3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby NorStar2K » May 19th, 2008, 6:09 pm

Swift Sport 1.6
Manual - $148
Auto - $158

zodiaque
CARS Member

Postby zodiaque » May 20th, 2008, 10:51 am

Price will go up at the end of this month, but package changes in terms of support etc. I think.

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » May 25th, 2008, 10:41 am

actually the price for the auto version is close to $159k

I drove one yesterday as a good pal of mine not too long ago got one. Personally, this car sells purely on those who love the car and really not too keen on boot space and ride quality. I'm passionate about small pocket rockets eg. Mini Cooper S, Mazda 3 MPS, Honda Civic Si, VW GTI, Volvo C30 T5, Subaru Impreza WRX, Dodge Caliber SRT4, Mitsubishi Lancer RalliArt etc....but the Suzuki lacks some serious HP compared to the others on that list but I guess price counts.

Now for $159k approx. one can get a 1.6 Nissan Tiida, 1.6 Hyundai Accent, 1.6 Mazda 3, 1.6 Suzuki SX4, 1.6 Skoda Octavia, 1.6 Peugeot 307 etc...and those cars are bigger with more boot space.

I guess the new Swift Sport with a slightly tuned 1.6 engine and dual split exhaust has its virtues those other cars lack but it aint gonna blow the doors off a 1.6 Tiida that badly now will it? They are amongst the same performance category albeit more fun in this Suzuki. I guess those who are really passionate about this car will buy it but being the person who I am, I'd rather get something bigger and more economical.

less than 400kms per tank in a brand new sub-compact car is totally unimpressive when an Accent making over 500kms per tank and a Yaris at least 550. In the end, I love the looks and the build quality is good but not up to the standards set by the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mazda 3 and Mitsubishi Lancer. Its handling will surprise you while having the torsion beam suspension in the rear.....when would Toyota and Nissan learn from this?

I left impressed but wished the SX4 could have gotten the same treatment.

Swifted
Sweet on this forum

Postby Swifted » May 26th, 2008, 1:47 pm

I own a '94 (260KM ODO) Swift GTi which has no modifications other than an open element K&N Filter. i've run my car against friends with the Ignis Sport, and the Swift GTi has the clear advantage, but everything has to be perfect; the launch, shifting RPM, and the gear change.

I have also run against the 1.3 & 1.5L Swift in Auto & Manual, the Swift GTi again prevailed! all i can say is that Suzuki really hit the nail on the head with the Swift GTi, and the new Swift is a great looking car. i would have loved to see more development on that wide-angle Twin-Cam 16V powered G13B engine, and even maybe a 1.8L version!

i'll have to lurk around and take on a Swift Sport :twisted:

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » May 26th, 2008, 7:16 pm

doh worry bout the swift sport ....... come looking for me :twisted:

Swifted
Sweet on this forum

Postby Swifted » May 28th, 2008, 10:08 am

muhahahahaaa!! i shall!

SmokeyGTi
punchin NOS

Postby SmokeyGTi » May 28th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Swifted wrote:I own a '94 (260KM ODO) Swift GTi which has no modifications other than an open element K&N Filter. i've run my car against friends with the Ignis Sport, and the Swift GTi has the clear advantage, but everything has to be perfect; the launch, shifting RPM, and the gear change.

I have also run against the 1.3 & 1.5L Swift in Auto & Manual, the Swift GTi again prevailed! all i can say is that Suzuki really hit the nail on the head with the Swift GTi, and the new Swift is a great looking car. i would have loved to see more development on that wide-angle Twin-Cam 16V powered G13B engine, and even maybe a 1.8L version!

1.8 eh? well.....tr1ad wey yuh?

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » May 29th, 2008, 8:45 am

drove one last night again people (Swift Sport) thing comes with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres on 195/50R16 foot print. Not as fast as the old SiR Civic IMHO but they're close nevertheless. Imagine I doing 120kmph and mash hard brakes and the ABS did not kick in but the car stops in short distances. Again, materials, fabric and general quality remains consistent amongst these cars. Suspension is stiff and ride is firm but it changes lanes super-quick. I love this lil' sucker!

Mitsu power
Riding on 18's

Postby Mitsu power » June 4th, 2008, 8:13 am

Swifted wrote:I own a '94 (260KM ODO) Swift GTi which has no modifications other than an open element K&N Filter. i've run my car against friends with the Ignis Sport, and the Swift GTi has the clear advantage, but everything has to be perfect; the launch, shifting RPM, and the gear change.

IG igns leave the man for me nah !! LET HIM COME AROUND ME 1.5 SWIFT :twisted: A WAITING pm

Psychomatrix

Postby Psychomatrix » June 16th, 2008, 10:51 am

swifted i got a swift sport here when you ready pm

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » June 16th, 2008, 11:57 am

Isn't this an in-line 4?

