SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Wraith King wrote:
She's East Indian being discriminated against by a member of the chimp crew so other members of the chimp crew have to support their fellow chimp.

Who is the chimp crew?
You got two threads deleted because of your foolishness and childlike behavior on a public forum designed for mature minds.
Hope you learned a lesson from that lengthy ban you got.

LOL I wasn't even banned you dumb kant.

Were you banned or something?
Yes you were banned.
Your profile had banned on it.
This forum is for adults. If you can't behave like one stay out.

Nah I wasn't banned. Not sure what you saw....maybe it was your profile?

I last posted here like 6 or 7 days ago....so wasn't banned.
You feeling embarrassed you got make out..lmao
You got banned in the 16th of October.

Lmao nah I wasn't banned. But is ok if you want to think so.
We all know you got banned.
You also got Sam1978 banned for expressing his views and also 2 useful threads were deleted because of you.
Childish behavior.
I had to call you out on it.
This forum is for adults.
Behave like one.
And stop lying. Admit you made a mistake and move on.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Re: Veera the LAWYER

Postby SuperiorMan » October 23rd, 2021, 5:13 pm

wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Who is the chimp crew?
You got two threads deleted because of your foolishness and childlike behavior on a public forum designed for mature minds.

Yes you were banned.

You also got Sam1978 banned for expressing his views and also 2 useful threads were deleted because of you.
Childish behavior.
Behave like one.

Oh crap like yuh padna (or alt account) sam got banned that is why you acting up so. Anyway now I realize. Alright dude laters.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » October 23rd, 2021, 5:20 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:You got two threads deleted because of your foolishness and childlike behavior on a public forum designed for mature minds.

Yes you were banned.

Childish behavior.
Behave like one.

Oh crap like yuh padna (or alt account) sam got banned that is why you acting up so. Anyway now I realize. Alright dude laters.
You got him banned with your childish behavior.
And no he ain't my paddna.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » October 23rd, 2021, 7:00 pm

wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Who is the chimp crew?

Yes you were banned.

Childish behavior.
Behave like one.

I got banned for a week with the cause being “spamming the forums” . I was replying to statements being made and still don’t know what the reason given means. Anybody can check and see if the conversations that were going on had anything to do with spamming.

Whichever moderator banned me is illiterate and was just suppressing free speech. Trinituner has become just like Trinidad and the moderators behaving like Rowlee. I said it before and I’ll say it again , it’s a club of hens here that encourage some to carry on with their hemisphere actions and penalize others.

The last time I was banned for calling someone the same thing he called me, but because he has some money and called on someone in the hen club, I was banned.

I rather take ban than join the hen club to get their approval though. I could never be a mamaman and bow to them . I believe in freedom of speech.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » October 23rd, 2021, 7:10 pm

sam1978 wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:You got two threads deleted because of your foolishness and childlike behavior on a public forum designed for mature minds.

Yes you were banned.

Childish behavior.
Behave like one.

I got banned for a week with the cause being “spamming the forums” . I was replying to statements being made and still don’t know what the reason given means. Anybody can check and see if the conversations that were going on had anything to do with spamming.

Whichever moderator banned me is illiterate and was just suppressing free speech. Trinituner has become just like Trinidad and the moderators behaving like Rowlee. I said it before and I’ll say it again , it’s a club of hens here that encourage some to carry on with their hemisphere actions and penalize others.

The last time I was banned for calling someone the same thing he called me, but because he has some money and called on someone in the hen club, I was banned.

I rather take ban than join the hen club to get their approval though. I could never be a mamaman and bow to them . I believe in freedom of speech.
Yea bro. SuperiorMan also got banned but he denies it.
He also got your thread as well as mines deleted.
Lots of interesting comments were on those threads...
Stay away from those little kids. You'll be fine.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » October 23rd, 2021, 8:42 pm

This is the ole talk forum but being censored by egg layers. They want to control free speech.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 23rd, 2021, 9:18 pm

sam1978 wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Yes you were banned.

Childish behavior.
Behave like one.

hahahahhahahahahaha

cry more.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » October 23rd, 2021, 10:58 pm

Superiorhen.

