Forums

Tablet for Kids. Suggestions?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Tablet for Kids. Suggestions?

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 4th, 2013, 11:07 am

WM_Tuner wrote:OP: To clarify the nook hd+ does not come with any cameras, also it does not have GPS. At the budget $1100 TT you may have to look at getting something along the lines of an ipad 2 used for those features. If you are getting it for kids, I'd recommend getting a sturdy case for protection.
that is exaclty what I recommended - I don't know if they purchased a tablet as yet

Ronaldo95163
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ronaldo95163 » November 4th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Ronaldo95163 wrote:What tewts allyuh talking???

Chirren not even putting the laptops that the gubberment give them to good use. Most of them watching blues on it and beasting game on it in their free time.

So wth would you even consider forking out +$1000 on an iPad or any other tablet or anything for a ONE YEAR OLD child. It's a wasting money plain and simple.
so you are going to prevent your child from using a well proven educational tool just because of the actions of some wayward children and their incompetent parents who can't monitor them?

Yes. Not because of the actions of other children but because it's not worth it tbh.

Strauss wrote:
Ronaldo95163 wrote:What tewts allyuh talking???

Chirren not even putting the laptops that the gubberment give them to good use. Most of them watching blues on it and beasting game on it in their free time.

So wth would you even consider forking out +$1000 on an iPad or any other tablet or anything for a ONE YEAR OLD child. It's a wasting money plain and simple.

This is ignorance.

How can children have a proper future if parents think like this? If the child abuses the technology, the problem is the PARENT.

Also I don't believe you really understand what an iPad does and why it is replacing laptops in early learning or used to teach infants.

I bet my daughter 3 year old can show you a few things in Photoshop. Or how to edit a video in iMovie.

There are many cheaper ways.

BTW I don't mind if the Ipad is the parent/some other adult own in the house and they letting the child use it but i'm against buying an Ipad specifically for the child

Strauss
Shifting into 6th

Postby Strauss » November 4th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Ronaldo95163 wrote:There are many cheaper ways.

BTW I don't mind if the Ipad is the parent/some other adult own in the house and they letting the child use it but i'm against buying an Ipad specifically for the child

This is what I did.

After seeing her use it, I don't regret it one bit. In fact now I encourage everyone to do the same. $2500 is nothing to pay when you put it against the value of what the iPad was MADE FOR. My god man.. the apps... the APPS !!!

You can't see it unless you have it.

WM_Tuner
Street 2NR

Postby WM_Tuner » November 5th, 2013, 7:06 am

The new ipad Air looks like a beast of a tablet, certainly would help with school work for kids. Parents have to supervise their kids, same with tv and phones etc.
Teachers still have some biases against new tech, my son's teacher told him not to use a computer to do his school project and my wife was like how else we supposed to do it? lol changing times...

kevin5211
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kevin5211 » November 5th, 2013, 7:34 am

At that budget you can probly get a an AOC breeze tablet locally. Runs on android, works fairly well. Or the galaxy tab 3 is a real beast of a tablet if u can afford it. I have one that my two year old uses for games and youtube vids.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » November 5th, 2013, 8:25 am

Could too much interaction with electronic media cause problems for children?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/adhd-awar ... -adhd.aspx

Just something to think about as well.

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » November 5th, 2013, 9:04 am

^this has always been my concern ESPECIALLY at the rate in which these "Electronic media devices" are being made attainable to all.
How does this affect a childs ability to play & interact with others, which im sure you'll agree is fundamental in a childs development.?
Outdoor activities- wont we see a decline in sporting participation by kids?
Will they even know how to ride a bike?
And as the quoted topic Pete posted, would school education become boring and laborious to most kids?
What has to be made very aware to parents, is that supervision and time limits have to be set to allow for other needed activities.

While these tabs/devices are new and every parent wants to give their child one, the fact remains that a monster can be created so easily that may not be as easy to subdue.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 5th, 2013, 9:15 am

^ which is why parent supervision is important. The child should not be denied the opportunity just because there is insufficient monitoring and guidance form the parent.

We are progressing.

I'm sure when the whole concept of kids spending all day in school, parents were mortified that children would no longer spend important time doing chores, milking the cow, feeding the sheep and bailing hay. Parents probably wondered in horror if their child would spend all day reading a book instead of working on the farm to put food on the table. Can they eat the book?!!! Oh no! teh horrorz.

The same time a child spends watching TV or playing Playstation or Nintendo they can spend learning on a tablet. It is interactive and educational, even if it appears to be a game for them.

It is already very established too:
iTunes U is an accredited learning resource supported by schools, education systems and universities to provide actual course work to students via the iPad
http://www.apple.com/education/ipad/itunes-u/

if there is a decline of sports, outdoor activity and bike riding then that is a result of poor parenting, not the fault of a tablet. It is only a learning tool.

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » November 5th, 2013, 9:24 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I'm sure when the whole concept of kids spending all day in school, parents were mortified that children would no longer spend important time doing chores, milking the cow, feeding the sheep and bailing hay.

They dont have an app for that yet? :lol: :lol:

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 5th, 2013, 9:35 am

Mr. Red Sleeper wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I'm sure when the whole concept of kids spending all day in school, parents were mortified that children would no longer spend important time doing chores, milking the cow, feeding the sheep and bailing hay.