What do you mean by this?

Swifted
Sweet on this forum

Postby Swifted » June 22nd, 2008, 7:31 pm

ek4ever wrote:

Isn't this an in-line 4?

wide angle of the intake & exhaust valves; i.e. distance between cams, google the twin cam G13B and the 4EFE toyota engine and compare their head designs by lookin at their images.

darkman1
Riding on 13's

Postby darkman1 » July 31st, 2008, 12:32 pm

nah dis car real nice dread. test drive it and it responds similar to the gsr lancer only the top speed is the difference 0X

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » July 31st, 2008, 12:51 pm

Swifted wrote:
ek4ever wrote:

Isn't this an in-line 4?

wide angle of the intake & exhaust valves; i.e. distance between cams, google the twin cam G13B and the 4EFE toyota engine and compare their head designs by lookin at their images.

oh...ok. When I hear wide-angle i'm thinking V configuration and therefore angle between the banks.

SmokeyGTi
punchin NOS

Postby SmokeyGTi » July 31st, 2008, 1:02 pm

gotta love the wide angle cam config.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » July 31st, 2008, 3:22 pm

SmokeyGTi wrote:

1.8 eh? well.....tr1ad wey yuh?

ah readin doh worry....

original GTI ....bess

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 12th, 2008, 7:32 pm

drove one last night again people (Swift Sport) thing comes with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres on 195/50R16 foot print. Not as fast as the old SiR Civic IMHO but they're close nevertheless. Imagine I doing 120kmph and mash hard brakes and the ABS did not kick in but the car stops in short distances. Again, materials, fabric and general quality remains consistent amongst these cars. Suspension is stiff and ride is firm but it changes lanes super-quick. I love this lil' sucker!

Ditto.

I went to lifestyle today and arranged for a test drive (5m/t of course).

The car isn't exactly what I expected (was expecting something a little edgier) but it really is a great package. Steering has a good feel, and the shifter is really precise....has a nice feel to it. Interior felt a little on the cheap side though.....but not bad.

The car has surprising low end power for a 1.6, and the top end is also pretty impressive. But the best thing about this car....is the cornering :shock:

It's a really fun package right out of the box.....makes me think seriously about getting one.

The only downside of the car I drove.....I found the clutch REALLY soft, and the pedal (at rest) was way high (alot higher than the brake pedal). I hate that.

:oops:

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » November 13th, 2008, 8:33 am

The car has surprising low end power for a 1.6, and the top end is also pretty impressive

acceleration rivals that of a 2.0 fourcam 24v beams vvt-i straight 6 Toyota Altezza and it outhandles it.

Not bad for a FWD, rear torsion beam suspension sub compact. Suzuki Swift Sport FTW!!

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 13th, 2008, 9:06 am

^^ Actually yes it does compare well to the straight 6 IS200. THat car only puts out 165 or so hp? And at that, the S-Sport has a competitive power-to-weight ratio.

The close ratio gearbox gives the car a continuous "pull" right through the gears.

Other than that, the suspension on the Swift Sport is REALLY a great package. NOt stiff like some folks make it out to be, but taut enough to give good cornering w/o much of a rough ride on Trini's lovely roads. It really comes together well to produce a great handling car!

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » November 13th, 2008, 9:14 am

^^^true but to put some perspective in the SSS's handling, the bend by Gasparillo fly-over was taken at 145kmph. No brakes........4th gear (heading south). Heading up north, just just pass Freeport flyover that stretch was done at 180kmph. NO lift and car stuck to the road like evo-stick. The stock tyres at 15,000kms done on it already and a tyre rotation was not performed yet.
:shock:

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 13th, 2008, 10:05 am

true but to put some perspective in the SSS's handling, the bend by Gasparillo fly-over was taken at 145kmph. No brakes........4th gear (heading south). Heading up north, just just pass Freeport flyover that stretch was done at 180kmph. NO lift and car stuck to the road like evo-stick. The stock tyres at 15,000kms done on it already and a tyre rotation was not performed yet

Yep the car really does hold it's own on the corners. Do you own one x2floor?

As for the tyres, remember they're Dunlop SP Sport MAXX tyres. Great tyres....but low-ish tread wear (240 tread). But then again, my Potenza S-03's (220 tread) been going strong for about that 10K, and they haven't come close to wearing down yet!!!

acesinghit
punchin NOS

Postby acesinghit » November 13th, 2008, 10:36 am

nope don't own one.....wish i did though but cyar take the bragging from parents/sibling/cousins/wifey etc...about its impracticality and heavyish price tag. A pallie of mine has it and got first hand experience both as a driver and passenger since we always liming.

