BBQ question to coal or not to coal

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » July 29th, 2021, 10:19 am

dtopshottas wrote:Good day,
Where can I get those large feedbags of coals to purchase? Who has the best wood chips for smoking?

While driving I saw two places selling local coals
1) Munroe Road about 1/2 km from Southern Main Road. There is a shop with a sign outside on the right-hand side if driving from the main road to the highway.
2) Caroni Savannah Road on the left-hand side if heading North after Triple K Bakery.

For foreign coals/ wood chips - Dansteel in LA Roamin has the best selection after visiting Bhagwansingh Chaguanas and Port of Spain
- hardwood coals
- Briquettes ( natural and flavored)
- wood chips
- grilling accessories

FYI - Massy stores has IGA Briquettes for $42 ( 3.5KG bag).

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Re: BBQ question to coal or not to coal

Postby Jerry84 » October 5th, 2022, 2:57 pm

So I'm trying to refurbish my Char Broil propane grill. First thing I want to deal with is the rust that have developed on the stand/legs. My idea is to paint with black oil paint as I have some remaining from a metal project. The actual grill where takes all the heat will be painted with rustoleum high heat spray paint.

Next I want to convert from propane to lpg. Guidance is needed as to how to do this as effective and efficient as possible. I seriously thought that I could just buy the lpg regulator and hose and install. Is there more to it than just this?

Any assistance /advice would be appreciated.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » November 14th, 2022, 3:30 pm

Jerry84 wrote:So I'm trying to refurbish my Char Broil propane grill. First thing I want to deal with is the rust that have developed on the stand/legs. My idea is to paint with black oil paint as I have some remaining from a metal project. The actual grill where takes all the heat will be painted with rustoleum high heat spray paint.

Next I want to convert from propane to lpg. Guidance is needed as to how to do this as effective and efficient as possible. I seriously thought that I could just buy the lpg regulator and hose and install. Is there more to it than just this?

Any assistance /advice would be appreciated.

Conversion is just purchasing hose and regulator. Any of the major industrial hose suppliers can guide you. E.g. Trinidad hose

With respect to paint; I would say light grill and test areas which gets hot so you can know where to use normal or heat resistance paint

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 14th, 2022, 3:55 pm

often the supplied yankee hose is diff diameter than the local regulator heads
so at worst case you will need male nipple to male nipple adapter to go from factory hose to local hose and then local type regulator.
trinidad hose will have this

bossmann
Trinituner Peong

Postby bossmann » November 14th, 2022, 7:23 pm

Also you may require different jets as the size for propane and lpg is usually different due to the btu difference.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » November 15th, 2022, 12:00 pm

bossmann wrote:Also you may require different jets as the size for propane and lpg is usually different due to the btu difference.

While the lpg will burn slightly different. unfortunately you will not get jets specifically for this application as most manufacturers manufacture only propane or natural gas . Depending of company filling the propane tank they are probably filling tank the with lpg already and expecting low heat.

For past few years Ramco has been selling propane in regular cooking cylinder. They call the product Prokleen. It is slightly more expensive that regular lpg

https://ramcott.com/prokleen-with-propane-4/

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » December 29th, 2022, 9:29 pm

Soo what's the best way to get these coals ignited? Over the years I've tried everything under the sun but it was too difficult to get them started and for it to remain ignited.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 29th, 2022, 9:40 pm

some sort of combustible fuel to light & a constant electric fan facing ur coals will guarantee get them fully lit , if u in a situation that u cant plug a fan well good luck fanning with cardboard, dise presha ... obviously let d coals burn off all d fuel for a while before putting ur food on d grill or u will taste it in ur food

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 29th, 2022, 9:48 pm

francis1979 wrote:
bossmann wrote:Also you may require different jets as the size for propane and lpg is usually different due to the btu difference.

While the lpg will burn slightly different. unfortunately you will not get jets specifically for this application as most manufacturers manufacture only propane or natural gas . Depending of company filling the propane tank they are probably filling tank the with lpg already and expecting low heat.

For past few years Ramco has been selling propane in regular cooking cylinder. They call the product Prokleen. It is slightly more expensive that regular lpg

https://ramcott.com/prokleen-with-propane-4/

There is a need for different burners when switching between natural gas (NG) and liquified petroleum gas (LPG). Natural gas has a significantly lower volumetric energy (energy per unit volume).

LPG is either a mix of butane and propane or ~99%+ propane. Propane alone is used when temperatures approach freezing because butane will not change phase to a gas (evaporate) below -0.5°C.
Last edited by adnj on December 29th, 2022, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » December 29th, 2022, 9:50 pm

Rovin wrote:some sort of combustible fuel to light & a constant electric fan facing ur coals will guarantee get them fully lit , if u in a situation that u cant plug a fan well good luck fanning with cardboard, dise presha ... obviously let d coals burn off all d fuel for a while before putting ur food on d grill or u will taste it in ur food

This is what I does do all the time, I heard people say to use brown sugar but that has never worked for me.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 29th, 2022, 10:02 pm

DMan7 wrote:
Rovin wrote:some sort of combustible fuel to light & a constant electric fan facing ur coals will guarantee get them fully lit , if u in a situation that u cant plug a fan well good luck fanning with cardboard, dise presha ... obviously let d coals burn off all d fuel for a while before putting ur food on d grill or u will taste it in ur food

This is what I does do all the time, I heard people say to use brown sugar but that has never worked for me.

