Forums

Best doubles in T&T

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: One doubles.........

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 7th, 2019, 10:19 pm

pugboy wrote:Anybody tried Frank's behind uwi doubles ?
Friends of mine rate him up plenty.
Decentish. Don't get the hype.

Don't eat doubles that often anymore, maybe twice a year.

Maybe I was expecting too much.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 7th, 2019, 11:37 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:

Cant handle the big junk of mango he does give you with the sweet sauce. And well his wait time if you taking away is a disincentive as well.

mero
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby mero » August 8th, 2019, 1:52 am

First doubles I throw away.. Went back a second time for redemption, absolutely tasteless.

Most overrated doubles in T&T. Get chain up on 2nr self here, allyuh MC
VexXx Dogg wrote:

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » August 8th, 2019, 3:09 am

mero wrote:First doubles I throw away.. Went back a second time for redemption, absolutely tasteless.

Most overrated doubles in T&T. Get chain up on 2nr self here, allyuh MC
VexXx Dogg wrote:

same ting i say, if not for all the coconut chutney and other sauces the doubles have no taste or flavour. it have a man selling up valencia first double man as you enter valencia he doubles have flavour, i neva expect to see a good doubles on that side. everyone rushing that crap by omera lights they shud take a lil drive up for a better taste.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 8th, 2019, 6:46 am

tbh doubles is not a gourmet food to be "searching" out imho
sure there are good and bad but all the hype and rating is a bit much sometimes.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 8th, 2019, 7:05 am

back in the day I used to like to sample doubles from all over...I done ah that now...as I said only one man I buy from and that is very rare....but I'd go with meh bowl at least once for the week and take ah $10 worth ah channa doh...all the sauces etc...

at least 15 years ago there was a guy who sold doubles in a little restaurant in Grande...His name was "dos"...you walk in, you get your barra and channa in a plate and you sit right there at the establishment with a red solo at the side..that was when doubles was $2.....those were the days

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 8th, 2019, 7:16 am

Lol

I remember that, plate of channa and 2 bara like a roti.
1 was a meal
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:back in the day I used to like to sample doubles from all over...I done ah that now...as I said only one man I buy from and that is very rare....but I'd go with meh bowl at least once for the week and take ah $10 worth ah channa doh...all the sauces etc...

at least 15 years ago there was a guy who sold doubles in a little restaurant in Grande...His name was "dos"...you walk in, you get your barra and channa in a plate and you sit right there at the establishment with a red solo at the side..that was when doubles was $2.....those were the days

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » August 8th, 2019, 8:17 am

Mercenary wrote:
viedcht wrote:
Mercenary wrote:
yea I wouldn't mind eating it.

na boy I doh have dat level ah belly

where in tarouba have good tasting doubles? ill pass n check it out.
Nah, it eh all dat. Is the two old ladies under the tent, where the chain pull adjacent to the bar. Only doubles stand I frequent is Jays on N/Grant junction. Pies decent, hot saheena does lash. They make the traditional rolled kind.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » August 8th, 2019, 8:21 am

True. Once every two weeks or so I have for breakfast. Not recommended for a steady diet.
pugboy wrote:tbh doubles is not a gourmet food to be "searching" out imho
sure there are good and bad but all the hype and rating is a bit much sometimes.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 8th, 2019, 9:17 am

Thsts basically chole bature then.

Bourdain said doubles reminded of that.
*KRONIK* wrote:Lol

I remember that, plate of channa and 2 bara like a roti.
1 was a meal
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:back in the day I used to like to sample doubles from all over...I done ah that now...as I said only one man I buy from and that is very rare....but I'd go with meh bowl at least once for the week and take ah $10 worth ah channa doh...all the sauces etc...

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » August 8th, 2019, 5:43 pm

long time i eh eat ah doubles but i used to buy from a man in el soccoro around unipet that used to taste rellll good but then i stop going that side

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 8th, 2019, 6:42 pm

[quote="Zetski"]long time i eh eat ah doubles but i used to buy from a man in el soccoro around unipet that used to taste rellll good but then i stop going that side[/quote

That is right by my corner and if you find it good, either you have no taste or you don't know what good doubles taste like.

