TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
maj. tom
punchin NOS
Posts: 4954
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: Zoo Station

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby maj. tom » September 14th, 2019, 5:03 pm

casper you sounding like if ppl fighting with you here.

Advertisement
User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10953
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Ted_v2 » September 14th, 2019, 6:53 pm

the trackball was excellent, i bought a logi in radio shack i believe, years ago. Was hard to go back to a regular mouse but that was years ago.

i using a k400 logitech wireless keyboard and touch pad, really good for my purpose, no cords, excellent battery life, touch-pad so i could be anywhere, off my table mat ect.

i using windows 10 right now, but ohgosh, this was the first time in a while using this for my personal pc, not impressed at all. windows 7 was and still is a great stable system.

User avatar
skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5555
Joined: January 13th, 2008, 11:38 pm
Location: In a Skyline

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby skylinechild » September 16th, 2019, 8:45 am

Ted_v2 wrote:the trackball was excellent, i bought a logi in radio shack i believe, years ago. Was hard to go back to a regular mouse but that was years ago.

i using a k400 logitech wireless keyboard and touch pad, really good for my purpose, no cords, excellent battery life, touch-pad so i could be anywhere, off my table mat ect.

i using windows 10 right now, but ohgosh, this was the first time in a while using this for my personal pc, not impressed at all. windows 7 was and still is a great stable system.



yuh still welcome to go back to windows 7 inno.... until jan 14 2020. :lol:

i could never understand ppl and their operating system addiction.

when 95 came out they said 3.XX was better

when 98 came out they said 95 was better

when window millennium came out they said 98 was better

when windows xp came out they said 98 was better

when vista came out they said XP was better ( ok true )

when 7 came out they said XP was better

when windows 10 came out they said 7 was better....

so what allyuh really want...linux.. ?? :lol:

User avatar
maj. tom
punchin NOS
Posts: 4954
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: Zoo Station

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby maj. tom » September 16th, 2019, 8:45 am

Windows 10 is better. Though the Windows App Store is a mess, don't even go in there.

User avatar
Spitfir3
punchin NOS
Posts: 3554
Joined: September 1st, 2009, 11:11 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Spitfir3 » September 16th, 2019, 10:02 am

windows 10 a lot more stable than win7 imo
that said once you get used to an OS is normal to feel awkward when you now switch, i was the same way until i got used to win10

kamakazi
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2117
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby kamakazi » September 16th, 2019, 11:25 am

skylinechild wrote:
Ted_v2 wrote:the trackball was excellent, i bought a logi in radio shack i believe, years ago. Was hard to go back to a regular mouse but that was years ago.

i using a k400 logitech wireless keyboard and touch pad, really good for my purpose, no cords, excellent battery life, touch-pad so i could be anywhere, off my table mat ect.

i using windows 10 right now, but ohgosh, this was the first time in a while using this for my personal pc, not impressed at all. windows 7 was and still is a great stable system.



yuh still welcome to go back to windows 7 inno.... until jan 14 2020.

i could never understand ppl and their operating system addiction.

when 95 came out they said 3.XX was better

when 98 came out they said 95 was better

when window millennium came out they said 98 was better

when windows xp came out they said 98 was better

when vista came out they said XP was better ( ok true )

when 7 came out they said XP was better

when windows 10 came out they said 7 was better....

so what allyuh really want...linux.. ??


I noticed in the long text that Mellenium was only mentioned once and it was never considered better than anything that came after it.... No mention of 98se... Lol

I haven't tried searching in win 10 after the latest update but search was horrible. I know the file on my computer, I even navigate to the folder it in, search results come up empty and end up having to look for the file manually.(edit. The file was found manually)

Just like most things, introduction of new technology brings the most bugs while what is already on the market for a while, has the benefit of updates, patches, fixes, etc.

I had to move to Win10 cause my upgrade doesn't officially support Win7.

