Forums

Study offers warning about next potential mass extinction

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ray_S.T.R.A_man
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Study offers warning about next potential mass extinction

Postby ray_S.T.R.A_man » March 3rd, 2011, 4:07 am

The Earth has undergone mass extinctions, during which more than 75% of existing species disappear, exactly five times in the past 540 million years. If things continue as they are we may be at the beginning of the sixth, a group of biologists and paleontologists suggest in a cautionary paper in Wednesday's edition of the journal Nature.

One possible cause of the largest extinction event in the history of life on Earth was a meteor that crashed off the coast of Australia about 251 million years ago. Scientists in 2004 found evidence of an impact crater there, believed to be from a meteor strike.

But they also signal that the threat is at such an early stage, with so many questions yet to be answered, that there's hope for avoiding this outcome.

The projection comes from researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, the University of Sao Paulo in Brazil and the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center in Durham, N.C. They looked at the animals currently listed as "critically endangered," "endangered" and "threatened" by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.

The IUCN lists 18,351 species on its "Red List of Threatened Species," considered the global standard for the conservation status of animal and plant species. All are at risk based on current and projected habitat loss or destruction due to human encroachment and climate change. Of those, 1,940 are listed as critically endangered, meaning the species' numbers have decreased, or will decrease, by 80% within three generations.

Then they raise the big "ifs."

If those animals were all to go extinct and if the rate of extinction were to continue unabated, amphibian, bird and mammal extinctions would reach "Big Five" magnitude within as little as three centuries to as far out as 2,200 years, they calculate. All of the mass extinctions of the past also transpired over many centuries or longer.Biologists today estimate that within the last 500 years, at least 80 mammal species have gone extinct out of a beginning total of 5,570 known species.That may be only 1.4%, but "just because the magnitude is low … doesn't mean to say that they aren't significant," says co-author Charles Marshall, UC Berkeley professor of integrative biology, in a press release.

"Walk outside, look around and imagine three-fourths of all the different kinds of life you see gone," says Anthony Barnosky, a paleobiologist at Berkeley and lead author on the paper. "Ask yourself if you'd be happy living in that world."

The researchers say they based their calculations on fairly conservative estimates of known extinction events from the fossil record, and information about extinct and threatened species today. They acknowledge that these are estimates and highlight the need for more research.

Previous extinction events
•Ordovician, 443 million years ago.
86% of all species lost.
Some possible causes: Waxing and waning ice ages; rise of the Appalachians affecting atmospheric and ocean chemistry.

•Devonian, 359 million years ago.
75% of all species lost.
Some possible causes: Global cooling, followed by global warming, tied to new plants evolving and decrease in carbon dioxide; possibly meteor strikes as well.

•Permian, 251 million years ago. 96% of all species lost.
Some possible causes: Siberian volcanoes; increased carbon dioxide levels; global warming; an asteroid or meteor strike.

•Triassic, 200 million years ago.
80% of all species lost.
Possible cause: Volcanic activity caused by the breakup of the mega-continent Pangaea led to a rise in carbon dioxide levels and increased global temperatures.

•Cretaceous, 65 million years ago.
76% of species lost, including the dinosaurs.
Possible causes: Asteroid strike in the Yucatan led to global cataclysm and rapid global cooling.

Source: Nature

Questions still to be answered are whether currently threatened, endangered and critically endangered species will go extinct, whether the rates used in their calculations will increase, decrease or remain steady and how reliably extinction rates in well-studied fossils can be extrapolated to other species in other places.

So they made what they consider cautious extrapolations from the data available.

The paper has "pushed the field forward significantly," says David Jablonski, a paleontologist at the University of Chicago who was not an author on the paper. "It's exciting to have a group of people trying to work it through as rigorously as they can."

And Stuart Pimm, a conservation biologist at Duke University in Durham, N.C., believes the researchers have "done a good job of measuring the size and rates of extinctions, the number of species that are threatened and, I think, drawn some very solid conclusions."

The term, "the sixth extinction," has been thrown around a lot in conservation circles over the past several years, but Pimm says he hadn't used it because he felt it was "poetic" but not based enough on facts. With the publication of this paper "I will use it now," he says.

The good news is that the Earth so far has only lost "a few percentage of species, nothing like the 75% we lost in the past, so we still have a lot more out there to save," says Barnosky.

The bad news is that current extinction rates are accelerating.

Pimm published a paper in the journal in Science in 1995 which found that species are currently going extinct at rates 100 to 1,000 times faster than the normal pace of evolution would give rise to new species and eliminate others. The last 15 years of research have only strengthened those findings, he says.

"But it's not hopeless. Earth's biodiversity is really in pretty good shape, if we can just slow the train of extinction," says Barnosky.

The cause of this latest wave of extinctions is humans and our burgeoning population, set to hit nine billion by 2050, he says.

Human endeavors are causing changing atmospheric conditions, habitat fragmentation, pollution, overfishing and over hunting, the introduction of invasive species and pathogens, the paper notes.