Dry twigs and some newspaper is how they taught me. Stack it, light it, spread it. Plenty of backyard barbecues gave me an excuse to play with fire as a kid.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » December 29th, 2022, 10:04 pm

DMan7 wrote:

I use a bit of kerosene to get it going and once I get an ember I use a hair blowdryer and within minutes is fire like that even in the most stuborn coals. Pro tip if using local coal in the plastic inner bag spread them in the sun a day before as they tend to feel kinda wet straight from the plastic

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 29th, 2022, 10:19 pm

A wick made of tissue paper and cooking oil (canola/soya bean) works well for me. Stack coals around it and use of a fan for Intensifying as necessary
DMan7 wrote:Soo what's the best way to get these coals ignited? Over the years I've tried everything under the sun but it was too difficult to get them started and for it to remain ignited.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 29th, 2022, 10:29 pm

use a chimney starter and a sardine tin with methylated spirits below
they normally recommend a ball of news paper below but the spirits is way faster but have to be careful as it’s dangerous and colour less flame

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » December 29th, 2022, 10:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestion fellas.

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » December 30th, 2022, 5:04 am

DMan7 wrote:Soo what's the best way to get these coals ignited? Over the years I've tried everything under the sun but it was too difficult to get them started and for it to remain ignited.

Chimney is best way to go.
They are available at Bhagwansingh , Peakes or Dansteel at around $300
https://youtu.be/Q90WH2_e-U8
https://youtu.be/V_tIvA8AJwk

One thing to note is that you need to ensure coals are of good quality. Some of the coals being sold are real crap and they go out after successfully lighting via any method.
For short cooks you can fight up with poor quality coals but for longer cooks I use “cowboy lump hardwood charcoal” from Bhagwansingh/ Dansteel. They are a little more expensive but reliable.
Alternatively, you can use briquettes which are more expensive that Guyana charcoal but reliable.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 30th, 2022, 6:34 am

I bought a chimney lighter in Allied some years back.Works great without having to use any chemicals

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 30th, 2022, 6:44 am

Chimney starter IMO

Carbon12
Sweet on this forum

Postby Carbon12 » December 30th, 2022, 7:10 am

Morning guys, to light coals i use a heat gun that i bought from the hardware a black and decker for around $300. Its by far the best thing i have used to light coals.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » December 30th, 2022, 7:38 am

$199 for the flame gun they use to roast duck at fair an square.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 30th, 2022, 8:59 am

chimney still the best since it will light from below and all the coals will be lit
with a flame gun you have to hold it and only the outer coals getting lit

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » December 30th, 2022, 9:13 am

Chimney works in a bind a blow dryer gets things going very fast

gtiracer
Street 2NR

Postby gtiracer » December 30th, 2022, 9:38 am

Flame thrower works extremely well, doesn't necessarily need to be held, can be propped and left for a couple mins to start. Chimney can't start fireside as well.. so a bit more versatile . Paid about $150 but i had a head and hose. Factor that in..
Screenshot_20221230-093029_Gallery.jpg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 30th, 2022, 11:33 am

in d past & recent i have drizzled cooking oil on d coals & that works well too as it doenst burn out as fast as other fuels

up to sunday gone i didnt have anything besides house paint thinners to ignite d fire & it worked good too ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 30th, 2022, 11:51 am

chimney still better because all the coals get lit from bottom up
other methods you lighting outside in so the inner ones don’t reach white hot same time so you get more coals which now start to burn and sooty
if you don’t mind that extra carbon taste and particles

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » December 30th, 2022, 12:10 pm

How do you guys put the coals out when you're finished?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » December 30th, 2022, 12:25 pm

Just let it burn out and then spread the ashes around plant roots. Good source of potash for them.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 30th, 2022, 12:42 pm

i jes throw water on d coals , nothing bad happens

so sunday gone was d 1st time my bbq come out dry , i forget to take out d meats from d freezer to defrost so it was hard like rock & had to steam it an extra long time which removed too much fat & moisture so it come out a bit dry ... i was a bit light on d salt too so 1st time i ever made a not so bess bbq ... :oops: .... :(

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 30th, 2022, 1:52 pm

AlphaMan wrote:How do you guys put the coals out when you're finished?
I does use a mini-kettle
So i choke/close the top and bottom vents and the coals will stop burning

You can reuse them also

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » December 30th, 2022, 1:57 pm

Avoid sookdeos coals realll inconsistent heat... Worst have ever used

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”