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » August 8th, 2019, 6:51 pm

rspann wrote:
Zetski wrote:long time i eh eat ah doubles but i used to buy from a man in el soccoro around unipet that used to taste rellll good but then i stop going that side[/quote

That is right by my corner and if you find it good, either you have no taste or you don't know what good doubles taste like.

i talking years now you know like around 2010 or so lol

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 8th, 2019, 7:01 pm

They there real long for true. They improve a little now. The ammonia smell in the channa not as strong again. Their Baiganee and Aloo pie does taste alright though. When they do their weekly oil change the doubles does taste good for the first two days.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 8th, 2019, 7:04 pm

That is the secret of them Chinese restaurants
The fry chicken does taste better when the oil build up some seasoning

rspann wrote:They there real long for true. They improve a little now. The ammonia smell in the channa not as strong again. Their Baiganee and Aloo pie does taste alright though. When they do their weekly oil change the doubles does taste good for the first two days.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » August 8th, 2019, 7:09 pm

pugboy wrote:That is the secret of them Chinese restaurants
The fry chicken does taste better when the oil build up some seasoning

rspann wrote:They there real long for true. They improve a little now. The ammonia smell in the channa not as strong again. Their Baiganee and Aloo pie does taste alright though. When they do their weekly oil change the doubles does taste good for the first two days.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mercenary
Riding on 18's

Postby Mercenary » August 8th, 2019, 7:18 pm

rspann wrote:
Zetski wrote:long time i eh eat ah doubles but i used to buy from a man in el soccoro around unipet that used to taste rellll good but then i stop going that side[/quote

:lol:

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 8th, 2019, 7:26 pm

It have a chain of branded doubles called country style,
They all over the country and using vene labour

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » August 8th, 2019, 8:23 pm

This?

And how it taste?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 8th, 2019, 8:39 pm

No idea how it taste
but all the, doubles vendors trying hard to differentiate
Lot of them wearing chef jacket too

All the sauce branches very well lit with spot light in the night and heavy signage

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » August 8th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Johnny's doubles in la romaine still good?

I find Singh's on Mission Road, freeport off the highway tastes pretty good

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » August 8th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Hull yuh mc :lol: :lol:

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » August 8th, 2019, 9:24 pm

goalpost wrote:Johnny's doubles in la romaine still good?

You talking about the van by the La Fortune junction where the police post is sometimes?

I did not go there in a while, but a few months now I think I seeing the exact same van by the traffic lights by Golconda.
(Driving toward Sando/Southbound lane direction, off on the shoulder side/left)

I buy one recently.
I was hungry like a sufferer because I had work overnight, so I eat that just to hold out.
Wasn't looking for taste, but it was 'arite'

Didn't like the oil smell tho and I did not buy from them in years (in La romain), so can't comment if it improve or decline.

But I think this is one of the few times I see doubles selling without a stagnant drain next to the bara box.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 9th, 2019, 4:38 am

few years ago people used to speak about kelvin and rose outside valpark(mostly night vendors)....ate a couple times and it was decentish....not sure if they still around.....when yuh go there is level kishore kumar yuh hearing

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » August 9th, 2019, 7:06 am

pugboy wrote:No idea how it taste
but all the, doubles vendors trying hard to differentiate
Lot of them wearing chef jacket too

All the sauce branches very well lit with spot light in the night and heavy signage

waste ah time. doh even try. they start out in barataria and god know how they still in business, even the red man dat used to work for them say doh eat dat.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » August 9th, 2019, 7:14 am

Zetski wrote:

Hull yuh mc :lol: :lol:

dey used to taste good when the fella with the mole on d face use to wrap for them. when the green wagon used to drop the doubles. i talking about late 1995 or so, they were selling in the gas station and it was a np gas station st the time.. the man with d mole working websorce now i think. since this blak boy wrapping and doh ask for the sour face gyul that doubles is shiet, idk if them have a second branch in aranguez but the gyul selling there have the same sour face. how a man cud eat a doubles and watch that sour face. even the black boy does talk to much and all dat spit in the channa. doubles dese days not good at all. best yuh buy a sada and tomato choka.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 9th, 2019, 7:54 am

Obviously this entire discussion will always be a subjective matter. But let me try to set some scientific standardization with a rationale.

