Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby carluva » May 2nd, 2022, 8:47 am

Have you guys explored the value proposition of using the impact rated hurricane UPVC windows available from Domus versus using your typical UPVC/Aluminium windows and then fitting with burglar proofing?

A colleague of mines is doing his windows and doors with Domus and using the hurricane resistant units and said that for his 16 windows, at current market prices for commodities, he will be saving money versus using normal windows and burglar proofing. And safety is not compromised as the windows are impact rated, plus there is a burglar alarm system which as we know is fairly standard on builds these days.

Personally, I always loved the look of windows only and have found that burglar proofing of any type spoils windows.
daxt0r wrote:
Jerry84 wrote:
daxt0r wrote:anyone did finishes touches on house recently and would have bought windows, door, electrical and plumbing fixtures? where has the bess prices rite now with how things goin?
I'm looking at 4x4 as it seems a good size, not sure yet between upvc or aluminum as on the interwebs there is conflicting info on which is better, any recommendations on size an type?
Prices have increased significantly in the construction industry within the last 6 months. A 4x4 aluminum window went up from around $800 to $1000. And this has been the norm across the board. A simple wooden pitch pine door is just over $500, up from $425 max. Haven't reached plumbing as yet so can't comment on that.

yea boy rel pressure on d pump!
Where you see 4x4 windows for 1000, cheapest i saw was like 1300 an most closer to 1500 :/
You think prices will go back down eventually or like all things in Trinidad goes up but doesn't come down with market forces?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 2nd, 2022, 9:06 am

burglar proofing spoils the look until you suffer a home invasion with scissor jacks etc

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 2nd, 2022, 9:19 am

But according to some vids I have seen, that same scissors jack can be thrown at an impact resistant window and the unit will remain intact.

*shrugs shoulders*

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 2nd, 2022, 11:12 am

tbh I never looked at the closing mechanisms on them, will have to look at one close up.

bandits typically dont break glass, they pry open the window with a small crobar and then either twist off the french window flat bars commonly used with a crescent wrench or use a scissor jack if bar pattern is jack friendly.

at the end of the day a good exterior intrusion burglar alarm system is always the best option
many burglar alarms use shock sensors mounted on one bar per window but they will jack the bars which dont have the sensor on it.

carluva wrote:But according to some vids I have seen, that same scissors jack can be thrown at an impact resistant window and the unit will remain intact.

*shrugs shoulders*

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » May 3rd, 2022, 2:52 pm

carluva wrote:Have you guys explored the value proposition of using the impact rated hurricane UPVC windows available from Domus versus using your typical UPVC/Aluminium windows and then fitting with burglar proofing?

A colleague of mines is doing his windows and doors with Domus and using the hurricane resistant units and said that for his 16 windows, at current market prices for commodities, he will be saving money versus using normal windows and burglar proofing. And safety is not compromised as the windows are impact rated, plus there is a burglar alarm system which as we know is fairly standard on builds these days.

Personally, I always loved the look of windows only and have found that burglar proofing of any type spoils windows.
daxt0r wrote:
Jerry84 wrote:
daxt0r wrote:anyone did finishes touches on house recently and would have bought windows, door, electrical and plumbing fixtures? where has the bess prices rite now with how things goin?
I'm looking at 4x4 as it seems a good size, not sure yet between upvc or aluminum as on the interwebs there is conflicting info on which is better, any recommendations on size an type?
Prices have increased significantly in the construction industry within the last 6 months. A 4x4 aluminum window went up from around $800 to $1000. And this has been the norm across the board. A simple wooden pitch pine door is just over $500, up from $425 max. Haven't reached plumbing as yet so can't comment on that.

yea boy rel pressure on d pump!
Where you see 4x4 windows for 1000, cheapest i saw was like 1300 an most closer to 1500 :/
You think prices will go back down eventually or like all things in Trinidad goes up but doesn't come down with market forces?
I would definitely look into this as Domus windows are normally good. Any further information on this would be appreciated though

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » May 3rd, 2022, 8:10 pm

What about aluminum door frames... Anyone knows the prices of those now??

36", 32" & 28"

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » May 3rd, 2022, 9:49 pm

Jerry84 wrote:What about aluminum door frames... Anyone knows the prices of those now??

36", 32" & 28"

Simple google search, numerous places to call. Make some calls bud, it’s easy.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 4th, 2022, 7:40 am

yo where have the windows cheapest (4x4 UPVC, burglar proof and mosquito mesh built-in) right now?
Seeing prices like 1500 for one with nada :/

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » May 7th, 2022, 11:53 am

Question, how much would you average the labor cost of a typical box drain approximately 260 feet in length?

kerwinishere
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kerwinishere » May 12th, 2022, 2:54 pm

The_Honourable wrote:Question, how much would you average the labor cost of a typical box drain approximately 260 feet in length?
You need to specify the width and depth (how many block heights), if capping is required, are blocks to be rendered (plastered) or flush point, if cow mouth are required, any horizonal bracing... All variables that affect the cost as there is no typical box drain

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 15th, 2022, 8:26 am

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 15th, 2022, 11:53 am

Ok guys

Need some advice here

Gonna start a garage/shed 20x20
Using steel frame 2x4 I-beam
Shed gonna be outside of the building setback so as not to interfere with the foundation space in time to come.
Building with bolts and gussets so we can dismantle and move it later on to inside/back of the property.

