Forums

The official WAZE GPS navigation thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Google MapMaker/OpenStreetMaps/Waze Map Editor | Mapping T&T

Postby zcrugby » April 24th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Some of you may know that the Google Maps map and satellite views are not aligned for our country.. in the hybrid view we can cleary see this... i know for a fact that the satellite image is properly aligned by using my GPS on my iPhone and that it is the map and street names it self that is misaligned.. i have been reporting it a few times for over a year now an have not seen any fix as yet. What i am asking for is if we can all get together and send Google reports about it so they can see alot of us want this fixed ASAP. This link will lead you directly to where you have to post your report.. please all help out.. thanks...

under "Please select the problem you're experiencing", select Images misaligned

As you can see there are many issues there that can be reported that corresponds with Google Maps/Earth & Trinidad & Tobago.

Obscured by clouds or snow

Low resolution/can't zoom in

Images misaligned

Older than 3 years
    (obvious when you see what is there (image) & what is there (reality)

:bump: if you report so we can see who has helped us to get this fixed once and for all.
Last edited by SRASC on May 22nd, 2013, 12:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Updated post

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 24th, 2010, 6:36 pm

this is where my gps tells me im passin while im on the beetham highway btw... Image

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 24th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Google is not taking you on because they see you are from Trinidad and Tobago, which is a nation that supports terrorism. So they don't want you to be using their map and images to go bombing up the rest of the world. Hence, they give you spatial information that is not accurate.
[/thread]

Stephon.
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Stephon. » April 24th, 2010, 7:26 pm

On another note, accurate GPS can be very helpful, just because you don't know how to utilize it doesn't mean that he is retarded.

Trini Hookah
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Trini Hookah » April 24th, 2010, 7:46 pm

so if he having trouble driving down a straight road, what if he uses it on the Interchange? :|

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 24th, 2010, 7:46 pm

how retard u all have to be to think i need the gps to drive on the highway...to get from point a to point c you have to pass point b u no..

Trini Hookah
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Trini Hookah » April 24th, 2010, 8:06 pm

seriously man, why not contact a local GPS dealer and see what seems to be the problem....there are some on the forum, just do a search and see if they can rectify your prob

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 24th, 2010, 8:09 pm

cause i no wat the problem is.. it isnt anything to do with gps.. its google maps are not aligned.. its a common problem

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

Postby illumin@ti » April 24th, 2010, 8:26 pm

zscrugby wrote:cause i no wat the problem is.. it isnt anything to do with gps.. its google maps are not aligned.. its a common problem

it has nothing to do with GPS at all, the sat images that Terran have of trinidad match correctly with their interpolated road network. the problem is that the road network that was supplied to them by our local ppl .. L&S, CSO, MPHE has always had that error. The Projection is erroneous.. Mainly because we trinis coulda never agree to collaborate on anything, thas why some agencies used Cassini based data, some Naparima, and some interchangeably between WGS84 and Naparima....

meh ,,,,, ah talkin too much

http://www.asprs.org/resources/GRIDS/11 ... inidad.pdf

thing is, trini powers that be hadda spend some money to get this fixed. Needless to say its not a top priority, no matter what administration is in power, and most certainly, u whining to Google is not going to help this process along any faster

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

Postby illumin@ti » April 24th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Dude that wrote the long ass article wrote:In 1996, the U.S. National Geodetic Survey (NGS) made
GPS observations of many countries in the Caribbean. Observations
on the island of Trinidad included two points
that happened to be on both the Old Trinidad Datum of
1903 and on the Naparima Datum of 1972. Thanks to David
Doyle of NGS, I received the WGS84 coordinates of all stations
observed. I performed a simple three-parameter
analysis of those two points and derived the following relations:
From Old Trinidad 1903 To WGS 84, DX = -33.250 m,
DY = +232.675 m, DZ = +484.542 m, the fit was good to
about 2 meters in each component for the two points computed.
From Naparima 1972 To WGS 84, DX = +0.332
meters, DY = +369.359 meters, DZ = +172.897 meters, and
the fit was good to better than a meter in each component
for the two points computed.
In 1986 I was retained to study the relations of the
various Grids and Datums of the area, and I traveled to
the islands and mainland to research the original data.
In 1987 I was invited to present the results of my analysis
and development of the 7-parameter Bursa-Wolf Datum
Shift relations of all coordinate systems in the Republic
of Venezuela and the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago to
the Minister of External Affairs (Secretary of State) in
Port of Spain. A new International Boundary Treaty was
subsequently signed and ratified by both republics. The
defining Datum in the Treaty was the PSAD 56.

what hes sayin is that he has fixed this error somewhat.... which leads one to ask ,,, why has it not been corrected yet... Steups ,, is trinidad,,,, ah fuhget

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » April 24th, 2010, 10:55 pm

vrampersad14 wrote:seriously man, why not contact a local GPS dealer and see what seems to be the problem....there are some on the forum, just do a search and see if they can rectify your prob

LOL are you serious?
his issue is with Google Maps, not with GPS!
it's easy comprehension

anyway I've lodged a complaint as I too would like them to line up the map with the satellite images.

