garage door

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

garage door

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 18th, 2013, 12:48 pm

I'm putting a garage door perhaps about 10-12 feet x 7-8 feet

I checked a couple places and they all have more or less the same cookie cutter, generic garage doors that look like this - which I don't like

but I am looking for something more contemporary like this

I am thinking of using a commercial roll-up door instead, not sure if there are any disadvantages though. Im sure the commercial roll-up will be more secure though it may be noisy and much more expensive

anyone with experience can offer advice?

or even if I get the normal garage door but without the embossed shapes on it, so it will be flat like this - I like

could even put a thin wood veneer on it like this

dougla_boy
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: garage door

Postby dougla_boy » March 18th, 2013, 12:59 pm

u tried Atlas Rolling Doors and Shutters? they had a selection last time i dealt with them.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » March 18th, 2013, 1:04 pm

contact rooks...his son did my gate work

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » March 18th, 2013, 1:13 pm

All dat for ah evo? *jussayin*

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » March 18th, 2013, 1:14 pm

those lego panes (first pic) break up and need putting back together once in a while....

industrial roll up might be better...

M_2NR
not Admin

Postby M_2NR » March 18th, 2013, 1:37 pm

crossdrilled wrote:All dat for ah evo? *jussayin*

Rolls shipping soon. Man hadda hide it up.

__

BTW interesting thread. Always wonders why whenever i see these automatic doors theirs almost always the one in the first image, sans window cut outs on the first row.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 18th, 2013, 1:39 pm

everyone has essentially the same thing cause usually thats the cheapest one they bring down- and buss price.

industrial one ..is excellent but not necesarily noisy - ive seem some pretty silent ones. and is a garage door they all secure- not like if men comin with jaws of life and torch and stuff...

i'd recommend the stainless steel one.....
reasons: climate- it doesnt rust or stain- easy to clean- when you wash & polish the evo you can polish that too..:lol:
can be embossed with your name / house number
lastly if you dont like the shiny finish of the door you can have it painted or powder coated in any color and pattern of your choice. you can have it looking like the wood veneer or tiles etc..imagine the possibilities.....

or you can have it print screened ( or whatever other method they use -to make illusion pics ) with a pic of the living room- life size and true color -and ppl will think they can walk into the living room- and walk straight into the door..:lol:

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » March 18th, 2013, 1:44 pm

an automatic cornel roller shutter door that size will set you back over 60,000.00ttd before installation.

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » March 18th, 2013, 1:46 pm

That's just one mod he will have to fire in April to recover that sum. Small thing.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » March 18th, 2013, 1:50 pm

security should be considered first....for example, how do you lock those garage doors? There is a video on youtube where a guy unlocks the generic garage door from outside in under 10 seconds. :lol:

but im sure there are ways u can further secure the doors (not meaning bolt and chain like stores on the pavement)

Noise should not be a problem with the metal doors (metal slapping against metal)....i am sure there are DIY ways to make it a bit more quiet.

here are two other places you can try:

Access & Security Solutions Limited
Tel: 628-1250

Diversified Security Technologies Ltd
Tel: 622-2977
Tel 2: 622-2851

maybe u can check out their website to see if there are any pics.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 18th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Ignorant Ignis wrote:an automatic cornel roller shutter door that size will set you back over 60,000.00ttd before installation.
Atlas quoted around TT$16K for solid roller shutter that size plus TT$8500 for the motor

They manufacture it at their factory in T&T so they can make any size.

A comparable regular garage door with motor is around TT$7000 total

So the commercial option is considerably more expensive.

I am thinking of mounting a veneer on the standard white garage door. Not sure how thick or rather how thin the veneer can be to clear the rails.

Anyone ever added a veneer to their garage door?

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » March 18th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Dais rich people ting hoss.

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » March 18th, 2013, 3:13 pm

If Atlas were more competitively priced , i would be looking to that design as well . That looks much better that those white panels. Some would disagree , now with this higher price it would be difficult to sustain that point of view. I see the Atlas sign everyday and wondered , but thanks for the price info Uncle Duane.

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » March 18th, 2013, 3:25 pm

dougla_boy wrote:u tried Atlas Rolling Doors and Shutters? they had a selection last time i dealt with them.

At the establishment I work at I noticed the facility Manager uses this company alot

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » March 18th, 2013, 3:39 pm

You'd mount the Veneer on the portion of the door between the rails. The rails should be behind the garage walls so it would appear that the veneer is end to end from looking at it dead on.

What may be more important is the weight of the veneer and ensuring that the opener and mounting hardware has enough capacity to handle the additional weight.

