this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Musical Doc » December 7th, 2022, 9:48 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
pugboy wrote:there is one which looks like a circuit breaker in the panel

Jerry84 wrote:Are there any reputable whole house surge protectors locally? Looking for something affordable, not bulky and easy to install.

GE has one for about 650.

Where? An electrician installed one for me yesterday actually, said the cost was $900

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » December 7th, 2022, 9:51 am

The eastern wall of my house has developed some cracks and has been soaking in water and the entire wall has patches of faded paint so it looks horrible. What can I use to seal off the entire wall even though it is painted? I want to repair all the cracks first then use some kind of sealer/waterproofer and then repaint

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 7th, 2022, 10:14 am

Musical Doc wrote:The eastern wall of my house has developed some cracks and has been soaking in water and the entire wall has patches of faded paint so it looks horrible. What can I use to seal off the entire wall even though it is painted? I want to repair all the cracks first then use some kind of sealer/waterproofer and then repaint

There’s a sealant called Idrogum from Teca.
These are the local agents
http://www.protectionplustt.com/

Where is the water coming from?
You may want to address that first before waterproofing

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » December 7th, 2022, 10:40 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:The eastern wall of my house has developed some cracks and has been soaking in water and the entire wall has patches of faded paint so it looks horrible. What can I use to seal off the entire wall even though it is painted? I want to repair all the cracks first then use some kind of sealer/waterproofer and then repaint

There’s a sealant called Idrogum from Teca.
These are the local agents
http://www.protectionplustt.com/

Where is the water coming from?
You may want to address that first before waterproofing

its rain causing it. The heavy rain recently made it worse. I did get a lot of poor work done when building :(

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 7th, 2022, 11:03 am

I had a leaking concrete gutter and that how I found out about the Idrogum.
Water has to getting into the walls maybe from the roof so sort that out first.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 7th, 2022, 11:11 am

Starting a build soon.This is the warning that I will be asking some questions during the course of next year

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » December 7th, 2022, 11:58 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I had a leaking concrete gutter and that how I found out about the Idrogum.

I have a decking on top and water runoff is on the west side and no water accumulates on the east side so I don't think its that. But where the brick meets the beam, there is a crack along maybe half the length of the wall so I believe that is where the water going in when rain falls.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » December 14th, 2022, 6:54 pm

I realized that alot of people don't take storage into consideration when building a house (like myself). I also realized that I can utilize the space in the gable of the roof as it's not being used after ceiling is done.

I've therefore come up with an idea to build some type of loft with a pull down attic type ladder once I can find one locally. But I need some assistance in planning the build. I was thinking of using purlins spaced 2ft apart on center running in one direction and flooring it with ply.

I'm unsure of whether the idea has to be suspended from the roof or if I need to anchor it on the cross walls. But the walls doesn't have any concrete beams so I'm not sure how it can be done at a reasonable cost.

Ideas welcomed.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 14th, 2022, 7:06 pm

what is the composition of idrogum?
it is a rubber type sealant that sticks to concrete ?

i just buy a few pails of vulchem rubberized sealant

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I had a leaking concrete gutter and that how I found out about the Idrogum.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 14th, 2022, 8:55 pm

Jerry84 wrote:I realized that alot of people don't take storage into consideration when building a house (like myself). I also realized that I can utilize the space in the gable of the roof as it's not being used after ceiling is done.

I've therefore come up with an idea to build some type of loft with a pull down attic type ladder once I can find one locally. But I need some assistance in planning the build. I was thinking of using purlins spaced 2ft apart on center running in one direction and flooring it with ply.

I'm unsure of whether the idea has to be suspended from the roof or if I need to anchor it on the cross walls. But the walls doesn't have any concrete beams so I'm not sure how it can be done at a reasonable cost.

Ideas welcomed.
Your walls don't have a ringbeam on the top?

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » December 15th, 2022, 1:37 pm

timelapse wrote:
Jerry84 wrote:I realized that alot of people don't take storage into consideration when building a house (like myself). I also realized that I can utilize the space in the gable of the roof as it's not being used after ceiling is done.

Ideas welcomed.
So the ring beam is on the perimeter walls and not on the cross walls. Cross wall is actually the bathroom. Was wondering if anchor bolts would suffice in bolting the purlins to the hollow clay blocks?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 15th, 2022, 8:27 pm

Jerry84 wrote:
timelapse wrote:

Ideas welcomed.
So the ring beam is on the perimeter walls and not on the cross walls. Cross wall is actually the bathroom. Was wondering if anchor bolts would suffice in bolting the purlins to the hollow clay blocks?

There are floor joist calculators on the web. You'll need to guess how much weight you want to support in the attic space and whether the floor will get static or active loads from people walking on the floor.

For rendered clay block, you will very likely need to secure a C-purlin to act as a hanger onto the wall and attach the floor joists to the hanger.

