TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

141 Toyota Fielder Wagon [ late 2006-2012 ] Q & A Thread ...

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: The New model Fielder wagon Q & A Thread ....

Postby ramishrrr » May 21st, 2016, 8:30 pm

The 1NZ engine which is featured in the NZE 121, 141 and 161 is a pretty good engine. That is why Toyota is using it for over 10 years now. Somewhere in the facelifted NZE 121, they went with drive-by-wire (electronic throttle) on the engine, which is quite more reliable than the Nissan QG and HR throttles.
The CVT transmission is proving to be quite a failure in the NZE 141, and soon the NZE 161. Ask any wrecker truck driver, and he will tell you about the amount of Axios, and Fielders he has taken to the mechanic. And it appears that changing the CVT oil would just delay the ultimate failure. It is quite possible that the transmission on the 141 and 161 be the same.
Recently I took my sister's Fielder to do the transmission………TT$12,000 !!!! at Charles on Papourie road. The oil was changed just two months before…..one-and-a-half-gallons, at $475 per. it does not come in quarts. ! And that's how I know about the wrecker drivers.
LIke Mr. Charles said, the idea of CVT is to save fuel, and protect the environment. However the average car owner still is losing. He is saving fuel and protecting the environment yes, but spending zillions in repairing the dotish transmission that all car manufacturers are putting in their cars.
Peace.
RR.
Last edited by ramishrrr on May 24th, 2016, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » May 23rd, 2016, 12:07 pm

I'm getting slight noise out of my engine. I'm not sure if it's pinging, but it's a noise.
I've tried using premium but I still get it.

It is not consistent and sometimes can be silenced my mashing harder on the accelerator.

Sometimes I get the noise while cruising, sometimes it's when the CVT is changing to a higher ratio and the RPM drops to 1000 for cruising, sometimes it's on a hill. I usually only take gas at one fuel station, Unipet St. Augustine.

Can someone please advise? I do not want to damage anything.

_Rajiv_
3NE 2NR for life

Postby _Rajiv_ » May 23rd, 2016, 12:29 pm

ramishrrr wrote: It is quite possible that the transmission on the 141 and 161 be the same.

Confirming that the transmissions are different. NZE141 carries the K310 Transmission, NZE161 carries the K312 Transmission

The main difference from a driving perspective is that the gear shifts in the NZE161 is simulated to give you the feeling of a regular transmission but it is still a cvt transmission.

russian123
Street 2NR

Postby russian123 » May 24th, 2016, 12:21 pm

ramishrrr wrote:The 1NZ engine which is featured in the NZE 121, 141 and 161 is a pretty good engine. That is why Toyota is using it for over 10 years now. Somewhere in the facelifted NZE 121, they went with drive-by-wire (electronic throttle) on the engine, which is quite more reliable than the Nissan QG and HR throttles.
The CVT transmission is proving to be quite a failure in the NZE 141, and soon the NZE 161. Ask any wrecker truck driver, and he will tell you about the amount of Axios, and Fielders he has taken to the mechanic. And it appears that changing the CVT oil would just delay the ultimate failure. It is quite possible that the transmission on the 141 and 161 be the same.
Recently I took my sister's Fielder to do the transmission………TT$14,000 !!!! at Charles on Papourie road. The oil was changed just two months before…..one-and-a-half-gallons, at $475 per. it does not come in quarts. ! And that's how I know about the wrecker drivers.
LIke Mr. Charles said, the idea of CVT is to save fuel, and protect the environment. However the average car owner still is losing. He is saving fuel and protecting the environment yes, but spending zillions in repairing the dotish transmission that all car manufacturers are putting in their cars.
Peace.
RR.

When the oil was changed before, was the correct CVT tc oil used, and what was the method of changing the oil, pump or flush. What was the problem that caused the transmission to fail, 14k is crazy

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » May 24th, 2016, 10:49 pm

Sorry. $12,000 not $14,000.
The sump was dropped and cleaned.
Original Toyota CVT fluid was used.
We don't know what caused it to fail.
Peace.
RR.

Nikolas
Riding on 13's

Postby Nikolas » May 31st, 2016, 6:02 pm

New to the forum...I went to a RORO dealer today selling the fielder 2012 @115k.... strongly considered purchasing till I'm hearing bout sll these transmission issues.. so my question is.. what is the possability of the transmission failing and is there any preventative measures I can take to avoid such issues????

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » June 1st, 2016, 7:30 am

First of all, $115k is pretty high.
Secondly, as with all RORO vehicles, change all fluids. Don't take the dealer's word for it.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » June 1st, 2016, 2:50 pm

DJ Q wrote:I'm getting slight noise out of my engine. I'm not sure if it's pinging, but it's a noise.
I've tried using premium but I still get it.

It is not consistent and sometimes can be silenced my mashing harder on the accelerator.

Sometimes I get the noise while cruising, sometimes it's when the CVT is changing to a higher ratio and the RPM drops to 1000 for cruising, sometimes it's on a hill. I usually only take gas at one fuel station, Unipet St. Augustine.