They dont have an app for that yet? :lol: :lol:
yup
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hay-day/id506627515

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » November 5th, 2013, 9:51 am

Really thought that would be a link to farmville. :lol:

WM_Tuner
Street 2NR

Postby WM_Tuner » November 5th, 2013, 10:09 am

When I went to school it was chalk and talk. In work here everybody uses a computer ..from google lookup to calculation software and CAD, a lot of things are now based on computer skills. So imagine twenty years from now how integrated technology will be in the workplace. And most primary schools in Trinidad today are still using the same chalk and talk methods.
When my sister did French for A levels, she was able to use the computer and the internet to get a lot of resources that previously you would not have access to in those days. Now with iTunes you could information on almost anything very easily.

livewire
3NE 2NR for life

Postby livewire » November 5th, 2013, 12:45 pm

I got a used ipad first gen, cheap right on tuner, this was bought especially for my then 2 year old over year ago and after looking at all that was mentioned above. He still uses it and all I do is change apps now and then, never regretted buying it, and within your budget. Jailbreaks easily so have a bit more freedom and apps for kids are really inexpensive. Puzzles, learning games, colouring etc are fairly cheap and plentiful.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 5th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Ronaldo95163 wrote:There are many cheaper ways.
such as?

Ronaldo95163 wrote:BTW I don't mind if the Ipad is the parent/some other adult own in the house and they letting the child use it but i'm against buying an Ipad specifically for the child
tha tis not what you said earlier.

i agree though that the parent can have one and let the child use it however there is good value in buying one for your child: these devices are personal and they they remember what you like and offer content around your likes and preferences. If a child uses netflix or the appstore then the choices i n movies or apps will be based on their age group and interests. If a child picks up a parents' iPad then there would be content there that is not appropriate for a child - similarly having your child use your iPad means that eventually your iPad gets filled with childish content.

Strauss
Shifting into 6th

Postby Strauss » November 5th, 2013, 5:18 pm

pete wrote:Really thought that would be a link to farmville. :lol:

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 5th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:https://www.play-i.com/

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » November 5th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Will sell my prestine condition Ipad 4 16GB very soon

For cheap

X2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X2 » November 5th, 2013, 11:33 pm

Ipad.... kids adapt to it quick... on a budget, consider a used ipad off amazon or ebay.

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Postby ruffrider27 » November 10th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 10th, 2013, 2:59 pm

ruffrider27 wrote:The leap pad ultra looks good .

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... tt=Leappad
I bought one of these for my son and it is REALLY SLOW.
It takes about 20 seconds to open an app and about 60 seconds to go to the home screen!
There is NO free content other than the one free app you get when you purchase it and there are only 20 paid apps available. The Apps are not very well made. We sold it after a week.

iPad has thousands of educational kids apps and they are great quality from studios like PBS Kids, Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, National Geographic, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet etc as well as scholastic content from pre K, K-12 and up from iTunes U.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 10th, 2013, 4:22 pm

yeah the LeapPad has a very slow single core processor. Waste of time, even for kids.

This one looks interesting though, nice price for those specs! the chip ripping!! 1.3GHz NVIDIA Tegra 3 A9 Quad-Core Mobile processor.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NABI-2-with-WiFi-7-Touchscreen-Kids-Tablet-PC/21106759

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » November 10th, 2013, 4:34 pm

pioneer wrote:Will sell my prestine condition Ipad 4 16GB very soon

For cheap

Pristine, and lemme know as I wanna get summin to start dem chirren off wit.

Strauss
Shifting into 6th

Postby Strauss » November 11th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Let people buy crap if they want.

I give up. Seriously, if someone cannot take MY advice they need to go their own way. This choice (tablets for KIDS) is a no-brainer... or so I thought.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 11th, 2013, 10:44 pm

maj. tom wrote:yeah the LeapPad has a very slow single core processor. Waste of time, even for kids.

This one looks interesting though, nice price for those specs! the chip ripping!! 1.3GHz NVIDIA Tegra 3 A9 Quad-Core Mobile processor.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/NABI-2-with-WiFi-7-Touchscreen-Kids-Tablet-PC/21106759
looks good and it's Android based however because it uses a proprietary flavour of Android OS it means it cannot use all Android apps and is missing very useful features such as Google Now.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » December 4th, 2013, 8:35 pm

if your child is under 7yrs old can u guys post a sample pic of the handwriting from a school book?

it is my opinion that a child under 7yrs has to learn and master the fundamentals before those tablets...
especially handwriting, fine and gross motor skills
holding a pencil/pen, cursive writing, stacking and manipulating physical resources
e.g) stacking, moving blocks etc, bumping a ball continiously (like basket ball)
catching, throwing a ball, run, jump, hop on a spot

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » December 4th, 2013, 9:39 pm

There's a handwriting app :|

Stylus an all

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » December 4th, 2013, 10:11 pm

nothing can beat pen/pencil on paper

Strauss
Shifting into 6th

Postby Strauss » December 5th, 2013, 9:23 am

X_Factor wrote:if your child is under 7yrs old can u guys post a sample pic of the handwriting from a school book?

it is my opinion that a child under 7yrs has to learn and master the fundamentals before those tablets...
especially handwriting, fine and gross motor skills
holding a pencil/pen, cursive writing, stacking and manipulating physical resources
e.g) stacking, moving blocks etc, bumping a ball continiously (like basket ball)
catching, throwing a ball, run, jump, hop on a spot

You clearly don't have an iPad.

My daughter is learning to read, write, draw and paint faster with the iPad, then use those skills on her real chalk board and canvas & paint.

She is even putting on makeup using the iPad. Also has a virtual cash register that can read the bar codes off our grocery items by waving it over the iPad.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » December 5th, 2013, 9:50 am

X2 wrote:Ipad.... kids adapt to it quick... on a budget, consider a used ipad off amazon or
ebay.

amazon and ebay prices for used ipads are expensive imo.....even the old ipad 2's
if you actually do find one cheap thats because somthing is wrong with it

pioneer
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby pioneer » December 5th, 2013, 9:55 am

$3,000 prestine iPad 4 16gb

Invellop smart case and zagg hd screen protector

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”