TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Hybrid 165 Fielders and Axio specific

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

b5er
Street 2NR

Re: Hybrid Fielders and Axio specific

Postby b5er » November 12th, 2018, 5:56 pm

supernedd wrote:Can any of those batteries be saved?

Yes they can, the modules can be cleaned and reconditioned to bring them back to life. I have only seen one instance where a module was damaged to point where it could not be reconditioned.

supernedd wrote: Whats d next step

Well as stated above, a thorough cleaning must be done to remove the mud/dirt residue. if left as is, the salts present in the mud will react with the metal component on the pack and cause its premature failure.
After cleaning, the modules will need to be recharged to determine their State of Health.
If all is well with the modules, then the pack can be balanced to place it back in service.

supernedd wrote:How much to replace

Local used battery packs go for about $7500, plus the technicians fee.

supernedd wrote:Or car gonna be used without any batteries at all?

The car cannot be used without the hybrid battery for many reasons, one being that there is no "12 volt starter" like a conventional car, instead the HV battery is used to turn a motor in the transmission which starts the engine. So no HV battery means the engine will not even attempt to start.

b5er
Street 2NR

Postby b5er » November 12th, 2018, 6:22 pm

hotrod2 wrote:Hi Guys,
Nice post I'm glad to see a thread with info on the hybrids. I'm looking to upgrade and i was thinking about these fielder hybrid but i'm still a bit skeptical about these in terms of people servicing them, parts, battery failing etc. I just would like some good advice on which should i get the non hybrid version or the hybrid. Keep up the good work guys.

Like anything else, maintenance is key. So having an experienced hybrid vehicle technician working on our car is gonna be your saving grace with this vehicle. Don't be scared of the technology, it works.
To prevent battery failure, I suggest you get the HV Battery pack serviced and cleaned every 60,000 km to 80,000 km, or every 3 to 4 years.
There are a lot of techs out there who can handle these task, myself included, and with the proliferation of hybrid technology training courses being offered, means that a whole bunch of new techs will be out there filling the hybrid servicing needs.

Kevin_45
Street 2NR

Postby Kevin_45 » November 12th, 2018, 6:25 pm

b5er wrote:
hotrod2 wrote:To prevent battery failure, I suggest you get the HV Battery pack serviced and cleaned every 60,000 km to 80,000 km, or every 3 to 4 years.

how exactly is the battery serviced?

b5er
Street 2NR

Postby b5er » November 12th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Kevin_45 wrote:
b5er wrote:
hotrod2 wrote:To prevent battery failure, I suggest you get the HV Battery pack serviced and cleaned every 60,000 km to 80,000 km, or every 3 to 4 years.

The HV battery has to be completely disassembled and cleaned to remove the build up of dust, grit dirt, etc, which gets between each module and blocks the air pathways needed to cool them. The electrical connections which terminates each battery module also needs to be cleaned to remove the corrosion which is inherent in all battery systems.

hotrod2
Street 2NR

Postby hotrod2 » November 14th, 2018, 8:54 am

b5er wrote:
Kevin_45 wrote:
b5er wrote:

The HV battery has to be completely disassembled and cleaned to remove the build up of dust, grit dirt, etc, which gets between each module and blocks the air pathways needed to cool them. The electrical connections which terminates each battery module also needs to be cleaned to remove the corrosion which is inherent in all battery systems.

Hey thanks for the info and advice. I would also like to know do they under wash these vehicles or this is not advised due to the battery pack. We live in a country where flooding is an issue and if some water was to get under these cars would it cause major damage to the battery?

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » November 14th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Underwashing the vehicle should not be a problem. All HV cables are well insulated.
Immersing the car in water, ( read: driving the car through floodwaters) where migration of water into the cabin is a possibility is asking for trouble.
Peace.
RR.

Fearless
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Fearless » November 14th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Anyone ever tried doing an engine wash?

