TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

Postby aaron17 » March 10th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I saw one with chrome accents on the windows underneath...maybe self installed or roro

jrpug407
Riding on 13's

Postby jrpug407 » March 31st, 2020, 2:51 am

Hi all

I have a Jetta (2012) 1.4tsi CAVD currently clocking 189000km. A bit of info before I get to the issue this car had an engine and transmission replacement at 75000km under warranty according to the dealership it's an updated version of the engine, but now that the warranty is well over the rough idling during start up is giving me the jitters.

All started with a usual cold start up vibration something like rough idling at 1000 rpm the exhaust pipes sounds like minor burst/explosions, it then settles down approx 740ish rpm the car runs smoothly it's though but I did realize that it's burning a bit more fuel than usual. No CEL whatsoever.

I proceeded with an OBD2 scan using torque and pick up some misfires in cylinder 1,did the swap coil packs around that did change it.

I did change the spark plugs, coil pack looks ok too. Took it to the garage to check out the problem and they were puzzled too can't find anything wrong with it after doing a compression test all were ok.

I am wondering if it could be a faulty injector or a PCV valve?

Has anyone experienced this any solutions? many thanks

syncrod
Sweet on this forum

Postby syncrod » April 11th, 2020, 6:08 pm

jrpug407 wrote:Hi all

I have a Jetta (2012) 1.4tsi CAVD currently clocking 189000km. A bit of info before I get to the issue this car had an engine and transmission replacement at 75000km under warranty according to the dealership it's an updated version of the engine, but now that the warranty is well over the rough idling during start up is giving me the jitters.

All started with a usual cold start up vibration something like rough idling at 1000 rpm the exhaust pipes sounds like minor burst/explosions, it then settles down approx 740ish rpm the car runs smoothly it's though but I did realize that it's burning a bit more fuel than usual. No CEL whatsoever.

I proceeded with an OBD2 scan using torque and pick up some misfires in cylinder 1,did the swap coil packs around that did change it.

I did change the spark plugs, coil pack looks ok too. Took it to the garage to check out the problem and they were puzzled too can't find anything wrong with it after doing a compression test all were ok.

Has anyone experienced this any solutions? many thanks

Do you mean an updated version of the transmission, specifically is it the mechatronic unit that was replaced?

I haven't had to change an injector so i cant advise.
But you should find someone with VCDS and do some logging and try swapping cylinder parts (injector/spark/coil packs) and see if anything comes up

jrpug407
Riding on 13's

Postby jrpug407 » April 13th, 2020, 10:18 am

Hi there Syncord

Thanks for the reply how are you doing hope all at home are safe. Life has changed man!

What VW told me during the change of engine and transmission was an updated version from the original riddle with trouble DSG. I didn't ask the technical specs back then 2015 and running into my final year of warranty period I was like just relief to find out that I need not fork out anything for the repairs.

However, the mechatronic gave way after the standard warranty period in Aug 2017, here again I considered myself blessed to claim it under the 2 years extended warranty for engine and gearbox.

As for trying to fix the random misfires, my car was scheduled for a visit to the garage when suddenly CoVid caused all businesses to freeze as the Government here has imposed an MCO (Movement Control Order) so only essential services were allowed to operate.

While exercising a nationwide Stay-In Order, I had managed to try out somethings on my own.

I tried Liquid Moly fuel additive engine cleaner. Then moved on to changing spark plugs and connectors still shows misfires though car runs smoothly now.

I was thinking of injectors and O2 sensors too, but before I do, so I'm interested to try out the PCV valve route. Do you mind pointing out to me where is it located?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 13th, 2020, 10:28 am

jrpug407 wrote:Hi there Syncord

Thanks for the reply how are you doing hope all at home are safe. Life has changed man!

What VW told me during the change of engine and transmission was an updated version from the original riddle with trouble DSG. I didn't ask the technical specs back then 2015 and running into my final year of warranty period I was like just relief to find out that I need not fork out anything for the repairs.

However, the mechatronic gave way after the standard warranty period in Aug 2017, here again I considered myself blessed to claim it under the 2 years extended warranty for engine and gearbox.

As for trying to fix the random misfires, my car was scheduled for a visit to the garage when suddenly CoVid caused all businesses to freeze as the Government here has imposed an MCO (Movement Control Order) so only essential services were allowed to operate.

While exercising a nationwide Stay-In Order, I had managed to try out somethings on my own.

I tried Liquid Moly fuel additive engine cleaner. Then moved on to changing spark plugs and connectors still shows misfires though car runs smoothly now.

I was thinking of injectors and O2 sensors too, but before I do, so I'm interested to try out the PCV valve route. Do you mind pointing out to me where is it located?

