Re: Gaming Headsets & Audiophile Headphones Thread

Postby DVSTT » December 22nd, 2015, 11:16 pm

After 5 years my M50s headband has started to peel. :(

Arcmanov
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Arcmanov » December 22nd, 2015, 11:41 pm

skylinechild wrote:
Arcmanov wrote:There's no comparison really. I normally listen to music on phone with a LG Tone Pro bluetooth headset anyway.

I recently got my hands on another headset that I now use on my PS4/Xbone...the Steelseries H Wireless...hands down the BEST wireless gaming headset you can get right now.

Arcmanov where did you get the headphone amp to buy. looking to buy one new.

Got both FiiO units on Amazon.

Just look for FiiO E07K, and E09K if you want that extra 'oomph'.

SM-N910H | Dr Ketan's ROM v2.0 (KitKat 4.4.4) | SwiftKey | Tapatalk Pro

AGENT RORO
Trinituner Peong

Postby AGENT RORO » December 25th, 2015, 3:17 pm

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » December 25th, 2015, 3:23 pm

So got the MBR-XB950BT for christmas..real bess sound but apparently it doesn't work with a ps4..really poor from Sony that they not compatible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » December 25th, 2015, 3:43 pm

that one side stop working is a scene yes,
first skullcandies lasted 2 years, second 9 months, my 3rd set just under a year.

would buy a headphone shortly, one of those good ones. but
whats the fault that causes them to break? poor wires or poor connectors?
i usually hang mines off a nail, rarely ever reaches in my pocket. no clue.

bought some rca ones recently less than 3 months.

iluv is still a thing?

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » December 25th, 2015, 10:53 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:that one side stop working is a scene yes,
first skullcandies lasted 2 years, second 9 months, my 3rd set just under a year.

would buy a headphone shortly, one of those good ones. but
whats the fault that causes them to break? poor wires or poor connectors?
i usually hang mines off a nail, rarely ever reaches in my pocket. no clue.

bought some rca ones recently less than 3 months.

iluv is still a thing?

Sound Magic IE2 are good and they are about $40usd.
Had mine over a year and a half, use it right through in gym and school, it gets a good bit of jamming, but never had an issue.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 25th, 2015, 10:59 pm

My guess is that due to the tiny micro size of in ear speakers its simply physics as to why they always blow. Its just not possible to make a speaker that tiny and have the same reliability as a larger one. Its like asking why desktop PC outlasts gaming laptops, no matter how good they make the components the laptop so crammed the heat is massive its gonna fail.

Why car engine starts so easily and lasts so much longer than lawnmower or wackers / chainsaws is more difficult sometimes incredibly difficult?

It seems failure has a LOT to do with size, physical limits. Thats my opinion on it, it seems to make sense.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » December 26th, 2015, 1:27 am

Fellas, can anyone recommend a decent pair of bluetooth in ear headphones. Some one disappeared with my JBL J46 set today.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 26th, 2015, 5:57 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:My guess is that due to the tiny micro size of in ear speakers its simply physics as to why they always blow. Its just not possible to make a speaker that tiny and have the same reliability as a larger one. Its like asking why desktop PC outlasts gaming laptops, no matter how good they make the components the laptop so crammed the heat is massive its gonna fail.

Why car engine starts so easily and lasts so much longer than lawnmower or wackers / chainsaws is more difficult sometimes incredibly difficult?

It seems failure has a LOT to do with size, physical limits. Thats my opinion on it, it seems to make sense.

Please don't use engines as a comparison. ... especially different types of engines; that is a whole other discussion.

Anyhow. ...I have found that headphones/earbuds usually fail (one side or the other) due to the wires breaking...usually from being made from very thin wire. I have never observed a failure due to small units playing at sane levels for extended periods of time. ... but any unit that is ovedriven is bound to fail.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » January 12th, 2016, 2:46 pm

looking for a decent enough over ear headphones for home with a budget of 50usd

with the research ive done seems like these 2 are the best sub $50 headphones on the market

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR850-Prof ... headphones

or

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open ... ds=agk+240

trying to make up my mind which to go with they both got solid reviews

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » January 12th, 2016, 4:43 pm

Spitfir3 wrote:looking for a decent enough over ear headphones for home with a budget of 50usd

with the research ive done seems like these 2 are the best sub $50 headphones on the market

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-SR850-Prof ... headphones

or

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open ... ds=agk+240

trying to make up my mind which to go with they both got solid reviews

Be careful people who review these lower end headphones are generally people who never heard anything better so assume this is good.

