Forums

Tuner Cooking Thread.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

DMan7
punchin NOS

Re: Tuner Cooking Thread.

Postby DMan7 » May 14th, 2023, 10:47 am

"Bandanya" yes. What happened to chadon beni?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 14th, 2023, 11:09 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Correk,
Those silver "iron pot" made locally are cast aluminum

It have some that noticeably heavier than others of the same size . I assumed those heavier ones are iron. Could be wrong but I really like cooking in those.
Handle everything except more delicate stir fries

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 14th, 2023, 11:31 am

The T-fal pots are aluminium and noticeably lighter.

The cast iron pots are mild steel and grind down inside to make smooth with an angle grinder. They are seasoned by regular usage which makes them not rust when stored properly. They are much heavier. I have a few, even the big heavy-ass prayers/wedding pots passed down through the family. You can knock it and hear the difference too, nice ringing bell sound.

DMan7 wrote:"Bandanya" yes. What happened to chadon beni?

I think that word is really bandhania which is a Hindi word for "a tied up bundle."

Chadon (pronounced by swallowing the last consonant as the French would) Beni is French from le chardon "thistle" and beni "blessed."

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 14th, 2023, 11:35 am

maj. tom wrote:The T-fal pots are aluminium and noticeably lighter.

The cast iron pots are mild steel and grind down inside to make smooth with an angle grinder. They are seasoned by regular usage which makes them not rust when stored properly. They are much heavier. I have a few, even the big heavy-ass prayers/wedding pots passed down through the family. You can knock it and hear the difference too, nice ringing bell sound.

I think that word is really bandhania which is a Hindi word for "a tied up bundle."

Chadon (pronounced by swallowing the last consonant as the French would) Beni is French from le chardon "thistle" and beni "blessed."

Yesssir! That bell sound self. Alum don’t ring quite the same

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » May 14th, 2023, 5:31 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:

Maybe the ones you have are cast iron but I’ve never seen one. My family uses those huge wedding pots and my in laws as well and none are cast iron all are cast aluminum and are thicker than the regular ones you use on the stove hence the weight. Dead giveaway is that they don’t rust after washing like my cast iron skillet when I don’t re season it imho

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 14th, 2023, 6:03 pm

Well seeing as today is mother's day, and since last night I kno I really wasn't feeling to cook NOTHING, I use d cheat code.
Last night, give d wife a band, tell she go out and enjoy sheself, invite whoever she wants, and if she short call me I go handle it.

She, her sister, my sister, she niece, her sister daughter in law, and some other girl gone since 10 this morning. No call yet thank God :lol:

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 15th, 2023, 10:11 am

hindian wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

Maybe the ones you have are cast iron but I’ve never seen one. My family uses those huge wedding pots and my in laws as well and none are cast iron all are cast aluminum and are thicker than the regular ones you use on the stove hence the weight. Dead giveaway is that they don’t rust after washing like my cast iron skillet when I don’t re season it imho

Aluminum cookware really don't rust like iron for sure. But the ever present oxide layer continually gets picked up by foods and then you end up in the madhouse.

Aluminum is the new lead. Spread the word.

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » May 15th, 2023, 4:14 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:
hindian wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

Aluminum cookware really don't rust like iron for sure. But the ever present oxide layer continually gets picked up by foods and then you end up in the madhouse.

And is one setta ole rim and scrap aluminum they melt to make those pots to eh so no telling what other chemicals and whatnot in it

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » May 16th, 2023, 8:39 am

hindian wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:
hindian wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

And is one setta ole rim and scrap aluminum they melt to make those pots to eh so no telling what other chemicals and whatnot in it

Correk is right.

Very hard to separate an alloy , not impossible, just very energy intensive and tricky.

Some random operation in china/india aint care bout safety standards. I've seen videos of these men assembling Lead acid battery plates with their bare hands and no masks.

I rather take a regular iron nonstick pan and remove the nonstick coating and re-season it. That's our best bet now.
(wait for the coating to degrade first ofc, use an old pan)

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » May 16th, 2023, 3:55 pm

The thing is, locally made aluminum cooking pots are a must have in 99% of households here , even in mine. I’ve seen how they make it too. Them fellas does have a short lifespan and if they live long is plenty health problems from working with the metal. I guess that’s why people made noise against having the smelter in La Brea a few years ago…

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 16th, 2023, 4:14 pm

wasn’t this aluminium toxic debate around in the 70s or 80s then disappeared ?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 16th, 2023, 6:41 pm

pugboy wrote:wasn’t this aluminium toxic debate around in the 70s or 80s then disappeared ?
Yes
It was replaced by the teflon coated pan drama

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » May 16th, 2023, 8:47 pm

Just get some good quality ceramic cookware. No toxins to worry about, very even cooking. You can just stick them in the oven to pull double duty as a Dutch oven too. Paid about 1000 TTD for a 5 piece set. Definitely a great investment if you love to cook.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 17th, 2023, 8:05 pm

hindian wrote:Maybe the ones you have are cast iron but I’ve never seen one. My family uses those huge wedding pots and my in laws as well and none are cast iron all are cast aluminum and are thicker than the regular ones you use on the stove hence the weight. Dead giveaway is that they don’t rust after washing like my cast iron skillet when I don’t re season it imho

huh I believe you're right you know. One day I'll go find a few of the pots and drag them out and attempt some qualitative inorganic analysis to find out exactly what alloy they're making them with. A control would be dem iron ring stove.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 17th, 2023, 8:21 pm

just use a magnet to determine if ferrous

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 17th, 2023, 9:20 pm

Even the free aluminum released while cooking in those pots is a health risk. Aluminum cookware without some sort of inert coating is probably never safe.

