Forums

||| The Eyewear Thread ; Glasses, Contacts, Shades |||

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: ||| The Eyewear Thread ; Glasses, Contacts, Shades |||

Postby hindian » January 25th, 2021, 5:08 pm

Bumping this thread. Anybody knows where I can get a pair of Maui Jim's repaired? A co worker sat in my car and it was on the passenger seat and one of the ear pieces broke. I tried Ray cool but no luck...

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » August 24th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Team,

Where has the best service and latest technology for Optical services?

Passed through Optometrist Today and Ferreira already and was looking at other options.

trinigamer
Trinituner Peong

Postby trinigamer » August 24th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Pricesmart has new equipment, its free if you are a member.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 17th, 2022, 1:06 pm

Is it true that you can get glasses for like $500 TT or less online? A coworker of mine said she got it landed for that price. I am talking including transitions and perhaps even progressive lenses for a similar price.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 17th, 2022, 1:14 pm

yeah glasses don't cost much. The professional services and use of equipment do. But they have to switch it around for the business model to work or else not many people would be able to afford eye health care.

Wouldn't recommend high prescriptions to be filled online though because nobody guaranteeing anything for you online. Glasses are medical prescriptions. Getting it wrong will have consequences.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » October 17th, 2022, 1:31 pm

redmanjp wrote:Is it true that you can get glasses for like $500 TT or less online? A coworker of mine said she got it landed for that price. I am talking including transitions and perhaps even progressive lenses for a similar price.

Yeah, I've been buying my glasses online for 15 years. Before I needed bifocals they cost $90-250TT landed depending on the frames I chose, being a cheapskate, I chose the cheap ones..

With bifocals/progressives, incl coatings, it could start at $400 TT landed depending on frames and coatings selected.

You'll need to get your prescription to upload.

I have literally a dozen pair of glasses and tested shades lying around. Some at the office too.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » October 17th, 2022, 2:26 pm

Online is the shot I go to self same Ferriera's get the prescription they didnt wanna give me the peripheral distance went somewhere else and got that went to Zennioptical got mystuff went bi-focal instead of progressives saved mad money ... Anyhow got a question for a while now.

Where locally can I get prescriptions put on a fresh pair of shades?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 17th, 2022, 3:17 pm

Pricesmart has free testing for members (you can bring multiple people on one membership card) and they give you your prescription and peripheral distance (PD). You can use it to buy glasses online at Zenni etc

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 17th, 2022, 5:16 pm

dogg wrote:
redmanjp wrote:Is it true that you can get glasses for like $500 TT or less online? A coworker of mine said she got it landed for that price. I am talking including transitions and perhaps even progressive lenses for a similar price.

Yeah, I've been buying my glasses online for 15 years. Before I needed bifocals they cost $90-250TT landed depending on the frames I chose, being a cheapskate, I chose the cheap ones..

With bifocals/progressives, incl coatings, it could start at $400 TT landed depending on frames and coatings selected.

I have literally a dozen pair of glasses and tested shades lying around. Some at the office too.

wow. so these glasses are just as durable as the local ones they selling for $3-4000 ?

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » October 17th, 2022, 6:15 pm

redmanjp wrote:
dogg wrote:

wow. so these glasses are just as durable as the local ones they selling for $3-4000 ?

Breds, I have a few pairs over 10yrs now.
In case you think i joking, here a just a few I gathered up.
Lulz. I think I have more than a dozen TBH. Some in the car and at the office.
I figure I spent no more than $1800TT landed for these
Attachments
20221017.jpg

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 17th, 2022, 6:20 pm

So we are essentially being ripped off by these local places.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 17th, 2022, 6:27 pm

well why u don't get your eye test online too if that's the case?

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » October 17th, 2022, 6:53 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Pricesmart has free testing for members (you can bring multiple people on one membership card) and they give you your prescription and peripheral distance (PD). You can use it to buy glasses online at Zenni etc

Damn I went by courts because price smart had appointments that weren’t working out for me and I needed the glasses urgently but they don’t give out the prescription. Guess I’ll go price smart next time

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » October 17th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Durability ... fellahs please no problems with Zenni's frames even if they were flimsy they cost so much less wont matter if u changed them every year ... my last pair of glasses cost me 115USD they are bifocals (ah ole i know) ... transitions ... anti glare and anti fogging (anti fog is lacklustre).

