TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The 3S-GTE performance thread!

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » April 30th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Dat can't be right :? .....I think you mean the ST202, cuz the ST205 brakes are huuuge moffas. Even to install them in a ST185 takes a bit of modding! Plus, there are some 16" rims that won't clear them! :shock:

trdboy
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby trdboy » May 1st, 2009, 6:30 am

sorry ralph wasnt talking bout the rotors....was refering to the strut setups with the hubs and shock assembly......i was never fortunate to get the rotors with them, everytime i check around thats the 1st thing that goes, somebody always taking the calipers and rotors!! the struts im using for my car are from the st205....ent only the gt4 came with the super strut and bigger brakes??

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 1st, 2009, 11:49 pm

nope....the entire ST20x line had superstruts....the 185's had independent McPherson.

trdboy
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby trdboy » May 1st, 2009, 11:59 pm

link me up with some after market shocks nah boy!!

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 2nd, 2009, 12:51 am

nah....allyuh is superstrut....me ent ready for that league yet! Seriously though....with the price of struts for allyuh, better yuh go with coilovers and dun.

trdboy
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby trdboy » May 2nd, 2009, 6:44 am

the problem still exists for finding them..cuz the shock has an extra ball joint and an arm attachment to it so finding this particular shocks is difficult and with just the coilover spring to the stock shock weakens the durability, i saw teins have a shock and spring combo they only want 1800 pounds for it...so daz about 18000 ttd....yeah right...i go stick to checking the bamboo ever so often!!the shock from the zz celica gts should also work and u getting that from toyota by orders but that is a pound and a crown too!

Ralph, what kinda coolant u using??

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 2nd, 2009, 11:47 pm

Either K-Sport or Megan Racing has an application for the ST20x celica on ebay....search it and you'll find it.

M-Tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby M-Tech » May 10th, 2009, 6:24 pm

My setup is the MR2 Gen3 3S-GTE engine w/ 2WD 5SP gearbox installed in an ST182 FWD. You all already know what it has like the CT20B turbo, 540cc injectors, MAP sensor etc.

I am using an Apexi Power FC standalone but I need help tuning it.
Everything is stock except for the ECU so I cross 7200RPM and I'm unsure what the redline is and boost reads about 16psi without running lean and I don't know what it's supposed to be. Runs really nice but I must get the ECU tuned. Anyone has a Datalogit and can tune it for me??

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » May 10th, 2009, 7:47 pm

M-Tech, check pm.

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 10th, 2009, 9:07 pm

M-Tech, in addition to tuning the Apex'i, I humbly recommend investing in some gauges, namely egt, wideband afr, oil pressure and water temp. I know you already have the boost gauge so daz why I didn't put that. How much vacuum is your engine producing on idle?

And your car looks sweeeet man....especially in de engine bay! :mrgreen:

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » May 10th, 2009, 10:29 pm

stock MR2 GT brakes

M-Tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby M-Tech » May 10th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Thanks A172 and gt4tified, we'd share some more ideas in the week.

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 11th, 2009, 6:59 pm

trdboy wrote:the problem still exists for finding them..cuz the shock has an extra ball joint and an arm attachment to it so finding this particular shocks is difficult and with just the coilover spring to the stock shock weakens the durability, i saw teins have a shock and spring combo they only want 1800 pounds for it...so daz about 18000 ttd....yeah right...i go stick to checking the bamboo ever so often!!the shock from the zz celica gts should also work and u getting that from toyota by orders but that is a pound and a crown too!

Ralph, what kinda coolant u using??

trdboy....when I say coilover I mean a complete unit.....unlike others I don't confuse the language. What many ppl refer to as coilovers are really just adjustable lowering springs. A coilover is a complete unit with shock and shock mount. As I said, ebay has the KSport for around US1000.

I using simple np radol mixed with de-chlorinated tap water.

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » May 11th, 2009, 10:09 pm

M-Tech, you wanna get rid of that Power FC?

M-Tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby M-Tech » May 11th, 2009, 11:25 pm

LOL.. it won't work on ur engine...

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » May 12th, 2009, 12:06 pm

M-Tech wrote:LOL.. it won't work on ur engine...

yes it would, the mr2 forums have a diagram on which wires to splice etc to make the 3rd gen power fc work :D

so again, you want to sell the power fc? :)

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 12th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Aye Trac, you want to sell the Access? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » May 12th, 2009, 10:07 pm

as soon as M-TECH pipe out de Power FC :lol:

M-Tech
3NE 2NR for life

Postby M-Tech » May 18th, 2009, 12:01 am

Just got the thing there Trac so I'm not piping out yet.. It's working really nice.. The only thing better is if I had a SW20 :lol:

trdboy
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby trdboy » May 18th, 2009, 6:52 am

well it for sale dawg!!lol!

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 20th, 2009, 8:22 pm

gt4tified wrote:
smokey1275 wrote:hmmmmmm tickets please , lol ? where is everybody ?

Yannastan! Better I start throwing some insults around....bet yuh rasclat dey gine come out of hiding! :lol:

Calling:

AllTrac
M-Tech
trdboy
trdsports.m

whey allyuh?

i sell mine. but it was 3rd gen map sensor type from the ST205 celica.

i looking to buy alltrac vtec powered 800hp 3s. it revs to 138 987 875 000 000 000 000 000RPM to make 800WHP from 98 lb force ft of torque as measured at the flywheel.

