TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Forged Rods for 1.8T...Scat or Pauter?

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Forged Rods for 1.8T...Scat or Pauter?

Postby Monk BANzai » September 8th, 2013, 10:57 pm

yes yes...the need for more Fyahz is great....so looking at the forged rods.....and seeing 034 motorsports offering both SCAT and Pauter ...Pauter be the more expensive one (by $400 US)..but is it worth it?

Mazdout
Sweet on this forum

Re: Forged Rods for 1.8T...Scat or Pauter?

Postby Mazdout » September 9th, 2013, 7:16 am

Put any rods in your motor you plan on doing more than 300tq/350hp in????>_<
Read that Pauter is the better brand of the two. Specially if ur gonna push your engine to its limits and the extra piece of mind on hand. Wouldn't go wrong with either just scat is much more affordable.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » September 9th, 2013, 11:45 am

well boy at present I am at my limit.... TriniVdub and Ecotune cud attest to such....getting lil antsy as well...so was either that or the stroker kit...i doh need all that fyahz....

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » September 9th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Unless you're going ridiculously high in power I doubt you'd need the extra strength of the Pauter. If you're increasing your rev range, then maybe the better balancing will help a bit. Assuming of course that some of that extra cost is because of better balancing.

I've used Scat rods before, and I've used other 'better' brands, and had no problem with either.
If you're staying in the 350-400hp range the quality of build and the tuning are going to be more important than which rod you pick in this case.

You're also not the first to ask this I see :

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... Which-ones

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea ... rods-thred

If man getting 400whp with the Scat, you should be fine.

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Monk BANzai » September 11th, 2013, 11:05 pm

yeah.....spoke with 034 Motorsport today...real helpful guy...gave alot of info on the long block that I have...said SCAT is the best option cost wise.

waxcmus
Street 2NR

Postby waxcmus » September 11th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Measure twice cut once, pauter

thegtiman
TriniTuner Crew

Postby thegtiman » September 14th, 2013, 12:27 pm

For 20vT engines we in Europe use Integrated Engineering rifle drilled rods. They are the best value rods on the market.

Uprated rods are only required if you are pushing the engine over 300lbft or want to run revs in excess of 7200rpm.

TriniVdub
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TriniVdub » September 14th, 2013, 9:58 pm

^^^what he said... IE rods cant beat the price or the performance.

thegtiman u alivee?? :lol: long time no hear man welcome back

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Monk BANzai » September 15th, 2013, 4:43 am

^^^ yo Dub..you needs to call me...lol....serious debate in the garage with karlos and them....lol...

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » September 15th, 2013, 2:17 pm

i have scat in my engine so woodrecommend/10

thegtiman
TriniTuner Crew

Postby thegtiman » September 15th, 2013, 8:49 pm

TriniVdub wrote:^^^what he said... IE rods cant beat the price or the performance.

thegtiman u alivee?? :lol: long time no hear man welcome back

So busy I forgot about this place.

Pauter jobs are very expensive and Scat are cheap jobs made on China. IE rods are priced between the 2 and gives the option of allowing an oil passage to the small end pin as per OE installation. These are the ones widely used in EA113 20vT/ EA827 16vT engines here in the Europe up to 600+ bhp, no issue.

As said you should only contemplate such items for engines that would achieve and sustain over 300lbft and run 7000++ rpm. If the spec of the engine can achieve in excess of the above, I would also recommend a set of Supertech or Ferrea on piece valves to ensure the top end is robust. Stock 1.8T motors are known to have the stock valve head drop off and ruin the entire engine even with good rich COP fuel control at +800 deg C EGTs.

My 2bhp...

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Monk BANzai » September 16th, 2013, 12:29 am

cool....actually the pricing is only $20US more than the Scat (034 motorsports..)....

will review the valvetrain issue Eddie...

thegtiman
TriniTuner Crew

Postby thegtiman » September 16th, 2013, 1:28 am

Conrods in your engine (BFB or BEX) are the same 19mm small end jobs as in a Golf 4/Seat Leon Mk1/Skoda Octavia Mk1 w/ AUM/AUQ lump.
http://www.intengineering.com/integrate ... ds-vw-audi
You need to add an extra 25 USD for the "Rifle" drilling.

Can I ask what is the intended spec of this engine? And what will the car be used for?

Are they able to do live or custom ME7.X remaps in Trini yet ( not generic flashes)?

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » September 16th, 2013, 11:55 am

Custom MAPS from me courtesy Protune UK

TriniVdub
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TriniVdub » September 16th, 2013, 9:38 pm

BANzai Rastafarai wrote:^^^ yo Dub..you needs to call me...lol....serious debate in the garage with karlos and them....lol...

