Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby pugboy » October 9th, 2022, 7:10 am

anybody have link to town country document/law about building setbacks from boundary walls etc?

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 9th, 2022, 7:44 am

*KRONIK* wrote:So augering/pile question:
If i want to install those pre-fab fence
They are 8ft wide x 7ft tall
I need to do 80ft in length

Where i need to install them doest have any wall or floor to bolt the posts.

So i was thinking of doing some small 1ft x 1ft piled concrete pads along the proposed fenceline to install the posts onto.
Reason is i need something removable in the long term as the drive way will need to be placed somewhere in the middle and eventually, a wall to replace the fence.
I was thinking longterm, chainlink is a bit diffucult to reuse as it sags and rusts.
Fence posts (2" pipe) will need to be cast in the ground and eventually cut off to be removed and may not be of a usable length after.

With the prefab panels elsewhere (maybe as the back fence), i can reuse the posts and fence as they are all bolt on

So if i have to do the small piles....
What is a good width and depth?

The prefab fences not bad, from my experience they’re not long term as the ones available now aren’t of the best quality. What you got years ago compared to now is a major drop in quality. Call Trinrico and ask for the chain link wire, there’s a much thicker guage as compared to the ‘regular’ cheap, saggy one available at most hardwares. With the good chain link wire you can simply do 2” metal posts, pull yuh chain link, tie it off and when yuh ready to remove it, untie, roll up and use it elsewhere.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » October 9th, 2022, 8:21 am

matix wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:So augering/pile question:
If i want to install those pre-fab fence
They are 8ft wide x 7ft tall
I need to do 80ft in length

Where i need to install them doest have any wall or floor to bolt the posts.

So i was thinking of doing some small 1ft x 1ft piled concrete pads along the proposed fenceline to install the posts onto.
Reason is i need something removable in the long term as the drive way will need to be placed somewhere in the middle and eventually, a wall to replace the fence.
I was thinking longterm, chainlink is a bit diffucult to reuse as it sags and rusts.
Fence posts (2" pipe) will need to be cast in the ground and eventually cut off to be removed and may not be of a usable length after.

With the prefab panels elsewhere (maybe as the back fence), i can reuse the posts and fence as they are all bolt on

So if i have to do the small piles....
What is a good width and depth?

The prefab fences not bad, from my experience they’re not long term as the ones available now aren’t of the best quality. What you got years ago compared to now is a major drop in quality. Call Trinrico and ask for the chain link wire, there’s a much thicker guage as compared to the ‘regular’ cheap, saggy one available at most hardwares. With the good chain link wire you can simply do 2” metal posts, pull yuh chain link, tie it off and when yuh ready to remove it, untie, roll up and use it elsewhere.
Noted

kerwinishere
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kerwinishere » October 9th, 2022, 8:26 am

pugboy wrote:anybody have link to town country document/law about building setbacks from boundary walls etc?
The town and country planning act and guide to developers and applicants for planning permission.

Setbacks you'd find in Spatial Planning Guidelines.
Typically as follows:
-7.5m from building to boundary line adjacent to primary road reserve
-4.5m from building to boundary line adjacent to secondary road reserve
-2.5m from the building to side boundary lines (if it's a lot and not a road reserve)
3.5m from the building to rear boundary line (if it's a lot and not a road reserve)

Setbacks change with the Classification/location of lots especially where areas are earmarked for anything other than residential use. Your best bet would be emailing the TCPD Planner for your region with your survey and proof of ownership and making a formal request for the setbacks for your plot.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 9th, 2022, 9:04 am

I was looking at that same doc, but there seem to be some unclear points about classification of residential vs commercial and having connection to the amount of building area as you mention.

There is a commercial building going up nearby which is about 4ft from the boundary line to the road.
Which I suspect is clear contravention of the requirement but need proper clarification.
I suspect there is vagueity for a reason.........

kerwinishere wrote:
pugboy wrote:anybody have link to town country document/law about building setbacks from boundary walls etc?
The town and country planning act and guide to developers and applicants for planning permission.

Typically as follows:
-2.5m from the building to side boundary lines (if it's a lot and not a road reserve)
3.5m from the building to rear boundary line (if it's a lot and not a road reserve)

Setbacks change with the Classification/location of lots especially where areas are earmarked for anything other than residential use. Your best bet would be emailing the TCPD Planner for your region with your survey and proof of ownership and making a formal request for the setbacks for your plot.

kerwinishere
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kerwinishere » October 9th, 2022, 3:22 pm

pugboy wrote:I was looking at that same doc, but there seem to be some unclear points about classification of residential vs commercial and having connection to the amount of building area as you mention.