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » October 24th, 2021, 12:48 am

Mmoney607 wrote:Why is a good man like Kiel Taklalsingh representing the EOT? Is this a misprint by the express or have new facts emerged in this matter?

OK back to the topic of the thread. Kiel Taklalsingh is a winning lawyer how he end up on the same legal team as a loser like Ramesh?

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » October 24th, 2021, 7:20 am

SuperiorMan wrote:
Wraith King wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Redman wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Redman wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Redman wrote:Yet you're the one who has decided the outcome without knowledge of the facts.

Blather on.

Yep, still dotish.
Still content to fritter away YOUR money on SC and litigation, when the common sense solution is right there. Your defense of a $300 M useless TAR shows your penchant for defending any and all things LFD RFD PNM. Carry on brownnosed sheep.

How would a common sense solution fix the problem, if it is one that exist elsewhere or with the legislation?
It would change things how?
You know the 'solution' without knowing the facts of the case.

Keep hurling insults and bringing in other matters to bolster your position.

Nothing new.

The facts are well known to any non LFD RFD PNM slave who wishes to see it.
Lemme use small, and less words

Duly appointed, ignored for months, forced to file suit, no money claim, matter listed, EOC story changes.

Like any disaster, there were several opportunities to avert the final outcome, in this case litigation, which Veera will surely not lose, but the EOC and it's Chairman chose antagonism, not reconciliation. If, as Colos is claiming they feel that they have a case, they can file a matter seeking an interpretation like the one that the LFD RFD PNM star boy AG lost handsomely last week, no matter how he tries to spin it.

Whether they have a case will be decided upon.
And you just know what was published.
Which of course lines up with Veeras side.
And you off to the races with that with all the hyperbole of a wanna be victim.

If the chair do crap then let it be dealt with by the court.
They think they have a case.They might be right.

Caca Colos, I have no horse in this race. Anyone BUT a dotish, slavish LFD RFD PNM stoolie like you would see that she is being treated unfairly by a high handed LFD RFD PNM appointed toady.
They already lost round one btw, as the Justice threw out their motion to dismiss the judicial review granted to Ms. Bhajan.
Of course, another opportunity goes begging as they are now appealing, and spending more of that facking SC money that they don't have to pay an employee :roll:
Continue to whiteknight for Prowell, she might give yuh ah bag contract :lol:

She's East Indian being discriminated against by a member of the chimp crew so other members of the chimp crew have to support their fellow chimp.

Who is the chimp crew?

You're trying to get me banned just like how you were but I'll play along.

Keith was talking about imps, pimps and chimps. So Keith knows who members of the chimp crew are. It's a list of names in Balisier House under the heading "PNM membership".

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » October 24th, 2021, 7:26 am

Speaking of the chimp crew, where is Habit7? I heard he discovered his wife was cheating and he's really taking it on. Not because his wife was unfaithful but because a man was being physically intimidate with his wife and not him. Redman, MaxPower, RedVEVO, Mero and SuperiorMan, this is the opportunity you all been looking for.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 24th, 2021, 10:17 am

Wraith King wrote:Speaking of the chimp crew, where is Habit7? I heard he discovered his wife was cheating and he's really taking it on. Not because his wife was unfaithful but because a man was being physically intimidate with his wife and not him. Redman, MaxPower, RedVEVO, Mero and SuperiorMan, this is the opportunity you all been looking for.

But you said Habit was a jamaican woman with your alt account??

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 31st, 2021, 9:45 pm

Wraith King wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Wraith King wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Redman wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Redman wrote:
De Dragon wrote:Yep, still dotish.
Still content to fritter away YOUR money on SC and litigation, when the common sense solution is right there. Your defense of a $300 M useless TAR shows your penchant for defending any and all things LFD RFD PNM. Carry on brownnosed sheep.

How would a common sense solution fix the problem, if it is one that exist elsewhere or with the legislation?
It would change things how?
You know the 'solution' without knowing the facts of the case.

Keep hurling insults and bringing in other matters to bolster your position.

Nothing new.

The facts are well known to any non LFD RFD PNM slave who wishes to see it.
Lemme use small, and less words

Duly appointed, ignored for months, forced to file suit, no money claim, matter listed, EOC story changes.