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » November 15th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Knight1 wrote:
true but to put some perspective in the SSS's handling, the bend by Gasparillo fly-over was taken at 145kmph. No brakes........4th gear (heading south). Heading up north, just just pass Freeport flyover that stretch was done at 180kmph. NO lift and car stuck to the road like evo-stick. The stock tyres at 15,000kms done on it already and a tyre rotation was not performed yet

Yep the car really does hold it's own on the corners. Do you own one x2floor?

As for the tyres, remember they're Dunlop SP Sport MAXX tyres. Great tyres....but low-ish tread wear (240 tread). But then again, my Potenza S-03's (220 tread) been going strong for about that 10K, and they haven't come close to wearing down yet!!!

the sport maxx that the swift sport comes with are crap ......

just a warning ...the swift sport ...just like my car is un forgiving when the back lets go and even worst when the road wet.

on the handling side i think the sport understeers way to much.

needs some strut bars
:wink:

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 15th, 2008, 12:23 pm

just a warning ...the swift sport ...just like my car is un forgiving when the back lets go and even worst when the road wet.

Unforgiving you say

It's a good setup for the street IMHO. Isn't as edgy as folks claim it is...but then again...I'm comparing that to my WRX (which runs aftermarket suspension)....and that rides pretty stiff.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a taut street car, and there's nothing unforgiving about it.

Which is why I like it that much :D

on the handling side i think the sport understeers way to much.

Well.......I didn't notice the understeer. Mus' be accustomed to it nah <cough> WRX <cough>

the sport maxx that the swift sport comes with are crap ......

Lemme guess, you're comparing these to the stock Yoko Advan (A048????) tyres on the iggy yada yada yada. Yea I know....we discussed this already :lol:

Yes it's a single A traction, but consider this, the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 (Star Spec) is also a single A traction!!! But it grips like hell in the dry. The key is, to compare the traction among the class of tyre. Better wet grip = AA traction. The Sport Z1 sucks in the wet, thus it's a single A traction only.

In comparison, the Direzza DZ101 is ok in the dry, and ok in the wet, but not excellent at either = single A traction also.

The Sport MAxx is an MHP tyre IIRC, so the standard AA traction Maxx is very good. The Swift Sport comes with the run-flat versions of the SP Maxx tyres if I'm not mistaken, which aren't as performance oriented as the standard SP Maxx.

needs some strut bars

You'd get more sales as owners move further into their warranty lifetime. Of the few folks who actually buy these (within the last few months say), most might leave the car stock for fear of warranty issues so early on.

My 2c.

:D

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » November 15th, 2008, 2:44 pm

when i say un forgiving i mean the car hold well in the corner ...but if u push it to hard on the stock suspension the back comes around without warning.

on the tire issue .. i was comparing them to the sport maxx Traction AA that i have on my ignis now .........

don't get me wrong .... i consider the swift sport to be the best bang for buck car on the local market right now ...... in an attempt to make the rear suspension less complex they lost some handling over the ignis..... and the tire choice wasn't the best ... but they had to go with run flats as the sport doesn't come with a spare tire :|

Alpha_2nr
punchin NOS

Postby Alpha_2nr » November 15th, 2008, 5:02 pm

but they had to go with run flats as the sport doesn't come with a spare tire

For real.

On the bright side, it comes with a handy tyre inflator!!! :shock:

:lol:

Jonathan
Sweet on this forum

Postby Jonathan » December 13th, 2008, 10:44 pm

SmokeyGTi wrote:Image

gotta love the wide angle cam config.

Ditto
8-)

Slayer
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Slayer » December 14th, 2008, 12:52 am

hey jonathan, i dont know if you remember me, we exchanged emails several years ago, back when your gti was trinituner's featured car of the month........i was the over eager dude who knew nothing bout gti's :)

i see you gti still looks good as ever!!

i finally got mine turbocharged, some years now, this is the latest incarnation, not so clean but say wha 8-)

Jonathan
Sweet on this forum

Postby Jonathan » December 14th, 2008, 1:12 pm

Yeah I remember! it's been a while indeed.. Glad to see you're enjoying a boosted G13B! :mrgreen:
What kind of set up are you running with? Do you do your own work or does somebody else do the work for you?
I have some more recent pics of the car, but I aint want them ppl to feel we hijacking their Swift Sport thread :lol: :lol:
I'll look for a more appropriate thread to post them in. Look out for it!

Limerboy
Ricer

Postby Limerboy » December 19th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Have to agree with ignis. Car will come around easily especially on wet road. I feel some Proxies will do it good.

By the way how many tuners we have who actually own the SSS?

Advertisement

Return to “SUZUKI”