Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

striver
Street 2NR

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby striver » August 8th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Hello wats the cost to have a decking done 15' long by 20' wide and abt 10' high

The Raven
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Raven » August 9th, 2015, 7:13 am

York wrote:$40k is a good price pal. 50x60 is like 2 houses in one. you should consider from those masons or contractors the price to plaster and install the door frames and windows (steel) / plaster window pockets for sliding type. the cost for plastering should be same as that to block up.

so for that size $80k is a good price.

York,
thanks for the feed back. I just wanted to know that i was not being rob. So its a good price for the block up for the up stairs? thats just blocking up and not plastering. Its with ring beam...I feel much more comfortable now if thats the average price.
Thanks.

GRIM
Sweet on this forum

Postby GRIM » August 9th, 2015, 1:27 pm

wtk the cost (labour and material) per sq. foot for terrazzo floor.

The Raven
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Raven » August 9th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Always like that^ but not seeing it done as much.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 10th, 2015, 12:30 am

GRIM wrote:wtk the cost (labour and material) per sq. foot for terrazzo floor.

might be $25 -$30 per sq ft.

Porcelain tiles may be equal or less than terrazzo but you need to have the floor plastered / screeded flat and the tile men have to be really good. Screeding not necessary for terrazzo.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 10th, 2015, 12:50 am

The Raven wrote:
York wrote:$40k is a good price pal. 50x60 is like 2 houses in one. you should consider from those masons or contractors the price to plaster and install the door frames and windows (steel) / plaster window pockets for sliding type. the cost for plastering should be same as that to block up.

so for that size $80k is a good price.

York,
thanks for the feed back. I just wanted to know that i was not being rob. So its a good price for the block up for the up stairs? thats just blocking up and not plastering. Its with ring beam...I feel much more comfortable now if thats the average price.
Thanks.

really it depends on the number of blocks. ask the contractor for the material list. In the meantime try to get another quote or when you get the number of blocks, ask other contractors for a price based on that number. Labour and material might be about $150-$160k for blockwork and plastering if you using masons with your supply of material. Contractors will charge about $200k.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 10th, 2015, 12:59 am

quietdevil wrote:
York wrote:I don't play with Lego but if you do, it's not helping your comprehension skills. A simple question was asked.

You said you used it so just wanted a little more details as to the framing material and economical use of the board. Does the framing material have to be used in the top and everywhere the board is joined?

Sorry did not realise my comprehension skills match your construction skills.

Any joints need to be reinforced with internal framing. also you place intermediate framing depending on the thickness of the board. I used 3/8" sheets and reinforced at 4' centres. Its just like doing a gypsum ceiling except the board is more rigid. I then had the gypsum guys mud and sand the wall. Cheaper than sand/cement render and smoother finish. Price the board and framing labour is 1/2 based on experience. you can only put up so many blocks to build a wall to prevent the lowest row from moving. you don't have that limitation with the concrete board. take a walk through any new private housing development doing townhouses or duplexes for sale and you will see the finished product.
skipping the pleasantries...my point was that aluminum material is very expensive. Are those walls, single or double sheeted? do they match the width of aluminium door frames? otherwise how are the doors installed? where are the sheets and framing sold?

GRIM
Sweet on this forum

Postby GRIM » August 10th, 2015, 4:35 pm

York wrote:
GRIM wrote:wtk the cost (labour and material) per sq. foot for terrazzo floor.

might be $25 -$30 per sq ft.

Porcelain tiles may be equal or less than terrazzo but you need to have the floor plastered / screeded flat and the tile men have to be really good. Screeding not necessary for terrazzo.

i ent want to use tile as i thinkin bout doin it in my garage

now approximately how many 4'' red brick can be laid with 1 bag of cement?

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » August 11th, 2015, 8:41 am

with regards to a builders estimate how much do u think will be the cost for 1465sqft of space upstairs only

The Raven
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Raven » August 11th, 2015, 10:05 pm

York 200k sound a lot to block up and plaster an upstairs 40x50.
Hope ists not that much.

subie_2NR
3NE 2NR for life

Postby subie_2NR » August 12th, 2015, 6:47 am

My house is 32x40 upstairs and downstairs it cost $55k to block up to ring beam and I was given a rough estimate of $40k to plaster. This is labor alone.

That $200k is a lot even if it's with material I think it shouldn't cross $150 given that size

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 12th, 2015, 7:16 am

quick question, I was given a estimate of 3500$ to weld and fabricate a shed 30x16. Post already planted. guttering needs to be installed with that figure.

that's good? dunno have no idea

GRIM
Sweet on this forum

Postby GRIM » August 12th, 2015, 9:17 am

subie_2NR wrote:My house is 32x40 upstairs and downstairs it cost $55k to block up to ring beam and I was given a rough estimate of $40k to plaster. This is labor alone.