Like any disaster, there were several opportunities to avert the final outcome, in this case litigation, which Veera will surely not lose, but the EOC and it's Chairman chose antagonism, not reconciliation. If, as Colos is claiming they feel that they have a case, they can file a matter seeking an interpretation like the one that the LFD RFD PNM star boy AG lost handsomely last week, no matter how he tries to spin it.

Whether they have a case will be decided upon.
And you just know what was published.
Which of course lines up with Veeras side.
And you off to the races with that with all the hyperbole of a wanna be victim.

If the chair do crap then let it be dealt with by the court.
They think they have a case.They might be right.

Caca Colos, I have no horse in this race. Anyone BUT a dotish, slavish LFD RFD PNM stoolie like you would see that she is being treated unfairly by a high handed LFD RFD PNM appointed toady.
They already lost round one btw, as the Justice threw out their motion to dismiss the judicial review granted to Ms. Bhajan.
Of course, another opportunity goes begging as they are now appealing, and spending more of that facking SC money that they don't have to pay an employee :roll:
Continue to whiteknight for Prowell, she might give yuh ah bag contract :lol:

Who is the chimp crew?

You're trying to get me banned just like how you were but I'll play along.

Keith was talking about imps, pimps and chimps. So Keith knows who members of the chimp crew are. It's a list of names in Balisier House under the heading "PNM membership".

You feel that doing anything?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » November 10th, 2021, 10:18 am

Veera Bhajan's discrimination lawsuit to proceed

AN Appeal Court judge has ruled the Equal Opportunity Tribunal (EOT) and its chairman failed to establish any “special circumstances” to justify the staying of the lawsuit brought against it by lay assessor Veera Bhajan over her not being able to take up her position.

As a result, Friday's trial will proceed as directed by the trial judge.

The EOT and chairman Donna Prowell-Raphael had asked for a stay of the proceedings before Justice Avason Quinlan-Williams to appeal her refusal to hear their application to set aside the permission she gave Bhajan to advance her judicial review claim.

In a written ruling on Tuesday, Justice of Appeal Malcolm Holdip agreed with the submissions by Bhajan’s attorneys and the Attorney General that was he was asked to do would only serve to “delay” the short, fixed timeline to trial set by Quinlan-Williams.

Bhajan’s lawsuit will go on trial on Friday. Holdip also reminded that the Court of Appeal does not lightly interfere with a first instance court’s case management decision.

He said the EOT and its chairman failed to identify any consequence of the rolled-up hearing of both Bhajan’s judicial review claim and the challenge to the permission she received from the judge to advance her lawsuit. He said if a stay was granted, it would deprive Bhajan of a timely determination of her claim since written submissions had already been filed and exchanged and all that was left was the hearing on Friday.

In her ruling, Quinlan-Williams said she will hear the setting-aside application together with Bhajan’s claim when the matter goes to trial on November 12.

In their setting-aside application, the EOT and Prowell-Raphael complained that Bhajan, in her ex-parte application for leave, left out critical information.

Bhajan was granted the court’s permission to challenge a decision by the EOT and Prowell-Raphael not to comply with an appointment by President Paula-Mae Weekes and let her take up her position.

The setting-aside application also alleged that the judicial review claim was premature, since the tribunal remains inoperable because of the covid19 pandemic and other infrastructural problems.

In its appeal against Quinlan-Williams’s order, the EOT and its chairman are challenging her decision to hear both matters together in November.

The appeal alleges bias on part of the judge. They said their setting-aside application was likely to succeed and the judge was required to hear it, give a ruling on it and then hear the claim for judicial review if they were unsuccessful in getting her to reverse her permission to Bhajan to pursue her claim.

Bhajan is represented by a team of attorneys led by Alvin Fitzpatrick, SC, which includes Rajiv Persad, Michael Rooplal, Shari Fitzpatrick, Rajiv Chaitoo, Clay Hackett and Gabriel Hernandez.

Representing the EOT and its chairman are Senior Counsel Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and attorneys Kiel Taklalsingh, Leon Kalicharan, and Karina Singh.