High levels of lead and cadmium is present in a lot of scrap aluminum pans around the world. That is directly related to lower IQ.

It might help to explain a lot of what you see in your own neighborhoods everyday.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 17th, 2023, 10:15 pm

When last allyuh make split peas rice with salt fish?
In d mood for that bad.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 17th, 2023, 10:45 pm

88sins wrote:When last allyuh make split peas rice with salt fish?
In d mood for that bad.

kitchree? I could do without the sailfish cooked in, or maybe make it a fire roast buljol as a side to go with it.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » May 18th, 2023, 6:00 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:
88sins wrote:When last allyuh make split peas rice with salt fish?
In d mood for that bad.

kitchree? I could do without the sailfish cooked in, or maybe make it a fire roast buljol as a side to go with it.

buh if d bacalau eh mix een it does be like it missing something important :lol:

but for real, that with a nice salad, and a tall cold mauby.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 8th, 2023, 12:36 pm

Talking to my great-uncle today and he said that he learned from his grandmother that you're supposed to boil green fig with the skin in new aluminum pots to get a dark glaze inside it to cure the pot before using it to cook food. And let the glaze build up and never scrub it off with Brasso to get it shiny again.

Old ppl knowledge I guess.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 8th, 2023, 1:15 pm

BhanDhania - Bhan means Sister Dhania means Coriander it means a sister to the Coriander herb which the Indians discovered when they came to Trinidad. It was never harvested or used before.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 8th, 2023, 3:02 pm

maj. tom wrote:Talking to my great-uncle today and he said that he learned from his grandmother that you're supposed to boil green fig with the skin in new aluminum pots to get a dark glaze inside it to cure the pot before using it to cook food. And let the glaze build up and never scrub it off with Brasso to get it shiny again.

Old ppl knowledge I guess.

Nah yuh see that fig stain? it does spoil good pot. It's resiny and greasy and a good PITA to wash out.

Never heard about that to cure pot.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 8th, 2023, 3:03 pm

Pricesmart has a decent sized air fryer for 600. finally bit the bullet and bought one.
Tried a couple chicken recipes and they came out good. Wanna experiment with some other stuff, so if y'all have any fresh ideas holla

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 8th, 2023, 3:05 pm

great for quick jerk meats

makes idiot proof crispy skin pork

VexXx Dogg wrote:Pricesmart has a decent sized air fryer for 600. finally bit the bullet and bought one.
Tried a couple chicken recipes and they came out good. Wanna experiment with some other stuff, so if y'all have any fresh ideas holla

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 8th, 2023, 3:05 pm

I looking at the Instant Pot brand Vortex air fryer, just waiting on a sale. That Gormia or whatever brand Costco/PriceSmart have I didn't like the reviews on it.

Edit: wait nah it on sale now! https://www.instanthome.com/product/instant-appliances/vortex-plus/10-quart-air-fryer
Last edited by maj. tom on June 8th, 2023, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 8th, 2023, 3:07 pm

maj. tom wrote:I looking at the Instapot brand Vortex air fryer, just waiting on a sale. That Gormia or whatever brand Costco/PriceSmart have I didn't like the reviews on it.

Reviews not bad.
Plenty unknown brands on the market tbh. for 600, if I get a few years of service 3-5x monthly I'll be happy

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 8th, 2023, 3:28 pm

The fig stain, I assume it making the aluminum oxide layer more tenacious and harder to scratch while cooking and you're not supposed to scrub it off. Since bananas have alkaline salts. The dark glaze is probably that, like a blueing process similar to steel? I mean you definitely don't want to cook in shiny Aluminium.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 8th, 2023, 6:25 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Pricesmart has a decent sized air fryer for 600. finally bit the bullet and bought one.

Rosemary potatoes and buffalo wings are two dishes that come out very good in the air fryer

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 8th, 2023, 9:16 pm

We have one of the instant pot air fryer lid.

It works good with the instant pot.

I'd you have the instant pot and would like to get the lid, let me know. We don't really use it and wifey has some hopes to get a combo oven and air fryer.

maj. tom wrote:I looking at the Instant Pot brand Vortex air fryer, just waiting on a sale. That Gormia or whatever brand Costco/PriceSmart have I didn't like the reviews on it.

Edit: wait nah it on sale now! https://www.instanthome.com/product/instant-appliances/vortex-plus/10-quart-air-fryer

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » June 8th, 2023, 9:20 pm

I have the air fryer oven, makes wonderful air fry BBQ chicken. Superb!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”