TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Postby nervewrecker » November 15th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Not sure if it belongs here but I have a question.

Have this setup in my ride (not my pic and not the same stuff, just the PCV setup we talking about here):

Hose A goes to the turbo inlet (pre turbo)

Hose B goes to the PCV and post throttle body butterfly valve. I have hose B disconnected and capped off, hole under throttle body capped.
Hose A connected to the turbo inlet.
Will Hose A remain in vacuum when the car goes into boost as its pre turbo or will it pressurize the crankcase? Having a hard time trusting what im reading online as im seeing different kind of responses.

Already have a catch can for hose A, havent installed it yet. Just concerned about if hose A will remain in vacuum to pull from the crankcase and will not pressurize it. In my mind hose A should be in vacuum.

thoughts, comments, advice?

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 15th, 2017, 8:25 pm

You should be fine with that setup. Under boost the pcv is closed which is basically like hose A being blocked off. Cant say what else if anything will be affected though.

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 15th, 2017, 9:32 pm

janfar wrote:
Animal Pak wrote:I recently put my foz through some upgrades as well 20171014_110348.jpg20171014_110140.jpgIMG-20170728-WA0007.jpgIMG-20170914-WA0005.jpgIMG-20170914-WA0003.jpg

Lovely intake. Where'd you get that from?

Aditi Sportline. That's what the cool kids playing with now

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » November 15th, 2017, 11:35 pm

I need one since the threaded bit on my Air filter box broken.

Willing to divulge the price?

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 16th, 2017, 7:08 pm

^^ my guestimate is 3500-4k

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » November 17th, 2017, 12:20 am

Does anyone have the original air filter box to sell? I think that box will be enough for me since i'm keeping mine as is. Also reading that the stock box out performs alot of those aftermarket CAI's.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 17th, 2017, 11:04 am

janfar wrote:Does anyone have the original air filter box to sell? I think that box will be enough for me since i'm keeping mine as is. Also reading that the stock box out performs alot of those aftermarket CAI's.

What car for the airbox?

Also i recently put on a grimmspeed intake and basically got significantly increased spool and throttle response and about 20% more air flow.. While GS actually has R&D to backup their claims i agree that a regular aftermarket cai is garbage and much worse than the stock airbox. For the gs intake the maf is located inside of the airbox which gives proper temp readings, it includes an air straightener pre maf, the air-filter has a velocity stack built in and the box edges are rubber sealed. Not cheap, but it works.

pic for reference.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » November 17th, 2017, 11:19 am

Need it for a Legacy.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 17th, 2017, 11:46 am

pm'd you.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » November 17th, 2017, 11:54 am

Stock airbox is decent tho.. our forester is 260whp stock intake and the exhaust decatted and a Cobb axleback.. some people just remove the resonator from the intake for more flow..

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm

janfar wrote:I need one since the threaded bit on my Air filter box broken.

Willing to divulge the price?

1800. Not that pricey.

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 17th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Did anyone ever change injector seals? Looking at the age of my vehicle, I'm wondering if this would be good preventative maintenance

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 17th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Animal Pak wrote:Did anyone ever change injector seals? Looking at the age of my vehicle, I'm wondering if this would be good preventative maintenance

I wouldnt touch them. They generally tear/deform during removal or poor installation. Once its set its good.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » November 17th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Animal Pak wrote:Did anyone ever change injector seals? Looking at the age of my vehicle, I'm wondering if this would be good preventative maintenance

I get fed up looking for seals, bought brand new injectors and end the headache.

have some 440cc and new seals put down. Missing the top O ring.

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 18th, 2017, 1:10 am

If I have to change injectors, it would be to go 1000cc. Then to retune. Was thinking it would be easier to change a small seal. Changing injectors and turbo go hand in hand.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 18th, 2017, 8:40 am

Media Graphics Ltd. wrote:

I wouldnt touch them. They generally tear/deform during removal or poor installation. Once its set its good.
This is usually true. I made a tool to remove side feeds safely without prying/digging them out. To get the correct seals is another issue since there are two types of rubber seals, can't remember the names, only lube that I had success with was the silicone spray. Thicker lubes just causes the seal to slip in easily, not necessarily settle properly. Need a balance between resistance and lubrication. I know you guys are top feed but the process should be easier. Buy seals with extras online. Locally it's tough to get for side feeds...top feeds not so much.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 18th, 2017, 8:42 am

Animal Pak wrote:If I have to change injectors, it would be to go 1000cc. Then to retune. Was thinking it would be easier to change a small seal. Changing injectors and turbo go hand in hand.
It's not difficult. Always hearing good stuff about IDs.