"One thing the fossil record shows us unequivocally is that ecosystems can be pushed to their breaking points," says Jablonski. What tends to be left after these mass extinction events is "a world of rats and weeds and cockroaches," species that are good at living in the margins, says Jablonski.

The solution is not to give up, but to become more efficient, says Barnosky. "We have to realize that there's a fixed amount of land out there for other species habitats' in order to keep biodiversity at the level we're accustomed to having it."

THE END IS NEAR....

Halfbreed07
30 pounds of Boost

Re: Study offers warning about next potential mass extinctio

Postby Halfbreed07 » March 3rd, 2011, 6:36 am

where is the original web link?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 3rd, 2011, 8:34 am

The end is already here - it's just taking a bit longer than expected.

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » March 3rd, 2011, 8:43 am

^it by Gran Bazaar lights den?

everybody who ever 'stuck' or stickin...ALWAYS by GB lights :/

geodude
Riding on 18's

Postby geodude » March 3rd, 2011, 9:07 am

oo ho so thats why the PNM build the new interchange at grand bazzar, they in cahoots with the illuminant to destroy the world, and here i thought they truly cared about the ppl of Trinidad, and wanted to free us from traffic.

facking politicians

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » March 3rd, 2011, 11:56 am

One possible cause of the largest extinction event in the history of life on Earth was a meteor that crashed off the coast of Australia about 251 million years ago. Scientists in 2004 found evidence of an impact crater there, believed to be from a meteor strike.

:shock:

i didnt know about that 1 : i know about d 1 in d gulf of mexico ...

El nino
Riding on 13's

Postby El nino » March 3rd, 2011, 1:00 pm

cool story bro

AllTrac
TriniTuner Crew

Postby AllTrac » March 3rd, 2011, 1:06 pm

Razkal wrote:^it by Gran Bazaar lights den?

everybody who ever 'stuck' or stickin...ALWAYS by GB lights :/

ROFLLLL :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol:

TRAE
punchin NOS

Postby TRAE » March 3rd, 2011, 2:44 pm

when my business ded i ded

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » March 4th, 2011, 12:49 am

man is the scourge of this planet......a parasite that is sucking it dry without regard for the other organisms which also have to inhabit....nature will therefore remove the undesirable element in order to regain harmonious balance..........

ray_S.T.R.A_man
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby ray_S.T.R.A_man » March 4th, 2011, 4:13 am

~Vēġó~ wrote:man is the scourge of this planet......a parasite that is sucking it dry without regard for the other organisms which also have to inhabit....nature will therefore remove the undesirable element in order to regain harmonious balance..........

quite poetic

DevilZ
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby DevilZ » March 4th, 2011, 5:49 pm

ray_S.T.R.A_man wrote:
~Vēġó~ wrote:man is the scourge of this planet......a parasite that is sucking it dry without regard for the other organisms which also have to inhabit....nature will therefore remove the undesirable element in order to regain harmonious balance..........

quite poetic

so we kill ourselves...firetruck that sheit...i eh care who/what dies out as long as i live a happy life

Crucial
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Crucial » March 4th, 2011, 8:07 pm

This is very...
Attachments
1294021505231.jpg

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » March 4th, 2011, 11:17 pm

DevilZ wrote:
ray_S.T.R.A_man wrote:

quite poetic

so we kill ourselves...firetruck that sheit...i eh care who/what dies out as long as i live a happy life

exactly.....

DevilZ
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby DevilZ » March 5th, 2011, 1:30 am

ok so if the planet needed one person to die to achieve harmonious balance would u volunteer?

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » March 5th, 2011, 2:03 am

so which tuner gonna play hero an save da world???? :D:D:D:D

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » March 5th, 2011, 3:04 am

DevilZ wrote:ok so if the planet needed one person to die to achieve harmonious balance would u volunteer?

why not? but you need to re-visit my initial point and think of the planet as a living entity....if something is causing harm to you won't you want to get rid of it in order to regain your sense of comfort, harmony and balance? or would you let it fester until it consumes you totally?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 5th, 2011, 5:20 am

^^ but does it make a conscious decision to remove the bad entity? u would want to remove an entity if u perceived that it is bad, but nature cannot 'think and decide' to remove an entity. so far, humans just fleckin up de place and all the other biologicals getting extinct.

what would happen, is that the earth would eventually reach a state where the resources humans need would have been exhausted, and only a few could be sustained. but this would be after majority of other species disappear.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » March 5th, 2011, 5:51 am

Strange pios eh run een and start to extol the virtues of animals ovah people yet!

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 5th, 2011, 11:24 am

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 5th, 2011, 8:37 pm

lola.308 wrote:yeah Dragon but I can bet you bluefete and megadoc1 will invade the thread and make it into a 3rd God thread just like the earthquake prediction thread. ugh.

...well, i here already.... sooo....

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » March 6th, 2011, 12:42 am

sMASH wrote:^^ but does it make a conscious decision to remove the bad entity? u would want to remove an entity if u perceived that it is bad, but nature cannot 'think and decide' to remove an entity. so far, humans just fleckin up de place and all the other biologicals getting extinct.

what would happen, is that the earth would eventually reach a state where the resources humans need would have been exhausted, and only a few could be sustained. but this would be after majority of other species disappear.