If you cannot rely on the central walls for support, the calculation should just consider a single, open span.

https://www.calqlata.com/productpages/00068-help.html

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 15th, 2022, 8:33 pm

What he said ^

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » December 19th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Another question..... So my house was built 40 years ago which I inherited last year. The main electrical supply is 100amps. But due to me renovating and updating (rewiring) as the wires and codes were outdated, I was advised by electricians to upgrade the main supply to 200amps. Now my renovations entails an extension which wouldn't be completed in a hurry.

My question is, when I upgrade, seeing that the initial house would be all that's in use for now, would my electricity bill automatically increase as I upgraded the mains??

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » December 19th, 2022, 9:45 pm

Jerry84 wrote:Another question..... So my house was built 40 years ago which I inherited last year. The main electrical supply is 100amps. But due to me renovating and updating (rewiring) as the wires and codes were outdated, I was advised by electricians to upgrade the main supply to 200amps. Now my renovations entails an extension which wouldn't be completed in a hurry.

My question is, when I upgrade, seeing that the initial house would be all that's in use for now, would my electricity bill automatically increase as I upgraded the mains??

No it won’t, it’s all about usage.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » December 20th, 2022, 6:24 am

Jerry84 wrote:Another question..... So my house was built 40 years ago which I inherited last year. The main electrical supply is 100amps. But due to me renovating and updating (rewiring) as the wires and codes were outdated, I was advised by electricians to upgrade the main supply to 200amps. Now my renovations entails an extension which wouldn't be completed in a hurry.

Electricity bill is solely dependent on usage bro.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 20th, 2022, 11:12 am

indeed , cost is as u consume it ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 6th, 2023, 5:10 am

looking for some solid surface counters, the plastic type like what kfc uses, not stone.

Who have best prices ?

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » January 6th, 2023, 11:25 am

Pass thru a popular hardware today. Place deaddd .... January normally be busy... on the other hand noticing a lot of cement trucks on the road ... seems like many people holding back spending for the while.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 6th, 2023, 11:34 am

Anyone knows the current approvals process?
I started an application in developtt back in Feb 2022.
(technically a contractor did, but I can see the status thru the website).

I know it passed T&C after a couple inspector queries and site visit.
I know it just finished Reg Corp after a couple queries.
Current status is "Building Permit Requested".

Is the finish line near for me to sell my soul for a mortgage? Or are there more administrative hoops to jump through.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 6th, 2023, 12:02 pm

Nah
Last stage is the building permit
So yuh go GT just now

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 6th, 2023, 12:41 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Nah
Last stage is the building permit
So yuh go GT just now

BESSSSS. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

kerwinishere
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kerwinishere » January 6th, 2023, 7:45 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Anyone knows the current approvals process?

Is the finish line near for me to sell my soul for a mortgage? Or are there more administrative hoops to jump through.
You need to tell your contractor that you want to see two things, CMOH Decision History and Corporation Decision History so you can get a detailed view on the current status. "Building Permit Requested" is the status that is assigned when the applicant forwards the application to the relevant Municipal Corporation.

From there the application is registered at the Corporation and forwarded to CMOH for their input regarding drainage, ventilation, septic system etc).

Only when the CMOH Department recommends the application for approval the Building Inspector (or Engineer) of the Corporation would visit the site and subsequently review the application to ensure that ownership documents are in order, they comply with the building regulations and the structural details are acceptable. When their requirements

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » January 6th, 2023, 10:05 pm

How do they quote for readymix cement pumped from the truck?

Like, what factors do they take into consideration to advise on a price.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » January 6th, 2023, 10:13 pm

goalpost wrote:How do they quote for readymix cement pumped from the truck?

They charge by the cubic yard, they will do a site visit and tell you how many yards you need and also if you need a ground pump or overhead pump which is an additional cost

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 6th, 2023, 11:04 pm

they may also offer additions to the mix such as fiberglsss

alfa wrote:
goalpost wrote:How do they quote for readymix cement pumped from the truck?

They charge by the cubic yard, they will do a site visit and tell you how many yards you need and also if you need a ground pump or overhead pump which is an additional cost

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » January 7th, 2023, 3:25 pm

Guys I wanna do an extension to my house. It'll be approximately 20x20 extension, 2 storey attachment, will have to buss a hole in the wall upstairs to access the upstairs storey extension. This is to build 2 bedrooms and a bath (1 bedroom and bath downstairs and 1 bedroom upstairs)
My question is based on experience what do you think could be the cost for something like this. The 20x20 space is already a concrete yard but I suspect there'll still be some work to build foundation and well, the decking for the upstairs.

Also based on experience, even if I have the money to do this, does it make sense to use it for the construction or take a loan and keep my savings?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 7th, 2023, 4:49 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Anyone knows the current approvals process?

Don't celebrate too quickly, that stage took me more than a year to complete. :?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 7th, 2023, 4:51 pm

What area that approval process getting bogged down? Central?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 7th, 2023, 9:39 pm

that like when they tell you your ful approved but just waiting on gg signature

in woodbrook which is leasehold you need president signature as the final step
that can take a couple years

De Dragon wrote:Don't celebrate too quickly, that stage took me more than a year to complete. :?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”