Re: In Car Navigation

Postby Yeo » March 31st, 2014, 11:26 am

Whenever I come home, I just swap my sd-card on my Garmin

http://www.gpstravelmaps.com/gps-maps/c ... tobago.php

pseudorandom
Street 2NR

Re: In Car Navigation

Postby pseudorandom » March 31st, 2014, 2:13 pm

On my old car deck which ran Windows CE, I used Navit (also available on Android). I downloaded OSM Trinidad maps for free and it ran very well offline. No way I going to pay for any map when Google Maps, etc. are free and Trinidad too small for me to need car navigation often. Now I changed to an Android powered car deck and run Waze, so I can get traffic reports, accidents, etc. For data, I hotspot my phone and the deck accesses it via wi-fi.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: The official WAZE GPS navigation thread

Postby redmanjp » April 17th, 2014, 9:57 pm

did waze always give routes based on traffic conditions or is that a recent feature- haven't used it in months

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 17th, 2014, 10:13 pm

redmanjp wrote:did waze always give routes based on traffic conditions or is that a recent feature- haven't used it in months

Always based on traffic

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » April 18th, 2014, 12:14 pm

it seems they using historical data instead of actual data- i used a route from central to POS and chose 7 am- it said the trip would take over 40 mins despite today being a holiday

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 18th, 2014, 12:22 pm

There are menu settings for fastest or shortest route. The routes usually adjust based on traffic and your average speed.

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Postby jm3 » April 18th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Does anybody use waze on a tablet?
i'm looking to install a tablet in the car but i'm not sure which models waze works with (gps and celular data or personal wifi with my iphone). my top picks right now are nexus 7, ipad mini+ retina, or a note 3

BlackXT
3NE 2NR for life

Postby BlackXT » April 18th, 2014, 1:58 pm

jm3 wrote:Does anybody use waze on a tablet?
i'm looking to install a tablet in the car but i'm not sure which models waze works with (gps and celular data or personal wifi with my iphone). my top picks right now are nexus 7, ipad mini+ retina, or a note 3

I use it on my 7" Galaxy Tab.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » April 18th, 2014, 4:10 pm

If your phone has data and can be used as a hotspot practically all android tabs will work. If you going apple you have to get a 3g one and pay even more.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » April 19th, 2014, 4:57 pm

anyone getting an error msg when calculating routes? i'm doing it from the website not the app

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Postby jm3 » April 19th, 2014, 10:41 pm

pete wrote:If your phone has data and can be used as a hotspot practically all android tabs will work. If you going apple you have to get a 3g one and pay even more.

thanks nexus 7 it is then

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » April 20th, 2014, 11:44 am

any idea how much users in trinidad use waze? i'm thinking of including this in my Project

see thread

http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=544914&start=0

Anotrin
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Anotrin » April 25th, 2014, 8:09 am

redmanjp wrote:any idea how much users in trinidad use waze? i'm thinking of including this in my Project

see thread

http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=544914&start=0

Make a new account. Filter. By country and it should give you your rank which will.be thr lowest and also total count of users as at the account creation date. Active users im not sure about

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Re: Google MapMaker/OpenStreetMaps/Waze Map Editor | Mapping

Postby SRASC » April 25th, 2014, 11:12 am

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » April 25th, 2014, 11:32 am

What about building numbers for addresses in Google maps? Went through all the drama to register my business so it shows up on google maps in the hope that the address would be searchable and still if you search the address it just shows up a pin in the middle of the street. Far away from the actual building.

jm3
12 pounds of Boost

Postby jm3 » June 11th, 2014, 4:05 pm

finally i'm now a level 3 editor and area manager :)

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » June 24th, 2014, 2:10 pm

pete wrote:What about building numbers for addresses in Google maps? Went through all the drama to register my business so it shows up on google maps in the hope that the address would be searchable and still if you search the address it just shows up a pin in the middle of the street. Far away from the actual building.

Well there is an option for that in Google MapMaker. Better thing to do as well as putting in a building number, is to make sure it is mapped to that specific building.

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » July 3rd, 2014, 4:39 am

Very weird. All of the buildings I added was pin based and all stuck and are searchable etc by their name

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » August 19th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Google has dropped a new app for iPhone this morning called Photo Sphere Camera. The app offers a special camera that allows you to capture 360º images – everything above, below, and around you – for viewing and sharing. The new app even allows you to publish 360º images you capture to Google Maps for others to see as well. Google notes that the app requires iPhone 4S or higher for capturing images. Photo Sphere Camera is available for free on the App Store joining a long list of other Google apps including its popular game augmented reality game Ingress.

Can use this to publish Street Views with iPhones/iPads as well now.