Regarding stability, I'm almost to the point where if the machine OS is mature enough and you have enough resources to throw at it... Shouldn't see much crashes

Linux is pretty simple for people who don't do a whole lot, a lot simpler than I remember it being. If all you are planning to do is browse the internet, consume media, word, excel, etc. Give Ubuntu or any other user focused distro a try
Last edited by kamakazi on September 16th, 2019, 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10953
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Ted_v2 » September 16th, 2019, 9:48 pm

I had to move to Win10 cause my upgrade doesn't Win7 also.

Hear my 2c on my upgrade what i just did.
i upgraded from a fm2 quad core overclocked to 4.0ghz with a slightly larger cooler than stock and 8 gb of 1600 ram, had a samsung ssd and a mech 2tb drive.

i switched to a ryzen 1600x 3.8 with a gammamax 400 cooler, twin 120mm fans ect 16gb 3200ram and a small m.2 for my os as the board supported it. swapped over the samsung ssd and the mech 2tb.
had a 710GT 2gb msi in both.

right so now to my opinions,
boot speed is alot better, transfer speeds are better.
online browsing is what i do 99% of the time, youtube. I spend a couple hours watching videos. I honestly cant tell the diff, same speed same everything. I guess now im limited with my net speed?
i do editing of photos and have large albums, this is where the processor shines, i can actually see a notable faster and snappier task being done.
everything overall costed About 2400 for the upgrade.

Im still limited to my 2tb mechanical for my heavy lifting of my stuff, the m.2 i bought was a pretty small unit 120gb corsair force 300. If i could do it again, i would of gone with a larger m.2 and left out the the Samsung evo ssd as this is being underutilized in my system atm

however i plan to swap this samsung back into the older fm2 build once i get a decent case, im checking out those cheaper gaming cases at wizz and supertech, they look good for the money, as i used my old case.

User avatar
skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5555
Joined: January 13th, 2008, 11:38 pm
Location: In a Skyline

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby skylinechild » September 17th, 2019, 12:43 pm

kamakazi wrote:
skylinechild wrote:
Ted_v2 wrote:the trackball was excellent, i bought a logi in radio shack i believe, years ago. Was hard to go back to a regular mouse but that was years ago.

i using a k400 logitech wireless keyboard and touch pad, really good for my purpose, no cords, excellent battery life, touch-pad so i could be anywhere, off my table mat ect.

i using windows 10 right now, but ohgosh, this was the first time in a while using this for my personal pc, not impressed at all. windows 7 was and still is a great stable system.



yuh still welcome to go back to windows 7 inno.... until jan 14 2020.

i could never understand ppl and their operating system addiction.

when 95 came out they said 3.XX was better

when 98 came out they said 95 was better

when window millennium came out they said 98 was better

when windows xp came out they said 98 was better

when vista came out they said XP was better ( ok true )

when 7 came out they said XP was better

when windows 10 came out they said 7 was better....

so what allyuh really want...linux.. ??


I noticed in the long text that Mellenium was only mentioned once and it was never considered better than anything that came after it.... No mention of 98se... Lol

I haven't tried searching in win 10 after the latest update but search was horrible. I know the file on my computer, I even navigate to the folder it in, search results come up empty and end up having to look for the file manually.(edit. The file was found manually)

Just like most things, introduction of new technology brings the most bugs while what is already on the market for a while, has the benefit of updates, patches, fixes, etc.

I had to move to Win10 cause my upgrade doesn't officially support Win7.

