Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Kenjo » September 30th, 2019, 7:22 am

Yes it’s a very old house but it has the 3 wires coming in. Getting an electrician to come in this week to let me know what can be done but not worth rewiring the house . Anyone has an idea where to get these generators.... or the specs at least ?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 30th, 2019, 7:27 am

Generators are rated by kv
2000 are common portable ones you can lift with handle

5000 and up are a bit noticeably bigger and on wheels

You need at least 7-8000 to weld
Pricesmart sometimes has that size

Kenjo wrote:Image

Yes it’s a very old house but it has the 3 wires coming in. Getting an electrician to come in this week to let me know what can be done but not worth rewiring the house . Anyone has an idea where to get these generators.... or the specs at least ?

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » September 30th, 2019, 8:30 am

pugboy wrote:Generators are rated by kv
2000 are common portable ones you can lift with handle

5000 and up are a bit noticeably bigger and on wheels

You need at least 7-8000 to weld
Pricesmart sometimes has that size

Just to give an average of the prices for generators in Pricesmart, I passed yesterday and noticed a 5000 diesel one for about $4100, so that should give you an average up work with, and that's the one with wheels that you can move around with

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 30th, 2019, 9:04 am

Thanks for the pic.

You have a 115/230V 60A 3-wire single-phase supply. You can install a 230V 50A welding receptacle. You will be at the limit for electrical supply so anything more than a few lights and a fan turned on while you are welding will likely trip the main breaker.

Install a 50A 2-gang switch to control the outlet. If you mount the outlet within easy reach of the panel, you could rely on the breaker in an emergency and the switch can be omitted.

Welding outlet 3-wire diagram.

2-gang switch with pilot light. This is similar to the switch used for a shower heater but check the rating to be sure. Most shower heater switches are rated to 30A, not 50A.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 30th, 2019, 3:23 pm

i looking for some ideas to build a bridge over a pond.

about 25 feet across

any suggestions?
Attachments
bridge-over-koi-pond-bill-cannon.jpg
beautiful-landscape-picture-small-wooden-bridge-over-pond-japanese-garden-reflection-water-121429094.jpg

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 30th, 2019, 4:00 pm

You will start with determining what your live load will be, desired width and height over the water.

A beam bridge will be the most cost effective for foot traffic followed by a truss bridge for vehicle traffic.

Your photos both show landscape beam bridges.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » September 30th, 2019, 6:31 pm

adnj wrote:

Thanks for the pic.

You have a 115/230V 60A 3-wire single-phase supply. You can install a 230V 50A welding receptacle. You will be at the limit for electrical supply so anything more than a few lights and a fan turned on while you are welding will likely trip the main breaker.

Install a 50A 2-gang switch to control the outlet. If you mount the outlet within easy reach of the panel, you could rely on the breaker in an emergency and the switch can be omitted.

Welding outlet 3-wire diagram.

2-gang switch with pilot light. This is similar to the switch used for a shower heater but check the rating to be sure. Most shower heater switches are rated to 30A, not 50A.

Thanks for the advice !

sjenille4
Ricer

Postby sjenille4 » October 1st, 2019, 10:17 pm

Varma vs Damus vs CJ hardware? Nu wave roofing coatings fade so fast. Anyone bought from these places and it does not get moss? I cant afford standing seam.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 1st, 2019, 10:33 pm

What wrong with regular corrugated aluzinc

If roof not slanted enough water won't dry off as easily and more likely for mildew

sjenille4 wrote:Varma vs Damus vs CJ hardware? Nu wave roofing coatings fade so fast. Anyone bought from these places and it does not get moss? I cant afford standing seam.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 2nd, 2019, 7:22 am

The fading is caused by inferior coatings on the aluzinc . The cheaper suppliers buy Chinese material or inferior material . Some fade after a month , or might last a year. When it fades, the coating becomes oxidised and traps the moisture longer (even dew , doesn't have to be rain) and causes the mildew to form. Washing cleans it for a while and then it starts again.

