Forums

Gaming Headsets & Audiophile Headphones Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: Gaming Headsets & Audiophile Headphones Thread

Postby kamakazi » November 16th, 2018, 9:23 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Any sort of audio processing is always a gimmick, I recently bought a Sennheiser Jubile 58X from Massdrop and I have concluded that this is about the limit of the human hearing. It basically sounds just like a Sennheiser HD 660

As I played Hunt Showdown and I tried all sorts of Dolby Processing options in my sound card it became apparent that the sound stage is best and most accurate when everything is turned off. Again reinforcing the point made by every audiophile that all processing is a gimmick and makes the audio sound worse and not how it was intended to sound.

When you have proper high end headphones you then appreciate the natural true recording of music and you would never use a gaming headset or processing ever in your life again.

If you are on a budget buy from Massdrop, or get the Audio Technicas from Amazon, do not ever buy gaming headsets or dolby headsets you will be wasting your money on marketing gimmicks. If a mic is your issue then buy a attachable mod mic
I understand what you are trying to say.... But.... All audio goes through processing of some kind... Unless you are Live for the performance. Any voice recording has to pass through a microphone before it becomes an audio signal, which is then processed (I am using this term a bit loosely as I'm not a sound engineer) before being reproduced on any medium or device.
Someone mentioned vinyl... But that to has its limitations.

I know, up to some level, people who call themselves audiophiles or buy audiophile level equipment are fooling themselves.
I accept it for what it is... Processing like any tool, can be used perfectly or misused.

I enjoy audio that has been processed well.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » November 16th, 2018, 9:39 pm

This isn't true about people fooling themselves, yes people fool themselves with things like hundred dollar cable etc. But generally there is a noticeable difference when comparing things like high quality DAC for example sometimes you are not looking for a DAC that is cleaner than your current DAC but you are infact looking for a DAC that is brighter or more forward than your current DAC. In my case I like darker more laid back expansive sound which is why I only use open back sennheiser like the Jubilee 58X / HD 660 and why I have stuck with my Asus Xonar sound card even though it doesn't use burr brown DAC I do not like the sound signature of burr brown I prefer cirrus logic

Onboard audio is horrible I have tested this multiple times, a cheap Asus Xonar DG sound card is far superior than any onboard DAC built into your mother board and no those fancy onboard DAC with the expensive gold capacitors for audio isn't good either.
But offcourse you need good headphones to hear the difference, any $100 USD headphone can tell the difference between onboard and a good quality DAC / Headphone Amp.

The $85 to $100 USD price point is the cut off point for noticeable difference in headphones for most people. There is a small upgrade from my HD 555 to my Jubile 58X and HD 660 even though the HD 660 is $450 USD and the HD 555 was $95 USD. The question is does this huge diminishing return worth it for you? for me yup all the way cause the Jubile is only $150 USD which happens to be a HD 660.

headphones below the $85 price point are generally very bad for what you get with the exception of the old phillips shp 9500 which is now discontinued.

If you listen to pink floyd and other great quality artists you will understand the importance of audiophile and only then you will appreciate it. This cannot be appreciated with any music especially modern pop music which is just trash overall.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » November 16th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Then there is the experience of smoking Cannabis and listening to music which completely changes everything as music suddenly becomes far more enjoyable your senses increase tenfold and you notice things in music you never noticed, you get closer to the recording you suddenly dive into the recording studio, a bit like the Audio version of VR, this effect cannot be experienced without marijuana no matter how good your audio equipment is. But we live in an Anti Science, dotish and illiterate country so we can't have nice things, only the most civilized educated first world countries like Canada and Netherlands are as fortunate to have legal weed.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » November 16th, 2018, 10:45 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:This isn't true about people fooling themselves, yes people fool themselves with things like hundred dollar cable etc. But generally there is a noticeable difference when comparing things like high quality DAC for example sometimes you are not looking for a DAC that is cleaner than your current DAC but you are infact looking for a DAC that is brighter or more forward than your current DAC. In my case I like darker more laid back expansive sound which is why I only use open back sennheiser like the Jubilee 58X / HD 660 and why I have stuck with my Asus Xonar sound card even though it doesn't use burr brown DAC I do not like the sound signature of burr brown I prefer cirrus logic

Onboard audio is horrible I have tested this multiple times, a cheap Asus Xonar DG sound card is far superior than any onboard DAC built into your mother board and no those fancy onboard DAC with the expensive gold capacitors for audio isn't good either.
But offcourse you need good headphones to hear the difference, any $100 USD headphone can tell the difference between onboard and a good quality DAC / Headphone Amp.

The $85 to $100 USD price point is the cut off point for noticeable difference in headphones for most people. There is a small upgrade from my HD 555 to my Jubile 58X and HD 660 even though the HD 660 is $450 USD and the HD 555 was $95 USD. The question is does this huge diminishing return worth it for you? for me yup all the way cause the Jubile is only $150 USD which happens to be a HD 660.

headphones below the $85 price point are generally very bad for what you get with the exception of the old phillips shp 9500 which is now discontinued.

