TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Guide to buying an STi - details inside (draft)

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Guide to buying an STi - details inside (draft)

Postby 16 cycles » January 27th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Guide to buying an STi locally – 02 to 07

Background – Are you planning to buy an STi? Here are some of the points you need to raise with the vendor – please read and print if necessary to take with you when you’re going to view the car.

1. GDB chassis code designates STi. Chassis code can be found in the engine bay, passenger’s side, ontop the shock mount along with engine number, colour code on plate

In addition, and more importantly in the event the plate has been removed, the code is stamped on the firewall, engine bay, driver’s side – just hidden by the strut bar (strut bar may be omitted in some models) (check certified copy as well)

2. Intercooler bottle situated on passenger side, engine bay..
As for the Spec c trunk mount I/c water tank-
De Bench
The intercooler spray tank (12liters) is a option at the time of the purchase. A true Spec WOULD have the wiring harness in the rear to accomodate this upgrade.

3. Crinkle red intake manifold

4. Engine numbers of the order EJ207 /EJ20B…(can vary – needs further research)

5. STi logo on Top mount intercooler (TMIC) - can be changed if aftermarket TMIC - please be guided accordingly

6. Check OEM tyre size on the driver’s door pillar – should be 225/45/17

(group N models or another variation may have a smaller tyre size 205/?/? I believe but typically 225/45/17 – rating of tyre would also be given)

For later hawk eye (06/07)
De Bench
The tires that you listed is for the older units. The tyres used on the Hawkeye's are 235/45-17 and they come on ENKIE rims.

7. JDM models have a green light over the ignition switch. JDM graduated to 180kmph whereas SDM graduated to 260kmph

8. Odometer has STi as well and you can set tachometer to alert you when crossed a particular threshold

9. Standard 6-forward manual transmission with STi etched in trim around the gear lever

10. Typically STi blue and black interior with all black for later spec c models – but can be an option. Either way, STi is embroidered on the front seats.

11. With respect to OEM brembos

Knight1 wrote:
Only thing I can add is that the GDB's have the gold brembos (didn't see that in the list above)...but even that can be swapped too eh.

group N / RA model may also have a diff brake package (TBC)

To try to decipher your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) see page 2

Draft version – will fill in with pics /

Any thing I left out – let me know pls

SDM guys – need your input as well

WRX guys – feel free to make a guide as well and attach if you’d like
Last edited by 16 cycles on January 31st, 2009, 5:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 27th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Distinguishing between later Spec C models and standard STi's

De Bench
The intercooler spray tank (12liters) is a option at the time of the purchase. A true Spec WOULD have the wiring harness in the rear to accomodate this upgrade.

If one is also suspect about the car being a Spec C or no; one should look at the rear lateral arms.
From the factory they are aluminum and is natural aluminum in colour, NOT pink or any other colour.
If it IS pink, it could be a add on after purchase or dealer option.
Another way of determining if the car IS indeed a Spec-C is to have a look at the front CV joints.
If the joints are large and almost touch the shock base it's NOT a Spec-C
Subaru equiped the base grp-N car with smaller CV joints so MORE shock travel can be achieved.
The hubs on a true Spec-C are also two(2) piece which hold the bearings in place.
Another way of knowing if you have found a true jewel is if the standard 6spd gearbox has a oil cooler installed.

will add more as more comes in....
Last edited by 16 cycles on January 28th, 2009, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 27th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Detecting changes between model years

Background: Wheter you are an enthusiast looking to spot the differences, engaging in trivia with friends whilst waiting knee deep in mud for that rally car to turn the bend, or making sure you are buying the correct model year as advertised....these are some of the differences...

Knight1 wrote:As you might be aware, the "fronts" of the bugeye, peanut eye, and the hawkeye, can all be swapped providing you want to badly enough, and you have the $$.

1.) A simple thing to check would be the date of man'fr at the base of the seatbelt.

05 (earlyish 06) would be the peanut eye.
Mid-late '05 STi's (JDM) have a wider rear track, and different castor settings. You can distinguish this by looking at the slight "lip" on the flare above the rear wheels -TBC

I think it matches what Bench posted for the newer models running wider tyres.

De Bench wrote:It's actually more than a lip on the Hawkeyes.
The inner part of the rear fender is trimmed from factory so it does not touch the tires.