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » November 15th, 2018, 3:46 pm

If you know how the system is built, and operates it will help.
There are folks out there who believe that no water should be intentionally used to clean an engine compartment, and will testify in court about the problems they, or other parties had when the engine was washed.
I am not going to start an argument on this forum. Let a man believe what he wants to believe.

I have washed hybrid engine compartments in Nissan, Honda, Mazda and Toyota vehicles without problems, even using an electric Black and Decker power washer.
Your ignition must be turned off, and key removed from vehicle.
It is better for the vehicle to be cleaned when the engine and system is cold.
In vehicles with heavier laydown of dirt (3-4year old) I give a light spraying of Purple Blaster, leave it for a minute or two, then wash off.
On the use of a power washer, you would not want to use maximum pressure, as it is not a Barber-Greene machine you are cleaning. Keep the nozzle away from major electrical components. While components are reasonably sealed, you are not performing a leak test of anything!
A watch that says "water resistant" means that if it gets wet with normal wearing, that's ok. But the maker does not want you to dive with it, or drop it for two days in the aquarium.
I have underwashed the same Hybrid vehicles using the same solvent and power washer. None of the owners had problems afterwards.

Peace.
RR..

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » November 16th, 2018, 6:10 pm

https://youtu.be/Q3RCdrh666w
Changing a battery in a Prius hybrid

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » November 16th, 2018, 7:13 pm

WHY IT IS BETTER TO RUN A/C WHILE DRIVING THE HYBRID.

Lots of people (ever more so since the last budget) drive with the windows down, as "I doe like air condition". But, is it really so ? How come yuh doe complain about A/C when yuh in Royal Bank line for hours ?
What about saving gas ?
Especially with those North/South seven seater taxis ?....passengers sweating all the way to POS !
Well yes, you do save gas without using the A/C in a gasoline driven car. Period. However you have to put up with noise, diesel trucks, no silencer vehicles, booming audio right behind you----yuh cyar hear yours, later problems with power windows, smell from the Forres Park garbage dump and the pig farm in Freeport, solid black carbon deposits from the diesel exhaust, and DUST galore !

Well, we have to approach the Hybrid differently as regards these issues.
While the A/C compressor in the gasoline-driven car takes direct drive via a belt on the front engine pulley, the hybrid vehicle uses an electric compressor that gets power from the HV system. ( It eh even have ah pulley. Dey call it ah HARMONIC BALANCER)
So, yes, while the ICE is the main charging device for the HV battery pack, regenerative braking....the wheels on braking/coasting generate power also.
So, the quantity of fossil energy used indirectly to run the A/C compressor in a Hybrid Fielder, should be lower than that of a gasoline driven Fielder, both going from point A to point B on a specific day with same driving conditions, and similar A/C settings.
Agreed ?
Ok.
The other issue, which I consider important is the HV battery pack under the rear seat. All Toyota Hybrids use a LV blower or blowers to cool the HV battery pack. This blower takes air from the passenger compartment and blows it through cooling channels in the HV battery pack. There is a temperature sensor in the battery pack. Obviously, if the temperature goes too high, we will have problems.
Just remember:
1. Our atmospheric temperature on this side of the Atlantic can go up pretty high.
2. In traffic situations ( Where substantial charging and discharging of the HV battery pack goes on, heat is generated ) ambient air currents cannot get into your car.
3. Dust buildup at the air intake filter can restrict air-flow.

So, what do we do to help our HV battery pack keep cool ? Yes, you guessed it. Run the A/C................with the windows up eh !
It will keep you cool too.

Peace.
RR.

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » November 23rd, 2018, 11:07 pm

Respect to Venum and Ramishrrr.
Great information posted.
Thinking about purchasing a Hybrid Fielder myself.
Either that or the Honda Vezel.

