Forums

Buying a used SGV

Everything Suzuki - Swift GTi and Ignis Sport to Grand Vitara and XL7

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Buying a used SGV

Postby worksux101 » May 21st, 2019, 1:15 am

Hi all. Was always a fan of the SGV so thinking of getting a used 06-15 as a daily driver and maybe eventually some basic off roading.
Probably do a slight lift with spacer and larger tyres etc. Any experience on how this affects ride quality?

Any suggestions as to what to look for when buying a used one and any advice on parts, maintenance etc?
Also, what is the ride quality like usually?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Buying a used SGV

Postby *KRONIK* » May 21st, 2019, 5:07 am

Having had ours for the last 13years from new. They are great daily driver/weekend fun vehicles.
They are a bit heavy on gas, due to being a bit underpowered and full time awd.
Dont expect much from it although it has the 4L mode, its still open diffs on both axles, bit will still take you further than any similarly classed suv.

Issues: 1 stuck brake caliper piston and some rusting on the back door. This i have confirmed with other GV owners, so those seem to be common issues.
I have heard of engine fan failure on others, but ours still going strong.

If you wanna lift it, dont do it with spacers, those just give height, but limit the shock travel so in the end you really didnt acheive anything but “the look”.
Dobinsons makes a proper 2” lift for it now with longer shocks and and springs and camber correction bushings.

Maintenance is simple, usual stuff:
Conventional oil
There is a purolator filter that works, but i recommend OE as they maintain better oil pressure.
Diffs and transfer case use regular gl4/5 75w90 oils.
Tranny uses mobil 3309 and its easy to drain and refill.
There is a k&n panel filter for it if you wanna go that route, if not a sakura is about 75 dollars.
Uses easy to get NGK spark plugs. BKR6E-11
Brakes pads are easy to get now and the wagner works great. The newer models carry rear discs.

Some parts , you may need to face the firm, others you will get those bigger parts place (faiz in marabella, mathuras, dollar savers, bobbys)
I have had no suspension issues to date (all my bushings and ends and ball joints are OE and have never been replaced) except the 4 shocks.
No electrical issues either (coil pack, alternator etx)
You can get some stuff online too if you know where to look.

Hope that helps.
All in all, its a good all round vehicle.

Advertisement

Return to “SUZUKI”