This one is a much better buy than those 2 you listed

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... ds=ATH+M30

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » January 12th, 2016, 5:32 pm

was actually looking at those as well i already have a sennheiser headphone which is in the same league as those M50's im just looking for a cheap set to use in my workspace i may very well end up getting that m20x

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » January 12th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Yeah AT is best value for money hands down. No matter which one you buy is better than what the competition has to offer.

aidan
30 pounds of Boost

Postby aidan » February 27th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Looking for a Bluetooth over the ear headphone under $50US. Any recommendations?
Need something to listen to audiobooks and occasional music, and not break the bank incase it gets lost/stolen or broken.

RAJIE
Sweet on this forum

Postby RAJIE » February 27th, 2016, 5:31 pm

anyone have used rcf iconic headphones?

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » July 14th, 2016, 8:51 pm

Anyone got the vmoda M100s? reviews?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » October 12th, 2016, 4:19 am

Ended up buying the SHP 9500 for $65 US shipped. From a lot of reviews people claim they sound like the HD 600 sennheiser which cost nearly $300 US. I find this hard to believe, sennheiser has a unique sound signature. I have a Modded HD 555 that I turned into a HD 598. But after 9 years it looks like the right speaker rattling when there is plenty bass. Earpads have also deteriorated badly aswell so ended up going for the Phillips based on reviews.

I consider my ears very good, I use a Xonar DG sound card but plan on upgrading to a SABRE ESS DAC, my number 1 music for testing is Pink Floyd nothing else comes close when testing audiophile grade material. I will post back and let you all know if the SHP 9500 sounds like my HD 598 I never heard the 600 they use different drivers to the 598 and 555 so there is no way to mod either into a 600. But if the SHP 9500 sounds anything like the HD 598 then yeah Phillips get through with this gem.

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » December 8th, 2016, 10:52 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Ended up buying the SHP 9500 for $65 US shipped. From a lot of reviews people claim they sound like the HD 600 sennheiser which cost nearly $300 US. I find this hard to believe, sennheiser has a unique sound signature. I have a Modded HD 555 that I turned into a HD 598. But after 9 years it looks like the right speaker rattling when there is plenty bass. Earpads have also deteriorated badly aswell so ended up going for the Phillips based on reviews.

I consider my ears very good, I use a Xonar DG sound card but plan on upgrading to a SABRE ESS DAC, my number 1 music for testing is Pink Floyd nothing else comes close when testing audiophile grade material. I will post back and let you all know if the SHP 9500 sounds like my HD 598 I never heard the 600 they use different drivers to the 598 and 555 so there is no way to mod either into a 600. But if the SHP 9500 sounds anything like the HD 598 then yeah Phillips get through with this gem.

Any review of these cans bro ?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » December 9th, 2016, 8:57 am

Turbo
Chronic 2NR

Postby Turbo » December 12th, 2016, 9:03 am

Anyone can suggest a good Gaming headset? Nothing too fancy, budget is around $100US

LyonTuner1
Riding on 13's

Postby LyonTuner1 » December 12th, 2016, 9:14 am

Sennheiser is great. If you're willing to pay a bit more then I'd definitely recommend going for something like that over Beats by Dre.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » December 12th, 2016, 10:24 am

Turbo wrote:Anyone can suggest a good Gaming headset? Nothing too fancy, budget is around $100US

hyper x cloud is one of the more well regarded "gaming headsets" out there and it fits into your budget
OR
you can get the audio technica m40x which is one of the best headphones under 100usd and buy a clip on mic to go with it