Dborse
Riding on 13's

Postby Dborse » November 29th, 2018, 10:59 pm

I have a 2015 wxb model FIELDER PEARL WHITE.
Very nice ride. loving it. will encourage people to go for them.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » November 30th, 2018, 9:19 pm

mad wrote:Respect to Venum and Ramishrrr.
Great information posted.
Thinking about purchasing a Hybrid Fielder myself.
Either that or the Honda Vezel.
That vezel sexy

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » December 2nd, 2018, 4:45 pm

Ok gentlemen, I hear you.

Trinidad, being a former commonwealth country, had a large population of English cars. Japanese came on stream in the early seventies, although Toyota must have entered in the late sixties. Trinidad became Datsun (later Nissan) country with the introduction of the 120Y. As time would prove, the Japanese became a power to contend with, their teachers becoming in turn, their students.
Things are changing now with the introduction of Hybrids here, and will further change as we go fully electric.
In the auto world of Hybrids, there are many manufacturers out there now, with the German, British, Italian and American hyper-Sport-car manufacturers playing a very hasty catch-up.
While Honda released the Insight Hybrid in 1999 and Toyota released the Prius in 2003, it was Toyota that made the Hybrid car mass produced for the world market. Because of the success of the Prius, Toyota has other Hybrid models with its subsidiary Lexus. The widest range of Hybrid vehicles can be found in the Toyota line-up today. Those in the technology field will indicate rather guardedly, that many of the newcomers are copying the Toyota systems.

We have to be honest with ourselves, that no one in T&T have that much experience with Hybrids to proclaim "qualified, certified, experienced Hybrid Technician ". We are at the learning stage, the reason why some technical schools are trying to cash in on a quickie "Hybrid Technician Course".
........................But, we will get there. For sure.

Which begs the question, Which Hybrid is better...........or best ?
Well, a lot of factors have to be considered for this here your good ole T&T car market.

1. Which manufacturer has more Hybrid experience ?
2. What is the cost of the unit you are thinking about buying ? Have you compared it to the Hybrid from the other manufacturers cost-wise ? Money, 99.9% of the time is the determining factor.
2. Which brand is more popular here ? This will help you to figure out the availability and cost of body, structural, ancillary, and suspension parts. Later on, it may be the servicing of the hybrid system as technology catches on.

Yes, while we are on the road to fully electric cars, the Hybrid will be here for a while whether we like it or not. Change is inevitable.
At one time everyone had something to say about front-wheel-drive cars.
That was followed by " Boy, I know how tuh clean my kyabarator oui ! Me eh know nutten 'bout fuel-injection nah !"

If we do not go forward with technology, we will eventually realize that we are actually going backwards.

Peace.
RR.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » December 2nd, 2018, 7:54 pm

ramishrrr wrote:Ok gentlemen, I hear you.

Trinidad, being a former commonwealth country, had a large population of English cars. Japanese came on stream in the early seventies, although Toyota must have entered in the late sixties. Trinidad became Datsun (later Nissan) country with the introduction of the 120Y. As time would prove, the Japanese became a power to contend with, their teachers becoming in turn, their students.
Things are changing now with the introduction of Hybrids here, and will further change as we go fully electric.
In the auto world of Hybrids, there are many manufacturers out there now, with the German, British, Italian and American hyper-Sport-car manufacturers playing a very hasty catch-up.
While Honda released the Insight Hybrid in 1999 and Toyota released the Prius in 2003, it was Toyota that made the Hybrid car mass produced for the world market. Because of the success of the Prius, Toyota has other Hybrid models with its subsidiary Lexus. The widest range of Hybrid vehicles can be found in the Toyota line-up today. Those in the technology field will indicate rather guardedly, that many of the newcomers are copying the Toyota systems.

We have to be honest with ourselves, that no one in T&T have that much experience with Hybrids to proclaim "qualified, certified, experienced Hybrid Technician ". We are at the learning stage, the reason why some technical schools are trying to cash in on a quickie "Hybrid Technician Course".
........................But, we will get there. For sure.

Which begs the question, Which Hybrid is better...........or best ?
Well, a lot of factors have to be considered for this here your good ole T&T car market.

