Forums

WTK Tank or Tankless Water Heater

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: WTK Tank or Tankless Water Heater

Postby Habit7 » April 27th, 2021, 4:30 pm

I agree I didn't match the specs perfectly I used an outlet for range, and if that is not enough, then it's too fancy for me. My Ecosmart going strong and not complaining, it serving the entire house.

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » April 27th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Racently had to change and tanked water heater. Many options available locally in Ao Smith 20 gal, but I was looking for a Bradford White. In the end got it at Parts World.

I am no plumber or electrician but I was able to reamove that old unit. Add more support to the stand with marine ply and dexion pieces and add some oil paint.

with a pro handyman we installed. Looking towards another 10 plus years of worry free service. This new unit is much easier to flush .

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » June 1st, 2021, 12:11 pm

cornfused wrote:Racently had to change and tanked water heater. Many options available locally in Ao Smith 20 gal, but I was looking for a Bradford White. In the end got it at Parts World.

I am no plumber or electrician but I was able to reamove that old unit. Add more support to the stand with marine ply and dexion pieces and add some oil paint.

with a pro handyman we installed. Looking towards another 10 plus years of worry free service. This new unit is much easier to flush .

what price you got it for?
I see most ppl are switching to tankless when their tanks fail.
I got over 12 years on this tank but now it needs changing

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 1st, 2021, 12:33 pm

The game changer for me with a tank is the ability for everyone to still have a hot shower when electricity is gone unless you get a gas powered tankless.
Had that decision in Jan this year and went with an AO from a Bradford due to that model having a drain whereas the Bradford didn't. I also have a water heater timer so some electricity savings roughly worked out to about $50 every two months. That unit just failed after 11 years of use.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 1st, 2021, 2:49 pm

rebound wrote:Try Westinghouse, works great..I purchased them by Ramlagans
Reamos DC5 wrote:Morning Tuners,

Stiebel Eltron DCE 10 Trend (Tankless Water Heater)

Any reviews?

Hola :D

What model did you buy ? Price ?

The Westinghouse model .

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » June 1st, 2021, 5:04 pm

I bought state select 20 gallon nice and small and neat. It's short to fit under cupboards. Think I got it at water source

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » June 1st, 2021, 6:13 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
cornfused wrote:Racently had to change and tanked water heater. Many options available locally in Ao Smith 20 gal, but I was looking for a Bradford White. In the end got it at Parts World.

I am no plumber or electrician but I was able to remove that old unit. Add more support to the stand with marine ply and Dexion pieces and add some oil paint.

$3,500

what price you got it for?
I see most ppl are switching to tankless when their tanks fail.
I got over 12 years on this tank but now it needs changing

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » June 1st, 2021, 6:15 pm

Dave wrote:The game changer for me with a tank is the ability for everyone to still have a hot shower when electricity is gone unless you get a gas powered tankless.
Had that decision in Jan this year and went with an AO from a Bradford due to that model having a drain whereas the Bradford didn't. I also have a water heater timer so some electricity savings roughly worked out to about $50 every two months. That unit just failed after 11 years of use.

Daddy Dave my Bradford has a drain much different from my old tanked water heater

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 1st, 2021, 6:25 pm

Thanks bro. I didn't think they updated the design I had and didn't even both to look at what they were offering me. The images online for the Bradford's didn't show any drains. Would have rather back a Bradford as the the line re routing would have been less if any at all.
cornfused wrote:
Dave wrote:The game changer for me with a tank is the ability for everyone to still have a hot shower when electricity is gone unless you get a gas powered tankless.

Daddy Dave my Bradford has a drain much different from my old tanked water heater

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 12th, 2022, 10:20 am

Good morning folks. In the market for a tankless set up. Rotoplastics and water source pushing steilbel. Been reading about problems here and there. I have my 220 outlet with a 50A breaker. Point me in a good direction please. Keep in mind it's to service 4 bathrooms.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » March 12th, 2022, 10:22 am

Upstairs and downstairs?
Saw some Ecosmart units around.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 12th, 2022, 10:29 am

Dave wrote:Upstairs and downstairs?
Saw some Ecosmart units around.

Yes sir...up and down...2 baths upstairs, 2 downstairs

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 12th, 2022, 10:39 am

you might need 2 heaters

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » March 12th, 2022, 11:12 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Good morning folks. In the market for a tankless set up. Rotoplastics and water source pushing steilbel. Been reading about problems here and there. I have my 220 outlet with a 50A breaker. Point me in a good direction please. Keep in mind it's to service 4 bathrooms.

