TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Buying a PDB Fortuner - What to do First?

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

PK1967
Riding on 13's

Buying a PDB Fortuner - What to do First?

Postby PK1967 » October 16th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Hey, buying a PDB Fortuner (local) with 87k on the odometer. Looks in great condition.

Need some suggestions as what to have changed/flushed/checked/treated so as to ensure that there are no issues going forward.

I want a clean start on this vehicle, and plan to keep it for many years to come.

Any suggestions? Any tips will be very much appreciated.
Last edited by PK1967 on October 18th, 2020, 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PK1967
Riding on 13's

Re: Buying a PDB Fortuner - What to do First?

Postby PK1967 » October 16th, 2020, 6:33 pm

.... also the Fortuners are prone to Injector issues?
If so, what is the best way to guard against this? The injectors (I hear) are very very expensive
Last edited by PK1967 on October 18th, 2020, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: Buying a PBB Fortuner - What to do First?

Postby kamakazi » October 17th, 2020, 2:32 am

I'm guessing it's a diesel first generation Fortuner. I'm basing my advice on the similarities to the hilux.

You can check in the D4D tech thread for more info as well

List of things I usually do with newly acquired used vehicle; but tailored to the Fortuner

-All fluids (engine oil, drain and refill transmission oil, rear diff, transfer case, front diff, power steering fluid using battery water filler)

Change brake fluid when changing brake pads/shoes. Depending on how it was driven the front pads might be on there last at about that mileage is it wasn't change already.

The shoes normally last through about 3 sets of front pads, but again, it ultimately depends on how it was driven

Grease driveshafts

Change fuel filter and drain sedimentor.

Check and replace if necessary: air filter and cabin air filter

Use redline 85 plus or power service diesel kleen in the fuel tank. If things are bad use liquid moly diesel purge.

Not sure if the Fortuner has the vn turbo. If you do have one observe for a loss of power and or excessive smoking. The vanes have been known to stick due to soot deposits.

If it has an egr system, beware of excessive deposits in the intake.
Observe the engine and its exhaust from a cold start.

You will need a timing belt replacement at 150k kms but there is a chance that the water pump will start failing before that mileage.

PK1967
Riding on 13's

Postby PK1967 » October 17th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Thanks much.

Should I Dump the Diesel cleaner in the tank?

Also, what do you think about asking the mechanic to drop the fuel tank and clean? Is that expensive? Good idea?

Last, you know the injectors are going to be an issue at some point. Would be nice to clean them up a bit. So either an additive into the tank itself, or have them add a cleaner (like liquid moly) into the filter casing and run it through that way?
Last edited by PK1967 on October 18th, 2020, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PK1967
Riding on 13's

Postby PK1967 » October 17th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Want to do all I can to extend injector and engine life....
Last edited by PK1967 on October 18th, 2020, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 18th, 2020, 2:36 am

Redline and diesel kleen goes in the fuel tank. Liqui moly diesel purge is usually run directly through the pump. Adding the cleaner directly to the filter housing doesn't have that much more benefit than adding it to your fuel tank. The fuel system circulates fuel that isn't required by the rail so the excess is sent back to the tank; essentially the majority of cleaner that you put in the housing will be in the tank after half a minute of the engine running. My main purpose of using diesel additives is more for lubrication than the cleaning.

Dropping the tank isn't necessary unless you really took in a lot of contaminants. I don't know the cost and I've never needed it. Draining the sedimentor can give you an idea of the contaminants in your fuel tank. Drain it every oil change and collect and observe what comes out.

Use original fuel filters. You can save money on most all other filters but don't skimp on the fuel filter.
I usually limit the fuel stations that I fuel up at so i have an idea of which station i picked up bad fuel at, if something happens.
I normally fill up before the last quarter on the fuel gauge and I try to get the double filtered fuel when I can.

If I recall correctly, first gens had problems with injector washers leaking which caused a loud knocking and a sludge build up issue. Change oil regularly; can't remember if my manual says 5000km or miles. Listen for any abnormally loud knocking on cold start up and look out for any excessive smoking(white or black).

PK1967 wrote:Thanks much.

Should I Dump the Diesel cleaner in the tank?

Also, what do you think about asking the mechanic to drop the fuel tank and clean? Is that expensive? Good idea?