The Attorney General is represented by Rishi Dass, Svetlana Dass, and Karissa Singh.

The matter before Holdip was also dismissed with costs which means the EOT and its chairman will have to pay for Bhajan and the AG’s costs for defending the stay application.

In its setting-aside application, the EOT and its chairman also complained that Bhajan omitted to provide the court with pertinent information about her appointment, and failing to do so gave her an unfair advantage when leave was being considered.

She was accused of failing to provide her resume to show she had the requisite experience for the position of lay assessor, and maintain her appointment was ultra vires.

It also said Bhajan failed to tell the court at the leave stage she was engaged in other paid work, despite her saying she had to close down her private law practice to take up the lay-assessor appointment.

In support of the argument that the legal action was premature, Prowell-Raphael also went on affidavit to say it was not in dispute that the tribunal was closed and not functional, owing to logistical and infrastructural challenges. Prowell-Raphael maintained that Bhajan was told she could not assume duties until the tribunal was reopened and functional.

Bhajan, an attorney, received a three-year appointment on March 17. She says she has been unable to take up the job since she took her oath, has not been given any information, is being treated with “scant regard,” and has not been paid for six months.

Bhajan, who was awarded the Hummingbird Medal (Silver) in 2011, says she is being blocked from taking up the position and has accused the EOT and its chairman of acting in bad faith and in excess of their jurisdiction, depriving her of a legitimate expectation by failing to comply with the law.

Bhajan, who was born without arms, said after receiving her instrument of appointment, she tried to contact the tribunal several times by phone and e-mail about beginning her work there.

She said she was eventually told the tribunal did not have the “logistic and or financial wherewithal” to accommodate another lay assessor.

Bhajan maintains she remains lawfully appointed by the President as lay assessor of the EOT and has not been fired, nor has her appointment been revoked by any court or by the Equal Opportunity Act. She will be asking the court to make several declarations that the acts of the tribunal and its chairman were null and void and go against the law.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2021/11/10/veera- ... o-proceed/

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » November 10th, 2021, 1:21 pm

The_Honourable wrote:Veera Bhajan's discrimination lawsuit to proceed

AN Appeal Court judge has ruled the Equal Opportunity Tribunal (EOT) and its chairman failed to establish any “special circumstances” to justify the staying of the lawsuit brought against it by lay assessor Veera Bhajan over her not being able to take up her position.

As a result, Friday's trial will proceed as directed by the trial judge.

The EOT and chairman Donna Prowell-Raphael had asked for a stay of the proceedings before Justice Avason Quinlan-Williams to appeal her refusal to hear their application to set aside the permission she gave Bhajan to advance her judicial review claim.

In a written ruling on Tuesday, Justice of Appeal Malcolm Holdip agreed with the submissions by Bhajan’s attorneys and the Attorney General that was he was asked to do would only serve to “delay” the short, fixed timeline to trial set by Quinlan-Williams.

Bhajan’s lawsuit will go on trial on Friday. Holdip also reminded that the Court of Appeal does not lightly interfere with a first instance court’s case management decision.

He said the EOT and its chairman failed to identify any consequence of the rolled-up hearing of both Bhajan’s judicial review claim and the challenge to the permission she received from the judge to advance her lawsuit. He said if a stay was granted, it would deprive Bhajan of a timely determination of her claim since written submissions had already been filed and exchanged and all that was left was the hearing on Friday.

In her ruling, Quinlan-Williams said she will hear the setting-aside application together with Bhajan’s claim when the matter goes to trial on November 12.

In their setting-aside application, the EOT and Prowell-Raphael complained that Bhajan, in her ex-parte application for leave, left out critical information.

Bhajan was granted the court’s permission to challenge a decision by the EOT and Prowell-Raphael not to comply with an appointment by President Paula-Mae Weekes and let her take up her position.

The setting-aside application also alleged that the judicial review claim was premature, since the tribunal remains inoperable because of the covid19 pandemic and other infrastructural problems.

In its appeal against Quinlan-Williams’s order, the EOT and its chairman are challenging her decision to hear both matters together in November.