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » September 17th, 2014, 10:37 am

anyone getting issues with waze not displaying the traffic layer - yellow and red colors on the roads to indicate traffic?

traffic and hazard markers are showing but only when i post a traffic report then the yellow or red layer shows up.

DFC
2NRholic

Postby DFC » September 17th, 2014, 10:40 am

well i back on the waze scene.

i wonder if i put my waze on in a flight from trini to miami....my points will be real good.

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » September 18th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Google is rolling outs its Maps navigation features to 20 additional countries as confirmed on the company’s website (via AndroidPolice). That means users in the new countries will have access to turn-by-turn navigation features for walking, biking, and driving directions. The full list of countries included in the latest roll out is below:

Angola
Bahamas
Bolivia
Botswana
Fiji
Guyana
Honduras
Jamaica
Madagascar
Malawi
Mali
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nepal
Sri Lanka
Tanzania
Tobago*
Trinidad*
The navigation features are available in the new countries to Google Maps users on both Android and iOS devices. Google notes that Countries marked with asterisks include limited coverage in only some regions of the country.

SRASC
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby SRASC » September 25th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Good sign that Apple Maps at least trying to remain up to date. Unfortunately not much else is on it & there remains a good bit of errors.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 26th, 2014, 3:07 am

Shazaden wrote:Just a note here. Google maps are always being constantly updated by people like us. Most of the edits for Trinidad and Tobago are done by people with Local Expert knowledge, therefore any and all help to improve the detail and accuracy of the map will go along way to enrich all our lives. Since Waze was earlier acquired by Google, expect to see a lot more integration of the two. Also Google have began rolling out voice guided navigation in some Caribbean countries, and expects to include Trinidad and Tobago so long as we can get the roads as up-to-date as possible. Again all help is needed. SRASC was a major contributor, hope to have you back too. Thanks

I joined Mapmaker a few days ago. Included a lot of street names in the southland... areas such as Pleasantville, St Joseph Village, Cocoyea, La Romain, Woodlands and Lengua. To a lesser extent; Cross Crossing, Union, Palmiste, Debe, Penal and Princes Town.

Will continue updating.

searchingone
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby searchingone » September 26th, 2014, 10:20 am

I wish there was a way to stop Waze from sending me into the ghetto. Had to turn around 3 times yesterday and face the traffic oui :/

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » September 29th, 2014, 6:26 am

I drop some updates as well for my area

labeled buildings like usine factory ect

Shazaden
Riding on 13's

Postby Shazaden » October 4th, 2014, 4:25 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
Shazaden wrote:Just a note here. Google maps are always being constantly updated by people like us. Most of the edits for Trinidad and Tobago are done by people with Local Expert knowledge, therefore any and all help to improve the detail and accuracy of the map will go along way to enrich all our lives. Since Waze was earlier acquired by Google, expect to see a lot more integration of the two. Also Google have began rolling out voice guided navigation in some Caribbean countries, and expects to include Trinidad and Tobago so long as we can get the roads as up-to-date as possible. Again all help is needed. SRASC was a major contributor, hope to have you back too. Thanks

I joined Mapmaker a few days ago. Included a lot of street names in the southland... areas such as Pleasantville, St Joseph Village, Cocoyea, La Romain, Woodlands and Lengua. To a lesser extent; Cross Crossing, Union, Palmiste, Debe, Penal and Princes Town.

Will continue updating.

Good job..thanks so much man. We gettin there! Is this KyronR?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » October 4th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Shazaden wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

Will continue updating.

Good job..thanks so much man. We gettin there! Is this KyronR?

Correct sir!

Swisha
Chronic 2NR

The official WAZE GPS navigation thread

Postby Swisha » November 16th, 2014, 1:10 pm

PISSED OFF L.A. HOMEOWNERS
WAZE IS THE DEVIL!

The Waze app is destroying neighborhoods in Los Angeles ... so claim some very pissed off homeowners.

There have been several neighborhood meetings in the last few weeks around the city because some posh neighborhoods have become as congested as the freeways around rush hour.

Even if you don't live in L.A. you've probably heard about the legendary traffic jams on the 405. That freeway has caused thousands of motorists to rely on Waze to find shortcuts, and a glut of cars are ending up on the same side streets and it's become a nightmare for homeowners trying to leave.

So the neighborhood meetings are all about torpedoing the Waze App, and they think they found a waze.

Here's the plan ... since Waze is based on crowdsourcing, residents are uniting to report congestion in their area so cars are rerouted to other streets.

It's starting to catch on ... with the possible end game that motorists will go back to where they came from ... the 405.

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/11/14/wa ... riving-405

:lol:

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » November 16th, 2014, 5:24 pm

I never knew what I was missing out on....I like it very much....

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”