Buy sheets that are pvdf coated and you'll get years out of it. Lifetime, Varma, roofman Damus and the larger companies all have good material. I don't want to list the bad ones here, but you will regret trying to save money buying from them.

New Wave , regular corrugated and standing seam are almost the same price because it's the same material and it works out almost the same per sq ft.standing seam is half the cost ,per running foot, of the others because the sheets are half as wide, they slit the rolls to make it.

The corrugated sheets and new wave use screws to install but standing seam use clamps which are more expensive, but overall the cost is not too different.

One of the better things with standing seam is that there are no exposed screws, so no chance of leaks.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » October 2nd, 2019, 4:32 pm

Generally speaking, what is the cost /sf for standing seam vs nu-wave for a low pitch simple gable roof?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 2nd, 2019, 6:10 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:Generally speaking, what is the cost /sf for standing seam vs nu-wave for a low pitch simple gable roof?

Standing seam around $11 and new wave around $20 per running ft.Coverage is 18' for standing seam, 39" of the 42" width for new wave and corrugated.

eitech
punchin NOS

Building a house in Trinidad

Postby eitech » October 4th, 2019, 6:40 am

So i went to land and survey on wrightson road with my deed and they couldnt locate my property on their system although the general area was there. Seemed like a really old map before they developed the area. Anyways, they sent me to ministry of legal affairs and another deep search was done and still nothin. Went to another section of the building, and with a lil “help”, i was able to go really far back to see original deed for the place. But, it was concluded that there was no survey plan for the place. Mind you all i want to know is where one side of my boundary is. So, i was advised by a guy in there that a surveyor could still do the plan. The same surveyor that sent me on all that run around in the first place and said i needed to get a plan

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 13th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Guys your advice please. What is the best way to retroactively install heat shield matting to a house?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 13th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Well you either do it from the top(removing roof sheets and lay the radiant barrier)

Or do it from below and remove the ceiling and use double sided tape on the bottom of purlins and stretch it out and stick.
I did that for a shed we have and was easy as there is no ceiling
I also screwed some flat wood strips to the purlins

Made a huge difference

What is your situation ?

jl6106 wrote:Guys your advice please. What is the best way to retroactively install heat shield matting to a house?

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 13th, 2019, 8:39 pm

My house wasn't built with it and having experienced the difference it makes, was wondering if it could be done.
pugboy wrote:Well you either do it from the top(removing roof sheets and lay the radiant barrier)

Or do it from below and remove the ceiling and use double sided tape on the bottom of purlins and stretch it out and stick.
I did that for a shed we have and was easy as there is no ceiling
I also screwed some flat wood strips to the purlins

Made a huge difference

What is your situation ?

jl6106 wrote:Guys your advice please. What is the best way to retroactively install heat shield matting to a house?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm

The space created by doing it after, will actually make it work better. Cut some 1/2" PVC pipe along the length, and use that with some tek point screws to hold it up on the purlins. There is also one to spray on ,but I can't recall it now.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 13th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Yes, the R factor is two or three times better with a 1.5” or more space than .5”
According to the sheet that the roll came with.
Air is a poor conductor so the larger the airspace the better.

rspann wrote:The space created by doing it after, will actually make it work better. Cut some 1/2" PVC pipe along the length, and use that with some tek point screws to hold it up on the purlins. There is also one to spray on ,but I can't recall it now.
Last edited by pugboy on October 14th, 2019, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 14th, 2019, 5:25 am

Thanks for the info guys appreciated.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 14th, 2019, 5:55 am

What type of ceiling you have?

jl6106 wrote:Thanks for the info guys appreciated.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » October 14th, 2019, 6:50 am

Surveyors prefer to use previous ingormation which they can work with before they re-survey the property and re-register a new plan for it.
eitech wrote:So i went to land and survey on wrightson road with my deed and they couldnt locate my property on their system although the general area was there. Seemed like a really old map before they developed the area. Anyways, they sent me to ministry of legal affairs and another deep search was done and still nothin. Went to another section of the building, and with a lil “help”, i was able to go really far back to see original deed for the place. But, it was concluded that there was no survey plan for the place. Mind you all i want to know is where one side of my boundary is. So, i was advised by a guy in there that a surveyor could still do the plan. The same surveyor that sent me on all that run around in the first place and said i needed to get a plan