I'm not saying that nature can "think" neither am I saying that it can't......but we often hear and use the term "nature will find a way".......and it ultimately does....

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » March 6th, 2011, 2:10 am

~Vēġó~ wrote:
sMASH wrote:^^ but does it make a conscious decision to remove the bad entity? u would want to remove an entity if u perceived that it is bad, but nature cannot 'think and decide' to remove an entity. so far, humans just fleckin up de place and all the other biologicals getting extinct.

I'm not saying that nature can "think" neither am I saying that it can't......but we often hear and use the term "nature will find a way".......and it ultimately does....

^^^ by customary or cyclic actions/reactions den.............??

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 7th, 2011, 7:37 am

nature 'will' 'find' a way... if u ever watch the first Jurrasic park movie, the jeff goldblum character explained sumthing about random acts in the universe. is not that nature would choose to get rid of something is just that the sequence of events coming from the directions at times would lead to that outcome. like if human population growth was to continue unabated we would run out of resources to sustain it, such as food, drinkable water. eventually a situation like ethiopia would happen, where only a small portion could be sustained and the rest just would not survive.

the neanderthals did not choose to be extinct, nor did nature choose them to be extinct, they were out-competed by other more efficient life forms. they could not harness the resources good enough to continue propagation. so if the need 5 persons to hunt 1 deer and they need 1 deer every two days, then they need to have at least 5 persons in that group to survive. if the other species needs 3 persons to hunt 1 deer and the need they need 1 deer every two days, then the other species could make better achievements with their resources. then when the forces of nature act up, like disease and predators, their numbers get less. the neanderthals loose the ability to sustain their populations.

the dinosaurs and the early mammals at that time. the dinosaurs were better suited to propagate their populations with the resources, competition, environment at that time. the mammals in the same situation, could only survive but not thrive. nature did not choose the dinosaurs. then when the mass extinction of the dinosaurs happened, the environmental factors changed such that the dinosaurs could not sustain their populations, but the mammals could then make better use comparatively, and succeed them.

now saying all that, i still am totally blown away when think about the question- how does choose its skin patterns? like a fish, it is dark on top, light below. we know the benefits and advantage it affords, but how dis the animal decide it is the best pattern to go with? how did it decide to try it at all? u can say that is just a set of random patterns passed down through genes, and the one that did not die out was passed down continuously, but is a color on top differing from a color below, how did it come up with that pattern to have it in the genes in the first place?
where animals don't need light, the loose that color trait. the loose it because they moved there and had it previously, and eventually it is lost through successive generations. but how do they realize that it not useful no more, it not doing any harm having it, but in not necessary, so they could have just kept it, but they loose it. how does an animal change it self, how does it decide what changes to make, how does it know to change.

coltspeed
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby coltspeed » March 7th, 2011, 9:20 am

^^ VERY TRUE. Also that's y the US government invented AIDS & 9-11 so they can take control of these major resources SO they watch as the rest of the world dies!

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » March 7th, 2011, 12:07 pm

coltspeed wrote:^^ VERY TRUE. Also that's y the US government invented AIDS & 9-11 so they can take control of these major resources SO they watch as the rest of the world dies!

is not d US government ...........is aliens!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :arrow: 0X

hahahahahha :twisted: :twisted: :D :D

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Study offers warning about next potential mass extinction

Postby adnj » January 31st, 2023, 7:36 pm

Colossal recently added $60 million in funding to move toward a 2027 de-extinction of the woolly mammoth.
The Dallas-based company is now working to edit the genes for the reincarnation of the mammal.
Colossal planned to reintroduce the woolly mammoth into Russia, but that may shift.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... y-mammoth/

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 31st, 2023, 7:38 pm

CNN

No other animal is as inexorably linked with extinction as the dodo, an odd-looking flightless bird that lived on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean until the late 17th century.

The arrival of sailors brought with them invasive species like rats and practices like hunting. They doomed the dodo, which showed no fear of humans, to extinction in the space of just a few decades.

Now, a team of scientists wants to bring back the dodo in a bold initiative that will incorporate advances in ancient DNA sequencing, gene editing technology and synthetic biology. They hope the project will open up new techniques for bird conservation.

“We’re clearly in the middle of an extinction crisis. And it’s our responsibility to bring stories and to bring excitement to people in way that motivates them to think about the extinction crisis that’s going on right now,” said Beth Shapiro, a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Shapiro is the lead paleogeneticist at Colossal Biosciences, a biotechnology and genetic engineering start-up founded by tech entrepreneur Ben Lamm and Harvard Medical School geneticist George Church, which is working on an equally ambitious projects to bring back the woolly mammoth and the thylacine, or Tasmanian tiger.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/31/worl ... index.html

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 31st, 2023, 9:48 pm

I want them to bring back the dinosaurs.

Who say curry T-rex :lol:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 31st, 2023, 10:30 pm

I wah dem bring back cartoons on a Saturday morning.

Will not get to watch it, but it would be nice to know it there.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”