There is a commercial building going up nearby which is about 4ft from the boundary line to the road.
Which I suspect is clear contravention of the requirement but need proper clarification.
I suspect there is vagueity for a reason.........

kerwinishere wrote:

Typically as follows:

While the building is being constructed would be the best time to bring it to the attention of the releavnt authorities (TCPD, relevant Municipal Corporation along with it's CEO, ESO, Building Inspector, Chairman and your councillor). Don't wait until the building is actually causing a problem to make a report.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 9th, 2022, 3:31 pm

it actually doesn’t concern me directly as it is not on my street but other residents have concerns
unfortunately in the pos corp many of these buildings have a certain city engineer in their pocket

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » October 27th, 2022, 2:26 pm

Any recommendations for motion sensor activated faucets?
Only places I've seen carrying them are ABC, Classic tiles and Bhagwansingh

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 27th, 2022, 4:14 pm

somebody i know who has one dumped it after it malfunctioned

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » October 27th, 2022, 4:30 pm

pugboy wrote:somebody i know who has one dumped it after it malfunctioned
Most people do this. The novelty fades rapidly.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 27th, 2022, 11:19 pm

Gonna start construction of a building soon. Anybody got any ideas as to where has reasonable prices for steel these days?

Called a few places recently, and the average these days is about 11k/ton. Them prices crazy, gonna need about 3-4 tons in total.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 28th, 2022, 5:39 am

88sins wrote:Gonna start construction of a building soon. Anybody got any ideas as to where has reasonable prices for steel these days?

Called a few places recently, and the average these days is about 11k/ton. Them prices crazy, gonna need about 3-4 tons in total.

Try Union Steel, Trinrico, Pt. Lisas steel hardware, Centrin.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 28th, 2022, 6:19 am

prices have doubled and more

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 28th, 2022, 6:25 am

Anand low price has good prices but I not sure about the quality/ grade

Bhagwansinghs has consistently good quality

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 28th, 2022, 6:36 am

Reesal and Poonam Hardware were reasonable earlier this year,but I have a neighbour who went with Trinidad Auger Pilers Ltd. because they delivered all of the steel stuff already tied with stirrups etc at slightly less than hiring someone to tie

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 28th, 2022, 8:37 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Anand low price has good prices but I not sure about the quality/ grade

Bhagwansinghs has consistently good quality

Quality is most important with steel. Market flooded with cheap mild steel

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 28th, 2022, 8:46 am

Point Fortin has good steel and his prices are also good.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » October 28th, 2022, 1:27 pm

MR gypsum in an exposed (only one wall) outdoor garage? Yay or nay?
What other ceiling options available apart from PVC?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 28th, 2022, 2:46 pm

worksux101 wrote:MR gypsum in an exposed (only one wall) outdoor garage? Yay or nay?
Galvanize soffit material

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 28th, 2022, 3:09 pm

worksux101 wrote:MR gypsum in an exposed (only one wall) outdoor garage? Yay or nay?

NuWave or Standing seam. Easy install, easy to clean, long life span, wide range of colors.

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » October 28th, 2022, 3:17 pm

matix wrote:

NuWave or Standing seam. Easy install, easy to clean, long life span, wide range of colors.

Can use these as a ceiling?
The roofing over it is standing seam on rhs/I beams

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 28th, 2022, 3:20 pm

worksux101 wrote:
matix wrote:

Yes it can. Gives a nice industrial look

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 28th, 2022, 3:35 pm

worksux101 wrote:
matix wrote:

you can use the metal 'underseal' sheets as a ceiling option. Just look at most modern unipets and you'll get an idea what it looks like
Just remember your ceiling should be VERY well insulated and ventilated, with a healthy gap between ceiling and roof, because metal loves to draw heat

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » October 28th, 2022, 3:38 pm

Thanks fellas will check it out. I guess the gypsum is a no go lol

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 28th, 2022, 3:58 pm

i have the green supposedly moisture resistant gypsum as under eave ceiling and it has held up for many years

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » October 28th, 2022, 5:45 pm

pugboy wrote:i have the green supposedly moisture resistant gypsum as under eave ceiling and it has held up for many years

Quality from years ago to now is the worry. Too much damn cheap materials on the market

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » October 29th, 2022, 9:28 pm

88sins wrote:Gonna start construction of a building soon. Anybody got any ideas as to where has reasonable prices for steel these days?

At 11k per tonne it's actually a lower price. Prices are rumored to drop in the near future.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » October 29th, 2022, 9:33 pm

Wanted some advice on a diy project. I am repainting a fridge which got some rust spots. I sanded the surface but was wondering if I should treat the rust prior to priming and painting.

If I am to treat the rust what's the process and what should I use?

My idea is to use a roller to apply a thinned out version of automotive black paint (yes a color change). Anyone ever tried this before?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 29th, 2022, 9:35 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:
pugboy wrote:somebody i know who has one dumped it after it malfunctioned
Most people do this. The novelty fades rapidly.

They bought sheitty ones. We have here in work being activated hundreds of times daily, with only one malfunction that I can remember, and that was sorted out without changing the unit.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 29th, 2022, 9:41 pm

MG Man wrote:
worksux101 wrote:
matix wrote:

you can use the metal 'underseal' sheets as a ceiling option. Just look at most modern unipets and you'll get an idea what it looks like
Just remember your ceiling should be VERY well insulated and ventilated, with a healthy gap between ceiling and roof, because metal loves to draw heat

Heat barrier is now about $1150 per 125 X 4 roll, but a garage shouldn't need much.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”