Regarding stability, I'm almost to the point where if the machine OS is mature enough and you have enough resources to throw at it... Shouldn't see much crashes

Linux is pretty simple for people who don't do a whole lot, a lot simpler than I remember it being. If all you are planning to do is browse the internet, consume media, word, excel, etc. Give Ubuntu or any other user focused distro a try



windows me was only mentioned once - it was really considered an update to 98 with a bigger driver base than windows 98... plus alot more features.

however it was still 16 bit architecture

when i say windows 98- i mean windows 98Se- that was understood i would like to think.
and when i say windows 95 i mean windows 95b or OSR whatever it was called back then. :lol:

also if you REALLY noticed i left out windows 2000 / NT on the whole ... :lol:

WRT your searching.... i think you doing something wrong ... searching works perfectly for me....

kamakazi
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2117
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby kamakazi » September 17th, 2019, 8:30 pm

I did notice but didn't mention it (NT/2000) cause I believed these were focused on the server-side of things...Not as much for the everyday user.

I can't be the only person with these issues and a simple google search confirms that, with one of the later articles being in Aug 2019. Something about it is still fundamentally flawed. If you knew how quickly an old iMac G3 returns search results compared to Windows-based machines of today.

Happy search works for you. As mentioned haven't given it a try recently.

User avatar
skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5555
Joined: January 13th, 2008, 11:38 pm
Location: In a Skyline

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby skylinechild » September 18th, 2019, 12:22 pm

kamakazi wrote:I did notice but didn't mention it (NT/2000) cause I believed these were focused on the server-side of things...Not as much for the everyday user.

I can't be the only person with these issues and a simple google search confirms that, with one of the later articles being in Aug 2019. Something about it is still fundamentally flawed. If you knew how quickly an old iMac G3 returns search results compared to Windows-based machines of today.

Happy search works for you. As mentioned haven't given it a try recently.


how do you search thou....?

i click on cortana and type in the name of what i looking for ....it narrows down my results the more i type.

so say i looking for an excel sheet with the name bobs projected expenditure..... i just type in bob and it brings back all the results.....with bob....

User avatar
maj. tom
punchin NOS
Posts: 4954
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: Zoo Station

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby maj. tom » September 18th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Reset and Rebuild your search index in Windows 10 with this batch file and run as admin.

Code: Select all

@echo off
net stop wsearch
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search" /v SetupCompletedSuccessfully /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
del "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb"
:wsearch
net start wsearch
IF NOT %ERRORLEVEL%==0 (goto :wsearch) ELSE goto :END
:END

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/585 ... -10-a.html

kamakazi
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2117
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby kamakazi » September 18th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Indexing is turned off, but that shouldn't be the reason files can't be found. (Might make it slower)

I just type in the search bar located near the top right hand corner of the explorer window when browsing the folder in which the file is located.

I've also used that search bar below... Nada in some instances

Cortana is also turned off.

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10953
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Ted_v2 » September 19th, 2019, 8:10 am

So I'm stuck on what psu to get. Horrible reviews on most new stuff on amazon, local stuff have plenty bad reviews of stuff stop working after 1 Yr ect. What you all think? I need something like a 600w 80+. Wizz have evga and gigabyte.

Thermaltake have issues with the pins burning the gpu Jack. The smart ones have issues too. Well at least that's what the reviews say.

Grr.

User avatar
Spitfir3
punchin NOS
Posts: 3554
Joined: September 1st, 2009, 11:11 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Spitfir3 » September 19th, 2019, 10:31 am

Ted_v2 wrote:So I'm stuck on what psu to get. Horrible reviews on most new stuff on amazon, local stuff have plenty bad reviews of stuff stop working after 1 Yr ect. What you all think? I need something like a 600w 80+. Wizz have evga and gigabyte.

Thermaltake have issues with the pins burning the gpu Jack. The smart ones have issues too. Well at least that's what the reviews say.

Grr.


doh over think it, lookin over your specs you don't need anything over the top
something to note a lot of these companies don't actually make their own powersupplys they just rebrand them

Seasonic makes their own,FSP manufacturers for a lot of OEM's im not sure about now but years ago Superflower made powersupplies for evga and those were highly regarded

if you wanna go all out no compromises
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-650 ... 243&sr=1-1

a review from the powersupply "elitist"
http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2017/08/2 ... er-supply/
Last edited by Spitfir3 on September 19th, 2019, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1435
Joined: September 24th, 2004, 7:31 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby dean_spleen09 » September 19th, 2019, 10:45 am

looking for a power supply/case as well. looking like the evga from wizz so far.

