this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Ish/Steve.... Update "May Go Free"

Postby rfari » September 14th, 2012, 8:51 am

16 cycles wrote:
rfari wrote:
16 cycles wrote:this was a plan for everybody with skeletons in the court to wipe them clean....

Epic Backfire......

nobody to blame etc etc......

awaits next scandal....

U's a cont orwha? Nobody to blame? I drink that kool-aid that the ag mix last night? Dotish person u are.

16 cycles wrote:this was a plan for everybody with skeletons in the court to wipe them clean....

pnm and unc had this planning long time - bill was started in pnm tenure...then unc took it and ran...

16 cycles wrote:Epic Backfire......

plan backfired and everybody hadda save face..

16 cycles wrote:nobody to blame etc etc......

PP take on it.....play it off as a foresight etc etc....pnm ain't give a valid reason yet why they were formulating this during last tenure...

rfari wrote:U's a cont orwha? Nobody to blame? I drink that kool-aid that the ag mix last night? Dotish person u are.

leaving that alone.........ask for clarity for a post if you don't understand....

I cyar believe you. Is common knowledge that the opposition only agreed to give the bill the requisite majority on the agreement that certain institutions and procedures are put in place at a certain time. Pp get the vote, take out the section tht pertains to their corruption accused colleagues and send it by max to get it ascended. So for you to say that the opposition and the government in cahoots on this one, I can't see it with all the information that is in the public domain so far. So my question to you still stands.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Ish/Steve.... Update

Postby 16 cycles » September 14th, 2012, 8:57 am

rfari wrote:I cyar believe you. Is common knowledge that the opposition only agreed to give the bill the requisite majority on the agreement that certain institutions and procedures are put in place at a certain time. Pp get the vote, take out the section tht pertains to their corruption accused colleagues and send it by max to get it ascended. So for you to say that the opposition and the government in cahoots on this one, I can't see it with all the information that is in the public domain so far. So my question to you still stands.

never said they in cahoots....everybody seeking their own interests - everyone have their own skeletons before the court.....

opposition relying on this government to do things correctly is the same as saying....yeah fellas....do allyuh thing....putting it in a way for you to understand...who is the 'cont' that gonna believe the government will follow proper procedure and agree to what they said????

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » September 14th, 2012, 9:02 am

16 cycles wrote:

pnm and unc had this planning long time - bill was started in pnm tenure...then unc took it and ran...

I must commend the apologists for their attempt though, but as long as Rituals have free internet I will respond.

The Bill first drafted by the PNM sought to remove the Preliminary Inquiry of certain charges thereby speeding up the judicial process.
The PP brought the bill and included Section 34 after review by the DPP with the specific promise of not proclaiming until we build different judicial centres, put in place a criminal code and address the staff requirements before this bill was passed.

None we done.

pyung99
Trinituner Peong

Postby pyung99 » September 14th, 2012, 9:04 am

oh yes i kno this plot/pot woulda hadda thicken

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 14th, 2012, 9:19 am

Habit7 wrote:
The Bill first drafted by the PNM sought to remove the Preliminary Inquiry of certain charges thereby speeding up the judicial process.

which charges fell under the bill when in pilot stage?

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 14th, 2012, 9:25 am

16 cycles wrote:
rfari wrote:I cyar believe you. Is common knowledge that the opposition only agreed to give the bill the requisite majority on the agreement that certain institutions and procedures are put in place at a certain time. Pp get the vote, take out the section tht pertains to their corruption accused colleagues and send it by max to get it ascended. So for you to say that the opposition and the government in cahoots on this one, I can't see it with all the information that is in the public domain so far. So my question to you still stands.

never said they in cahoots....everybody seeking their own interests - everyone have their own skeletons before the court.....

opposition relying on this government to do things correctly is the same as saying....yeah fellas....do allyuh thing....putting it in a way for you to understand...who is the 'cont' that gonna believe the government will follow proper procedure and agree to what they said????

Bwahahahhahahahah!!!! Aye. U srs dawg? These sort of arrangements have been done in the past with no fiasco like this. U exhibiting primary school thinking dan

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 14th, 2012, 9:35 am

rfari wrote:Bwahahahhahahahah!!!! Aye. U srs dawg? These sort of arrangements have been done in the past with no fiasco like this. U exhibiting primary school thinking dan

which government exhibits the most fiascos to date???

allyuh moving like a battered spouse....'this time they telling the truth'....'this time i trust them'....'they love meh'......

Politics

Po= poor people
li - lies
tics - blood sucking creatures

politics....blood sucking creatures lying to poor people....

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » September 14th, 2012, 9:47 am

16 cycles wrote:
rfari wrote:Bwahahahhahahahah!!!! Aye. U srs dawg? These sort of arrangements have been done in the past with no fiasco like this. U exhibiting primary school thinking dan

which government exhibits the most fiascos to date???

allyuh moving like a battered spouse....'this time they telling the truth'....'this time i trust them'....'they love meh'......