As for the prescription itself when my first Zenni prescription came in I had two people in my office and I put them on ... I was seeing the pores and creases in these folks faces and heads ... I quickly put my old glasses in a case and never put them on.

My old frames were progressive with 4D lenses cost me about 6k you saving real money ... when i was last in Ferriera's to get my eyes checked I overhead the sales person tell a customer transitions is 500TTD extra ... these folks aint robbing us they bending us over with no vaseline maybe some of allyuh fellahs like that to each their own but i aint in that

So anyone know who grinds prescription into sunglasses?

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 17th, 2022, 8:56 pm

So those online stores have brand name ones? That probably accounts for a good part of the cost locally.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 17th, 2022, 9:17 pm

Bestbuyeyeglasses.com
Gooptic.com
Framesdirect.com

Are some I have used over the past 20yrs.
Even good ole Ebay after I found a frame on a site and then had a bargain on the bay.

There are only 3-4 main manufacturers of frames in the world. Marchon is one and they slap the brands you pay premium prices for when the no name ones come out the same factory with no different process being added!

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » October 18th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Pricesmart has free testing for members (you can bring multiple people on one membership card) and they give you your prescription and peripheral distance (PD). You can use it to buy glasses online at Zenni etc

Yeah? I never knew this. Where is it done? at the store itself?

Where else can you get discounts using your pricesmart membership? I use it at Payless and Carsearch. Do you know of anywhere else?

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

||| The Eyewear Thread ; Glasses, Contacts, Shades |||

Postby ruffrider27 » October 18th, 2022, 1:32 pm

IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4292.JPG

Recently got these , Giorgio Armani interchangeable clip on shades , real good shades over my prescription lens , cost over $750 usd .

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » October 18th, 2022, 2:12 pm

ruffrider27 wrote:
Recently got these , Giorgio Armani interchangeable clip on shades , real good shades over my prescription lens , cost over $750 usd .

The brandless prescription lensed shades I posted above^^^ cost ~$75.00TT total.
It's been going strong 11 years now.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » October 22nd, 2022, 12:40 am

ruffrider27 wrote:IMG_4293.JPGIMG_4291.JPGIMG_4292.JPG

Hey I have this as well :lol:

Don Dada
Street 2NR

Postby Don Dada » October 31st, 2022, 2:14 pm

Where is the BEST place to go get your eyes tested with updated equipment and purchase also ?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 31st, 2022, 7:44 pm

Anybody have tips on how to reattach a spring loaded glasses handle? The screw came off,I found it,then realized that I can't just screw it back on because the hole not lining up.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 31st, 2022, 7:58 pm

You need 3 hands. Or a small clamp or vice to hold the frame. During the entire process it's very easy to break the spring hinge if you are not careful.

Straighten a small paper clip/pin and push it through the spring hinge hole and pull. Now there's a gap behind where the spring used to be. Use a 2nd paper clip to wedge into that space behind to stop the spring from sliding back.

Then carefully align the the hole into the frame that you gently clamped and get the screw in with your micro driver. You really need some patience and a bit of skill. After, you can apply a tiny dab of clear nail polish on the screw so it won't come out again.

If the entire hinge is shielded with no gaps so the above cannot work, you need to carry it to the store where they will send it to their local lab to repair. They remove the entire hinge and weld on a new one.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 31st, 2022, 8:05 pm

maj. tom wrote:You need 3 hands. Or a small clamp or vice to hold the frame. During the entire process it's very easy to break the spring hinge if you are not careful.

Straighten a small paper clip/pin and push it through the spring hinge hole and pull. Now there's a gap behind where the spring used to be. Use a 2nd paper clip to wedge into that space behind to stop the spring from sliding back.

Then carefully align the the hole into the frame that you gently clamped and get the screw in with your micro driver. You really need some patience and a bit of skill. After, you can apply a tiny dab of clear nail polish on the screw so it won't come out again.

If the entire hinge is shielded with no gaps so the above cannot work, you need to carry it to the store where they will send it to their local lab to repair. They remove the entire hinge and weld on a new one.
Will try and let you know.Thanks

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”