SUPAstarr
punchin NOS

Postby SUPAstarr » April 25th, 2010, 5:48 am

actually guys there is a secondary map in development. this problem is experienced across gps providers here in trini, we happened to get a link to it so after rally i'll post a screen shot of my vehicle passin on the beetham an show the difference, all trackin is actually on the road, but the map is not completed yet

STAMINA

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » April 25th, 2010, 7:39 am

When would we be able to put in street addresses and get directions in google maps? What has to be done to get to that stage? IMHO that would be so much better than just the GPS lining up with the roads, if that was integrated as well it would be great.

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 25th, 2010, 8:24 am

im very glad to see this post has been cleaned up.. thanks moderaters...

SUPAstarr wrote:actually guys there is a secondary map in development. this problem is experienced across gps providers here in trini, we happened to get a link to it so after rally i'll post a screen shot of my vehicle passin on the beetham an show the difference, all trackin is actually on the road, but the map is not completed yet

STAMINA

maybe you can give some of us a link to this secondary map so we to can test it out an make notes of the areas that still need to be completed.. is this secondary map a map from google or an outside source? ive watched demos of mnav in action and they dont seem to have this problem.. and neither does bings maps... i think its solely googles maps that have this problem and other companys just use Googe's maps so there just adopting the problem aswell.. its a common issue with google otherwise they wont have a actual link to post complaints about maps actually being misaligned.. and i think we should ask around and see if we can help google get all the info they need to have actual directions available for us as i would think us bein a 3rd world country and all (and tourism plummiting cause of the crime) that we arent high on their list of to-do's in that section so maybe if we show we are willing to help them they might consider it.. then again who are we to make a large company like google do something for us but its worth a try...

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 25th, 2010, 8:47 am

also who has an iphone 3G[S].. can you share how you obtain your gps location? all the iphones ive used i had to follow a process which i thought of myself to get a location so has anyone else been able to get accurate gps location (that is on the satellite view as the map view as we know isnt acurate). if anyone wants to try my way here is how i do it..

first make sure you have sbsettings installed via cydia
then open sbsettings and if you dont have the location and the airplane toggle go to More and toggles and activate them an it will respring on exit.. now turn airplane mode on from sbsetting and in sbsettings click power then reboot.. when the iphone reboots leave the airplane mode on and go to the maps application and click the little location button on the bottom left. wait till it says your location can not be determined and while maps is still open open sbsettings (swipe the top bar incase you didnt no) and turn airplane mode off then go back to maps and click the location button again and you should get your accurate gps location within seconds.. if anyone wants the google maps (the misaligned one sadly) to be stored on the iphone so you can use it without internet contact me. also if anyone has any maps of trinidad for a garmin device please contact me aswell as the iphone now has an application that alows you to use maps from a garmin.

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 25th, 2010, 9:02 am

SUPAstarr wrote:actually guys there is a secondary map in development. this problem is experienced across gps providers here in trini, we happened to get a link to it so after rally i'll post a screen shot of my vehicle passin on the beetham an show the difference, all trackin is actually on the road, but the map is not completed yet

STAMINA

infact i think you are talkin about bings maps as they are aligned but not completed.. isnt that what your speak of?

sharkman121
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sharkman121 » April 25th, 2010, 10:44 am

zscrugby, ive lodged a complaint as well....would like to see this done.

drunkenscorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby drunkenscorpion » April 25th, 2010, 10:55 am

pete wrote:When would we be able to put in street addresses and get directions in google maps? What has to be done to get to that stage? IMHO that would be so much better than just the GPS lining up with the roads, if that was integrated as well it would be great.

It would..........but we hadda creep before we cud walk...

TK!
Riding on 18's

Postby TK! » April 25th, 2010, 4:44 pm

support the cause. filed a complaint.