What size wire do you have for that supply? For the past few years we’ve had to upgrade most electrical supplies for customers who’ve gone from tank to tankless.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

WTK Tank or Tankless Water Heater

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 12th, 2022, 11:37 am

^ it was costing me waaay too much to go tankless because of the rewiring so I went back with a tank

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 12th, 2022, 11:40 am

yep, even them fame shower heads often get wires arcing off with the correct wires because the supplied wires are so thick you have to know how to twist them good to make good connection

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 12th, 2022, 12:25 pm

matix wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Good morning folks. In the market for a tankless set up. Rotoplastics and water source pushing steilbel. Been reading about problems here and there. I have my 220 outlet with a 50A breaker. Point me in a good direction please. Keep in mind it's to service 4 bathrooms.

What size wire do you have for that supply? For the past few years we’ve had to upgrade most electrical supplies for customers who’ve gone from tank to tankless.

3x10 cables

pato
Street 2NR

Postby pato » March 12th, 2022, 2:37 pm

pugboy wrote:yep, even them fame shower heads often get wires arcing off with the correct wires because the supplied wires are so thick you have to know how to twist them good to make good connection

Those Shower head heaters are usually called "suicide showers" for a reasons, be extremely careful with those

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 12th, 2022, 2:53 pm

i thought they were called "shocking showers"

the key thing is they must have their own isolated circuit close to them
so any wires overheating or melted burns right there close to the unit and not elsewhere to catch other things on fire.

they are in very wide use around the country.

pato wrote:
pugboy wrote:yep, even them fame shower heads often get wires arcing off with the correct wires because the supplied wires are so thick you have to know how to twist them good to make good connection

Those Shower head heaters are usually called "suicide showers" for a reasons, be extremely careful with those

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » March 13th, 2022, 4:32 am

^^
Tankless better than Tank .

Waaaaay better !

With Tankless your hot water is practically unlimited .

With Tank the hot water is limited to the size (gallon) of your tank .

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 13th, 2022, 6:03 am

RedVEVO wrote:^^

Waaaaay better !

How much hot water do you need on a daily basis exactly?
Due to size constraints, I have the smallest water heater tank (Bradford White 40 gallon) and it is more than adequate

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 13th, 2022, 7:46 am

De Dragon wrote:

Waaaaay better !

Due to size constraints, I have the smallest water heater tank (Bradford White 40 gallon) and it is more than adequate

There is no clear winner in the tank vs. tankless argument. The answer is really dependent on usage, infrastructure, space requirements, and cost.

40 gal is what you would want for a family of four - the rule of thumb is 10 gal/person. There are smaller electric tank water heaters available.

When sizing a tankless water heater, an estimate of maximum usage based on adding the flow rate of each fixture that is assumed to be used simultaneously is required. Then you buy that size of tankless water heater.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 13th, 2022, 10:58 am

Another friend mentioned Westinghouse in addition to the steibel...what you guys say?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » March 13th, 2022, 11:15 am

Have gas water heaters zero electricity
Check out camplux on amazon another option to tankless

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » March 13th, 2022, 11:23 am

gastly369 wrote:Have gas water heaters zero electricity
Check out camplux on amazon another option to tankless
Tell me more

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » March 13th, 2022, 11:30 am

De Dragon wrote:

Waaaaay better !

My Bradford white is 30 gallons

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 13th, 2022, 11:33 am

Tank and tankless LPG water heaters are available. They tend not to last as long as electric due to the corrosive nature of LPG combustion. If it has a pilot light, you won't require an electrical connection. An average household will use about four to eight 100 lb tanks each year.

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » March 13th, 2022, 2:25 pm

pugboy wrote:i thought they were called "shocking showers"

so any wires overheating or melted burns right there close to the unit and not elsewhere to catch other things on fire.

pato wrote:

I've been using those things for years (15+) and never experienced any of the problems associated with them . More than anything I believe it's human error. It works for me as i only need hot water in the shower and the people in my house knows exactly how to use it. I want to go tankless eventually as the wifey say she want hot water from the kitchen sink so yea.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 13th, 2022, 3:45 pm

hindian wrote:
pugboy wrote:i thought they were called "shocking showers"

pato wrote:

I've been using those things for years (15+) and never experienced any of the problems associated with them . More than anything I believe it's human error. It works for me as i only need hot water in the shower and the people in my house knows exactly how to use it. I want to go tankless eventually as the wifey say she want hot water from the kitchen sink so yea.
There are some relatively inexpensive undersink heaters from Ducha that work well for retrofitting a single faucet.

You can use PEX tubing for the inlet/outlet and need a 30A 4.0 mm 115V grounded circuit and lighted switch. Just tee off from the cold water supply.

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » March 13th, 2022, 5:22 pm

I didn't know that so I'll definitely be checking that out. Thanks beo

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”