2) The ORIGINAL STi wing should have 12 (or is it more?) or so bolt holes in the trunk. There are replicas out there which use the four hole lineup of the OE WRX "low" wing. Good to know if the car might have had some rear end damage/swapped a trunk etc etc

3) MOST (but not all) older bugeye STi's carry one rad cap on the turbo coolant sump. Newer 03+ cars carry caps on the sump and on the rad. Useful to know if work was done on/radiator was changed (when buying a used car)

4) Model year 02 does not have the DCCD gear box whereas from MY03 onwards - comes with standard DCCD. (Some model RA's post 02 and group N chassis cars come with a 5-forward box - not sure if DCCD included)

5. With respect to later model STI;s ( 08 ) and transmission options:-

Knight1 wrote:
Does an STI come tiptronic?

Only the 2008 STi A-line (this is the new hatch version) comes tiptronic. The "std"2008 STi comes 6MT of course.

None have ever been automatic/tiptronic before that.
Last edited by 16 cycles on August 25th, 2009, 11:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

De Bench
Riding on 17's

Re: Guide to buying an STi - details inside (draft)

Postby De Bench » January 28th, 2009, 8:25 am

16 cycles wrote:2. Intercooler bottle situated on passenger side, engine bay.(Spec C – i/c bottle in trunk BUT I think it may be an option)

6. Check OEM tyre size on the driver’s door pillar – should be 225/45/17 (group N models or another variation may have a smaller tyre size 205/?/? I believe but typically 225/45/17 – rating of tyre would also be given)

The tires that you listed is for the older units. The tyres used on the Hawkeye's are 235/45-17 and they come on ENKIE rims.

If one is also suspect about the car being a Spec C or no; one should look at the rear lateral arms.
From the factory they are aluminum and is natural aluminum in colour, NOT pink or any other colour.
If it IS pink, it could be a add on after purchase or dealer option.
Another way of determining if the car IS indeed a Spec-C is to have a look at the front CV joints.
If the joints are large and almost touch the shock base it's NOT a Spec-C
Subaru equiped the base grp-N car with smaller CV joints so MORE shock travel can be achieved.
The hubs on a true Spec-C are also two(2) piece which hold the bearings in place.
Another way of knowing if you have found a true jewel is if the standard 6spd gearbox has a oil cooler installed.
If the car has this cooler and is well maintained, don't haggle anymore, just buy it.

TREX
Trinituner Peong

Postby TREX » January 28th, 2009, 8:58 am

Did not realize that there were suspension changes between the Spec C and the JDM Sti.
Nice read, simple and to the point.

U would be surprised how may ppl think that the only difference between the WRX and the Sti is the Sticker on the trunk. :lol:

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 28th, 2009, 8:59 am

True.

Cars which have the I'C spray bottle in front, with no wiring for the rear location...BUT have the pop-up roof scoop/vent, might be classed as the STi V-Ltd models. Seen a few 04/05 models come in RORO like that.

Correct again.

Engine numbers of the order EJ207 /EJ20B…(can vary – needs further research)

EJ20B you say? Sounds a bit strange. Came across such an engine number for the UK STi in their UK Prodrive catalog.....but of all the SDM STi's I've seen down here (SDM supposedly = UK spec), they carried the EJ207...albeit with different turbo (in the case of the SDM '02 STi) /cams etc etc.
Last edited by Alpha_2nr on January 28th, 2009, 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 28th, 2009, 9:00 am

U would be surprised how may ppl think that the only difference between the TS and the Sti is the Sticker on the trunk

Edited for accuracy :lol:

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 28th, 2009, 9:02 am

^ thanks De Bench - quite a bit of detail in distinguishing later model spec c's and ra's from standard STi

will have to compile and make a FAQ sheet

I'm really in the dark about the Gc8 models though and how to guide a potential buyer to distinguish betwwen normal wrx and wrx sti gc8

Help from anyone would be appreciated.

Just want the wider community to be aware and not duped...

Knight 1 and TREX - pls feel free to add details even if not too sure - can always iron it out here

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 28th, 2009, 9:59 am

^^Well bro, I think the post is pretty comprehensive as it is! You've got most of the info down.......

Only thing I can add is that the GDB's have the gold brembos (didn't see that in the list above)...but even that can be swapped too eh.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 28th, 2009, 10:14 am

Knight1 wrote:^^Well bro, I think the post is pretty comprehensive as it is! You've got most of the info down.......

thanks....good point....will add

15devils
Trinituner Peong

Postby 15devils » January 28th, 2009, 11:07 am

I was suprised to see the 08 wrx,didn't come with 4/2 pot brakes like the GD series...that sucks.....
nice post 16 C

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 28th, 2009, 4:24 pm

15devils wrote: nice post 16 C

...only possible due to efforts and knowledge from the wider community and users who share knowledge such as yourself....

you brought up a good point there for future reference - characteristics of the newer WRX/STi 08 model - will update on an ongoing basis

thanks all

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 28th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Something additional stuff I just thought of 16cycles.