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » April 25th, 2010, 6:31 pm

zscrugby wrote:also who has an iphone 3G[S].. can you share how you obtain your gps location? all the iphones ive used i had to follow a process which i thought of myself to get a location so has anyone else been able to get accurate gps location (that is on the satellite view as the map view as we know isnt acurate). if anyone wants to try my way here is how i do it..

then open sbsettings and if you dont have the location and the airplane toggle go to More and toggles and activate them an it will respring on exit.. now turn airplane mode on from sbsetting and in sbsettings click power then reboot.. when the iphone reboots leave the airplane mode on and go to the maps application and click the little location button on the bottom left. wait till it says your location can not be determined and while maps is still open open sbsettings (swipe the top bar incase you didnt no) and turn airplane mode off then go back to maps and click the location button again and you should get your accurate gps location within seconds.. if anyone wants the google maps (the misaligned one sadly) to be stored on the iphone so you can use it without internet contact me. also if anyone has any maps of trinidad for a garmin device please contact me aswell as the iphone now has an application that alows you to use maps from a garmin.

hoss you my friend deserve an A for Effort yo. I gonna try this. Since recently (and i havent restored since a LONG while) i have not been able to grab a GPS signal. I never grabbed it anywhere near my home either. And my Nokia used to do it in seconds. I'll try this.

BTW PM the details as to how to get the maps offline too :oops:
You ever used MotionX GPS app? that app is crazy good yo. try it.

EDIT: YOU ARE A FCKING BOSS! How you figured this out? this is the 1st time i have ever gotten GPS inside with my iPhone.

PapaC
Riding on 17's

Postby PapaC » April 25th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Done.

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm

corolla_2nr wrote:
zscrugby wrote:also who has an iphone 3G[S].. can you share how you obtain your gps location? all the iphones ive used i had to follow a process which i thought of myself to get a location so has anyone else been able to get accurate gps location (that is on the satellite view as the map view as we know isnt acurate). if anyone wants to try my way here is how i do it..

hoss you my friend deserve an A for Effort yo. I gonna try this. Since recently (and i havent restored since a LONG while) i have not been able to grab a GPS signal. I never grabbed it anywhere near my home either. And my Nokia used to do it in seconds. I'll try this.

EDIT: YOU ARE A FCKING BOSS! How you figured this out? this is the 1st time i have ever gotten GPS inside with my iPhone.

i was just playin around with it an it happened it work.. its pretty cool... i sugest using xgps from cydia.. im sendin you a pm now..

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » April 25th, 2010, 7:30 pm

zscrugby wrote:
corolla_2nr wrote:

i was just playin around with it an it happened it work.. its pretty cool... i sugest using xgps from cydia.. im sendin you a pm now..

thanks buddy.
What do you use to track trips? xGPS does that as well? I got motionX GPS to grab my location as well and the one time GPS worked it tracked it quite accurately.

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 25th, 2010, 7:40 pm

yea just make sure and have gps tracking enabled in the app settings.. an then u wireless transfer the data to ur pc with the xgps manager app an u can view it (like the one i have at the top of this thread)

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » April 25th, 2010, 8:08 pm

thanks man :)

SUPAstarr
punchin NOS

Postby SUPAstarr » April 26th, 2010, 10:14 am

hey guys this is the difference i was tellin you about, i cant provide a link jus yet, but it was embedded as an extra map choice at the top of our screen, it looks like a preliminary map but with a whole lot more minor detail, street directions, business places, that kinda thing..but still not all the road detail

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » April 26th, 2010, 10:16 am

sharkman121 wrote:zscrugby, ive lodged a complaint as well....would like to see this done.

x2

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 26th, 2010, 10:22 am

SUPAstarr wrote:hey guys this is the difference i was tellin you about, i cant provide a link jus yet, but it was embedded as an extra map choice at the top of our screen, it looks like a preliminary map but with a whole lot more minor detail, street directions, business places, that kinda thing..but still not all the road detail

Looks gud. Wat device did you use for the tracks? Amd by "the top of our screen" what do you mean?

zcrugby
3NE 2NR for life

Postby zcrugby » April 26th, 2010, 10:23 am

Oh i see what you mean by the top of the screen. How did you get that?

SUPAstarr
punchin NOS

Postby SUPAstarr » April 26th, 2010, 10:26 am

this is one of our personal trackin devices the co sticks to me. Usually google gives the options you see in my screen shot of MAP SATELLITE HYBRID, what ever link or piece of codin that was added to our software gave us the second MAP choice at the end of the top right menu

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”