That $200k is a lot even if it's with material I think it shouldn't cross $150 given that size

how may blocks was used and how many bags of cement, only for laying of blocks no ring beam.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 11:02 am

subie_2NR wrote:My house is 32x40 upstairs and downstairs it cost $55k to block up to ring beam and I was given a rough estimate of $40k to plaster. This is labor alone.

which is what i said, $150-$160k if you supply material and manage labour. $200k is what a "contractor" would charge because he would have to make a profit for taking the risk and managing the labour and material on site. the contractor would be responsible to supply the material as well. it's called a "turn-key" job / contract.

the client benefits from having a fixed price and no overruns, possibly a signed contract as well. all for $40k more. the client can choose...pay the $$ or take the headache. many ppl dont have the technical know-how, neither the time, energy, etc...

subie_2NR
3NE 2NR for life

Postby subie_2NR » August 12th, 2015, 11:05 am

GRIM wrote:

how may blocks was used and how many bags of cement, only for laying of blocks no ring beam.

Blocks used was 1 load and 7 pallets which is approx. 5300 blocks can't give you the amount of cement used.

subie_2NR
3NE 2NR for life

Postby subie_2NR » August 12th, 2015, 11:13 am

York wrote:

which is what i said, $150-$160k if you supply material and manage labour. $200k is what a "contractor" would charge because he would have to make a profit for taking the risk and managing the labour and material on site. the contractor would be responsible to supply the material as well. it's called a "turn-key" job / contract.

the client benefits from having a fixed price and no overruns, possibly a signed contract as well. all for $40k more. the client can choose...pay the $$ or take the headache. many ppl dont have the technical know-how, neither the time, energy, etc...

I took the labor contract from the builder but I supplied the material based on his material listing. But 40k is a lot of money to just "give" a contractor. Most of the time the material required is less than what the contractor states, so it's better off you handle that in your own.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 11:28 am

subie_2NR wrote:
GRIM wrote:

Blocks used was 1 load and 7 pallets which is approx. 5300 blocks can't give you the amount of cement used.

A pallet of ABEL blocks is just over 300. the total number looks good though.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 11:31 am

Ted_v2 wrote:quick question, I was given a estimate of 3500$ to weld and fabricate a shed 30x16. Post already planted. guttering needs to be installed with that figure.

that's good? dunno have no idea

wont get any less...

subie_2NR
3NE 2NR for life

Postby subie_2NR » August 12th, 2015, 11:34 am

312 in a pallet from Abel to be exact

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 11:36 am

subie_2NR wrote:312 in a pallet from Abel to be exact

yes that's it thanks. so basically you paid $10 per block. this is a good rate to estimate for anyone, plus or minus...because some have more bathrooms and closets which means more walls per sq ft.

The Raven
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Raven » August 12th, 2015, 1:27 pm

So I guess 40k labour for blocking up and ring beam on a 40x50 is good.
Thanks guys.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 2:09 pm

The Raven wrote:So I guess 40k labour for blocking up and ring beam on a 40x50 is good.
Thanks guys.

As it's an upstairs yes, clarify about supply if scaffolding and time taken to complete. If you supply and builder delays, it will cost you. Also, casting the corners and tees where the walls meet and steel tied beam for the ring beam. Many do shorthand and just put a couple of 1/2" steel instead of a proper beam with 4 bars. Cause you may not see or be there when they cast it.

The Raven
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Raven » August 12th, 2015, 4:02 pm

Ok, good points. I know they are looking yo use the big blocks and fill with concrete and put steel, will verify 4 steel is use. How much stell is used on the ring beam?

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 4:29 pm

The Raven wrote:Ok, good points. I know they are looking yo use the big blocks and fill with concrete and put steel, will verify 4 steel is use. How much stell is used on the ring beam?

Let them use the clay blocks 4x8x16" vertical core for the corners and fill with concrete and steel. Clay has more space for concrete than concrete 4" blocks. Ring beam four 1/2" with 3/8" stirrups.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 12th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Don't use 4 inch wide blocks for structural purposes. There are 6 inch wide vertical core clay blocks. Use those in areas where you intend to place steel (12mm diameter high tensile (ribbed) bars) and concrete (3000psi @ 28 days cylinder strength) in the cores.

Don't forget to put horizontal reinforcement in every three rows of blocks.

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 5:14 pm

That's 2 1/4" steel bars laid on the horizontal row of blocks every 3 block height.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » August 12th, 2015, 6:58 pm

York wrote:That's 2 1/4" steel bars laid on the horizontal row of blocks every 3 block height.

That could work, but what I have seen is that, depending on the skill of the mason, the bars get displaced from their correct position and end up out of the mortar bed. They therefore end up serving no purpose.

I prefer to use Brickforce horizontal reinforcement where there are cross bars which keep the main longitudinal reinforcement in the correct position in the mortar bed.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » August 12th, 2015, 7:48 pm

What do these horizontal bars tie into at the end/corners of the wall?

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 8:16 pm

NR8 wrote:What do these horizontal bars tie into at the end/corners of the wall?

the steel / concrete coming out of the floor, 1/2"

York
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby York » August 12th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
York wrote:That's 2 1/4" steel bars laid on the horizontal row of blocks every 3 block height.

That could work, but what I have seen is that, depending on the skill of the mason, the bars get displaced from their correct position and end up out of the mortar bed. They therefore end up serving no purpose.

I prefer to use Brickforce horizontal reinforcement where there are cross bars which keep the main longitudinal reinforcement in the correct position in the mortar bed.
who sells these locally? might be expensive...

it's would be hard to not get mortar between horizontal core clay blocks. To miss the mortar the steel would have to go out of the block, extruding outside.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”