TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

7 Speed DSG Clutch Slipping!!!

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

7 Speed DSG Clutch Slipping!!!

Postby svramoutar » March 10th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Ok folks, it is I, with yet another issue with my VW MK5 7 Speed DSG. My car's clutches seem to be slipping in the odd number gears. Initially, when the hesitation started, I thought the injectors simply needed a cleaning, so I bought a treatment, but that didn't do the trick. It was only when I went for a service by my mechanic and the he ran a diagnostic test on it, something to do with 'clutches reaching their limit' came up. The mechanic asked me if I was experiencing juddering, to which I replied "No". So, we deleted the error code and I went along my merry way.

Something is clearly not right though. I even went as far down south to a guy to have my intake valves cleaned, but I didn't go through with that, thank god, because the guy could not even get the hose out. There were other issues with him, but I won't get into that. After searching google for DSG Slippage, a YouTube video came up illustrating the symptoms, but what caught my eye was the guy commenting on it and saying he experienced it as well. Larnell Cooper, if you're reading this, I desperately need some guidance bro, because i ain't shelling out $11,000 to change no clutches in guava season now.

Anyone that can help me, I look forward to your feedback. Thanks again.

Sanjay

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: 7 Speed DSG Clutch Slipping!!!

Postby telfer » March 10th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Try driving it in tiptronic and let all the gears run out to its max maybe the clutches are glazed

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 10th, 2016, 9:38 pm

No, this a different issue, not juddering. It's slipping, and apparently they're saying that this is the result of me driving in tip all the time. The issue seems to be getting better, but slowly as I drive in D all the time now.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » March 11th, 2016, 6:26 am

Can you describe what you're experiencing?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 11th, 2016, 8:18 am

svramoutar wrote:No, this a different issue, not juddering. It's slipping, and apparently they're saying that this is the result of me driving in tip all the time. The issue seems to be getting better, but slowly as I drive in D all the time now.

The car protects itself. Dealer telling you tiptronic is the problem is them just talking sheit. The car was designed with tip in mind and the only difference between that and the other modes is you selecting when to change gear.

If it slipping only on odd numbers then you have a problem with ONE of your clutches and it may need to be changed.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 11th, 2016, 8:36 am

Also if it needs changing let BA change it on goodwill cuz they designed to last the "life" of the car or like 300k km at least. Not like it's a wear and tear part due to driving style as it regulates clutch bite point and whatnot so it's not your fault it slipping.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 11th, 2016, 12:20 pm

Ok, thanks Bunny, that's what I thought, but they were very dismissive when I spoke to them yesterday. Even Lisa just put her head down and nodded to what Ryan was telling me. It's as though she was forced to agree with him when she in fact knows what they're telling me is wrong. Is there any way I can call VW directly away and explain my situation to them?

Sanjay

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 11th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Would have to dig for that link cuz I can't remember it off hand. Neexis might have the link too. Did anyone go for a test drive with you/experience the problem and acknowledge in their system as a complaint by you? In the mean time you should go in and calmly (this is very important) ask them to explain to you how tiptronic is responsible and also what part of the manual tells you not to use it in case it causes damage (there is no page stating this). You can ask why the manufacturer would include a mode of operation for the transmission that causes damage to itself and doesn't have a service interval for the dealer to intervene. Include your responses to these questions to VW when you write them after getting the link.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 11th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Well what they're saying is it's normal wear and tear just like brake pads etc. Not that anything is wrong with it.

Sanjay

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 11th, 2016, 3:50 pm

What mileage you doing?

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 11th, 2016, 4:29 pm

About 58,000 miles.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 11th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Dem on sheit. You don't control the clutch pedal so not responsible for wear rate. Not like you track racing. Also why one clutch worn more? 58k miles is nothing. They designed to last much longer than that. They can't blame you for that seriously.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 11th, 2016, 4:50 pm

That's what I figured, but how do I go about dealing with them? I have no proof of anything. If I had any documentation as back up it will make my life easier. I'm even considering writing to VW abroad but who do I write to? Germany? I spoke to one of the techs up there at BA, and he admitted that I have no control over the clutch as well, but depending on traffic etc it could wear down over time. One tech charging me $11,000 to supply and install. My thing is, I understand it will wear down eventually, but I didn't expect it so soon. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Sanjay

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » March 12th, 2016, 6:37 am

Here's the link I used

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwc ... /form.html

When I submitted my concerns about the service campaign for the DSG mineral oil, they responded saying that they have a network of dealers around the world to handle these problems and basically they cannot deal with every individual situation. Funny enough I got a call 2 weeks later from BA saying to come in for transmission oil change.

Hope you get some kinda similar response.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 12th, 2016, 7:32 am

Ok, thank you. Gonna carry the car in to them this week, let them run the scan and see what their response is then first so I'll know how to move. I didn't let them scan as yet. I'm not asking for it free because I would've gotten some use out of it, but I think they should cover the majority of the costs because I don't believe clutches should go that quickly. Will update as I progress.

