Forums

PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ulquiorra.tt
Ricer

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby ulquiorra.tt » December 8th, 2020, 1:02 am

Anyone have experience with placing monitor only orders from Dell directly? Looking at what's being offered on this page:

https://www1.la.dell.com/content/topics ... l=en&s=dhs

The shipping is $30 USD after adding to cart, and the warranty looks good. If ordering this, it will ship via DHL direct to house and then there will be an additional 12.5% VAT to be paid to DHL upon delivery? Dell would include a proper invoice with it for customs calculation purposes correct?

Thanks.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » December 8th, 2020, 9:16 am

ulquiorra.tt wrote:Anyone have experience with placing monitor only orders from Dell directly? Looking at what's being offered on this page:

The shipping is $30 USD after adding to cart, and the warranty looks good. If ordering this, it will ship via DHL direct to house and then there will be an additional 12.5% VAT to be paid to DHL upon delivery? Dell would include a proper invoice with it for customs calculation purposes correct?

Thanks.

DHL is always on point, everything I ordered watercooling parts they taxes and duty were close to what I calculated. When the item reaches Trinidad, DHL will send you a text and email stating the amount to pay (customs duty and VAT)

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » December 8th, 2020, 9:27 am

kamakazi wrote:What triggered me was people selling individual parts and saying it is good for gaming. No one games on just a processor, or two sticks of memory.
A complete system is required to play games; board, CPU, memory, storage, GPU, various input and output devices.

I see some decent parts powered by AGILER. Good luck if you use these PSUs in your system. I see integrated Intel graphics being called mid range gaming. I think I saw a gaming rig being sold with the GPU removed. Is it still a gaming system then... Maybe, but only if it suits the games you play.

And by extension... Marketing putting gaming and enthusiast in front of everything being sold. What makes this keyboard a gaming keyboard; I play video games with it... That is all
What makes this gaming motherboard better for gaming... The fact that it has the word gaming written on it.
Fancy gaming cases with LEDfans that have little to no air flow(i'm thinking specifically about NZXT here but almost all of them have done something similar)

I understand that there is a game for almost every level of PC but some people are just a bit optimistic

Noticed this also, but not only locals doing it, some companies marketing it also

I feel sorry for parents due to streaming, PCs are becoming more popular and parents looking for Christmas gifts will easily be fooled by the "gamer tag"

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » December 8th, 2020, 10:48 pm

What could cause a laptop to not come on at all?

My friend's laptop sometimes does not respond for many days/weeks but if it comes on it works for a day. They carried it to a technician and they had to hard start it then changed a cmos battery but the day after it stopped responding. They carried it back and the technicians couldn't get it on this time.

So I decided to take it for a few days to check it out. It came on as soon as I came home. I had no problems with it the few days I had it, so I gave it back. Then two days later the same problem happened.

They decided to let a relative look at it. He opened it and removed the battery, still no luck getting it on. He came to the conclusion that it is the motherboard. He eventually got fed up with it and bought a new laptop.

I told him give me it to try to troubleshoot. I have it since Saturday. No issues. It is coming on every time and charging. I am on it right now :lol:

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 9th, 2020, 7:57 am

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:What could cause a laptop to not come on at all?

My friend's laptop sometimes does not respond for many days/weeks but if it comes on it works for a day. They carried it to a technician and they had to hard start it then changed a cmos battery but the day after it stopped responding. They carried it back and the technicians couldn't get it on this time.

So I decided to take it for a few days to check it out. It came on as soon as I came home. I had no problems with it the few days I had it, so I gave it back. Then two days later the same problem happened.

They decided to let a relative look at it. He opened it and removed the battery, still no luck getting it on. He came to the conclusion that it is the motherboard. He eventually got fed up with it and bought a new laptop.

I told him give me it to try to troubleshoot. I have it since Saturday. No issues. It is coming on every time and charging. I am on it right now
Faulty switch
Faulty switch connection
Faulty header connection
Faulty BIOS stack
Faulty bootloader controller

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » December 10th, 2020, 11:21 pm

adnj wrote:

I told him give me it to try to troubleshoot. I have it since Saturday. No issues. It is coming on every time and charging. I am on it right now
Faulty switch
Faulty switch connection
Faulty header connection
Faulty BIOS stack

If any of these are the case, can they be repaired?

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » December 11th, 2020, 2:06 am

Anyone have experience bringing in a pre-built system from someone like CyberpowerPC, Digital Storm, iBuyPower, NZXT etc?