If you listen to pink floyd and other great quality artists you will understand the importance of audiophile and only then you will appreciate it. This cannot be appreciated with any music especially modern pop music which is just trash overall.

and to your original point....all that audio has been processed

Now to your new points
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

headphones below the $85 price point are generally very bad...but you can still get good quality sound reproduction.
So I use a Sony MDR-V6 which I think is still the best bang for the buck headphone available; also have a Sony MDR-7506 which is very similar to it just a little brighter.

So here is where I draw the line with folks who claim to be audiophiles; who go after ridiculously expensive equipment.
Unless you were there; be it at the studio or live performance where the sound was recorded, you have no base for comparison on how close something is to the original. You are working with a processed reproduction, and what sounds good to you; that could be so far from the original...you honestly have no idea...and that is what I mean by people fooling themselves.

oh and one last link
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEjI5PZa78[/youtube]

Hearing limitation is also a thing
Last edited by kamakazi on November 16th, 2018, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » November 16th, 2018, 10:52 pm

It don't have to be ridiculously expensive eh, you can get fine stuff from massdrop.

But I agree some people over do it however you cannot put a price on what some people consider to be worth the price for audio equipment. For example I found the perfect sound signature with a Sennheiser Jubile 58X and Asus Xonar DX that uses a cirrus logic DAC.

Where as I tried expensive Denon D5000 headphones aka Fostex and expensive burr brown DAC with warmer and brighter sound and hated it when compared to my cheaper Sennheiser. Whereas others hate my sennheiser sound signature setup due to its darker, colder, laid back sound signature.

Diminishing return kicks in over $100 however there is no price on what one considers the perfect sound signature.

Audiophile isn't just about how clean something sounds or how true to the original recording it is, it has a lot more a lot lot more to a very very specific sound signature that is almost unique to everybody.

Again this is also due to the type of music you listen to, if you listen to Rap and Hip Hop or SOCA then what on earth are you even doing with Audiophile equipment? those music was designed for big exaggerated thumpy subwoofer bass.

A person who suggests that Audiophiles are fooling themselves have no clue what audiophile is about, and you are not an audiophile if you don't listen to your music in a very dark cool room. The dark room is used to enhance your hearing because closing your eyes causes your brain to become tired and a high body temperature causes your body including your brain to become tired also.

Again the only thing that will take it to another level from this point is Marijuana since it has a unique ability to enhance your senses and alter your perception of time.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » November 16th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Apparently, you never checked the links I posted.

I feel you confused Effectic. Cause your definition of audiophile and the dictionary definition of audiophile are different.
Now you talking about perfect and unique sound signature. It is about audio reproduction.
If you want to believe you are an audiophile, you go right ahead....keep telling yourself what you want to justify your purchase

But please don't say that processed audio is a gimmick...because it is all processed unless you were there
Your perfect and unique sound signature is something that you generated based on the components of your system; that is why i said that people that call themselves audiophiles or believe themselves audiophiles are fooling themselves.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 25th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Bose SoundWear

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » May 10th, 2019, 6:00 am

Correct
kamakazi wrote:Apparently, you never checked the links I posted.

I feel you confused Effectic. Cause your definition of audiophile and the dictionary definition of audiophile are different.
Now you talking about perfect and unique sound signature. It is about audio reproduction.
If you want to believe you are an audiophile, you go right ahead....keep telling yourself what you want to justify your purchase

But please don't say that processed audio is a gimmick...because it is all processed unless you were there
Your perfect and unique sound signature is something that you generated based on the components of your system; that is why i said that people that call themselves audiophiles or believe themselves audiophiles are fooling themselves.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: gaming / audiophile headset thread

Postby RedVEVO » May 10th, 2019, 10:01 am

todd61 wrote:Gaming headsets i have used is

Logitech Wireless G930 (my current headset) very good sound for gaming in 7.1
Logitech G35 wired headset (owned it but broke it in a stupid way)
Logitech F540 wireless (used a friend own)

I want to try a astro a50 wireless headset heard it very good

Logitech products went side ways ..

Chino products better .

JBL good ..

Dre is hype ..

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 10th, 2019, 2:57 pm

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » July 15th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 15th, 2019, 5:45 pm

I had a hard time choosing between that ^ the 880, Ath m50x, and all the usual ones.

But in the end I went with a M560, because I was lucky enough to get to sample it from a bedjrin.

It is also my first Planar Magnetic headphone.
And while it doesn't need an amp/dac, the difference between amp vs no-amp is night vs day.
Rarely raising my windows volume over 10.

You can definitely hear the sub 10Hz clearly, and it is not a boomy/muddy bass like some others.
Little to no distortion even if you increase the volume to uncomfortable levels..
Mids could have used some work. It is also open back. The closed back have the "C" in the name.

One disadvantage is the headband is real rigid. And you might feel discomfort/squeezing your head after a while.
But if the game/flim going too good, you will pull thtough.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 15th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I was following along until you said 10hz.
Really now.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 15th, 2019, 7:01 pm

I mean under 10 is still clear and not muddy.
The lowest I can certainly hear is 4Hz.
At 3 nah.