1) As you might be aware, the "fronts" of the bugeye, peanut eye, and the hawkeye, can all be swapped providing you want to badly enough, and you have the $$.

I came across two such cars in trini already......where the fronts were swapped to the newer model fronts (and being palmed off as newer cars to would-be buyers).

A simple thing to check would be the date of man'fr at the base of the seatbelt.

05 (earlyish 06) would be the peanut eye. Mid-late '05 STi's (JDM) have a wider rear track, and different castor settings. You can distinguish this by looking at the slight "lip" on the flare above the rear wheels (rudy....like what deens car has.) I'll have to confirm these dates later.

I think it matches what Bench posted for the newer models running wider tyres.

2) The ORIGINAL STi wing should have 12 (or is it more?) or so bolt holes in the trunk. There are replicas out there which use the four hole lineup of the OE WRX "low" wing. Good to know if the car might have had some rear end damage/swapped a trunk etc etc

3) MOST (but not all) older bugeye STi's carry one rad cap on the turbo coolant sump. Newer 03+ cars carry caps on the sump and on the rad. Useful to know if work was done on/radiator was changed (when buying a used car)

De Bench
Riding on 17's

Postby De Bench » January 28th, 2009, 8:37 pm

Mid-late '05 STi's (JDM) have a wider rear track, and different castor settings. You can distinguish this by looking at the slight "lip" on the flare above the rear wheels (rudy....like what deens car has.)

It's actually more than a lip on the Hawkeyes.
The inner part of the rear fender is trimmed from factory so it does not touch the tires.

The Spec C also came with Enkie wheels versus the BBS of th normal STi's

I came across two such cars in trini already......where the fronts were swapped to the newer model fronts

I also came across a few, I am bitterly disappointed that people go through these lenghts to ROB people, but if one does not do the research and educated oneself then one has nobody to blame .

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 28th, 2009, 10:05 pm

It's actually more than a lip on the Hawkeyes.

Woot......didn't know that! Glad someone confirmed it!

I also came across a few, I am bitterly disappointed that people go through these lenghts to ROB people, but if one does not do the research and educated oneself then one has nobody to blame .

What's worse is when people actually, due to ignorance of said deception, go and buy the car under the premise of getting a newer model!

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 29th, 2009, 7:22 am

^ guys thanks a million thus far....information assimilated

suggestions / crticisms on format / info etc are welcome

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 29th, 2009, 8:58 am

Background: Wheter you are an enthusiast looking to spot the differences, engaging in trivia with friends whilst waiting knee deep in mud for that rally car to turn the bend, or making sure you are buying the correct model year as advertised....these are some of the differences...

I love this description (no lie!) :lol:

greyfox2501
Sweet on this forum

Postby greyfox2501 » January 29th, 2009, 9:57 am

is there any other way to check the YOM other than the seatbelt method?

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 29th, 2009, 10:02 am

^Checking the actual Chassis number.

I think I had posted that on Scoobytnt a while aback. Chung had put something on it there as well....a key to deciphering what each letter of the VIN number means. I'll have to dig up in my files for that one.

greyfox2501
Sweet on this forum

Postby greyfox2501 » January 29th, 2009, 10:52 am

cool would appreciate it cause my WRX seems a bit fishy lol

15devils
Trinituner Peong

Postby 15devils » January 29th, 2009, 1:04 pm

^^^hmmmmmm

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 29th, 2009, 1:23 pm

^taken from owner's manual

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » January 29th, 2009, 1:58 pm

^There ya go greyfox. If your car's SDM, then the VIN should follow the Europe spec.

greyfox2501
Sweet on this forum

Postby greyfox2501 » January 30th, 2009, 12:01 am

thanks meng, will look at this tomorrow and let u guys know...

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » January 31st, 2009, 5:35 pm

pic of info on driver's side door pillar added in first post page 1

honda hoe
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby honda hoe » August 15th, 2009, 8:56 am

good info

bump

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » August 15th, 2009, 8:50 pm

honda hoe wrote:good info

bump

Was invaluable to me.

Flex030
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Flex030 » August 16th, 2009, 9:11 am

Some very helpful info 16cycles and the others who contributed great job..... :wink:

ztune
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ztune » August 25th, 2009, 9:03 am

Does an STI come tiptronic?

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » August 25th, 2009, 9:54 am

^ from the GC8's to the GDB's - i have not heard of any either locally or internationally.

I'm not sure about the newer ones but i'd venture to say that none of the STI's come tiptronic.

There are WRX's however that come with that option.

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”