I wonder how much shipping and handling would be with a skybox company.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 11th, 2020, 7:41 am

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:
adnj wrote:

Faulty switch
Faulty switch connection
Faulty header connection
Faulty BIOS stack

Yes, they can.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » December 11th, 2020, 10:19 am

teems1 wrote:Anyone have experience bringing in a pre-built system from someone like CyberpowerPC, Digital Storm, iBuyPower, NZXT etc?

use websource calculator it fairly accurate

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » December 11th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Spitfir3 wrote:
teems1 wrote:Anyone have experience bringing in a pre-built system from someone like CyberpowerPC, Digital Storm, iBuyPower, NZXT etc?

use websource calculator it fairly accurate

The weight is what I can't estimate since they don't give a value. I guess 50lbs.

To bring in a 1,500 USD computer which weighs 50lbs would cost close to 3,700 TTD

VAT and OPT is nearly 2,500 TTD.

It's cheaper to fly to New Jersey, Uber to a Microcenter, buy what you need, and fly back. That way you avoid OPT and VAT.

Bring in the case alone via skybox.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » December 11th, 2020, 6:34 pm

https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Xtr ... 938&sr=8-3
AmazonGlobal Shipping + TTD 1,600.70
Estimated Import Fees Deposit + TTD 1,697.85

thats what it is costing me to my door step. all fees paid, possibly a refund. when landed if customs bless up the package. will never be more.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » December 13th, 2020, 7:45 pm

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:
adnj wrote:

Faulty switch
Faulty switch connection
Faulty header connection
Faulty BIOS stack

faulty switch & faulty switch connection - resolution buy a new power switch

faulty header connection - resolution - resolder / reflow / replace the connector

Faulty BIOS stack - update the BIOS

not 100% sure what you mean by bootloader controller .....update UEFI ??

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 13th, 2020, 8:35 pm

skylinechild wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:
adnj wrote:

Faulty switch
Faulty switch connection
Faulty header connection
Faulty BIOS stack

faulty switch & faulty switch connection - resolution buy a new power switch

faulty header connection - resolution - resolder / reflow / replace the connector

Faulty BIOS stack - update the BIOS

not 100% sure what you mean by bootloader controller .....update UEFI ??
The bootloader controller is also called the BIOS chip.

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » December 14th, 2020, 4:35 am

[Update]

Saturday morning it wasn't turning on or charging then I rubbed my finger where the charger goes in and I heard something like a coil whine. It came on immediately after.

Sunday afternoon it refused to come on again so I tried the same thing I did Saturday, still nothing. I decided to press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds, still nothing. Left it for a 5 mins then returned to turn it on and it came on.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 15th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Google acquires CloudReady OS to make PCs Chromebooks - 9to5Google

Neverware lets you turn old PCs and Macs into Chromebook-esque devices through its CloudReady OS. While primarily aimed at schools and enterprises, a free “Home” edition for everyone is available. Google has now acquired Neverware and CloudReady with plans to integrate it with Chrome OS.

The news was quietly announced by Neverware on Monday afternoon. It comes after Google invested in a Series B funding round three years ago.

We’re pleased to share some very exciting news: Neverware and CloudReady are now officially part of Google and the Chrome OS team! We’re looking forward to sharing more details with all our CloudReady customers, users, and fans in the coming weeks and months, but for now, please review the following for answers to some of your anticipated questions:

Google has provided us with a statement confirming the acquisition:

We can confirm that the Neverware team is joining the Google Chrome OS team. As we continue to support customers with their transition to the cloud, Neverware has offered a valuable solution, CloudReady, that allows customers to unlock the manageability, speed, and productivity of a Chrome device. Following our partnership over the past few years, we’re looking forward to working more closely with the team to support more customers in their transition to deploy Chrome OS.

Neverware’s CloudReady OS is based on Chromium. As the latter part of the name suggests, it’s more than a forked browser, but rather a full operating system designed to replace Mac and Windows on older hardware that might no longer be getting official updates.

https://9to5google.com/2020/12/15/googl ... dy-os/amp/

ulquiorra.tt
Ricer

Postby ulquiorra.tt » December 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm

src1983 wrote:
ulquiorra.tt wrote:Anyone have experience with placing monitor only orders from Dell directly? Looking at what's being offered on this page:

Thanks.