Didn’t see you list ignition coils (coilpacks) in your checks. Have you tried changing those?

Edit: nevermind. Just read that you changed coilpacks already. The scan you did via obd2 was with VCDS scanner?

jrpug407
Riding on 13's

Postby jrpug407 » April 13th, 2020, 10:45 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
jrpug407 wrote:Hi there Syncord

Didn’t see you list ignition coils (coilpacks) in your checks. Have you tried changing those?

Edit: nevermind. Just read that you changed coilpacks already. The scan you did via obd2 was with VCDS scanner?
Hi there,

Sorry, I may have left out some info here. When it started misfiring I did manage to send to the garage way before the chaos broke out.

The guys at the garage did a scan and didn't pick up any faults, strange but my elm scan via Torque Pro did but just not enough to throw a fault code. They then went on to do a compression test and all we ok.

I'm at a lost here, because when I do start the car in the morning it sounds like a misfire (YouTube vw cars that misfires) and my car sounds the same. Once it warms up and the rpm stabilizes at 740ish it sounds fine and runs smoothly.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 13th, 2020, 10:53 am

In your original post you mentioned swapping the coilpacks around. Did the misfire move from cylinder 1?

Just to clarify as well: the coil packs were changed or just moved around?

jrpug407
Riding on 13's

Postby jrpug407 » April 13th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:In your original post you mentioned swapping the coilpacks around. Did the misfire move from cylinder 1?

yes I swapped them around the misfire didn't move so I went on to change the spark plugs but not the coil packs just the connectors to the coil packs were change bcoz the clips were broken.

Any idea where's the PCV valve located for the Jetta?

quietdevil
Riding on 13's

Postby quietdevil » April 13th, 2020, 6:11 pm

jrpug407 wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:In your original post you mentioned swapping the coilpacks around. Did the misfire move from cylinder 1?

yes I swapped them around the misfire didn't move so I went on to change the spark plugs but not the coil packs just the connectors to the coil packs were change bcoz the clips were broken.

Any idea where's the PCV valve located for the Jetta?

I had a similar issue with a 6R2 Polo, but luckily the part started leaking oil so it was easy to troubleshoot. Found out the Jetta and Polo don't have PCV Valves but something called an Oil Breather or an Oil Decanter. Does the same thing a PCV valve does. Got a replacement off ebay. The Seat Ibiza one worked for me. Its located under the engine close to the firewall. Maybe the same maybe not.

jrpug407
Riding on 13's

Postby jrpug407 » April 14th, 2020, 12:57 am

thanks for the heads-up will check it out

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » April 15th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Allergic...how have you been bro?

What have you been up to after 30.11.2k18?

redrum
3NE 2NR for life

Postby redrum » August 12th, 2020, 9:36 am

Any one ever experienced a sudden loss of power, I was driving normal and tried to accelerate and the rpm wasnt crossing the 3000 mark, no check lights came on.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 12th, 2020, 9:37 am

redrum wrote:Any one ever experienced a sudden loss of power, I was driving normal and tried to accelerate and the rpm wasnt crossing the 3000 mark, no check lights came on.

Your waterpump probably failing. It has a clutch that controls the supercharger. When clutch has issues car retards revs.

redrum
3NE 2NR for life

Postby redrum » August 24th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Thanks for the info

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » September 23rd, 2020, 5:02 pm

neexis wrote:I thought the issue was due to the rubber just drying out and rubbing against each other. I was able to reproduce the noises by applying pressure on some of the seals.. esp around the windows.

Lube them up with a lil silicon spray and they good to go

This pretty much. Or one can cut a piece of hose and insert it between the rubbers to prevent them from rubbing against each other.
Did silicone spray and the problem is still there. Planning to put foam weather seal on the metal part of the doors opposing the weather stripping to make the door stable. Any of you guys solve this?

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » September 24th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Is there an agency bringing in the VW Jettas foreign used?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » September 28th, 2020, 3:18 pm

I figured the sound.. usually it happens when I push in the back doors on the outside.
When I open the door handle and hold it at that position without it retracting, I pushed the back doors to see if it is making the same noise. It does not. So it has to be coming on the inside latch area. Idk what to do after that lol apart from silicone spray. That did not help though.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 8th, 2020, 9:08 am

These days on cold start in the morning sometimes maybe when I don't use the car a day after....i does experience rough idle..
when i put it in drive or reverse , it goes away....
I carried it to the mechanic and it didnt throw any faults. But I will still monitor it. Any suggestions on this?