Politics

Po= poor people
li - lies
tics - blood sucking creatures

politics....blood sucking creatures lying to poor people....

Sigh. Nice wordplay there tho.
Can we leave that as is cus I feel as tho we going in circles.
Anyhow, look like some bachannal gonna jumpoff soon on this matter. The accused entertaining a certain minister at his hotel and the minister can't deny the accusation AND the hotel management confirmed that the meeting took place. So much for protecting ur partner neck right.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » September 14th, 2012, 9:51 am

16 cycles wrote:
Habit7 wrote:The Bill first drafted by the PNM sought to remove the Preliminary Inquiry of certain charges thereby speeding up the judicial process.

which charges fell under the bill when in pilot stage?

You go look it up.

Its seem you dont let little issues like FACT hold you back from posting anyway.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » September 14th, 2012, 1:52 pm

^ no problem -

December 2011 in the Gazette, Trinidad and Tobago.....

not seeing corruption / misbehavior in public office / financial impropriety / failure to declare assets (for MPs) in that.....

politicians don't need to pull wool over your eyes.....some people have enough growing already.....both sides help formulate that bill and nothing to hold politicians / fraudsters / white-collar crime accountable even after their tenure.....

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » September 16th, 2012, 11:34 am

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/VOL ... 26396.html
VOLNEY DID IT
Justice Minister took note to Cabinet for bad law to be proclaimed early

IT was Justice Minister Herbert Volney who brought a note to Cabinet which sought the early proclamation of certain sections of the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act.

The Sunday Express learnt that in August the lengthy note was brought to Cabinet and it dealt with the proclamation of the Act in its entirety.

However, the Sunday Express was told that "neatly tucked into that note was the early proclamation of Section 34".

"It was not flagged for the attention of Cabinet as the note primarily dealt with the proclamation of the whole Act. It was very inconspicuous," said a Cabinet source.

It was also Volney, Cabinet sources confirmed to the Sunday Express, who forwarded the note for early proclamation as he was the minister who brought the bill to Parliament.

On September 2, the Sunday Express exclusively reported on the proclamation of certain sections of the Act that came into force on August 31.

The passage of Section 34 meant that a judge could dismiss a matter if it had languished in the court for more than ten years.

The Act, which subsequently became law, allowed two financiers of the United National Congress (UNC)—Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson—to apply to the country's courts to have their matters dismissed.

The possibility of Galbaransingh and Ferguson walking free from this country's courts was condemned by the United States Government which issued a statement last week, saying it was still seeking to extradite the businessmen to face its country's courts.

But in a swift action, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar convened Parliament in emergency session last week to repeal the Act.

Last Friday, President George Maxwell Richards signed the proclamation order repealing Section 34.

Other people and entities who sought to have their matters dismissed were former finance minister Brian Kuei Tung, Ameer Edoo, Maritime Life General Insurance Co Ltd executives John Henry Smith and Barbara Gomes; Maritime Finance; Northern Construction Ltd; Fidelity Finance Leasing Company Ltd; and former government ministers Carlos John and Russell Huggins.

John was Volney's campaign manager in his successful bid for the St Joseph seat for the UNC in the May 2010 general election.

Earlier last week Volney admitted that he met with Galbaransingh two Saturdays ago during a retreat which his ministry held at the Galbaransingh-owned Grafton Beach Resort in Tobago after Opposition MP Colm Imbert raised the issue in Parliament.

Yesterday, Volney blamed the failure of Galbaransingh and Ferguson to be tried in the country's courts, on the failure of the Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard to file an indictment.

He told the Sunday Express in a brief telephone interview early yesterday that the DPP's office had from December last year to August 28 to file an indictment but failed to do so.

"Why are all these old matters not being indicted? There is no oversight over the DPP. He's the man to prosecute. Unless he identifies a case to be brought up, it sits in abeyance," he said.

In Volney's view, both Galbaransingh and Ferguson have already been convicted in the court of public opinion.

"What has the DPP done to ensure that they get a fair trail?" he asked.

Volney believes last week's repeal did not address "historic cases" and these are matters which the DPP sits on.

"That's where Section 34 would have come in. Submissions could have been made to clear the backlog. As a former judge, I have knowledge of this. Few people can do the job I do. I know it. I have done it," he said.

Questioned on his thoughts about calls for his resignation, Volney observed that he was a sitting MP and he served at the prerogative of the Prime Minister.

"I don't see that there is a groundswell of opposition. I think the public perception is that the Parliament overlooked the possible repercussions of a good, well intentioned law, but mindful of the opposition it was repealed," he said.

Volney could not be reached later yesterday for comment on his action to take the note to Cabinet for the early proclamation of the Act.

