Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Jerry84 » December 23rd, 2021, 11:22 am

pugboy wrote:yeah, the whole floor would just pop off if they did that.

I have seen them weld bolts to the decking pan above the beams and supposed to make sure the weld puddle penetrates the pan and into the beam, so the bolt acts to keep the concrete tied to the decking pan and the weld attached the pan to the beams

need a competent welder who knows what they doing as welding galvanized material is easy to mistake for a good weld

Jerry84 wrote:What's the process of attaching decking pan to a steel structure? I honestly thought you just drop in the decking pan after the fabricating of the steel and assembly of the building.

But when I think about it, this doesn't sound logical so I want to know what are the options.
Thanks for the info. Know anyone who might be competent to do this?

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » December 23rd, 2021, 11:23 am

carluva wrote:
Jerry84 wrote:What's the process of attaching decking pan to a steel structure? I honestly thought you just drop in the decking pan after the fabricating of the steel and assembly of the building.

But when I think about it, this doesn't sound logical so I want to know what are the options.
See sample detail.
Screenshot_20211222-210631_1.jpg
Thank you. Where can I source these type of bolts or whatever they're called?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 23rd, 2021, 11:42 am

Some companies use the Ramset or hilti tools to shoot the fastener into the steel through the decking pan

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 23rd, 2021, 3:55 pm

Screwtek limited.

Wide assortment of structural bolts, fasteners. Mind you, structural bolts and fasteners are expensive.
Jerry84 wrote:
carluva wrote:

See sample detail.
Screenshot_20211222-210631_1.jpg

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 23rd, 2021, 5:16 pm

the install I saw was a 3" long 1/2" bolt welded upside down, the head up and tip welded to the pan/beam
every few feet spaced out

I doubt they were the same structural bolts used for bolting steel beams together, those are much diff spec and usually one use, if you slacken them after tightening they are no use again.

carluva's drawing seems much simpler, 3/8" mild steel rods welded every 2 feet and bent over the brc.

Jerry84 wrote:
carluva wrote:

See sample detail.Screenshot_20211222-210631_1.jpg

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » December 23rd, 2021, 10:39 pm

:fist:
carluva wrote:Good day folks.

Any recommendations for a good architect or designer for a new house?

T&C approve or not for the drawings?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 23rd, 2021, 11:46 pm

Need T&C approval

timemastee
Street 2NR

Postby timemastee » December 25th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Hey just purchased a lot of land and it has all the approves and whatnot.

I have a few questions.

Any idea of the cost of wire fencing per sqft or so? I'd like to fence before I start anything then move to a concrete wall later down the road.

Thinking of getting a custom house design because I really do hate how houses are designed in trinidad and want something a bit modern. Any idea on the cost or complexity in doing this? I've seen how plans from $8-12k which is good costing but I dont like the designs I've seen.

Also any major concern with building on sand-type soil? It's more gravel IMO with a mix or dirty as you dig deeper (flat area forest that get cut down)

I've yet to look into a contractor and so on to build yet as just want to secure the land first before i start anything.
Last edited by timemastee on December 26th, 2021, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 25th, 2021, 8:45 pm

like yuh buy a piece of land from dg

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 25th, 2021, 9:20 pm

that trini used construction material is real kix
level make out of fraud contractors

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » December 26th, 2021, 4:51 pm

pugboy wrote:like yuh buy a piece of land from dg

Hearing that name called and not in a good way.

timemastee
Street 2NR

Postby timemastee » December 26th, 2021, 5:23 pm

pugboy wrote:like yuh buy a piece of land from dg

lol nah the lots way to small for what they calling. That and it way to far from anything.

I surprised people buying the houses they selling though

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 27th, 2021, 1:16 pm

timemastee wrote:Hey just purchased a lot of land and it has all the approves and whatnot.

I have a few questions.

Any idea of the cost of wire fencing per sqft or so? I'd like to fence before I start anything then move to a concrete wall later down the road.

Thinking of getting a custom house design because I really do hate how houses are designed in trinidad and want something a bit modern. Any idea on the cost or complexity in doing this? I've seen how plans from $8-12k which is good costing but I dont like the designs I've seen.

Also any major concern with building on sand-type soil? It's more gravel IMO with a mix or dirty as you dig deeper (flat area forest that get cut down)

I've yet to look into a contractor and so on to build yet as just want to secure the land first before i start anything.

I'd suggest wirewall/security fencing, but if you're looking to go concrete later on, chain link might be more cost effective. Cost? A roll of chain link is like $1300-1800 depending on height, gauge and coating. You will of course have to measure the area and purchase accordingly.

timemastee
Street 2NR

Postby timemastee » December 27th, 2021, 4:23 pm

De Dragon wrote:
timemastee wrote:Hey just purchased a lot of land and it has all the approves and whatnot.

I have a few questions.

I'd suggest wirewall/security fencing, but if you're looking to go concrete later on, chain link might be more cost effective. Cost? A roll of chain link is like $1300-1800 depending on height, gauge and coating. You will of course have to measure the area and purchase accordingly.

My padna was suggesting the same thing but because I might leave that fence for 5 year if it keep good.

Any idea on the life span difference? I've seem some wirewalls rust and break down within 10 years

nismodriver
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby nismodriver » January 2nd, 2022, 11:21 pm

Any ideas on when Sherwin Williams usually have their sale?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 3rd, 2022, 8:04 am

Sales are a few times a year ranging from 10% off to 40% off.

Usually, a 40% sale would take place sometime around Easter for about 4 days.