User avatar
casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5040
Joined: April 18th, 2006, 11:44 am
Location: P.O.S & Diego Martin

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby casper » September 19th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:So I'm stuck on what psu to get. Horrible reviews on most new stuff on amazon, local stuff have plenty bad reviews of stuff stop working after 1 Yr ect. What you all think? I need something like a 600w 80+. Wizz have evga and gigabyte.

Thermaltake have issues with the pins burning the gpu Jack. The smart ones have issues too. Well at least that's what the reviews say.

Grr.
I have an evga 750w g3 from wiz it's the gold series line from them....fully modular...works great

User avatar
skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5555
Joined: January 13th, 2008, 11:38 pm
Location: In a Skyline

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby skylinechild » September 19th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:So I'm stuck on what psu to get. Horrible reviews on most new stuff on amazon, local stuff have plenty bad reviews of stuff stop working after 1 Yr ect. What you all think? I need something like a 600w 80+. Wizz have evga and gigabyte.

Thermaltake have issues with the pins burning the gpu Jack. The smart ones have issues too. Well at least that's what the reviews say.

Grr.


if u dont like evga & gigabyte check out antec

good solid units

https://antec.com/product/power-80plus.php

Phone Surgeon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12938
Joined: October 11th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Phone Surgeon » September 20th, 2019, 3:31 pm

so i have my lil 5 year old pc here

what upgrade I could do to get it a lil faster? running a bit shitty the last few months

OS is on a 250gb ssd


HDD Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device
Monitor ID ACI23F9: Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]
Monitor Model ASUS VH238
Motherboard 63-0100-000001-00101111-051315-Chipset$0AAAA000_BIOS DATE: 12/17/15 13:48:55 VER: VA.60
Motherboard DMIMOBO: MSI Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971)
Motherboard DMISYS: MSI MS-7971
Motherboard Unknown
Partitions:
C: (NTFS) [ TRIAL VERSION ]
D: (NTFS) 1863.0 GB (128.3 GB free)
Total Size [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative Audigy 2 / Audigy 4 Audio Processor
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [10DE-0FBC] [NoDB]
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [8086-A170] [NoDB]

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4095 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4095 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4095 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4095 MB)
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (B4LMIZ025689)
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (BALMIB548432)
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (BALMIB548449)

Motherboard:
CPU Type 2x , 3300 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type AMI (05/13/15)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port USB Serial Port (COM242)
Communication Port USB Serial Port (COM589)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)
Communication Port Brother MFC-L2707DW
Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 6.1.7601

Phone Surgeon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12938
Joined: October 11th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Phone Surgeon » September 20th, 2019, 3:37 pm

windows 7 ultimate.jpg
windows 7 ultimate.jpg (7.18 KiB) Viewed 454 times


not sure why its saying vista in everest report

User avatar
dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1435
Joined: September 24th, 2004, 7:31 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby dean_spleen09 » September 20th, 2019, 4:17 pm

depends on ur budget and what you wanna do with it (game or office work ?)

User avatar
ismithx
punchin NOS
Posts: 4274
Joined: August 12th, 2010, 11:46 am
Location: riding till the wheels fall off

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby ismithx » September 20th, 2019, 4:18 pm

CPU and GPU upgrades would be nice, that should hold you

Phone Surgeon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12938
Joined: October 11th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Phone Surgeon » September 20th, 2019, 4:22 pm

its "office" work

i have 3 monitors hooked up this pc
one i usually have running netflix
other 2 i use for work

i dont really game except occasionally logging into runescape to see whats the scene

i just find the pc start to move slow in the last few months

from normally taking a 15-20 seconds to completely turn on, to now taking 3-5 minutes to boot up

i now run cc cleaner and delete 8gb of stuff

User avatar
dean_spleen09
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1435
Joined: September 24th, 2004, 7:31 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby dean_spleen09 » September 20th, 2019, 6:03 pm

and how much you looking to spend on that upgrade ?

kamakazi
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2117
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby kamakazi » September 20th, 2019, 7:33 pm

That doesn't really require and upgrade. Check your hardware first... Namely the hard drive.
I suggest running Crystaldiskinfo to look at the health of the HDD/SSD

Please also run resource monitor and observe the graphs after booting to help in deciding what your upgrade should be.