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 20th, 2009, 8:26 pm

haydn28 wrote:that wouldn prevent honda hoe beating him :) no stock 3sgte can beat honda hoe come on people :roll:

how much we betting here?

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 20th, 2009, 8:28 pm

gt4tified wrote:you should not be running a bov on a genII 3sgte that still uses the AFM.

BS

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » May 20th, 2009, 10:14 pm

trd.sports.m wrote:
gt4tified wrote:you should not be running a bov on a genII 3sgte that still uses the AFM.

BS

You looking for something to argue about or you just have nuttin to do? Show me where and why what I said is BS? I can give first-hand experience about this...what about you? Oh noes, I now remember, all your horsepower was ON de ground not TO the ground.

Zeriam
punchin NOS

Postby Zeriam » May 20th, 2009, 10:27 pm

gt4tified,why shouldnt u run a bov on 2nd gen 3sgte? is there a performace loss?

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » May 21st, 2009, 9:29 am

I'll give a rough explanation. The AFM gen 2 3sgte measures air by the air flow meter, which is right after the filter.
When the air is sucked in from the turbo the AFM measures the amount of air, sends the measurement to the ecu which would then know how much fuel to add to the air to create the optimum mixture. If you add a bov that releases air to the atmosphere, that would be air that was already meatured by the AFM before, so fuel would already be accommodated for it since it is now released to the atm you would have this extra fuel and no additional air to mix it thus making the mixture rich, drowning out your idle between shifts(thats when the bov releases the air) causing the engine to stumble, poor shifting, poor response and idle surging, fouled plugs, rich mixture, loss of performance.

If you add a vpc, it gets rid of the AFM and adds a map sensor which meters the air after the throttle body by the intake manifold which eliminates this problem. The 3rd gen 3sgte has a map sensor.

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 21st, 2009, 3:02 pm

Trac stop confusing a "ricey" application with a well intended engineering solution to compressor surge nah.

(wikipedia) "A compressor bypass valve (CBV), also known as a compressor relief valve or diverter valve, is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system of a turbocharged car when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake (before the turbo) but after the mass airflow sensor."

simple maths. a blow off valve is a highly recommended upgrade for every turbo application and no standard car whether AFM or MAP sensor equipped comes without one nowadays from OEMs.
when ricers who need to hear their cars sneeze to validate their manhood take these well intended divices and install them for use in a way that they were never intended then problems arise.
Even with systems that do not require an AFM signal, venting a blow off valve into the atmosphere affects transient throttle response negatively.

vis a vis

bullllllllshiiittttt!!!!!

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » May 21st, 2009, 4:17 pm

trd.sports.m, you shooting yourself in your leg. I dont understand your point.

You are refering to a BPV, which reroutes the air BACK INTO THE SYSTEM. NOT RELEASED TO THE ATMOSPHERE. This is different to a BOV in the way it manages compressor surge. One releases it into the atmosphere(BOV) the other reroutes it back into intake track(BPV)
Thats the difference right there. A bov will NOT work with my 2nd gen 3s or any 2nd gen afm 3s for that matter. Ive tried it and got poor results and cutting off. My 2nd gen 3sgte came with a FACTORY BPV(bypass valve) which reroutes the air back into the intake track thus reintroducing the air back into the system to be mixed with the fuel keeping the mixtures optimum also reducing compressor surge.
If you ever added a BOV(blow off valve, ihave to keep stressing this now lol) on a 2nd gen 3s and noticed no change in engine behaviour, chances are your 3s was working like sheit to begin with :lol: :lol:

I didnt need to wikipedia that either cause im pulling from my own experiences from the celica and mr2. Im not a keyboard 2nr. IMO Ralph is correct in saying a BOV(not to be confused with a BPV) should not be used on a gen2 3sgte. Ideally to fight compressor suge you should be using a BPV which comes on most turbocharged cars now from the Factory.

TESTED performance
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby TESTED performance » May 21st, 2009, 4:50 pm

"A blow off valve goes under many different names such as dump, bypass, recirc (short for recirculation), diverter, and pop off valves. No one term is correct, the lingo just tends to change in different regions and countries. Basically these valves are all designed to the same job, and we will refer to all types as blow-off valves to save confusion." courtesy keyboard tunerland! http://www.gofastbits.com/index.php?par ... =tech_info

Anybody who can provide proof that the term "blow off valve" is not a blanket term and instead it relates SPECIFICALLY to relief valves that vent ONLY to the atmosphere, would be greatly appreciated. :roll:
(and people keep asking me why i no longer post on these forums...)

Also AND MORE IMPORTANTLY i would appreciate anybody who can provide evidence that the type of blow off valve that vents to the atmosphere has any SIGNIFICANT advantage over the recirculating type in terms of throttle response and turbo longevity(which are the only reasons the valve exists) in MAP sensor equipped engines.

The fact is that one type of valve was designed as an engineering solution to the problem of compressor surge and the other is a marketing device aimed at misinformed ricers who care more about perception than performance.

Conrad
punchin NOS

Postby Conrad » May 21st, 2009, 6:45 pm

I don't know about Toyotas but with Nissans recirculated BOV's are standard on Sylines i.e. not vented to air but rerouted back into the intake system.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”