Doubles obviously taste best when served right away in front the server. To start: you should need 2 napkins to hold it because it should be piping hot, so hot that you must be forced to slow down and wait for it to cool (at least 10 seconds, to 30 seconds) to savour the meal or else your mouth will be burned.

1. The barra: should be of sufficient thickness to be able to scoop and hold enough channa and sauces for a good bite. Some people make these paper thin barra that rip up in the middle like roti. wtf man! They're cheating you and they know it. Should be soft, have a very smooth savoury mouth-feel texture which makes you salivate more to distribute the flavour profile of the food when you chew a few times. It should hold up on its own without any channa.
  2. Most vendors get the barra right when it's hot, so the next obvious standard is the channa. Again, subjective. Some vendors put in a lot of spices and curry to make it dark, and some don't, and it's smooth and yellow. When hot and the channa running with steam, either way is usually good, unless these people really cannot cook. A man who knows his trade should have soaked the channa with salt or baking soda overnight before washing and cooking. This allows the magnesium and potassium and other salts in the bean to remain there, instead of being leached out in the overnight soaking. The result is a creamier texture of the cooked bean as well as a mellow burst of umami when the bean is crushed in your mouth. The channa should be soft with no crunch at all.
  3. Then the efforts of sauces are next: must have a decent pepper and a green sauce at least. Next is cucumber (but i know some people hate this in their doubles), and maybe the luxury of coconut chutney. Finally roast pepper for those who want the extra kick. Some have kuchela which is always a nice treat because the spicy, hot, roasted cumin and tangy mango goes very well with the channa. A good vendor would understand what ratio to serve these in the default "slight." Sweet sauce doesn't belong in a doubles. It's a savoury food. Sweet is disgusting in a food like that (imagine eating curry baigan and currant's roll) and you are doing yourself a culinary disfavour if you don't know how to pair certain foods to make your taste buds "pop" correctly. Plus sugar fools your brain into making everything taste better, but it masks the true flavour and spices of the food you're eating. That's why processed food has a ton of sugar or salt.
The truth is, it's hard to find a bad doubles if you're eating it on the spot it's the right temperature (2 napkin hold) and you're feeling the actual hunger for food.

Therefore the test for a good doubles, for me, is how it tastes when wrapped, i.e. when it is not served in the optimal conditions. And a lot of doubles are truly nasty when cold. For one, the dark channa side does not bode well when cold. That curry spices only works when it's runny and steaming. Not soaked into a soft soggy barra like a floppy dog ears. Therefore my preference has been the yellow channa. It tastes just as good when not hot, it's not over-spiced and still retains the true flavour profile when dog-nose cold. It's hard to find the yellow channa, but there have been a few in Chaguanas that do it right. Then the ratio: do you want to unwrap a soggy messy rag on your plate when it's cold with half of the brown bag soaked and tearing with a touch, or an optimally wrapped and contained sandwich which is just almost spilling over? The barra will not be too soggy and should still have a decent mouth-feel bite especially around the edges. This is important too in serving hot. Some vendors don't understand the ratio and when the 2 barra gone, you're left with a bowl of soup and your fingers.

Conclusion: you just have to experiment and see what you like. It will always be subjective, but I ask some measure of standardization when conducting your tests as I have outlined above. And the ultimate test is a cold wrapped doubles on a plate. This should eliminate the bias of any old doubles tasting good when it is hot.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 9th, 2019, 8:30 am

personally I preferred eating doubles when the channa is not fresh out pot
when it settle and thicken it becomes more uniform in taste and mouthfeel

bara will always have variations during serving
you cant expect a bara that was at the top of the jampacked box to be the same as one at the bottom being compressed and sitting sapping all the oil from the others above it, far less if it made several hours before in a factory vs a fresh made one that was fried on the spot

eating a cooled down doubles is always a good test, just like eating a cooled pizza
because a hot pizza all you mostly tasting is hot cheese sticking up in your mouth

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » August 9th, 2019, 8:53 am

For the guys heading Pt Fortin, Sonny's Doubles by the old gas station Oropuche and Sooknanan Doubles by the fishing bay .

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 9th, 2019, 9:04 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:few years ago people used to speak about kelvin and rose outside valpark(mostly night vendors)....ate a couple times and it was decentish....not sure if they still around.....when yuh go there is level kishore kumar yuh hearing
They are outside Grand Bazaar now. Northern side.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”