Sanjay

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » March 12th, 2016, 6:41 pm

My K2 clutch was slipping when transitioning from D1 to D2 at lower RPM's (but not in tiptronic) after about a year. Tried the usual stuff of running hard, but that never made a difference.

Eventually they replaced it under warranty and no judder since. Perhaps some of the clutches have some kind of defect?

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » March 12th, 2016, 11:19 pm

VW on the whole seems to be producing defective engines and transmissions. My K2 clutch pack was replaced under warranty as well. Lisa and them seems to have their hands full now with defective vehicles coming in
but do what bunny advised. be very straight with them and you should get thru

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » March 13th, 2016, 9:22 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:VW on the whole seems to be producing defective engines and transmissions. My K2 clutch pack was replaced under warranty as well. Lisa and them seems to have their hands full now with defective vehicles coming in
but do what bunny advised. be very straight with them and you should get thru

If that were true my engine would surely fail (25,000 miles) with 100hp more it has from factory...funny enough these cars do well to average from the UK reliability index...

These engines are designed for 98ron but will work with 95ron...anything lower even once then kaput.

Lemme elaborate...these engines have a feature to warm up rather quickly on cold startup...the CAT converter already restrictive, traps majority heat/exhaust after combustion which it uses to warm quicker while leaning out fuel mixture...during normal operation in our hot climate more fuel is added to the cyclinder bore to aid in keeping engine cooler(which is why gas comsumption increases in stop/go traffic) keeping in mind the restrictive CAT converter traps heat in the engine head....you see where Im going with this right?

More heat build up from exhaust, more fuel- bore wash, less oil lubricating under piston bore, then gas trapped between the piston rings increases temp possibly igniting (misfires) then u develop a crack piston....

I currently have my car decated, and used heat exhaust wrap so it keeps the engine cooler...result? On a 37 degree day my oil temp sits at 93 degrees while highway runs at cruising speed.

Another tip for the dsg? Avoid unecessary shifts to keep dsg heat at bay...mpg are not impacted significantly to make a difference...ie. 1st gear in stop and go traffic below 40km/h

Who is to say where we each fill fuel that the premium and super isnt mixed by the gas station, like what was reported in the express of a gas station in south last week and alot of customers has damaged engines as a result.?

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » March 14th, 2016, 7:42 am

Don't see the relevance of all that to the clutch slipping though on new cars. Mine was exposed to minimal stop/go traffic situations, with occasional bouts of tiptronic and Sport mode, and that slip started within the first year of ownership.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » March 14th, 2016, 8:18 am

My clutch pack was replaced in second year if ownership...and that was north to south driving against traffic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » March 14th, 2016, 8:30 am

A dsg remap would cure 99% of those clutch shudder issues...even presented a case to BA...but we know how that goes...management/warranty issues

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » March 14th, 2016, 9:16 am

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:A dsg remap would cure 99% of those clutch shudder issues...even presented a case to BA...but we know how that goes...management/warranty issues

Lol yea Eco
Really hoping to check you this year for sure

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 14th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Well folks thanks for all the info. I got an appointment for the morning to have them run the scan. Will see how it goes. VW is a big big disappointment. If they not lying about emissions, they having clutch issues, Mechatronic issues, etc SMH, I give up.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 14th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Time to buy a tiida bai.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » March 14th, 2016, 2:37 pm

Time to buy ah Toyota

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 14th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Time to buy a tiida bai.

Hahaha, yeah boy Bunny it looking so, a Wet Man.

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 14th, 2016, 5:36 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:Time to buy ah Toyota

What Toyota though, Corolla?

svramoutar
3NE 2NR for life

Postby svramoutar » March 14th, 2016, 5:39 pm

EcoTune Trinidad wrote:A dsg remap would cure 99% of those clutch shudder issues...even presented a case to BA...but we know how that goes...management/warranty issues

Nathan, I could live with the shuddering, but this is a whole other issue I'm having. I'm sure my clutch pack is defective, but of course they won't admit that, they under pressure in there. Best Auto gonna run down VW just like how Peugeot and Renault disappear from the market.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » March 14th, 2016, 6:50 pm

svramoutar wrote:
supercharged turbo wrote:Time to buy ah Toyota

What Toyota though, Corolla?
For ah car yes the Corolla,for a van Hilux.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 14th, 2016, 7:21 pm

svramoutar wrote:

Nathan, I could live with the shuddering, but this is a whole other issue I'm having. I'm sure my clutch pack is defective, but of course they won't admit that, they under pressure in there. Best Auto gonna run down VW just like how Peugeot and Renault disappear from the market.

Part numbers have been updated for the clutches. Shuddering should stop so when you get yours changed you should be ok.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”