Forums

626 GLX engine options

MAZDA People United - it continues here

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ddog
3NE 2NR for life

626 GLX engine options

Postby ddog » May 6th, 2014, 9:19 pm

Folks I have a 626 GLX coupe with a slightly modified FE carb engine that's been parked up for some years. Looking to swap it out with something fuel injected. *Pulled some pics from the net to display the engines*

FE3
My first engine of choice would be the FE3 (fuel injected version) which I am assuming should bolt right in the engine bay together with my existing gearbox. For the knowledgeable please correct me if I am wrong. If anyone knows where I can get this to purchase please let me know whether it be front cut, scrapyard or even your neighbor who convert to a B14 engine....

FSZE
My only other option would be the FSZE which I am not too keen on because it will most likely require modifications to work in the engine bay.

I am also trying as much as possible to keep my digital dash which gets its speedo signal from an old school cable on the gearbox. I believe all newer gearboxes will be digital connections.

F2T
There is also the F2t engine but that might be more pressure to find than a FE3. Any advice on other options would be greatly appreciated.

sinister626
Ricer

Re: 626 GLX engine options

Postby sinister626 » June 20th, 2014, 2:59 pm

First thing is, which model you have? GC or GD? Yes there is a GD coupe aka Mx6 1gen. Secondly, how much you willing to spend, how much you willing to do with this car. The ugly truth is when it come to 626 in T&T, the easiest thing(also least exp) is to throw in a Nissan engine(BTDT). Believe me, it does wuk, once done correctly. Man puttin anything in any car nowadays. However bcuz you came here and bothered to ask, (no replies huh :roll: )I guessin you wanna keep it all Mazda. Keeping it mazda is your best option...

738-1601. Follow the white rabbit...

ddog
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ddog » June 20th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Thanks for the response, you won't believe how much parts place tell me to put an SR in it LOL!

Anyway it's a GC coupe and I am looking to go fuel injected in it. The above engines are choices that I had in mind for it. Not looking to go hybrid, want to keep it mazda.

We use to have a modified MX6 first gen back in the day and that thing use to pull! But the F2t is the least favorite of my choices plus is old school single cam. But it would be the easier swap.

I understand what you are saying cost wise with going nissan because I honestly think mazda engines are overpriced when compared to nissan locally. The fact is I can get something much more powerful price wise if I go with a nissan compared to the mazda. No offense to the mazda tuners there as I am also one and the majority of may cars are Mazda.

As for how much I am willing to spend I still need to find out prices on some of the engines before I can say.My experience lies with the KL and KF engines. I can get KF complete around $4500 but can't source gearbox and axles. So far been told that FSZE with box conversion is $14000, FSDE with box alone $8500 and didn't find an FE3 yet.....may be able to source the KIA version but not going through that trouble to convert the engine to front wheel. And a SR turbo is 7 to $7500 with box ranging from 3 to $5000 bamboo price. A bit discouraging but still want to go Mazda.

Will call you...

mazdaworks
Riding on 13's

Postby mazdaworks » October 14th, 2014, 2:44 pm

fe3 hard to get but works very good i have one in my car 4 yrs now in a gd

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » November 6th, 2014, 11:25 pm

FE3N is the best out of the lot. There is one fully modified Forsale in the forums. But it has no harness or brain an I think he wants $14k

unciviclized
Street 2NR

Postby unciviclized » March 23rd, 2015, 5:22 pm

Any luck with this? I am in the same position with my coupe

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » March 23rd, 2015, 6:24 pm

what caused you to need to change engines? are rebuilds out of the question?

unciviclized
Street 2NR

Postby unciviclized » March 23rd, 2015, 9:12 pm

I don't necessarily have to change engines, my engine is OK, the transmission though is starting to slip plus the 3 speed thing kinda out dated so something with overdrive would be nice cuz though I am not a speed junkie anymore, a lil more speed would be nice once in a while especially for emergency situations. Gear box is out of the question, cuz I am on my feet whole day at work and need the rest unless the car wasn't a daily driver.

ddog
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ddog » April 5th, 2015, 8:21 am

unciviclized wrote:Any luck with this? I am in the same position with my coupe

None so far. Initially planned to go with a FSDE or ZE conversion or maybe even a KL. Was trying to source a front cut to do the conversion but that didn't work out as planned. So I dusted off the cobwebs and started servicing the carb for the time being.

Gearbox seems a bit difficult to source for the FS engines but if its an auto conversion you should be good. Or you can go with one of those 323 engines.

If you want to keep you digital dash working the speedo gear has to be able to work in your new transmission of choice. It seems to be the same for the KL gearbox and most likely it will be the same for the FS gearbox too. I am not sure if it will work on the auto transmissions though.

Mazda626.net is the a very good place you can search for GC info.

DeevDatboi12
Riding on 13's

Postby DeevDatboi12 » April 26th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Good day I Know I'm 6 years later but hello.
I am 12 years old soo correct me if I'm wrong. My dad and I are planning to do a project on his 1985 glx coupe. It have a magnum 2000 engine it works nice. But we want to know if we should do cams, a msd, extractors and webber's or go with a sr20de or 16ve. Obv gearbox. Now only thing is the ve have plenty power but you not getting parts and it's like 7 grand and over for engine alone. Or we could just go with a 20de and put some mods. Budget for engine and gearbox is around 6 to 8 grand. Any suggestions? Also we doing primera p12 suspension in it. Hope I can get some help.

Advertisement

Return to “MAZDA”