:lol: :lol: PM me your number and we;ll see if we can link up this week

thegtiman
TriniTuner Crew

Postby thegtiman » September 17th, 2013, 11:00 am

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:Custom MAPS from me courtesy Protune UK

That is not the same as reading with a original proper tool like MPPS, opening a fully licenced version of WinOLS, opening ME7 definition files created specifically for the vehicle's software level and making changes right there then to certain features to deliver a calibration that suits the hardware and the owners requirements. Once done you can flash with the checksums corrected job done.
Alternatively you can map ME7 and older systems real time with an emulator.
The company you described to me from Blackpool does what many aftermarket map file re sellers do from a long distance, very similar service to Revo, GIAC, Custom Code and APR.
It is still all desktop just with some supplied logs and not as brilliant as calibrator present on vehicle and performing changes in real time of after taking the car out for a blat.

With MED17.x, ME7.x or ME3.8.x/5.9.x if you have the tools and understand the strategy, they can be remapped just as a standalone.

I guess that is the limitations your guys have to live with.

Maybe I should come to Trinidad and do a 'proper' calibration to Rawle's car. :D

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » September 17th, 2013, 11:18 am

thegtiman wrote:

That is not the same as reading with a original proper tool like MPPS, opening a fully licenced version of WinOLS, opening ME7 definition files created specifically for the vehicle's software level and making changes right there then to certain features to deliver a calibration that suits the hardware and the owners requirements. Once done you can flash with the checksums corrected job done.
The company you described to me from Blackpool does what many aftermarket map file re sellers do from a long distance, very similar service to Revo, GIAC, Custom Code and APR.
It is still all desktop just with some supplied logs and not as brilliant as calibrator present on vehicle and performing changes in real time of after taking the car out for a blat.

With MED17.x, ME7.x or ME3.8.x/5.9.x if you have the tools and understand the strategy, they can be remapped just as a standalone.

Maybe I should come to Trinidad and do a 'proper' calibration to Rawle's car. :D

I see..well in all fairness you asked about custom tuning loosely (as in not generic map files) so I assumed you meant what I offer which is in fact 'custom' based on logs, versus tuning via emulation...my mistake good sir..carry on :)

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Monk BANzai » September 17th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Man either which way is knowledge sharing all around...as I pointed out to EcoTune....i'ts a bit uncomfortable not having "hands on" tuning tools as opposed to "from a distance"....that said...what they've done so far im comfortable with....

Edz....maybe on your next trip you can toggle (if I still have her..inno i change cars like draws) with her...

Eco....As you seen, i not doing anything else with it until i get those rods and uprated fuel delivery bits..

One ques. Are the pistons good for 350/400? or one would suggest get pistons as well?

thegtiman
TriniTuner Crew

Postby thegtiman » September 17th, 2013, 12:26 pm

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:
thegtiman wrote:

I see..well in all fairness you asked about custom tuning loosely (as in not generic map files) so I assumed you meant what I offer which is in fact 'custom' based on logs, versus tuning via emulation...my mistake good sir..carry on :)

My apologies for not being clearer. :D
My version of 'custom' is driving the vehicle to work (62 miles one way, A, B and Motorway) or over a defined period with my tools and making changes until it 'feels right' for the various drive conditions and fuel types. I would also be looking at logs (not VDS) and then giving back to the owner for validation. Luckily I do not depend on third parties for base generic stg 1 to whatever maps or to make changes for me and can take the vehicle's bin file and modify it myself to deliver the performance based on the hardware available.
Most of the 16000 parameters present in some definitions I have access to so a real matched calibration can be created.
With turbo engines you are attempting to create a larger NASP motor with the response or time to torque to suit.

I have the same philosophy with vehicles fitted with a SEM.

As a researcher, OEM engine calibrator and prolific VW enthusiast I appreciate my method may not be profitable for a business, but hopefully you get the drift.
Last edited by thegtiman on September 17th, 2013, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegtiman
TriniTuner Crew

Postby thegtiman » September 17th, 2013, 12:32 pm

BANzai Rastafarai wrote:Man either which way is knowledge sharing all around...as I pointed out to EcoTune....i'ts a bit uncomfortable not having "hands on" tuning tools as opposed to "from a distance"....that said...what they've done so far im comfortable with....

Edz....maybe on your next trip you can toggle (if I still have her..inno i change cars like draws) with her...

Eco....As you seen, i not doing anything else with it until i get those rods and uprated fuel delivery bits..

One ques. Are the pistons good for 350/400? or one would suggest get pistons as well?

Rawle the pistons are forged units by Mahle and are good support 400+bhp. We have several vehicles over here running GT30 on stock pistons as well as the std ME7 system.

I would suggest if you are spending money on a big power engine build ( for 400+bhp) then you reduce the CR and purchase pistons with 8.5:1 CR, along with the Rifle drilled rods, supertech valve train. This would allow more timing towards MBT and thus produce more torque in the areas that are det limited.
I am spec'ing a Seat Lean LCR as we speak with a GT30 for a friend of mine to 400 bhp. There is no 3rd party map on such an application.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”