Forums

Citizen Band radio users

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Re: Citizen Band radio users

Postby alfa » June 4th, 2021, 6:06 pm

So in work we have these Motorola walkie-talkies. Being of very limited knowledge on the subject I know walkie talkies have a range of a few miles. However these can communicate clearly from deep south in the bush to almost central Trinidad. However you can only reach company people on those radios and not anyone else who might be listening like in ham. The company just gave them to us so there's no info as to the technology behind it. Is this a form of ham radio or normal CB? I like the idea of those for communicating with family members back home if you spend a weekend in the jungle without the whole world hearing you like with ham. Anyone knows what category of radios are these and if licences are needed? Could the ordinary person buy a pair from a Motorola store? Any info appreciated

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 4th, 2021, 7:25 pm

CB is a very thin slice of the HAM spectrum.
The radios that you have are likely land-mobile and use a repeater to get the extra distance.

HAM includes most of the frequencies that are used for two-way amateur including CB, land-mobile, marine, and GMRS.

Anyone can buy a two-way radio. You need a license to transmit on many of the higher powered radios and on many frequencies because of the problems that can occur with emergency communications and interference.

wildeapache1
Ricer

Postby wildeapache1 » June 11th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Anyone still has a working CB set. I decided to set up my antenna and hook up my radio to see who is out there.

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » June 12th, 2021, 5:09 am

I still have mine but I'm gonna have to rebuild an antenna cuz the old one fell apart years ago
wildeapache1 wrote:Anyone still has a working CB set. I decided to set up my antenna and hook up my radio to see who is out there.

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » June 13th, 2021, 10:49 am

You have to be careful. As said you need a license, and if I remember correctly, if TATT finds out, they can confiscate and charge you for possession of such.

wildeapache1
Ricer

Postby wildeapache1 » June 24th, 2021, 9:40 pm

A license is not required to operate a CB radio. However, a license is required to operate HAM radios

demented
Riding on 17's

Postby demented » June 25th, 2021, 3:17 pm

I have a cobra CB radio but missing the antenna. Looking for one to purchase.

wildeapache1
Ricer

Postby wildeapache1 » July 21st, 2021, 9:40 pm

Will see what I can do re the antenna. There are several options for a base station antenna. Dipole, 1/4 wave ground plane etc. You can even check online on how to make an antenna but as with all DIYs you have to test to ensure al is correct otherwise you can blow your radio due to a faulty coax and/or antenna.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”