1. Which manufacturer has more Hybrid experience ?
2. What is the cost of the unit you are thinking about buying ? Have you compared it to the Hybrid from the other manufacturers cost-wise ? Money, 99.9% of the time is the determining factor.
2. Which brand is more popular here ? This will help you to figure out the availability and cost of body, structural, ancillary, and suspension parts. Later on, it may be the servicing of the hybrid system as technology catches on.

Yes, while we are on the road to fully electric cars, the Hybrid will be here for a while whether we like it or not. Change is inevitable.
At one time everyone had something to say about front-wheel-drive cars.
That was followed by " Boy, I know how tuh clean my kyabarator oui ! Me eh know nutten 'bout fuel-injection nah !"

If we do not go forward with technology, we will eventually realize that we are actually going backwards.

Peace.
RR.
Preach ...we still need good diesel mechanics

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » December 5th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Touching base folks, glad to see you all are enjoying the posts and content
really great posts there ramishrrr, excellent job. I have not read all as yet, but the ones i did were pretty much on point
I hope more people read these posts hoping to dispel the myths about Hybrids

This is what your HV isolator looks like in the Fielder\Axio\Aqua
IMG_1369.JPG

It is located under the back seat, next to the battery. Its not a emergency HV isolation switch, but more a maintenance isolation\safety switch
It works similar to the one in the Prius, which is actually easier to access, from the trunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0cjxpS7KeY

Guys make sure to have your vehicle inspections done. 2014 model years and older would require it from Jan 2019. The process is painless and just takes some time and $300 fee. You need to have your certified copy and valid insurance. you dont need to go as teh owner, you can send someone. I did mine at Active General Traders Ltd in Balmain Couva and it was a real good experience, got paperwork and sticker same time. There are many private garages that can do it, you can go anywhere, Just make sure and do it if it is applicable to you.

hotrod2
Street 2NR

Postby hotrod2 » December 9th, 2018, 8:10 am

Good Day Guys,

Nice advice on the Hybrids. I have decided to make the change and i'm looking to purchase one the Fielder Hybrids soon. I'm looking at some dealers to make a purchase but i wanted to know from you guys which dealers from experience are reputable?
So far i was looking at:
HSM Marketing Company
PAK Trading Co
CK Imports
Datguy Consultants
RicRoc Motors

I visited PAK Trading yesterday and they have a nice selection of the fielders. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » December 9th, 2018, 9:21 am

venum wrote:Touching base folks, glad to see you all are enjoying the posts and content
really great posts there ramishrrr, excellent job. I have not read all as yet, but the ones i did were pretty much on point
I hope more people read these posts hoping to dispel the myths about Hybrids

This is what your HV isolator looks like in the Fielder\Axio\Aqua
IMG_1369.JPG

It is located under the back seat, next to the battery. Its not a emergency HV isolation switch, but more a maintenance isolation\safety switch
It works similar to the one in the Prius, which is actually easier to access, from the trunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0cjxpS7KeY

Guys make sure to have your vehicle inspections done. 2014 model years and older would require it from Jan 2019. The process is painless and just takes some time and $300 fee. You need to have your certified copy and valid insurance. you dont need to go as teh owner, you can send someone. I did mine at Active General Traders Ltd in Balmain Couva and it was a real good experience, got paperwork and sticker same time. There are many private garages that can do it, you can go anywhere, Just make sure and do it if it is applicable to you.
What is the procedure for inspection. If i had my engine change?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » December 13th, 2018, 3:47 pm

you would more than likely have to get the cert copy ammended

you can try tho, most inspection stations not checking that

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » December 17th, 2018, 5:28 am

This article does not belong to me.

