Forums

Chip & PIN Credit Cards

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

neilsingh100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Chip & PIN Credit Cards

Postby neilsingh100 » October 9th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Got a letter from RBL that they moving to Chip and PIN credit card so now you no longer have to sign a receipt at a merchant terminal but enter a PIN.

The cards now come with a chip as well as magnetic stripe so you can use at merchants without the new terminals.

Anyone have experience using these new credit cards in T&T?

http://www.republictt.com/pdfs/Chip-Car ... Inside.pdf
http://www.republictt.com/pdfs/Chip-Car ... utside.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_and_PIN

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Chip & PIN Credit Cards

Postby crazychinee » October 9th, 2010, 9:54 pm

You real late.
Go in the bank and apply for the new one.

brams112
punchin NOS

Postby brams112 » October 9th, 2010, 9:55 pm

cards are not out yet mamoo,but did you read the instructions for use carefully?

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sharkman121 » October 9th, 2010, 9:58 pm

ppl does still bank wid republic

*Nebula*
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby *Nebula* » October 9th, 2010, 10:05 pm

a new and improved credit card...

rossi
punchin NOS

Postby rossi » October 10th, 2010, 10:59 am

RBTT is better than Republic.

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » October 10th, 2010, 11:46 am

sharkman121 wrote:ppl does still bank wid republic

what? they are way better than RBTT.

Mitsubishi Maniac
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Mitsubishi Maniac » October 10th, 2010, 1:19 pm

X 2...........Waste of time bank.Waste of time employees,who garden it fall in,rock so!

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » October 10th, 2010, 2:37 pm

so, i read the lit they sent to me regarding this, they said that it will take awhile for all POS terminals to become updated to be able to read the chip on the cards...HOWEVER, to ensure compatibility, the cards will also carry the magnetic stripe

so, if the PIN and CHIP supposed to be so much safer.....why the hell wud u put a stripe on the card as well which defeats the purpose of the whole thing.......waste of time IMO

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » October 10th, 2010, 3:39 pm

bushwakka wrote:so, i read the lit they sent to me regarding this, they said that it will take awhile for all POS terminals to become updated to be able to read the chip on the cards...HOWEVER, to ensure compatibility, the cards will also carry the magnetic stripe

so, if the PIN and CHIP supposed to be so much safer.....why the hell wud u put a stripe on the card as well which defeats the purpose of the whole thing.......waste of time IMO

You want to be the jackass that travels abroad to a non chip and pin merchant and have to walk out without your items because you doh have a strip?

For people like me who have been victims of CC fraud, it's a good step.

AllTrac wrote:

what? they are way better than RBTT.

I dont think any other bank except Republic posts payments to your credit card instantly...most make you wait 24 hours or longer.

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » October 10th, 2010, 4:22 pm

chip and pin is being used all over the world..is about time they introduce this here

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » October 10th, 2010, 5:46 pm

the machine still can read the strip.

I think the Chip card takes longer to process. Slightly annoying especially when you walk into a store and the retarded cashier doesnt know how to use it correctly and has to pull out a damn step by step color by numbers instruction sheet.

biggy82
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby biggy82 » October 10th, 2010, 6:36 pm

seen chip and PIN work in the UK.....much faster than normal CC swipe and sign

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » October 10th, 2010, 7:50 pm

you could choose any method... either chip and PIN, or swipe and sign... the latter won't be replaced.

SmokeyGTi
punchin NOS

Postby SmokeyGTi » October 11th, 2010, 8:01 am

rossi wrote:RBTT is better than Republic.

===> moved to stale jokes thread.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » October 11th, 2010, 11:04 am

Both bank are sheit with no understanding of the fact that ppl can board planes when they want without having to let them know. Citibank FTMFW!!!

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » October 11th, 2010, 11:38 am

crazychinee wrote:
bushwakka wrote:so, i read the lit they sent to me regarding this, they said that it will take awhile for all POS terminals to become updated to be able to read the chip on the cards...HOWEVER, to ensure compatibility, the cards will also carry the magnetic stripe

You want to be the jackass that travels abroad to a non chip and pin merchant and have to walk out without your items because you doh have a strip?

yuh totally miss the point u jackass.......

the question i am asking is 'why the firetruck wud u put a lower security technology along with a high security technology on the same freaking card when both of them can be used to the same effect

if yuh dumb kant still can't get it.......I'm a thief....i want to use ur card, do i have to enter the PIN and use the smart chip? NO!........swipe the friggin magneto-stripe and use that instead!

AlliDr
3NE 2NR for life

Postby AlliDr » October 11th, 2010, 12:10 pm

^^the debit card I have, when you make a purchase, you just swipe & sign (no pin required), your name is on the card so ID can be requested, but no one has ever asked to see mine (except for in the US). The pin is only for using an ATM - but the point bushwakka makes is a valid one, depending on the security features, because anyone can use your card otherwise, their is little to prevent them from doing so.
Last edited by AlliDr on October 11th, 2010, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DRAGULA
3NE 2NR for life

Postby DRAGULA » October 11th, 2010, 12:21 pm

if the chip cards are coming with a strip, then the only advantage I can see is that the card becomes more universally accepted..........there were a few places in Europe where we had to use cash as we couldn't use the swipe. Also, people looked at us funny when we told them they had to swipe the card.....as if they couldn't believe that swipe cards still existed!!