Can someone please advise? I do not want to damage anything.

For those with this problem it comes down to either cleaning carbon deposits in your intake valves or changing your spark plugs.

I did the cleaning first, which helped a little bit, but ultimately changing spark plugs was my solution.

Nikolas
Riding on 13's

Postby Nikolas » June 1st, 2016, 11:59 pm

Great thanks.. but my major concern is if it's safe to use a cvt transmission car as opposed to the regular automatic???.. I mean Im going from an ad wagon with no problems to buying something else and I don't want any problems that I never had

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » June 2nd, 2016, 7:19 am

Nikolas wrote:Great thanks.. but my major concern is if it's safe to use a cvt transmission car as opposed to the regular automatic???.. I mean Im going from an ad wagon with no problems to buying something else and I don't want any problems that I never had

As with anything in technological advancement, there are the possible drawbacks.
I've had my car for a little over 2.5 years and had to rebuild transmission last year around this time.
$7,000 later, I still have no regrets with this vehicle.

Nikolas
Riding on 13's

Postby Nikolas » June 2nd, 2016, 8:16 am

$7000 doesnt seem so bad after a couple years hmm..... ok thanks for all the help

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » June 2nd, 2016, 8:19 am

Currently have mines an making 3 years by December. .knock on wood no probs yet..I just diligently change my fluids on time and my engine oil is ams oil 10w 30 . although my current mileage is 130k

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » June 2nd, 2016, 9:16 am

Nikolas wrote:$7000 doesnt seem so bad after a couple years hmm..... ok thanks for all the help

$7,000 was just that transmission job.

Since I've owned the car I've done a little over 71,000KM.
Total running cost thus far is $24,033 (October 2013)

Nikolas
Riding on 13's

Postby Nikolas » June 2nd, 2016, 12:05 pm

Wow!!!!!! I don't think I'm prepared/able to spend all that cash on transmission maintenance but as urbandilema said his situation is a bit different so It's not a one all be all type deal.. Over all the car is a quite I nice one and it is toyota so that's an additional plus... once serviced correctly and on time I guess it should be ok

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: RE: Re: The New model Fielder wagon Q & A Thread ....

Postby urbandilema » June 2nd, 2016, 3:07 pm

Nikolas wrote:Wow!!!!!! I don't think I'm prepared/able to spend all that cash on transmission maintenance but as urbandilema said his situation is a bit different so It's not a one all be all type deal.. Over all the car is a quite I nice one and it is toyota so that's an additional plus... once serviced correctly and on time I guess it should be ok

Nah it ain't different..I does make east as arima to sando almost 6 times for the week.its all in maintenance but it's all in your budget and spending. It's a nze 141 I using...doesn't burn gas as much but maintenence is higher.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » June 3rd, 2016, 7:27 am

Oh I forgot to say that total running cost includes gas.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 4th, 2016, 10:58 am

going from a AD to a fielder is like chalk & cheese - thats exactly what i did too , NO regrets

i am no mechanic or expert but like i said few times b4 : what i think contributes alot to cvt failing apart from lack of maintenance is d actual mileage of d cars , u realllllly think that 30k u seeing by any roro dealer is real ? - most likely closer to 100+ , so when u thinking buh wa goin orn here when this car eh even do 50k : 50k is what u seeing but reality is a different story

have my fielder 5yrs now , dont have much cause to do long driving so no problems yet

my bro has his 3yrs & does waaay more driving than i do & no problems with his either yet , he regularly maintains & take care of his though ......

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 6th, 2016, 5:23 am

I have a fielder which I put over 100k on , no problems.
CVT's are actually very simple if you ever see the guts of one,
but due to the metal belt they use and the constant shifting of the cones inside
proper scheduled oil changes are a must.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » June 6th, 2016, 5:54 am

And filter too..change that right times...also to me it depends on how much wear it had b4 in japan b4 well just saying ..mines is so far goin on to 132 km got it on rong 35k when I purchased mines

russian123
Street 2NR

Postby russian123 » June 6th, 2016, 10:44 am

pugboy wrote:I have a fielder which I put over 100k on , no problems.
CVT's are actually very simple if you ever see the guts of one,
but due to the metal belt they use and the constant shifting of the cones inside
proper scheduled oil changes are a must.

What is the recommended oil change interval ?

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » June 6th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Engine:
5- 7k km or 6 months whichever comes first
10w30 oil

Transmission:
80,000 or 5 years, whichever comes first
Toyota CVT oil

That's what I saw in a roughly translated service manual.
However, a lot of repair shops recommending changing CVT oil every year or 20,000KM.

Feel free to correct any info above.

_Rajiv_
3NE 2NR for life

Postby _Rajiv_ » June 6th, 2016, 12:31 pm

DJ Q wrote:However, a lot of repair shops recommending changing CVT oil every year or 20,000KM.

Do you think installation of a secondary transmission oil cooler would be of any benefit to the toyota cvt transmission?

wavehunter
Street 2NR

Re: Fielder wagon [ late 2006-2012 ] Q & A Thread ....