I am looking at a similar setup with teak or other hardwood when i install mine. My concern is that the structural members and attachment points of those chinese doors being unable to handle the weight. It's easy to upgrade the opener but not the structural bits.

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » March 18th, 2013, 4:55 pm

i guess the tiida deserves much better? *jussayin* :|

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » March 18th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Love that wood veneer look.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » March 18th, 2013, 5:15 pm

ronsin1 wrote:
dougla_boy wrote:u tried Atlas Rolling Doors and Shutters? they had a selection last time i dealt with them.

At the establishment I work at I noticed the facility Manager uses this company alot

hook the boss up self na.... might get ah free juzzy thrown yuh way

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » March 18th, 2013, 5:35 pm

tr1ad wrote:
ronsin1 wrote:

decline that offer and negotiate for your name in green

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 18th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:You'd mount the Veneer on the portion of the door between the rails. The rails should be behind the garage walls so it would appear that the veneer is end to end from looking at it dead on.

What may be more important is the weight of the veneer and ensuring that the opener and mounting hardware has enough capacity to handle the additional weight.

I am looking at a similar setup with teak or other hardwood when i install mine. My concern is that the structural members and attachment points of those chinese doors being unable to handle the weight. It's easy to upgrade the opener but not the structural bits.
thanks!

veneer is very thin so it should not be that heavy. durability is the issue.
My garage door should only be about 12' wide which the motor should more than have capacity for.

you could vinyl wrap the door with a woodgrain or even carbon fibre lol
but you'd still have those ugly embossed rectangles that they have on most doors.

I can't believe that EVERY supplier in T&T brings in the same boring white generic garage door panels - at least someone could bring in ones that were completely flat or with horizontal lines alone

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » March 18th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Those doors use a torsion spring to help assist the motor in lifting the door. If added weight is significant, you could simply adjust the tension on the spring to compensate..

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » March 18th, 2013, 11:58 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:You'd mount the Veneer on the portion of the door between the rails. The rails should be behind the garage walls so it would appear that the veneer is end to end from looking at it dead on.

thanks!

My garage door should only be about 12' wide which the motor should more than have capacity for.

but you'd still have those ugly embossed rectangles that they have on most doors.

I can't believe that EVERY supplier in T&T brings in the same boring white generic garage door panels - at least someone could bring in ones that were completely flat or with horizontal lines alone

they bring it in cause its the cheapest and then buss price....
same thing with pc parts...ever wonder why wizz pc tech and super tech seem to ALWAYS have the SAME items... :lol: :lol:

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » March 19th, 2013, 12:49 am

tr1ad wrote:
ronsin1 wrote:

hoss me eh no big boy dey nah ah done tell alyuh I is the sanitation engineer it does only sound like a big post eh

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 19th, 2013, 2:15 am

Part of the reason for the stamped rectangles is to make the panels more rigid
So they can use less segments and lighter material.

trinivibes
Street 2NR

Postby trinivibes » March 19th, 2013, 6:33 am

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » March 19th, 2013, 7:41 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

thanks!

That's the myopia of sales in Trinidad , even with the same theme and design there are so many options , Atlas has a choice if they want to consider , at the same time some suppliers should be taking orders not making the choice for you .

RIPEBREDFRUIT
18 pounds of Boost

Postby RIPEBREDFRUIT » March 19th, 2013, 8:19 am

most of the Garage roll up doors in trinidad are the THINNER grade ones, manufactured from 26-28 gauge sheeting.
Suppliers LIE to unknowledgable Buyers about the GUAGE of their doors. ( FACT)

Single sheeted doors are acceptable enough for Our CLIMATE, majoriry of the double sided are only manufactured that way for insulation purposes in colder climates.
They are usually filled with FOAM , or styro for those insulating purposes.
As for security, i have been to site visits where a chisel and a Kitchen CAN opener was used to gain entry to the door.
same goes for many of those fancy hardware sold so called " steel doors"

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » March 19th, 2013, 1:03 pm

black start wrote:

i guess the tiida deserves much better? *jussayin* :|

No.... I park that in the road praying to collect insurance from a bunx.

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » March 19th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Call Peter Tang at Garage & Rolling Door company.
# in the book. or cell 678-5437
Tell him Darren referred you. He has a variety of options at very, very competitive prices.

You're welcome.

Ignorant Ignis
punchin NOS

Postby Ignorant Ignis » March 19th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Mr. Red Sleeper wrote:Call Peter Tang at Garage & Rolling Door company.
# in the book. or cell 678-5437
Tell him Darren referred you. He has a variety of options at very, very competitive prices.
You're welcome.

lol....he still in business?

dont waste your time ...cornel will sell you the door at the same price he buys it for out of miami and ship it in your self

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”