The appeal alleges bias on part of the judge. They said their setting-aside application was likely to succeed and the judge was required to hear it, give a ruling on it and then hear the claim for judicial review if they were unsuccessful in getting her to reverse her permission to Bhajan to pursue her claim.

Bhajan is represented by a team of attorneys led by Alvin Fitzpatrick, SC, which includes Rajiv Persad, Michael Rooplal, Shari Fitzpatrick, Rajiv Chaitoo, Clay Hackett and Gabriel Hernandez.

Representing the EOT and its chairman are Senior Counsel Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and attorneys Kiel Taklalsingh, Leon Kalicharan, and Karina Singh.

The Attorney General is represented by Rishi Dass, Svetlana Dass, and Karissa Singh.

The matter before Holdip was also dismissed with costs which means the EOT and its chairman will have to pay for Bhajan and the AG’s costs for defending the stay application.

In its setting-aside application, the EOT and its chairman also complained that Bhajan omitted to provide the court with pertinent information about her appointment, and failing to do so gave her an unfair advantage when leave was being considered.

She was accused of failing to provide her resume to show she had the requisite experience for the position of lay assessor, and maintain her appointment was ultra vires.

It also said Bhajan failed to tell the court at the leave stage she was engaged in other paid work, despite her saying she had to close down her private law practice to take up the lay-assessor appointment.

In support of the argument that the legal action was premature, Prowell-Raphael also went on affidavit to say it was not in dispute that the tribunal was closed and not functional, owing to logistical and infrastructural challenges. Prowell-Raphael maintained that Bhajan was told she could not assume duties until the tribunal was reopened and functional.

Bhajan, an attorney, received a three-year appointment on March 17. She says she has been unable to take up the job since she took her oath, has not been given any information, is being treated with “scant regard,” and has not been paid for six months.

Bhajan, who was awarded the Hummingbird Medal (Silver) in 2011, says she is being blocked from taking up the position and has accused the EOT and its chairman of acting in bad faith and in excess of their jurisdiction, depriving her of a legitimate expectation by failing to comply with the law.

Bhajan, who was born without arms, said after receiving her instrument of appointment, she tried to contact the tribunal several times by phone and e-mail about beginning her work there.

She said she was eventually told the tribunal did not have the “logistic and or financial wherewithal” to accommodate another lay assessor.

Bhajan maintains she remains lawfully appointed by the President as lay assessor of the EOT and has not been fired, nor has her appointment been revoked by any court or by the Equal Opportunity Act. She will be asking the court to make several declarations that the acts of the tribunal and its chairman were null and void and go against the law.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2021/11/10/veera- ... o-proceed/

:rofl: :rofl:
Candle costs seem to be approaching funeral costs..........

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » November 10th, 2021, 10:32 pm

Imagine the equal opportunity commission being sued for discrimination...what a $hit show.

Only in PNM cuntry yes...

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 10th, 2021, 10:51 pm

Gladiator wrote:Imagine the equal opportunity commission being sued for discrimination...what a $hit show.

We live in a non democratic state.

All bodies and commissions are full red government from President to cepep

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » November 11th, 2021, 7:50 pm

Gladiator wrote:Imagine the equal opportunity commission being sued for discrimination...what a $hit show.

Anytime you have arseholes like Prowell, in fact ANY LFD RFD PNM flunkey, you will get this type of nonsense. SC money on case, SC money on appeal, SC money for costs for unsuccessful case/appeal, but you cannot pay the person their money :?
Then again kants like Red Colostomy Bag say dais orright, because Veera eh black or the UNC eh in power :roll:

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 12th, 2021, 7:19 am

Look dumbass trying to plant race in the mix

Blather much?

Veera getting her day in court...with the President and AG supporting her right to do so.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 12th, 2021, 8:15 am

Redman wrote:Look dumbass trying to plant race in the mix

Blather much?

Veera getting her day in court...with the President and AG supporting her right to do so.

President and AG know very well what they doing, every thing in the red government is to use the a fixed local court in favor of the red government.

It is pure racist

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 12th, 2021, 8:40 am

Look Dumbass and Zoombandras trying to plant race in the mix.

