TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

5A-F inner distributor seal

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Motofreek
Street 2NR

5A-F inner distributor seal

Postby Motofreek » September 26th, 2011, 6:00 am

Aye fellas, anybody know how to change the inner seal on a 5A-F distributor ?

I already take out the distributor from the engine and partially scrapped it open but I'm not sure how to remove the shaft. From what I see, I need to remove a pin at the top of the shaft that is holding gear (well it's not really a gear)

Is this right ???

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: 5A-F inner distributor seal

Postby Hook » September 26th, 2011, 2:58 pm

whaaaaa? breds, that dizzy isn't designed to be disassembled jus so

Is is that you're getting oil inside the distributor? Are you certain it's from that seal or from the outer seal? I ask this because there are tiny holes all around and at the back of the dizzy through which oil can seep if the outer seal is leaky.

Motofreek
Street 2NR

Postby Motofreek » September 26th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Mr. Hook, I beg to differ. On friday last I went to a nearby auto parts retailer and purchased the two seals - the inner AND the outer. The fact that the inner seal was available for purchase means that that dizzy (5A-F = Carburetor...by the way - NOT 5A-FE !) was completely serviceable. If you want an exploded view of the dissassembly check here...

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_198808 ... _1902.html

Unfortunately, I was unable to remove the drive end of the shaft because of the pin that was machine pressed. This pin was so tightly pressed it could not be removed the normal way i.e with a hammer and a drift punch. The pin was actually "mushroomed" into the hole meaning that after insertion, it was compacted on both sides at the same time causing it to expand on either side. Today I took the DISSASSEMBLED part and to the machine shop to have this pin removed. After doing so I replaced the inner seal and had the Machinist re-insert the pin. I reassembled the entire dizzy and changed the outer O-ring seal.

Just a moment ago, I installed bach onto the engine and started the car !

I hope this was useful....................

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » September 26th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Well done meng!
I came across that same issue with the pin before when I was changing my seals (never got the inner seal to buy anywhere either) and figured ppl just weren't meant to get all up in there nuh. But the prob was as I described with the faulty outer seal and small amounts of oil were seeping in through the tiny holes, so I didn't trouble trouble.

That exploded pic shows the shaft being disassembled from the cap end though. If so, was the trouble of removing the pin really necessary?

Still, this is very good information to have.

Motofreek
Street 2NR

Postby Motofreek » September 26th, 2011, 8:38 pm

I have owned three different models of corollas thus far. I know that as soon as ppl see oil coming out from the distributor region they say to change the O-ring on the dizzy. I honestly have never heard ANY mechanic say anything about that inner seal. I know the inner seal was leaking because I saw a good bit of oil inside the dizzy and it seemed to be coming from the bearing area.
Only after doing a couple hours of reading on the net, I discovered that there was a replacable inner seal. Of course, it's aftermarket 'cause TOYOTA doesn't recognise the interior of the dizzy as servicable - so don't bother to even try to get an "original inner seal". It doesn't exist for sale !
For anyone who wants a complete kit, it could be ordered online from here:

http://kbox.ca/catalog/product_info.php ... cts_id/262

I purchased both seals at Chase Village Auto Supplies (a.k.a Billy's Auto)

Outer seal O-Ring : $8.00
Inner seal : $25.00
Machine Shop Job: $40.00
Total : $73.00

Many ppl told me to replace the entire dizzy !

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » September 4th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Just stumbled across this thread looking for instructions on how to replace the inner seal on my 4AGE. Got the O ring outer seal and the inner one from Toyota but can anyone give me a step by step on how to replace the inner seal please ?

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”