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 14th, 2019, 7:29 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Surveyors prefer to use previous ingormation which they can work with before they re-survey the property and re-register a new plan for it.
eitech wrote:So i went to land and survey on wrightson road with my deed and they couldnt locate my property on their system although the general area was there. Seemed like a really old map before they developed the area. Anyways, they sent me to ministry of legal affairs and another deep search was done and still nothin. Went to another section of the building, and with a lil “help”, i was able to go really far back to see original deed for the place. But, it was concluded that there was no survey plan for the place. Mind you all i want to know is where one side of my boundary is. So, i was advised by a guy in there that a surveyor could still do the plan. The same surveyor that sent me on all that run around in the first place and said i needed to get a plan

I had a surveyor who did my sheit and NEVER submitted it to T/C :? 6 months it took me to unravel that piece of fackery and get back my money.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 14th, 2019, 10:22 am

pugboy wrote:Yes, the R factor is two or three times better with a 1.5” or more space than .5”
According to the sheet that the roll came with.
Air is a poor conductor so the larger the airspace the better.

rspann wrote:The space created by doing it after, will actually make it work better. Cut some 1/2" PVC pipe along the length, and use that with some tek point screws to hold it up on the purlins. There is also one to spray on ,but I can't recall it now.
Roofs have convective heat gain that is best handled with a dead space between the roof and the living area.

Roofs also have radiant heat gain that is best handled with a reflective barrier directly below the roof surface. The reflective layer should be between the roof and dead space -not the other way around.

The dead space can be created with a ceiling near the roof, an attic space, insulation (spray-on urethane, foam refrigeration panel or fiberglass blanket), or a combination and should include venting when possible.

I believe pugboy said that he added exhaust fans to move hot air out of his dead space which is one of the most cost effective methods.

jl6106
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jl6106 » October 14th, 2019, 11:40 am

Gypsum board
pugboy wrote:What type of ceiling you have?

jl6106 wrote:Thanks for the info guys appreciated.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » October 16th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Anybody have experience using decorative fiber cement board for kitchen counter tops or bathroom walls? Really tempted by the ones Pionare are selling it as I like the look and cost but worried about durability against scratches and moisture.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » October 17th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Just enquiring....what's the real length of steel (rhs, solid square, etc)???
Seem to only be around 19 feet or a few inches over....not the 20 feet they say it is. Can anybody confirm??

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » October 17th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Jerry84 wrote:Just enquiring....what's the real length of steel (rhs, solid square, etc)???
Seem to only be around 19 feet or a few inches over....not the 20 feet they say it is. Can anybody confirm??

Usually 19' 6"

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 17th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Jerry84 wrote:Just enquiring....what's the real length of steel (rhs, solid square, etc)???
6 meters is the length, ~19' 6-1/2". It is that length to fit inside of a standard ISO shipping container.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » October 28th, 2019, 6:13 am

De Dragon wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Surveyors prefer to use previous ingormation which they can work with before they re-survey the property and re-register a new plan for it.

I had a surveyor who did my sheit and NEVER submitted it to T/C :? 6 months it took me to unravel that piece of fackery and get back my money.

Well i got onto a guy and he says dey need to do a survey search first. Not sure why but the ministry says i have no survey plan for the place. Anyways paid down some money(a lot for a search imo). Been 2 weeks so far.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » November 1st, 2019, 6:23 am

Hey guys,
I looking for someone to do an application for me for WASA to run a 4” main.
They need an engineer to draw the plans to show the water lines, hydrants, slope an drainage etc.
I need that person to handle the entire process: drawings, applications, approvals etc.

If you all know anybody RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY please send me the info.

Thanks

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”