AlliDr
3NE 2NR for life

Postby AlliDr » October 11th, 2010, 12:29 pm

DRAGULA wrote:if the chip cards are coming with a strip, then the only advantage I can see is that the card becomes more universally accepted..........there were a few places in Europe where we had to use cash as we couldn't use the swipe. Also, people looked at us funny when we told them they had to swipe the card.....as if they couldn't believe that swipe cards still existed!!

http://www.consumertraveler.com/columns ... ncreasing/

In Europe, their credit cards use EMV chips (integrated circuits) embedded in the credit card which require the cardholder to input their “Pin” (multiple digit number) into the merchant’s credit card machine to validate the use of the card, whereas in the US they use magnetic stripe technology, where you have swipe and enter your "Pin" to validate the debit card.

So the local banks may be trying to accommodate both options.

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » October 11th, 2010, 4:39 pm

bushwakka wrote:
crazychinee wrote:

yuh totally miss the point u jackass.......

the question i am asking is 'why the firetruck wud u put a lower security technology along with a high security technology on the same freaking card when both of them can be used to the same effect

if yuh dumb kant still can't get it.......I'm a thief....i want to use ur card, do i have to enter the PIN and use the smart chip? NO!........swipe the friggin magneto-stripe and use that instead!

Well take a chip and pin card without a magnetic strip and go to the US . Your ass will be starving from the moment you even step on the plane as I'm sure american airlines doesn't even have chip and pin machines(and neither do most US merchants).

Swipe my magneto strip?
well.. First off you need to steal my card without me knowing.
Secondly all merchants are supposed to request a form of ID , and I'm not sure about here but cameras over the cashiers in the uk/us capture this part of the sale for situations like this.
In any event I'm not liable for any of the fraudulant transactions, and chances are a camera would of caught you using my card anyway.

Then again..do you even HAVE a credit card?
Prepaid cards dont count.

bushwakka
punchin NOS

Postby bushwakka » October 11th, 2010, 5:57 pm

crazychinee wrote:
Then again..do you even HAVE a credit card?
Prepaid cards dont count.

ur retaliation is really a penis size competition? and YOU a chinee at that???!!!

wont bother nex time :lol: :lol: :lol:

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 2nd, 2023, 2:17 pm

https://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=320922&p=10352735#p10352726

Postby dogg » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:47 pm

So my Credit card was compromised over the weekend.
It's a chip card, I though those things were harder to copy??

Thing is I always swipe my cards myself, I never let vendors do it themselves. The only place I could imagine it being skimmed at was at a card-taking gas pump.

Oh well.

Now I dunno where or what safe. Thankfully the amount was insignificant, probably a test to see if it would work.

Anyone had their card skimmed recently?

Where still making you swipe the magnetic strip? Then there would be a secondary device to capture your pin like a fake PIN pad. That place is where it happened. It was the gas station. A next trick some places use if they're in on it is say that "the chip machine not working" and force you to swipe.

The chip on the card is very encrypted with ISO7816-15 (likely AES-256) and you have to have the token (the card with the unique chip) and the private key (your pin) and then a machine to generate a symmetric request to the bank that will also be unique based on your purchase. This method is a bit very much unlikely the way you were skimmed but I'm sure hackers will soon figure it out.

==UPDATE==

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 2nd, 2023, 2:18 pm

==UPDATE==
TLDR: Chips cards are still very safe and still cannot be cloned, but hackers found a way around called shimming. They copy the chip data and transfer it to a swipe card. See previous thread linked above where I said that manipulation involves swipe machines, not the insert chip machines.

Beware ‘shimming’ using chip cards

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/beware-shimming-using-chip-cards/article_b4167c6a-00e5-11ee-a34a-cb944ec9af21.html

FRAUD Squad officers have issued a warning to citizens that their new wireless cards are susceptible to a new type of card fraud known as “shimming”.

“You may think that an EMV card is safe, but we all know how technology works. Every year there are advancements, and it’s a fraudster’s job, if you will, to advance, too, and counteract that. So they will always look for a way to counteract any advancement to security.

“However, the chip’s complexity far exceeds the magnetic stripes. When a chip-enabled card is inserted into a chip-reading terminal and the cardholder enters his pin, it generates a unique authorisation code which can only be used once. So every time that chip is used, it generates a unique code. Never repeated. So these new EMV cards cannot be cloned at this time, however, fraudsters are utilising a method by which they would engage in something called card shimming. So we went from skimming to shimming.

“They can encode the user information from the chip, and using this information, they can encode it into a separate magnetic stripe card. So the fraudster will now go to retailers that still allow magnetic stripe card use and try to use your information on these cloned cards.

So it’s crucial for retailers to be on the lookout for the stripe cards. Especially if persons are insisting that only the stripe is working,” Nowbutt warned.

https://archive.is/DccdP

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”