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 22nd, 2017, 10:54 am

What I've heard is that there are a lot of knock off and bootleg items on the market. It's really difficult to get original aftermarket parts locally.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » November 22nd, 2017, 11:03 am

What's the deal with detschwerks injectors.. I saw a lot of bad reviews on other forums

Sent from my VTR-L29 using TriniTuner mobile app

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 22nd, 2017, 11:27 am

infinite_RPM wrote:What's the deal with detschwerks injectors.. I saw a lot of bad reviews on other forums

From what I heard, they are remanufactured injectors...where they basically modify spray pattern/volume....tried to buy a set locally and the vendor didn't want to sell due to the feedback/experience selling them..I believe they offer a rebate for old injectors...

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » November 22nd, 2017, 11:35 am

Was gonna buy some.. guess that's why they significantly cheaper than id... Any issues with the detsch fuel pumps?

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 22nd, 2017, 5:44 pm

Most DW injectors are just modified OEM denso injectors that are decapped or modded and then flow matched.

They are notorious for causing tuning issues and many tuners just refuse to tune with them.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 22nd, 2017, 5:46 pm

infinite_RPM wrote:Was gonna buy some.. guess that's why they significantly cheaper than id... Any issues with the detsch fuel pumps?

They are ok...aeromotive ftw

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 22nd, 2017, 10:37 pm

Aeromotive makes injectors?

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » November 23rd, 2017, 5:15 am

Pretty sure he's referring to the fuel pumps

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » November 23rd, 2017, 7:54 pm

Lance wrote:Pretty sure he's referring to the fuel pumps
Yea

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » November 26th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Off trend question. At what point do you consider upgrading your brake booster? For instance, if u go from single piston to twin piston. Can you still use the stock booster? Also, would you upgrade this prior to putting on bigger rotors and calipers? Reason I'm asking is I'm seeing a lot of brake upgrades with the stock booster.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 26th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Animal Pak wrote:Off trend question. At what point do you consider upgrading your brake booster? For instance, if u go from single piston to twin piston. Can you still use the stock booster? Also, would you upgrade this prior to putting on bigger rotors and calipers? Reason I'm asking is I'm seeing a lot of brake upgrades with the stock booster.

I upgraded the entire master cylinder and booster since they came together. A booster alone isnt going to do much if anything. I did mine for pedal feel. Thats basically the only reason. The oem mc in the legacy is 15/16" and pedal effort is easy but mushy and challenging to modulate even when i swapped in brembos. I swapped in a sti which is 1 + 1/16" and its night and day difference. Pedal is firm, no question about that. It requires more effort to use, however i can apply just the right amount of braking i need. Excellent for spirited driving or track. Some people may not like it for DD but its perfect for me. My forester has a 1" mc stock, which gives a nice blend of both, didnt feel any different when i upgraded that to 4pots other than more control.

If i had to do it again i would upgrade the mc before any thing else. Best bang for buck and gave the most sig. change over anything else i did.

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby infinite_RPM » November 27th, 2017, 2:20 pm

I've been checking out fuel upgrades but if my goal is 250/270 hp do I absolutely need to upgrade the fuel setup?

I was gonna get id injectors and a walbro/aem fuel pump.. the smallest injectors I see they make is 1050cc which to me is total overkill..

Is it better to have the upgraded fuel system with a ton of headroom.. or Squeeze out what I can get from the stock system?

Trying to plan to do everything and then one single tune..

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » November 27th, 2017, 2:50 pm

infinite_RPM wrote:I've been checking out fuel upgrades but if my goal is 250/270 hp do I absolutely need to upgrade the fuel setup?

I was gonna get id injectors and a walbro/aem fuel pump.. the smallest injectors I see they make is 1050cc which to me is total overkill..

Is it better to have the upgraded fuel system with a ton of headroom.. or Squeeze out what I can get from the stock system?

Trying to plan to do everything and then one single tune..

I got about 240hp from stock injectors, stock fuel pump and stock regulator. If your goals are not excessive then id say an aftermarket pump and regulator should more than carry you to your goals. If using methanol, that reduces the amount of pump gas needed for target afr's under boost, which reduces injector duty cycle.

Its always good to have headroom for later upgrades, temperature changes or if iam drops so the ecu can dump more fuel for safety (if tuned accordingly) but injectors can run fine in 90's idc for a long time.

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”