DHL is always on point, everything I ordered watercooling parts they taxes and duty were close to what I calculated. When the item reaches Trinidad, DHL will send you a text and email stating the amount to pay (customs duty and VAT)

Thanks a lot.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » December 17th, 2020, 12:11 am

anyone have a type C 20v 65W laptop charger for sale
its for a lenovo

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » December 17th, 2020, 2:20 am

X_Factor wrote:anyone have a type C 20v 65W laptop charger for sale
its for a lenovo

those are fairly new...doubt u would find that here...check Wizz website

R_ali21
Riding on 13's

Postby R_ali21 » December 18th, 2020, 2:55 am

New here, not sure if this is the correct thread for this but, Does anyone know where I can get an AMD ryzen processor? Used or other wise. Looking for something like the r5 1600/2600/3600 or the r3 3100. Must have at least 8 threads.
Or where I can find a Intel core i7 7700?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 18th, 2020, 5:49 am

R_ali21 wrote:New here, not sure if this is the correct thread for this but, Does anyone know where I can get an AMD ryzen processor? Used or other wise. Looking for something like the r5 1600/2600/3600 or the r3 3100. Must have at least 8 threads.

check the miscellaneous section as well. new, u should get at wizz or supertech. wizz turning out to be our version of a micro center
viewforum.php?f=11

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » December 18th, 2020, 5:58 am

stev wrote:
its for a lenovo

Can also check direct point, they in cunupia, head better prices for chargers than wizz when I checked a month ago

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » December 18th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Kronik wrote:
stev wrote:
its for a lenovo

Can also check direct point, they in cunupia, head better prices for chargers than wizz when I checked a month ago

i forgot about them yes. lol

222-1744

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » December 24th, 2020, 6:14 pm

i called a place in san juan, they told me 500$ and i dont believe it was original
i ordered it on the 18th and got it today
cost less then 200 landed for a generic

Jonathan_337
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Jonathan_337 » January 1st, 2021, 5:50 pm

Anyone have DDR3 ram for sale? Need 16gb.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » January 2nd, 2021, 12:22 am

Jonathan_337 wrote:Anyone have DDR3 ram for sale? Need 16gb.

don't' have 16GB but I have 2 x 4GB sticks if u interested

two of these I believe:

https://www.amazon.com/Hynix-PC3-12800- ... B00A8M768E

they used but working (hopefully). u can have them for free, I'm not using them....PM me

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » January 4th, 2021, 4:06 pm

good day, have a little question, I currently have an Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard with 16gb ram, have my old geforce 680 graphics card on it as I dont game etc, currently have a Lg 2k 34" monitor but was looking to upgrade obviously to a bigger monitor and 4k, the question is would I definately need to upgrade this graphics card and if yes, recommendations (keeping in mind I dont game, just watch youtube, close up details on items web browsing etc) !

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 4th, 2021, 4:44 pm

This is going to be tricky without actually testing it.

On paper yes it is supported; your refresh rate will be limited over the older spec HDMI though. Not sure how different displays deal with the lower value refresh rate input.
Using displayport will give you 4k resolution at 60hz - see link below or look at the specification of the card on nvidia's website if the link doesn't work.

Can you say what is the resolution on your 2k display? (Eg. 1920x1080)

Edit: to get the best experience from your current GPU you will require a displayport to hdmi 4k adapter (HDMI 2.0) and an hdmi high speed cable

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/gr ... fications/

slickrick777 wrote:good day, have a little question, I currently have an Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard with 16gb ram, have my old geforce 680 graphics card on it as I dont game etc, currently have a Lg 2k 34" monitor but was looking to upgrade obviously to a bigger monitor and 4k, the question is would I definately need to upgrade this graphics card and if yes, recommendations (keeping in mind I dont game, just watch youtube, close up details on items web browsing etc) !

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » January 5th, 2021, 9:11 pm

buy one of those gt710 2gb gddr5. i had one rell decent ideal for a HTPC, plays well with windows 10, no power draw really 20w i think from pcie port, had a guy that had one for sale for 300$ used in south.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » January 6th, 2021, 1:08 am

sMASH wrote:
R_ali21 wrote:New here, not sure if this is the correct thread for this but, Does anyone know where I can get an AMD ryzen processor? Used or other wise. Looking for something like the r5 1600/2600/3600 or the r3 3100. Must have at least 8 threads.

check the miscellaneous section as well. new, u should get at wizz or supertech. wizz turning out to be our version of a micro center
viewforum.php?f=11
8,900 for a 2080 Super

7,100 for a 3070

All taxes have been taken off pc parts. Wizz are going to have a hard time competing.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » January 14th, 2021, 11:39 am

just leaving this here in case anyone interested

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=759411

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”