Postby wavehunter » July 2nd, 2016, 7:42 am

I am looking at the discussion and still don't have a clear picture which gas should be used with the new fielders. I am looking to possibly purchase one but I don't want to be spending too much money on premium gas.

Also can anyone say where to get the original transmission fluid for this car ?

Any issues other than transmission problems were experienced by anyone ?

Does Toyota Trinidad carry original parts for the fielder ?

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » July 4th, 2016, 7:09 am

wavehunter wrote:I am looking at the discussion and still don't have a clear picture which gas should be used with the new fielders. I am looking to possibly purchase one but I don't want to be spending too much money on premium gas.

It runs fine on super

wavehunter wrote:Also can anyone say where to get the original transmission fluid for this car ?

Roach's has it. It's pretty easy to find.

wavehunter wrote:Any issues other than transmission problems were experienced by anyone ?

The central A/C vents are pretty brittle.

wavehunter wrote:Does Toyota Trinidad carry original parts for the fielder ?

Yes, however, even their own staff advises that you check elsewhere.

CB Style
Sweet on this forum

Postby CB Style » July 7th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Anyone with a NZE141 (Axio or Fielder) bought a reverse cam kit with the camera fitting properly in the slot above the rear license plate to the left? If you did, please post the name brand or even where you got it from.

wavehunter
Street 2NR

Postby wavehunter » July 10th, 2016, 8:51 am

How much does it cost to replace the transmission fliud for the fielder and who is a good person to check.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » July 11th, 2016, 7:48 am

wavehunter wrote:How much does it cost to replace the transmission fliud for the fielder and who is a good person to check.

Auto8 on Aranguez Main Road.
Somewhere around $1,600 to do it including the cost of the oil

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: RE: Re: Fielder wagon [ late 2006-2012 ] Q & A Thread ....

Postby urbandilema » July 11th, 2016, 1:36 pm

DJ Q wrote:
wavehunter wrote:How much does it cost to replace the transmission fliud for the fielder and who is a good person to check.

Auto8 on Aranguez Main Road.
Somewhere around $1,600 to do it including the cost of the oil

Oil jus be about 550 a pan and u need 2 to the service...if u find the filter looks old u change it which cost me 350 to 400...the Labour goes from 200 to 400..by dais down south side without the TX fluid...I changed mine at ramai in debe side or in coffee street..also another greater knowledgeable mech is Keith Charles I believe in Duncan village side or if u going to palmiste..

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » July 12th, 2016, 5:02 am

Unfortunately for the modern-day-car owner, all Japanese manufacturers are fitting their passenger cars with CVTs. As the posts and transmission repairmen would show, it's lifespan is short indeed…………But then transmission repairmen, wrecker drivers, parts place owners, oil producers have to eat-ah-food too !!!
About the only car that comes with a regular transmission is the Y12 Nissan AD van. And that is really a commercial vehicle in Japan.
In the earlies, the auto press was saying that the Nissan Xtroid CVT fitted on the bigger Nissan vehicles was pretty good. I don't know. But the small Nissan cars' CVT is holding out so far.
The NZE141 Fielder and Axio giving people lix for sure. Ask the wrecker drivers.
The new NZE 161 CVT might be different from the 141, but the car real noisy inside, I tell you.
The days of long lasting products was over a long time ago. The idea of being a automotive manufacturer is about selling vehicles. I remember as a young man, I used to see the Volvo ad at the back of TIME magazine "The Life Expectancy of A Volvo in Sweden is 17 Years". Sure, that was then. But which car manufacturer wants you to buy a car once in 17 years ? Hell, they would go out of business !!
Besides, what young woman driving a new flashy Sportage or Tucson wants to be seen driving that until she becomes a grandmother ?
Too, your son or daughter will need employment as they grow up. Maybe a parts place will employ them. Maybe they will be a car salesman/woman. Maybe an importer of CVT oil. Maybe a transmission repairwoman or a wrecker owner/driver.
Allyuh get mih drift ? Nothing eh make tuh las' forever.
Check how much cell phone repairmen there are………Because you drop the cell phone. Because it fell in the washing machine. Because the gorilla glass starts to cloud-up. Because the charging port bad. Cell phone repairmen have to eat-ah-food too !
My sister spent TT$12,000 on a 7-year old NZE141 transmission. Plenty people in Trinidad spend more than that on cell phones in a 7-year period………….and yuh cyar ride or drive ah cell phone still !!!
Like I said, car manufacturers are in the business to sell cars. They do not care if after 5 years the transmissions fail.
Volvo do not care if their cars last less than 17 years in Trinidad.

Peace.
RR.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » July 12th, 2016, 9:54 am

I honestly don't believe it's an issue with the CVT.
My Rover 200 had CVT as well and when it started to give problems it was due to the same issue... namely lack of maintenance.

If owners of these cars knew that engine oil is not the only thing that needs to be changed, I'm very sure the failure rate wouldn't be so high. Even though I had to rebuild my transmission, total running costs per day comes down to $32.85.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”