Tyrannical Govahment letting the lady have her day in court.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 12th, 2021, 8:44 am

Redman wrote:Look Dumbass and Zoombandras trying to plant race in the mix.

Tyrannical Govahment letting the lady have her day in court.

u real beating up today racist Cont that you are

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 12th, 2021, 8:51 am

Well yuh say I was real quiet....now yuh find Im busy.

Happy Friday Zoombandras....

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 12th, 2021, 10:09 am

Redman wrote:Well yuh say I was real quiet....now yuh find Im busy.

You red government conts are all the same, apply racism and then say let the local one sided courts decide. Only when it goes to the privy council then we can expect an unbiased ruling.

Same as the CJ Sharma and Sat radio station case and various other racism cases.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 12th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Any of you willing to give her a hand?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 12th, 2021, 2:36 pm

timelapse wrote:Any of you willing to give her a hand?
Certainly not Redman and the rest of red government Conts.

They praying she looses

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » November 12th, 2021, 4:58 pm

timelapse wrote:Any of you willing to give her a hand?

Not cool bro. That humour is a little too dark for me and I don't like much dark things.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 13th, 2021, 8:20 am

zoom rader wrote:

You red government conts are all the same, apply racism and then say let the local one sided courts decide. Only when it goes to the privy council then we can expect an unbiased ruling.

Same as the CJ Sharma and Sat radio station case and various other racism cases.

So a racially mixed EOT hires a largely indian team to defend against a case against an Indian...to support the racial policy of the Party that awarded the same Veera the national awards and scholarships.

Yep you firing on all cylinders.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » November 13th, 2021, 9:15 am

Redman wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

So a racially mixed EOT hires a largely indian team to defend against a case against an Indian...to support the racial policy of the Party that awarded the same Veera the national awards and scholarships.

Yep you firing on all cylinders.
Just as cro cro said they have lick bottom Africans its the same within the red government and those tainted entities.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » November 13th, 2021, 10:30 am

Blows for EOT chair in discrimination trial: 'Shameful, disgraceful conduct'

"SHAMEFUL" and "disgraceful" were just some of the words used to describe the failure by the chairman of the Equal Opportunity Tribunal (EOT) to give effect to the presidential appointment of lay assessor Veera Bhajan.

The tribunal chairman, attorney Donna Prowell-Raphael, was accused on Friday of stymieing Bhajan’s attempts to take up her position since March 17, when Bhajan was first appointed.

The accusations were made at the trial of Bhajan's lawsuit against the EoT, Prowell-Raphael, and the Attorney General.

Presiding over Bhajan’s judicial review application and claim – as the matter is being heard in a rolled-up hearing – is Justice Avason Quinlan-Williams, who will give her decision on November 23.

Bhajan’s lead attorney Alvin Fitzpatrick, SC, said Prowell-Raphael's claim that she and the tribunal tried to facilitate Bhajan's appointment were “simply untrue and disingenuous.”

He slammed Prowell-Raphael for failing to disclose she was making “active attempts” to have Bhajan’s appointment terminated on baseless grounds.

Fitzpatrick pointed to an April 6 letter Prowell-Raphael sent to President Paula-Mae Weekes, in which she sought to have Bhajan’s appointment revoked on the basis of her disability. He raised the possibility of Prowell-Raphael being biased against Bhajan by virtue of this letter,

Bhajan who was born without arms, is an attorney and a national awardee. Weekes appointed her for three years as one of the tribunal’s lay assessors.

“Here you have the chairman of the EOT, a body set up by Parliament to protect against discrimination of the disabled, seeking to have the appointment terminated on the basis of Bhajan's disability.”

Bhajan claims she has been unable to take up the job since she took her oath, has not been given any information, is being treated with “scant regard,” and has not been paid for six months.

Bhajan said after receiving her instruments, she tried to contact the tribunal several times by phone and e-mail on when she could take up her post.She said she was eventually told the tribunal did not have the “logistics and/or financial wherewithal” to accommodate another lay assessor.

Fitzpatrick said the tribunal's explanations were “shallow, disingenuous and shameful,” especially since the tribunal continues to operate virtually.