Absorbent Glass Mat Battery (AGM)
Learn what differentiate AGM from other lead acid battery types

AGM technology became popular in the early 1980s as a sealed lead acid battery for military aircraft, vehicles and UPS to reduce weight and improve reliability. The sulfuric acid is absorbed by a very fine fiberglass mat, making the battery spill-proof. This enables shipment without hazardous material restrictions. The plates can be made flat to resemble a standard flooded lead acid pack in a rectangular case; they can also be wound into a cylindrical cell.

AGM has very low internal resistance, is capable to deliver high currents on demand and offers a relatively long service life, even when deep cycled. AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead acid type. While regular lead acid batteries need a topping charge every six months to prevent the buildup of sulfation, AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation and can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. The battery stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge.

The leading advantages of AGM are a charge that is up to five times faster than the flooded version, and the ability to deep cycle. AGM offers a depth-of-discharge of 80 percent; the flooded, on the other hand, is specified at 50 percent DoD to attain the same cycle life. The negatives are slightly lower specific energy and higher manufacturing costs than the flooded, but cheaper than the gel battery.

Most AGM batteries are mid-sized and range from 30 to 100Ah. They can also be found in UPS, big and small for stationary and deep cycle use. They are commonly built to size and are found in high-end vehicles to run power-hungry accessories such as heated seats, steering wheels, mirrors and windshields. NASCAR and other auto racing leagues choose AGM products because they are vibration resistant.

AGM is the preferred battery for upscale motorcycles. Being sealed, AGM reduces acid spilling in an accident, lowers the weight for the same performance and allows installation at odd angles. Because of good performance at cold temperatures, AGM batteries are also used for marine, motor home and robotic applications.

AGM is making inroads into the start-stop function of cars. The classic flooded type is simply not robust enough and repeated cycling causes a sharp capacity fade after only two years of use. (See BU-806a: Heat, Loading and Battery Life.)

As with all gelled and sealed units, AGM batteries are sensitive to overcharging. A charge to 2.40V/cell (and higher) is fine; however, the float charge should be reduced to between 2.25 and 2.30V/cell (summer temperatures may require lower voltages). Automotive charging systems for flooded lead acid often have a fixed float voltage setting of 14.40V (2.40V/cell); a direct replacement with a sealed unit could overcharge the battery on a long drive. (See BU-403: Charging Lead Acid.)

AGM and other sealed batteries do not like heat and should be installed away from the engine compartment. Manufacturers recommend halting charge if the battery core reaches 49°C (120°F). Table 1 spells out the advantages and limitations of AGM.

Advantages:
Spill-proof through acid encapsulation in matting technology
High specific power, low internal resistance, responsive to load
Up to 5 times faster charge than with flooded technology
Better cycle life than with flooded systems
Water retention (oxygen and hydrogen combine to produce water)
Vibration resistance due to sandwich construction
Stands up well to cold temperature
Less prone to sulfation if not regularly topping charged

Limitations:
Has less electrolyte and lead than the flooded version
Higher manufacturing cost than flooded 
Sensitive to overcharging (AGM has tighter tolerances than gel)
Capacity has gradual decline (gel has a performance dome)
Low specific energy
Must be stored in charged condition (less critical than flooded)

Peace.
RR.

supernedd
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby supernedd » December 17th, 2018, 4:11 pm

venum wrote:you would more than likely have to get the cert copy ammended

you can try tho, most inspection stations not checking that
I got thru .. took a few days tho . Had to go.. pay n do engine change . Then pay for updated cert..copy... then pay for inspection.. took a week . Had to go n come back three times

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » January 9th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Guys I hope you all have your inspection done

WSB
Riding on 13's

Postby WSB » February 4th, 2019, 2:25 pm

venum wrote:on premium so far used 2 bars and got 162.5km with 66km on ev
Yeah about that for me too

WSB
Riding on 13's

Postby WSB » February 4th, 2019, 2:39 pm

ramishrrr wrote:Venum,
Yesterday I took the Fielder to Licensing Office.