Asked to comment on whether the DPP was at fault, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan yesterday told the Sunday Express the DPP has explained his role and he was satisfied with it.

And DPP Gaspard, who has expressed concern over the proclamation, declined further comment yesterday on Volney's view about him.

He was content to confine his statement to that made on Section 34.

The DPP had stated it was not his intent to forgo prosecution in the Piarco 1 case.

However, because there was an overlap of defendants with Piarco 2, and there was obvious oppression and impossibility in having them before the High Court on indictment while the preliminary enquiry was ongoing, he had opted instead to have one joint trial to save judicial time and abridge costs.

Ramlogan explained that Section 34 was proclaimed earlier than the entire Act because it was a logical precursor.

"Once the law was passed, you needed to trim the body of cases that would have been going to the High Court. It was specifically to trim the fat in the courts so that pending cases can be advanced," he told the Sunday Express.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 16th, 2012, 12:09 pm

the most important thing is who is volney's campaign manager

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » September 16th, 2012, 12:50 pm

It's common knowledge the "volney" bloodline are a bunch of crooks.

If you not aware then you too young to be here or even comment on the issue.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » September 16th, 2012, 5:07 pm

POLY-many
TICKS-bloodsuckers
POLITICS-many bloodsuckers.
I think our constitution should be amended so that each party gets only five years so that they could get equal time to thief.The problem is that they all do the same thing,but when one goes out of power,they start getting on like if we forgot what they did when they were there,and start playing innocent and fight to get back in power,both of them PNM and UNC.

brams112
punchin NOS

Postby brams112 » September 16th, 2012, 7:36 pm

rspann wrote:POLY-many
TICKS-bloodsuckers
POLITICS-many bloodsuckers.
I think our constitution should be amended so that each party gets only five years so that they could get equal time to thief.The problem is that they all do the same thing,but when one goes out of power,they start getting on like if we forgot what they did when they were there,and start playing innocent and fight to get back in power,both of them PNM and UNC.

This is so true oui,i could remember last time a party won,they told the other side allyuh was doing worst,dont complain,same story,when another party came now is the same story. :evil:

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » October 4th, 2012, 8:57 am

'Ish, Steve will go free'

Despite the repeal of the controversial Section 34 of the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act, Independent Senator Elton Prescott SC believes those who have made applications under the Act will still walk free.

His view is also shared by Opposition senator Faris al-Rawi.

Among the applicants for freedom are financiers of the United National Congress (UNC), Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson.

"It is my view that those applicants under the now repealed Section 34 are going to challenge the constitutionality of the repealed legislation and it is my view that they will do so successfully," said Prescott.

The normally reserved Prescott prefaced his comments by stating he was "not going to protect myself today."

He was speaking at a forum titled "Section 34: Dealing with the Issues" hosted by the Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social and Economic Studies (SALISES) at the University of the West Indies in St Augustine yesterday.

Panellists at the forum which became heated at times were Prescott, Al-Rawi, Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal and UWI lecturer Bishnu Ragoonath.

Other people and entities who have sought to have their corruption matters dismissed under Section 34 are former finance minister Brian Kuei Tung, Ameer Edoo, Maritime Life General Insurance Co Ltd executives John Henry Smith and Barbara Gomes; Maritime Finance; Northern Construction Ltd; Fidelity Finance Leasing Company Ltd; and former government ministers Carlos John and Russell Huggins.

Prescott said that the applicants would win in any court.

"The Court of Appeal will say it is repugnant to have introduced this repeal. These men have made an application under the old law, they will say it is unconstitutionally interfering with our powers, we are going to look at the application to discharge. And if the appeal should go further to the highest court they themselves might express the view that it is ad hominem legislation, it is retrospective, it is a regrettable incursion into the judicial sphere, it is unconstitutional, it undermines the separation of powers. We cannot uphold this piece of legislation," he stated.

"So back the applicants come five years later or three years later—we have won our cases in all of the courts—you cannot use this repealed legislation to take away the right that we have to have a trial, fair trial.And then the argument starts, can we have a fair trial?" he added.

Prescott, along with four other Independent Senators did not vote for the repeal of Section 34 in Parliament last month. The controversial section would have allowed accused persons with charges more than ten years old whose trial had not yet started to walk free.

"It is my view that we were doing the wrong thing and it is not going to stand scrutiny," he said of that decision.

Further, he pointed out that the amendment to the act did not say why the act was repealed.

"The law does not tell us what its purpose is," he noted.

"We had permitted a number of people to take advantage of the law who ought not to have been given that right and we were setting out to take away those rights," he observed.