Turbo
Chronic 2NR

Postby Turbo » December 12th, 2016, 10:33 am

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-For ... ne+headset

what about this? seeing it being suggested a lot

dandadda007
Street 2NR

Postby dandadda007 » December 12th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Got one of the above^ for a little over a year now got it on sale for approx $35usd. For that price it was a good buy.
Pros:
Good Sound Quality from speakers and through microphone
Plug in adapter for easily accessible controls such as bass boost, mute gaming volume and chat volume without having to enter into a menu all the time.
Removable Microphone (so can be used as a regular headphone at times without always looking like a gaming headset)
Good length cord
Cons:
Maybe my ears are too big but it sits more on ear than covers them and as such gets a little uncomfortable for extended play sessions.
Doesn't isolate sound from the environment all that well (could be a byproduct of the first con)

Overall good starter headphone for beginners and small eared people.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 12th, 2016, 1:02 pm

The best bet would be to buy the shp 9500 phillips headphones and buy the VMODA Boom Pro detachable cable mic because the SHP 9500 has detachable 3.5mm cables it means you can plug in the vmoda boom pro mic and it turns it into a perfect headset for gaming and you would have a true audiophile grade headphone for music.

Gaming headsets suck big time for music. Whereas a real audiophile headphone can do music and games just enable the dolby or whatever effects your sound card or sound chip has for a gaming experience.

I sold my phillips but I plan on buying another one for now I am using a Sennheiser HD 555 headphone modded with Brainwavz HM5 memory foam ear pads they are fabric.

Another big benefit of the phillips is its open back and fabric pads which never touch the ear, so no sweating or heat not to mention the obvious benefit open back it always has super sonic ability compared to closed back in everyway. if you are using a closed back leather pad headphone be really careful as it was a horrible experience for me. I sold my Audio Technica M50 headphones years ago because it was too hot and sweaty even in AC

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » December 12th, 2016, 1:10 pm

LyonTuner1 wrote:Sennheiser is great. If you're willing to pay a bit more then I'd definitely recommend going for something like that over Beats by Dre.

Agreed

Beats are trash headphones, its designed for teenagers who spend their money on Nike and Jordan sneakers. It has exaggerated and muddy bass which sounds like ass, it muffles the mids the clarity is rubbish in a beats.

Beats headphones cost $14 to make and they sell it back for $200, this was proven years ago.

Sennheiser is a German Brand, nearly all Beyerdynamic headphones are Made in Germany and are superior to beats in everyway and costs much less at the same time.

The people on Amazon who review Beats with high stars are clueless consumers who do not have any idea how high quality headphones are supposed to sound. The Phillips shp 9500 is $70 USD and its atleast 500 times superior to the rubbish that Beats make. The only thing beats has is marketing and it proves just how important marketing is, you can sell sh!t for $200 and people will buy it if the marketing is good enough.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 16th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Dolby Dimension headphones
The new Dolby Dimension headphones are $600 bluetooth headphones for your living room and are Dolby's first branded product. Though the Dimensions are Bluetooth wireless headphones, they are quite different than the Sony and Bose headphones you might be used to. They use a new feature called Lifemix to mix in surrounding audio while you’re wearing the headphones.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » November 16th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Any sort of audio processing is always a gimmick, I recently bought a Sennheiser Jubile 58X from Massdrop and I have concluded that this is about the limit of the human hearing. It basically sounds just like a Sennheiser HD 660

As I played Hunt Showdown and I tried all sorts of Dolby Processing options in my sound card it became apparent that the sound stage is best and most accurate when everything is turned off. Again reinforcing the point made by every audiophile that all processing is a gimmick and makes the audio sound worse and not how it was intended to sound.

When you have proper high end headphones you then appreciate the natural true recording of music and you would never use a gaming headset or processing ever in your life again.

If you are on a budget buy from Massdrop, or get the Audio Technicas from Amazon, do not ever buy gaming headsets or dolby headsets you will be wasting your money on marketing gimmicks. If a mic is your issue then buy a attachable mod mic

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 16th, 2018, 7:10 pm

A clean cut vinyl or Blu-ray audio is how the artist was meant for it to sound. No need for extra processing. All you would need is a really good pair of headphones and a good clean amplifier. Good records are mastered and now digitally remastered very well in the studio.

I'm talking about the era before this modern movement of over-compression and digitally amplified noise though.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”