“The building might be closed, but the business of the tribunal does not stop…and ought not to stop.”

He said on its own evidence, there were 19 active matters before the tribunal.

Fitzpatrick pointed out that even the Attorney General agreed there were serious constitutional breaches.

RESPECT PRESIDENT'S DECISION

The AG's attorney Rishi Dass said it was important for the decision of the President to be respected.

“It is unacceptable for any public officer to disregard (it), and for this lengthy period. You don’t get to flout the decision, you come to the court and challenge it.”

He said there was an obligation for the EoT to be properly constituted with two lay assessors, and to uphold and respect the rights of the appointee and the presidential appointment.

“The Office of the President bent over backward to ensure that the appointment was effected. The office of the AG attempted, at the last minute, to ensure it doesn’t reach the court, because of the damage to the tribunal.

“Now that it is reached here, we have statements that were made that you will have to deal with that are distasteful,” Dass told Quinlan-Williams.

He added, “The Office of the President was incredulous at the explanation on the bias point."

Dass accepted that Bhajan would be entitled to the declarations as well as an order for damages for salary and an assessment on the protection of the law she was entitled to.

“It is unfortunate that the Attorney General will have to be responsible for making that payment, but she should get the full measure of damages.”

On vindicatory damages to express the court’s condemnation, he said he did not believe them necessary but would be guided by the court's decision.

RIGHT TO EXPRESS CONCERN

In his submissions, attorney for Prowell-Raphael and the tribunal, Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, SC, said he accepted the AG’s position on the role of public institutions, but maintained that a public officer is entitled to express concerns about an appointment.

He said on the first instrument of appointment, Prowell-Raphael made representations and the instrument was corrected after it was pointed out that Bhajan did not have ten years' experience as an attorney.

It was later amended to include her experience in social work. However, he said the law provides for an appointee to have experience in social welfare, which Bhajan did not have. He said this is a genuine concern.

Maharaj also said the tribunal and its chairman’s evidence of infrastructural and financial constraints were not challenged and the court must accept it as fact.

Questioned by Quinlan-Williams whether it was possible for Bhajan to take up the appointment, especially as the national budget had been read recently, Maharaj said the EoT’s budget had been reduced. He also said there were no improvements to the logistical problems.

He was also questioned on the claim that the tribunal only needed one lay assessor at present.

Quinlan-Williams asked: "So one may be overworked… Did that raise concerns at all in your mind?"

Maharaj said it would be difficult for the court to review the decisions of an authority taking actions to solve logistical problems with scarce financial resources.

Quinlan-Williams further pressed: "I want clarification: the tribunal is non-functional, based on the evidence of the chairman. Are the lay assessor and the chairman being paid while the court is non-functional?"

Maharaj said he assumed they were, as they were appointed “for a long time.”

He said the court could not close its eyes to the evidence of the tribunal and its chairman on the problems it faced. Maharaj pointed to Prowell-Raphael’s affidavit, where she also raised concerns about proposed appointees, but did not get an opportunity before Bhajan’s appointment was made.

TRIBUNAL'S PROBLEMS

Maharaj listed some of the problems identified in Prowell-Raphael's affidavit.

She said the tribunal has not been able to hear any matters and the building cannot facilitate virtual hearings because it has no internet and does not allow for physical distancing because of limited space.

Prowell-Raphael, Maharaj said, maintained that Bhajan was told she could not assume work until the tribunal was reopened and functioning.

The tribunal has complained of scarce financial resources and its chairman has gone begging to the Chief Justice and two government ministers for additional funding and space to hold virtual hearings.

The tribunal's office at Manic Street in Chaguanas, also has no electrical certification, as its meter was removed after an electrical burnout.

The affidavit also said the now non-functional elevator has, in the past, stuck between floors and there were plans to relocate the tribunal to the Waterfront Centre in Port of Spain.

Representing the EOT and its chairman are Senior Counsel Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and attorneys Kiel Taklalsingh, Leon Kalicharan and Karina Singh.

The Attorney General is represented by Rishi Dass, Tenille Ramkissoon, Svetlana Dass and Karissa Singh.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2021/11/13/blows- ... l-conduct/

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”