Memory; If memory usage is pretty high, and there are a lot of hard faults (if I remember correctly that should be DDR 4)

CPU (and possibly a platform upgrade) if usage is pretty high (also look to see if there is a culprit chewing up your resources running who knows what in the background)

Hdd/SSD if they are failing or you need more storage space.

GPU if your games are seeing trouble

Phone Surgeon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12938
Joined: October 11th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Phone Surgeon » September 20th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Oh for real you had build this pc for me ent kamakazi?

kamakazi
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2117
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:32 am

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby kamakazi » September 20th, 2019, 8:28 pm

I give advice freely.
Might have made contact in the past and I might have helped you out; don't remember putting a system together though.

Phone Surgeon
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 12938
Joined: October 11th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Phone Surgeon » September 21st, 2019, 6:31 am

Someone here on tuner had build this system for.me. cant remember who.

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 10953
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Ted_v2 » September 21st, 2019, 6:49 am

prob chiney

User avatar
skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5555
Joined: January 13th, 2008, 11:38 pm
Location: In a Skyline

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby skylinechild » September 21st, 2019, 8:30 am

kamakazi wrote:That doesn't really require and upgrade. Check your hardware first... Namely the hard drive.
I suggest running Crystaldiskinfo to look at the health of the HDD/SSD

Please also run resource monitor and observe the graphs after booting to help in deciding what your upgrade should be.

Memory; If memory usage is pretty high, and there are a lot of hard faults (if I remember correctly that should be DDR 4)

CPU (and possibly a platform upgrade) if usage is pretty high (also look to see if there is a culprit chewing up your resources running who knows what in the background)

Hdd/SSD if they are failing or you need more storage space.

GPU if your games are seeing trouble



part in red is what i recommend to look at first.

CPU upgrade is good idea ...more RAM is also a good idea.... do a BIOS update for compatibility / stability....
if you purchased windows 7 ultimate you can go up to windows 10 pro for free.

for those who think adding RAM is not necessary

RAM is like a big table (think of it like a huge counter surface)
more RAM you have the more stuff you can place on the counter to work on.

think of it like this - if you have a small kitchen counter at home and you want to chop veggies you gotta clear the counter first - remove the veggies from packaging then discard packaging then come bk to counter nd chop veggies then put veggies in a bowl to save space then go on to get something else to chop.

whereas if you have big counter - you just put everything aside and chop ... :lol:

how RAM actually works is as working space.

stuff is stored in the hard drive.
so lets say you need to type a document.
you start word
the cpu accesses the program word on your hard drive and makes a copy and puts it in working memory
you type your stuff and you can edit etc
if you decide to save it - the cpu then asks where in the hard drive you want to save it and saves it
or if not save - it closes off the software - any changes made are lost and the program exits working memory.

imagine if you have multiple programs running - including the biggest one of them all - the O.S.

i will get a screenshot of a customer laptop i fixed.
resource monitor barely registers any use
laptop is fast and reliable.
customer just needs a replacement battery for the laptop.

User avatar
iM@st@1
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 973
Joined: July 18th, 2008, 5:03 pm
Location: St. Augustine

Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby iM@st@1 » September 23rd, 2019, 9:02 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Someone here on tuner had build this system for.me. cant remember who.


If is this that was me

Image

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: death365, pugboy, snatman, thelem-again, tr1ad, VexXx Dogg, VII and 77 guests