Last, you know the injectors are going to be an issue at some point. Would be nice to clean them up a bit. So either an additive into the tank itself, or have them add a cleaner (like liquid moly) into the filter casing and run it through that way?

trebornattaj
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trebornattaj » October 18th, 2020, 7:04 pm

A PBB fortuner, with 87k on it?

PK1967
Riding on 13's

Postby PK1967 » October 18th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Sorry. I meant PDB

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 19th, 2020, 7:43 am

Don't bother about the first gen problems mentioned.

PK1967
Riding on 13's

Postby PK1967 » October 19th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Ok. What do you think about dropping the fuel tank? Expensive? Overkill or should do??

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » October 19th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Doh trouble trouble. If the van pulling good, no set of nastiness in the filter just use treatment regularly and you good to go

I doing 340000 km in my hilux and she runs like new
PK1967 wrote:Ok. What do you think about dropping the fuel tank? Expensive? Overkill or should do??

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » October 31st, 2020, 7:53 pm

Last gen 1kd-ftv .... once maintained properly before should last you a long time.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » November 14th, 2020, 9:29 pm

all good advice here, follow that and be good.
remove intercooler and wash out, install a oil catch and you should be good for years to come.

how much that cost ya tho?

one thing i would change coming to 100,000km is all the glow plugs along with timing belt. i saw a couple of them with higher mileage have issues with glow plugs being stuck, i suspect the head of it swollen. at least remove and check and apply anti seize

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 15th, 2020, 9:20 am

Timing belt service interval for thr 1kd is 150k kms
So 100k aint making sense (in this case)
Ted_v2 wrote:all good advice here, follow that and be good.
remove intercooler and wash out, install a oil catch and you should be good for years to come.

how much that cost ya tho?

one thing i would change coming to 100,000km is all the glow plugs along with timing belt. i saw a couple of them with higher mileage have issues with glow plugs being stuck, i suspect the head of it swollen. at least remove and check and apply anti seize

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 15th, 2020, 10:33 am

kamakazi wrote:I'm guessing it's a diesel first generation Fortuner. I'm basing my advice on the similarities to the hilux.

List of things I usually do with newly acquired used vehicle; but tailored to the Fortuner

-All fluids (engine oil, drain and refill transmission oil, rear diff, transfer case, front diff, power steering fluid using battery water filler)

Change brake fluid when changing brake pads/shoes. Depending on how it was driven the front pads might be on there last at about that mileage is it wasn't change already.

The shoes normally last through about 3 sets of front pads, but again, it ultimately depends on how it was driven

Grease driveshafts

Use redline 85 plus or power service diesel kleen in the fuel tank. If things are bad use liquid moly diesel purge.

Not sure if the Fortuner has the vn turbo. If you do have one observe for a loss of power and or excessive smoking. The vanes have been known to stick due to soot deposits.

You will need a timing belt replacement at 150k kms but there is a chance that the water pump will start failing before that mileage.
Seconded.

That is exactly what I did on mines at 80k.

Do the diesel flush by using the product directly in the fuel pump and running till stall. That will clean the injectors really well.

Replace oil with an oil that has a high Total Base Number or TBN to help with combating high sulphur in fuel.

If the vehicle is local then there is no EGR so alot of headache gone with that.

Front rotors are prone to warping. It's a manufacturer defect. If you getting wobbling while stopping, rotors need to change or perhaps polish. If changing I'd recommend after market and not Toyota as the latter is known to have design defect. Replace with 319 mm diameter rotors.

As it's second hand, I'd recommend a full sanitisation of the inside of the vehicle... Clean all carpets and proper detail. Remove all traces of previous owner. Then, under carriage clean and engine clean.

Might I ask one thing? What did you pay for the van?

kamakazi wrote:I'm guessing it's a diesel first generation Fortuner. I'm basing my advice on the similarities to the hilux.

Grease driveshafts

PK1967
Riding on 13's

Postby PK1967 » December 16th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Thanks. Paid $280

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » December 18th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:one thing i would change coming to 100,000km is all the glow plugs along with timing belt. i saw a couple of them with higher mileage have issues with glow plugs being stuck, i suspect the head of it swollen. at least remove and check and apply anti seize

Toyota timing belts go for 150 000km. Original glow plugs should last just as long.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » December 19th, 2020, 9:24 pm

not all the time, tried to remove two sets on a pair, one 3.0 fortuner and a 3.0 hilux, both was swollen and the just a hair over 170k if i could recall. Didnt remove them anymore.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”