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » October 11th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Whats the mileage on the car?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 13th, 2020, 6:35 pm

51767 miles. I rel bad lucky with them speed sensors yes.This is probably more than 7 times I had to change them. Today got the abs and traction error.. and i was on the highway on gear 7. When slowing down ..the gear not changing off ramp.still on d7 in which supposed to be d2. I had to pull aside and shut the car down and restart it. It working normal . Gotta carry it tomorrow. I know its the sensors. I fed up. If the abs warning and tcs come up...the car does drive irratic. Why doe it fail again? Bad roads?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 13th, 2020, 7:23 pm

aaron17 wrote:These days on cold start in the morning sometimes maybe when I don't use the car a day after....i does experience rough idle..
I carried it to the mechanic and it didnt throw any faults. But I will still monitor it. Any suggestions on this?
This did ease up tho.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 13th, 2020, 7:24 pm

aaron17 wrote:51767 miles. I rel bad lucky with them speed sensors yes.This is probably more than 7 times I had to change them. Today got the abs and traction error.. and i was on the highway on gear 7. When slowing down ..the gear not changing off ramp.still on d7 in which supposed to be d2. I had to pull aside and shut the car down and restart it. It working normal . Gotta carry it tomorrow. I know its the sensors. I fed up. If the abs warning and tcs come up...the car does drive irratic. Why doe it fail again? Bad roads?

Pal that don’t sound like it related to no abs sensor. That sound like mechatronics. What the abs sensor has to do with staying in the wrong gear?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 13th, 2020, 8:41 pm

aaron17 wrote:51767 miles. I rel bad lucky with them speed sensors yes.This is probably more than 7 times I had to change them. Today got the abs and traction error.. and i was on the highway on gear 7. When slowing down ..the gear not changing off ramp.still on d7 in which supposed to be d2. I had to pull aside and shut the car down and restart it. It working normal . Gotta carry it tomorrow. I know its the sensors. I fed up. If the abs warning and tcs come up...the car does drive irratic. Why doe it fail again? Bad roads?

Pal that don’t sound like it related to no abs sensor. That sound like mechatronics. What the abs sensor has to do with staying in the wrong gear?

I have no idea. You have more info on this bunny? I experienced this same thing a few years ago. I restarted the car and it was normal and I went to the mechanic and they said its the abs sensors at fault which can make the car behave differently. I counted my receipts.. about 6 sensor changed so far lol......

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 13th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Don’t have more info cuz I don’t deal up in VW much but I vaguely remember a document talking about the DSG in these cars and nothing was mentioned linking the abs sensor to the gearbox for gear changes. Mechatronic is in charge of the gear changes. Stick gears usually end up being related to the mechatronic.

Have you scanned the car and seen error codes for abs sensor?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 13th, 2020, 8:54 pm

For the past 6 sensors were changed for the lifetime of the vehicle..it was due to the abs and traction control lighting up in yellow and the same feeling of erratic driving(when it actually displays in the cluster) . And when I changed it ...its back to smooth driving.....soooooooo yeaah. Will see what the mechanic says tomorrow.

jrpug407
Riding on 13's

Postby jrpug407 » October 14th, 2020, 3:11 am

Hi Guys it's be awhile the misfires in my Jetta seems to persist, long story short decided to take it to a different garage and have it inspected. These pictures attached are what I just received from the mechanic, appreciate your thoughts.

Wondering too if I had already done a decarbonizing procedure (walnut blasting) should there still be this much carbon? ImageImageImageImageImage

jrpug407
Riding on 13's

Postby jrpug407 » October 14th, 2020, 3:17 am

aaron17 wrote:These days on cold start in the morning sometimes maybe when I don't use the car a day after....i does experience rough idle..
sounds like similar issues I had experienced early this year, do you have a OBD II scan tool it could be useful to pick up things like misfires etc. If your using Torque Pro there a function called live data or something click on that it will scan the car.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » October 14th, 2020, 7:14 am

jrpug407 wrote:
sounds like similar issues I had experienced early this year, do you have a OBD II scan tool it could be useful to pick up things like misfires etc. If your using Torque Pro there a function called live data or something click on that it will scan the car.

I don't have one..

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 14th, 2020, 7:34 am

jrpug407 wrote:Hi Guys it's be awhile the misfires in my Jetta seems to persist, long story short decided to take it to a different garage and have it inspected. These pictures attached are what I just received from the mechanic, appreciate your thoughts.

Wondering too if I had already done a decarbonizing procedure (walnut blasting) should there still be this much carbon? ImageImageImageImageImage

That’s carbon build up on intake valves? What’s your mileage?

jrpug407
Riding on 13's

Postby jrpug407 » October 14th, 2020, 7:38 am

aaron17 wrote:
jrpug407 wrote:

I don't have one..
I suggest getting a hold of one, it's pretty useful the info from this diagnosis tool will help narrow the cause. It will certainly give some peace of mind knowing what are the issues with the car.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”