Adjusted rear brakes. Front pads OK.
Got the engine and transmission oil changed.
The filler cap on the engine had a sticker 0W30, so I replaced it with 0W30.
The transmission oil replacement was just as you said and did.
The mechanic (friend for decades) remarked that the fluids were in pretty good condition still.
New Filters.
Did not want to accept more than $100 !

Battery pack blower. Filter cleaned.

Because the mats are in pristine condition, I will cover them over.
I bought 3M Nomad for the front.
The rear got a Taiwan 3M Nomad knockoff.......one piece.
$200 for each for the front and $360 for the rear piece.
Have to get a mat for the trunk. Black hairy surface collects particles easily.

Have a Pioneer MVH-300EX to replace the fancy Pioneer Carrozzeria it came with.
Pity my daughter can't read Japanese !
The low beams are PIAA HID.
The high beam is normal yellow light (like that).

Hope to pay for registration today.

Peace.
RR.
Need the help guys, which transmission fluid will I use in 2014 Toyota Hybrid WXB feilder?
An where can I find sparkplugs for this hybrid as well? Denso FK16BR-AL8

WSB
Riding on 13's

Postby WSB » February 4th, 2019, 2:42 pm

WSB wrote:
ramishrrr wrote:Venum,
Yesterday I took the Fielder to Licensing Office.

Adjusted rear brakes. Front pads OK.
Got the engine and transmission oil changed.
The filler cap on the engine had a sticker 0W30, so I replaced it with 0W30.
The transmission oil replacement was just as you said and did.
The mechanic (friend for decades) remarked that the fluids were in pretty good condition still.
New Filters.
Did not want to accept more than $100 !

Battery pack blower. Filter cleaned.

Because the mats are in pristine condition, I will cover them over.
I bought 3M Nomad for the front.
The rear got a Taiwan 3M Nomad knockoff.......one piece.
$200 for each for the front and $360 for the rear piece.
Have to get a mat for the trunk. Black hairy surface collects particles easily.

Have a Pioneer MVH-300EX to replace the fancy Pioneer Carrozzeria it came with.
Pity my daughter can't read Japanese !
The low beams are PIAA HID.
The high beam is normal yellow light (like that).

Hope to pay for registration today.

Peace.
RR.
Need the help guys, which transmission fluid will I use in 2014 Toyota Hybrid WXB feilder?
An where can I find sparkplugs for this hybrid as well? Denso FK16BR-AL8
This Japanese manual fellars...... ¿

Jonathan
Sweet on this forum

Postby Jonathan » February 6th, 2019, 9:58 am

The transmission uses Toyota WS fluid.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » February 6th, 2019, 10:36 am

all that info on teh first page

hotrod2
Street 2NR

Postby hotrod2 » February 23rd, 2019, 12:00 pm

Ok Guys i finally got my Fielder Hybrid this week and the car is driving good. In terms of cleaning the battery fan and ventilation system, how soon should i get this cleaned and also who are some good hybrid mechanics you guys would recommend?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » February 25th, 2019, 9:40 am

hotrod2 wrote:Ok Guys i finally got my Fielder Hybrid this week and the car is driving good. In terms of cleaning the battery fan and ventilation system, how soon should i get this cleaned and also who are some good hybrid mechanics you guys would recommend?

congrats, welcome to the club. inbox me your number so I can add you to the whatsapp chat

battery cleaning schedule is usually as needed. it can be different for different ppl based on how they drive, ac on all the time extends the interval, but if your backseat passengers track a lot of duct inside the car, then may be sooner. you would have to do a visual inspection and determine

as for the mechanics, i am not making any recommendations in public as ppl have different experiences with different ppl.

there are quite a few and you can get that in teh whatsapp chats

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » February 25th, 2019, 10:15 am

anyone know if the 165 P510 transmission has a filter to change like the 141?

so far I have just drained and filled fresh new fluid, the 141 has a "sealed" tranny where you gotta access the seals by opening the tranny.

its a point of failure that I do not wanna overlook

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”