Al-Rawi said: "The horse has bolted. The constitutionality of the repealed legislation is going to be challenged. There is risk of ad hominem (directed to the man) debate prevailing. It speaks to whether legislation is going to be held to be unconstitutional for running afoul of the separation of powers principle in telling the judiciary that it must do something. The important subset of that is whether you are directing a law to affect certain people only."

Al-Rawi said that during the Parliament debate, irresponsible statements were made by Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, the former minister of justice Herbert Volney and Sport Minister Anil Roberts. He said the did not adhere to the sub judice rule in the Parliament chambers and all spoke to a theory of exculcation and of a theory of conspiracy against certain gentlemen.

"Those very Hansard debates are going to be used by the courts of this land and elsewhere to argue that the repealing legislation is ad hominem cause it was designed to affect those people," he said.

Both Prescott and al Rawi disagreed with a statement made by acting President Timothy Hamel-Smith that the legislation was "flawed."

They agree that the law was a good law and in long in coming.

However, while Al-Rawi took issue with the early proclamation of the act against assurances given to the Opposition in Parliament, Prescott argued that it encroached on the rights of the judiciary.

He said it is the business of the court to interpret the law.

He explained that Section 34 gave the judge a right discharge an applicant and "judges would have judicial discretion".

Chief Whip Dr Roodal Moonilal said that he believed that the issue was migrating from an issue of governance to a competitive political issue. About the firing of the minister of justice, Moonilal said the issue of individual responsibility came before collective responsibility.

He said while errors have been made, the Government has acted responsibly in its handling of the matter.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/_Is ... 89991.html

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » October 4th, 2012, 11:42 am

is that primarily one party's members washing their hands?

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » October 4th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Nice. The party about to start. And ppl still believing the ag in spreading the blame

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 4th, 2012, 12:36 pm

rfari wrote:Nice. The party about to start. And ppl still believing the ag in spreading the blame

Metro B#2,(Banzai is # 1 :lol: ), yuh hadda be pretty facking dotish Opposition to support something with a promise from a bunch you cnnot trust as far as you can throw........

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » October 4th, 2012, 12:53 pm

De Dragon wrote:
rfari wrote:Nice. The party about to start. And ppl still believing the ag in spreading the blame

Metro B#2,(Banzai is # 1 :lol: ), yuh hadda be pretty facking dotish Opposition to support something with a promise from a bunch you cnnot trust as far as you can throw........

I'm insulted by that eh. Srs hurt feelings dey. :(
In hindsight, the decision for the opposition to support the government would look dumb but parliament wouldn't make much progress if both sides don't trust each other. If that's the case, important legislation can't get requisite majority and parliament would be a big dollyhouse session. What the pp administration has done is unprecedented but hopefully wouldn't be the norm. Now thinking about it, volney was on a suicide mission.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 4th, 2012, 3:34 pm

country might riot if they go free

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 4th, 2012, 3:34 pm

rfari wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

In hindsight, the decision for the opposition to support the government would look dumb but parliament wouldn't make much progress if both sides don't trust each other. If that's the case, important legislation can't get requisite majority and parliament would be a big dollyhouse session. What the pp administration has done is unprecedented but hopefully wouldn't be the norm. Now thinking about it, volney was on a suicide mission.

And a Bill with the implications that this one carried I would think you'd want to publicize the fact that you provisionally agreed to it. Call a press conference or something you know? Or is it that the Bill was pencil whipped all the way through?

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » October 4th, 2012, 3:42 pm

pugboy wrote:country might riot if they go free

Trinis? Riot? Hahahahahaha. Funny

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » October 4th, 2012, 3:54 pm

S_2NR wrote:
pugboy wrote:country might riot if they go free

Trinis? Riot? Hahahahahaha. Funny

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 4th, 2012, 3:59 pm

they just might if the seed is planted correctly

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » October 4th, 2012, 4:05 pm

De Dragon wrote:
rfari wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

And a Bill with the implications that this one carried I would think you'd want to publicize the fact that you provisionally agreed to it. Call a press conference or something you know? Or is it that the Bill was pencil whipped all the way through?

We on the same page. Many questions the pnm should raise that would identify all people culpable but for the moment they have pp lying and spreading misinformation. So far al wari doing a better job than rowley in this section 34 fiasco

rfari
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rfari » October 4th, 2012, 4:09 pm

pugboy wrote:they just might if the seed is planted correctly

It would just take one person to jump off and start somethin'. Trinidad fast approaching fertile grounds for anarchy

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 4th, 2012, 4:58 pm

rfari wrote:

It would just take one person to jump off and start somethin'. Trinidad fast approaching fertile grounds for anarchy

If the country were repopulated with people who gave enough of a fack! :roll:

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » October 4th, 2012, 6:30 pm

rfari wrote:

men upping the word-play ante in here, dred.

Apollo Trinidad
Sweet on this forum

Postby Apollo Trinidad » October 9th, 2012, 12:47 pm

politics will be politics

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”