On this veedio at least

And I don't really have something to compare it to at the moment.

Planars are not really recommended for thing like rock.
More for electronic/rap etc.

But rock/metal still sounded good.
I wasn't too sure what to look for to say it sound 'bad'
But as mentioned Mids are not the best.
Also Manufacturer recommends 150 hours for "burn-in" but I hardly get time to use it and is a bit on the larger/heavier side so can't really carry it around.

And there is another one called HiFiMan 400 or something. I was going for that, but all reviews said the build was very cheap and falling apart in short time.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » July 16th, 2019, 10:45 am

kamakazi wrote:

been watching his videos for some refreshers. Very good simple explanations.

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Postby Soundstream_626 » July 16th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Nobody can hear this low. if your hearing is perfect you may hear 20ish. Sub 20hz is felt, if you are convinced you're hearing something it may be harmonics from the signal or induced by the electronics.
Blaze d Chalice wrote:I mean under 10 is still clear and not muddy.
At 3 nah.

On this veedio at least

Also Manufacturer recommends 150 hours for "burn-in" but I hardly get time to use it and is a bit on the larger/heavier side so can't really carry it around.

And there is another one called HiFiMan 400 or something. I was going for that, but all reviews said the build was very cheap and falling apart in short time.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » July 16th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Soundstream_626 wrote:Nobody can hear this low. if your hearing is perfect you may hear 20ish. Sub 20hz is felt, if you are convinced you're hearing something it may be harmonics from the signal or induced by the electronics.
At 3 nah.

On this veedio at least

Exactly.

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » July 17th, 2019, 11:23 am

At 3 nah.

On this veedio at least

the human ears cant hear frequencies below 20hz bro....u was really going good until u mentioned 10hz then i was like wth...theres a baby whale up in here?

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 17th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Geez sorry I mean't "detect" not hear.

I could go back and edit the original post but alyuh dun light me up.

From around 65-55Hz it starts to go from the 'tone' to the more of a vibrating as you go lower.

At 4 Hz if you turn the volume waaay up you can still slightly detect something, but nothing at 3Hz, so me eh know what jumbie is that.

And yes I know in that video, there IS a background noise that you can hear throughout the whole video, and I am not talking about that noise.

I will try a few other tests when I get time, and also 3 other people got one, I don't know if any are tuners and would share their experience.

Or better yet, one of you post a reliable test and I will try it out.

Arcmanov
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Arcmanov » August 2nd, 2019, 9:56 pm

casper wrote:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UB9CQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1J7WSBJHTGUFA&psc=1

anyone familiar with these?
Have one.
'Upgraded' it with Brainwavz earpads.
Currently using it with a Schiit Magni/Modi stack.
Frequency response is downright superb.

Worth every penny.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 4th, 2019, 6:56 am

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/fla ... FnEALw_wcB

Been using their products a while now especially the acoustic ear plugs and in ear speakers

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » August 4th, 2019, 7:12 am

Morning guys.
My son wants a pair of gaming headphones for PS4...I'm looking for some advice on a suitable entry level pair
Thx much

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 4th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Budget??

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » August 4th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Well I'm more concerned about protecting his hearing than the quality of sound.

He is 9so he isn't an audiophile

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 4th, 2019, 5:00 pm

In that case don't bother with the headphones... Anything that concentrates sound directly into or over the ear increases the risk of hearing damage once the volume is turned up... And I've never seen a device that limits volume output. That is usually controlled by the user

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » August 5th, 2019, 7:02 am

Thank you kamakazi

I've seen on Amazon some that say they limit to 45dcb.
Which based on what ive read is a safe level.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 5th, 2019, 11:24 am

Redman wrote:Thank you kamakazi

I've seen on Amazon some that say they limit to 45dcb.
Which based on what ive read is a safe level.
That sounds like a user controlled limit; what I am getting at is that you can't lock the device to play only up to the 45dcb level... What is preventing your son from turning it up if and when he wants to.

ismithx
punchin NOS

Postby ismithx » August 5th, 2019, 3:58 pm

just to throw in my 2c here. A headphones may be designed to respond to incoming voltage by playing at a certain level i.e. it may be engineered to be quieter rather than louder. If you connect it to a source that can push more voltage, it will get louder than designed. What you should try to do is get noise isolating headphones. This means that he will be able to hear more of the sound rather than external noise. As a result, he won't have to turn up the volume unnecessarily and potentially damage his hearing. The side effect is that he won't be able to hear stuff around him as effectively.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » August 6th, 2019, 7:11 am

Thanks guys...appreciate the help

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » August 6th, 2019, 8:08 am

Redman wrote:Well I'm more concerned about protecting his hearing than the quality of sound.

He is 9so he isn't an audiophile

you could buy any and go into the PS4 settings itself and adjust the volume output on the console audio options so that even if he raises it right up on the headphones, it will still be within reasonable measure

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”