If you sign up for an account with SW at a store, you will get email notifications on sale days.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 3rd, 2022, 8:15 am

timemastee wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

I have a few questions.

My padna was suggesting the same thing but because I might leave that fence for 5 year if it keep good.

Any idea on the life span difference? I've seem some wirewalls rust and break down within 10 years
Going to start fencing a new property soon.We decided to go with galvanize fence.Same framing for chainlink.How high do you want to go and what is the length of fence required?

Tar Baby
Street 2NR

Postby Tar Baby » January 3rd, 2022, 8:42 am

Removed by user
Last edited by Tar Baby on September 17th, 2023, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 3rd, 2022, 8:49 am

Tile warehouse and that tile place by utt munroe road flyover had some good prices.

Things gone up like hell in the last year or two though.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 3rd, 2022, 9:16 am

Do you need pre-fab sheets ready to install or do you need to get a countertop fabricated and installed?

If the latter, call Ian 620-4109 or 789-3346.

He is one of the largest granite contractors in the country but not very well advertised. He has a huge variety of colours and patterns and is extremely reliable and professional. He can get you your counter within a week.

Granite can go from $350 PSF to $700 PSF.

Quartz has both engineered (man made) and natural (in the form of quartzite). Engineered quartz is very good looking but prone to discoloration over time especially if spills are left unattended. Quartzite is very gorgeous and more durable than granite. It's very resistant to heat and stains. Both of these counters are in the same price range as the granite.

Tar Baby wrote:Hi all,

Recommendations on where to buy quarts/granite? What's the going prices? Need about 19'
Did a small search but didnt find much.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » January 3rd, 2022, 7:57 pm

Kelvin Ghany Enterprises for quartz.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 7th, 2022, 10:01 pm

This seems like a good place to ask...

Anyone know where I can find this? The tape will be making contact with the iron window frame, some glass and the concrete wall. It has to be able to withstand a LOT of heat and not get brittle and fall off soon after. Purpose is to keep air from rushing in through all the gaps in the window frame.

If this can't work, will appreciate any recommendations and where to source. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Interior-Tran ... CBIFF?th=1
61rbRIUUUOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 7th, 2022, 10:08 pm

Is the air rushing in between the window frame and the masonry window pocket/opening?

What is the size of the gap you are attempting to seal?

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 7th, 2022, 10:24 pm

carluva wrote:Is the air rushing in between the window frame and the masonry window pocket/opening?

The air is coming mainly from gaps in the window frame itself after taking another look. Once the frame is closed, there are gaps of 1/4" or less vertically (where iron window frame meets main iron housing) and smaller gaps on the underneath/top of the frame.

There's no space between any of the masonry work, just that the frames don't fit very tightly or snug once closed. The curtains are always blowing as if windows are opened when a strong breeze passes, lol

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » January 7th, 2022, 11:33 pm

Soul Collector wrote:
carluva wrote:Is the air rushing in between the window frame and the masonry window pocket/opening?

The air is coming mainly from gaps in the window frame itself after taking another look. Once the frame is closed, there are gaps of 1/4" or less vertically (where iron window frame meets main iron housing) and smaller gaps on the underneath/top of the frame.

There's no space between any of the masonry work, just that the frames don't fit very tightly or snug once closed. The curtains are always blowing as if windows are opened when a strong breeze passes, lol

Considering your name is soul collector, could just be a ghost coming for collection lol

Could have gotten the rubber used around glass and put that on the window edges

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 7th, 2022, 11:47 pm

Soul Collector wrote:

If it's a relatively square surface, you can use can foam. Just be mindful that that foam is VERY difficult to get off of hands and clothes, so use gloves, old clothes.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 8th, 2022, 12:24 am

Kronik wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:

Considering your name is soul collector, could just be a ghost coming for collection lol

Well boi... if the window gets sealed up and curtain still moving, then I feel is sumn coming to collect me yes :lol:

That idea with the rubber is actually the damn thing self! A simple strip around the frame and it should give a pretty nice, unnoticeable seal. With the tape, I wouldn't have been able to open the windows which I didn't mind too much but with the rubber it retains the functionality. Something like that didn't even cross my mind, thank you!

Dragon, if it were a bigger gap and for something more permanent, I may have tried the foam. Saw a friend use that can foam to seal a 1" gap between his window frame and wall (frame came out smaller than intended). It looked like a lil therapy to use, lol. Thanks tho.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » January 8th, 2022, 12:33 am

Soul Collector wrote:
Kronik wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:

Well boi... if the window gets sealed up and curtain still moving, then I feel is sumn coming to collect me yes

That idea with the rubber is actually the damn thing self! A simple strip around the frame and it should give a pretty nice, unnoticeable seal. With the tape, I wouldn't have been able to open the windows which I didn't mind too much but with the rubber it retains the functionality. Something like that didn't even cross my mind, thank you!

Dragon, if it were a bigger gap and for something more permanent, I may have tried the foam. Saw a friend use that can foam to seal a 1" gap between his window frame and wall (frame came out smaller than intended). It looked like a lil therapy to use, lol. Thanks tho.
You could also run a bead of silicone

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 8th, 2022, 8:15 am

the windows prob undersized for the outer frame

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 8th, 2022, 9:01 am

Soul Collector wrote:
Kronik wrote:
Soul Collector wrote:

Well boi... if the window gets sealed up and curtain still moving, then I feel is sumn coming to collect me yes

Car trunk rubber by Radica's should be cheap

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”