So i getting someone to do the fabrication offsite
But he told me to sort the foundation
I was thinking auger and cast piles at the 4 corners with the bolts sticking out like they do with those steel framed buildings.
Is this safe/structually sound?

I dont want to cast the floor as the entire floor etc will need to be removed in the future to put the fence etc.
So i was thinking minimal for foundation in terms of sqft.

Now the shed will be faced with usual trini weather
Heavy winds, rain etc, so i need to be sure it can withstand these elements at their peak.

For those who have a better idea or any suggestions

Please advise.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » May 15th, 2022, 12:02 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Ok guys

Need some advice here

Gonna start a garage/shed 20x20
Using steel frame 2x4 I-beam
Shed gonna be outside of the building setback so as not to interfere with the foundation space in time to come.
Building with bolts and gussets so we can dismantle and move it later on to inside/back of the property.

So i getting someone to do the fabrication offsite
But he told me to sort the foundation
I was thinking auger and cast piles at the 4 corners with the bolts sticking out like they do with those steel framed buildings.
Is this safe/structually sound?

I dont want to cast the floor as the entire floor etc will need to be removed in the future to put the fence etc.
So i was thinking minimal for foundation in terms of sqft.

Now the shed will be faced with usual trini weather
Heavy winds, rain etc, so i need to be sure it can withstand these elements at their peak.

For those who have a better idea or any suggestions

Please advise.

You will need more support posts if using 2*4 beams. Won’t recommend the 2*4 beams for the posts though. That’s a wide span for those thin beams. If you can get the thicker gauge beams, that will work. But most hardwares carry those super thin I beams.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 15th, 2022, 12:14 pm

2x4 ibeams for vertical posts will be flexy
if you can get old drill pipe or something sturdier

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 15th, 2022, 12:23 pm

Ok
Well we aint reach as far as purchasing materials yet, so what y'all recommend 6" i-beams for the corners?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 15th, 2022, 12:23 pm

Or add some midway supports with the 2x4?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 15th, 2022, 12:24 pm

big money now

*KRONIK* wrote:Ok
Well we aint reach as far as purchasing materials yet, so what y'all recommend 6" i-beams for the corners?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 15th, 2022, 12:27 pm

pugboy wrote:big money now

I know steel prices are "sir steel" now
But i dont see how i left with much options for materials
Especially keeping modular in the design and application
Cuz i can build an actual 20x20 room with blocks, but i feel thats wasting money and materials

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » May 15th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Add more support if using the 2*4. The 6” is pricey AF. If it’s a temporary structure then don’t waste the money for blocks. You can reuse all the steel

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 15th, 2022, 1:33 pm

i saw a place where they used 2 6" C purlins tacked together to make a big hollow post.
not sure if it works out cheaper now but would have been a lot cheaper years ago for a quick and dirty shed

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 15th, 2022, 3:48 pm

pugboy wrote:i saw a place where they used 2 6" C purlins tacked together to make a big hollow post.
not sure if it works out cheaper now but would have been a lot cheaper years ago for a quick and dirty shed
I considered that purlin thing
But honestly, i have no faith in them as vertical supports.

But i think we'll do the 2x4 with midway supports
Cuz 10feet is good for a vehcile to fit through
And it will just be a few lengths of steel extra needed

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » May 17th, 2022, 3:24 pm

Have you all seen the prices of 2x4 ibeams now? Well steel on the whole?? Actually not just the ibeams but purlins, building materials in general? Exorbitantly high

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 17th, 2022, 3:30 pm

crazy, any solid steel rebar expensive

Jerry84 wrote:
Have you all seen the prices of 2x4 ibeams now? Well steel on the whole?? Actually not just the ibeams but purlins, building materials in general? Exorbitantly high

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 17th, 2022, 7:57 pm

Jerry84 wrote:
Yea
But things hadda build, work needs to get done

I go hadda just bam mih belly and go thru

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » May 17th, 2022, 8:15 pm

What’s the price of the 2*4 beams?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 17th, 2022, 8:27 pm

matix wrote:What’s the price of the 2*4 beams?
Will update when i go shopping around
Maybe early month
But i dont have a price right now to share

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » May 17th, 2022, 8:37 pm

Ordered some C & I beams today, so when it’s delivered I’ll know the cost. Will share when i get it.

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » May 17th, 2022, 9:03 pm

Jerry84 wrote:

Yup! I've been trying to compare prices and its pretty steep with the quotes I were provided. It is what it is. :(

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 17th, 2022, 9:27 pm

Prices will keep going up. Build now while u can

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 18th, 2022, 7:23 am

feelin da pain with steel, 3 quotes 3 times it gone up, where have d cheapest aluzinc dese days?
Down to lumber is mister lumber rite now, boxing board an ply!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”