but you have to hear the forester, used factory amp but added deadening and focal 8 sub in factory location. I shocked myself with the result

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 1st, 2023, 3:18 pm

bring ting nick i go listen to anything once u eh bussing up meh ears with bright tweeters & barking mids

ruffneck_12 wrote:DSP is the new preamp

Men who never needed a preamp running it still just because "mUh LiNe dRiVe" or "yuh cud fine tune d settings better", then end up fine tuning it worse than before .

true

sometimes ppl ask me what dsp\processor i using but is none & is jes a 10-11yr ole pioneer deck which still functions good but d screen fading\dying out so sometime this yr i will replace it ...

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 1st, 2023, 3:52 pm

yeah, once you plan out a system before hand and use basic physics, you shouldn't need much processing other than crossover/eq, maybe time alignment. Things that your deck or sometimes your amp would have.

It's like photography, better to set up everything good for the shot so you won't have to spend time to fix it in photoshop.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 1st, 2023, 6:02 pm

Rovin wrote:bring ting nick i go listen to anything once u eh bussing up meh ears with bright tweeters & barking mids

true

sometimes ppl ask me what dsp\processor i using but is none & is jes a 10-11yr ole pioneer deck which still functions good but d screen fading\dying out so sometime this yr i will replace it ...
Once u have no use for d deck and the on board amp working...
Wanna build a boom box.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 2nd, 2023, 7:42 am

sMASH wrote:
Rovin wrote:bring ting nick i go listen to anything once u eh bussing up meh ears with bright tweeters & barking mids

true

Once u have no use for d deck and the on board amp working...
Wanna build a boom box.

Dais a good idea inno

Isse be searching thru parts express looking for amp/bluetooth modules to build one and I now realize, that decks come with that :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

Blonde moment

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 2nd, 2023, 9:00 am

Subject to correction but good car audio equipment and a good source reduces the need for processing?
Note car audio equipment!

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 2nd, 2023, 11:44 am

^^^ dave i could agree with that, a good capable deck with 4-5v 3 rca out, 13 band eq, time alignment, crossovers with 2db slope etc & some good amps too, yes good music source not no YT or 128 crap

smash & ruffneck_12 yall sounding like some customers who does want to put pro audio speakers in car & car equipment in house , does hear dem saying "ah buy 12v adapter" most of d times a 10A for small $ but they not even thinking about d 10A fuse rating alone of a deck & they want put a amp, pre or cross too .

When u try to explain they barely understanding how it will need a powerful enough\expensive 12v power supply or a car batt & charger that cud easily cost 1500-2000, they does jes turn way away either disappointed or feel is crap i telling them

they jes want some loud noise so when u tell them why dont u buy a 15" self powered box for around $1800 with everything u need built in & cost way less, they feel like nah boi d car setup is what they have in mind even though it will far exceed d cost ...

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”