TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Letter of Administration were there's no will.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: Letter of Administration were there's no will.

Postby abbow » September 22nd, 2014, 2:34 pm

Thanks for sharing the tips bro....well done.

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Postby ruffrider27 » September 24th, 2014, 9:46 am

if in case the decease left a joint account or beneficiary there's no need for this to go part of the estate
certain banks don't have an option for leaving accounts to a beneficiary but all do joint .

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Postby ruffrider27 » December 8th, 2014, 1:17 pm

update since my last post finally got the LOA today.

learn alot from the experience, please free 2ners to ask about anything about this matter.

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » December 8th, 2014, 2:22 pm

glad to hear you got it..

simple as having this document can save alot of family troubles in the future.

ruffrider27
Riding on 16's

Postby ruffrider27 » December 8th, 2014, 2:44 pm

abbow wrote:glad to hear you got it..

simple as having this document can save alot of family troubles in the future.

yes it's true and put things in place for my children -children's

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » January 4th, 2022, 9:46 pm

ruffrider27 wrote:update since my last post finally got the LOA today.

learn alot from the experience, please free 2ners to ask about anything about this matter.
What was the total cost for the entire process?

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » January 5th, 2022, 6:05 am

wtf wrote:
ruffrider27 wrote:update since my last post finally got the LOA today.

What was the total cost for the entire process?
Depends on the value of the estate bro

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Letter of Administration were there's no will.

Postby j.o.e » January 5th, 2022, 6:57 am

Very informative thread. Can we give advice from another perspective. What should you do to make the process smooth for family if you move on to the forever after ? Specific to Trinidad ….. is a will advised ?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 5th, 2022, 7:14 am

j.o.e wrote:Very informative thread. Can we give advice from another perspective. What should you do to make the process smooth for family if you move on to the forever after ? Specific to Trinidad ….. is a will advised ?
A properly registered will and some form of funeral plan eg. FIP to sort out the short term expense

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » January 5th, 2022, 9:51 am

timelapse wrote:
j.o.e wrote:Very informative thread. Can we give advice from another perspective. What should you do to make the process smooth for family if you move on to the forever after ? Specific to Trinidad ….. is a will advised ?
A properly registered will and some form of funeral plan eg. FIP to sort out the short term expense

Key word ‘ registered ‘ . Could have edits done that never registered and relattvesbb B being fooled

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » January 5th, 2022, 10:40 am

Kenjo wrote:
timelapse wrote:

Key word ‘ registered ‘ . Could have edits done that never registered and relattvesbb B being fooled

Correct... i know families who have been victims of fake wills. Although it was overturned in court, it took years and expense. The more valuable the estate is, expect a lot of BS. During that time, parts of the estate can deteriorate (like a house) and depreciate (like vehicles or equipment). Also the added expense if the property is vacant and unkempt during court which can attract penalties from health department and tax office of the regional/borough/city corporation. Worse yet if somebody rogue living on the property like a family member who "feel" they entitled or a total stranger like a piper who might burn your property down.

A good way to mitigate is not just registering the will but to assign beneficiaries to persons while you alive so when you pass away, it automatically transfers to them. Insurance for example, you assign a beneficiary one time. For property you make it joint tenant with whoever the person or persons are. Bank accounts you make it joint. A weird thing to do is to leave something for family members who you think is troublesome and planning to fight for your estate. I have seen courts give to immediate family members like a son or daughter who are not mentioned in a will because the court feels "sorry" for them. Estate hack: You have a bank account where in the will, you assign the suspected rogue members to it but in reality the account is for funeral expenses so what's left when the funeral done is only a few hundred dollars in it.

A stronger way to make the process smooth is give to person or persons while you are alive, or even sell to have liquid cash which will then be easier to distribute in your own terms.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » January 5th, 2022, 10:52 am

How does one go abut setting up a will?

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » January 5th, 2022, 11:07 am

dogg wrote:How does one go abut setting up a will?

Lawyer

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 5th, 2022, 12:49 pm

Once you get the will from a lawyer, get it vetted by a second lawyer to make sure the first lawyer doesn't include himself as a beneficiary.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » January 5th, 2022, 12:53 pm

timelapse wrote:Once you get the will from a lawyer, get it vetted by a second lawyer to make sure the first lawyer doesn't include himself as a beneficiary.

Lol what

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 5th, 2022, 12:59 pm

I have seen horror stories with certain old school lawyers robbing people blindly with legal jargon.One from La Romain, one from Freeport and one from Cunupia.They ended up with people's properties when they died.
Best case situation,if is property, do a joint tenancy while you alive with the person/persons you want to leave it for.Once one party dies, it goes to the survivor/s .Not to be confused with tenants in common.Thats another kind of arrangement.
Don't be like ole injuns ' dey go fight for it wen ah ded'.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 8th, 2022, 4:59 pm

Right in time.

Not sure how to proceed as the person leaving the country in less than 24 hours.

House is in person name as well as vehicles but step mother moved out with the docs. I.e. will, marriage certificate as proof he is married to the individuals mother and certified copies for the vehicles.

We have documentation from mowt site as proof the vehicles belong to the person so that was removed from the property.

Already applied to legal affairs for a copy of the marriage certificate with permission granted for me to recieve such. Driver's permit and letter I will be getting in a few hours.

We don't have the will however. Where can we get a copy of such? Visited the lawyers office today although he not there and got a contact number to try and get a copy of the house deed. Is there anywhere else we can acquire such?

We got a doc draughted up from an attorney letting the step mother know she has to leave because she didn't want to. She already move out anything that not tied down down to bricks that were in the yard.

Locks were changed yesterday and whatever inside is inside. Keys were never handed over. I had to use my skills to get in through the burglar proof.

Can they also access the property saying they have stuff locked up in the house that belongs to them?

It has a star wars metal lunch box in the house.....ah just saying....is not mine....but is a metal lunch box, star wars....can I make that mine? I have the keys for the property.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » January 8th, 2022, 5:20 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Right in time.

Not sure how to proceed as the person leaving the country in less than 24 hours.

House is in person name as well as vehicles but step mother moved out with the docs. I.e. will, marriage certificate as proof he is married to the individuals mother and certified copies for the vehicles.

We have documentation from mowt site as proof the vehicles belong to the person so that was removed from the property.

Already applied to legal affairs for a copy of the marriage certificate with permission granted for me to recieve such. Driver's permit and letter I will be getting in a few hours.

We don't have the will however. Where can we get a copy of such? Visited the lawyers office today although he not there and got a contact number to try and get a copy of the house deed. Is there anywhere else we can acquire such?

We got a doc draughted up from an attorney letting the step mother know she has to leave because she didn't want to. She already move out anything that not tied down down to bricks that were in the yard.

Locks were changed yesterday and whatever inside is inside. Keys were never handed over. I had to use my skills to get in through the burglar proof.

Can they also access the property saying they have stuff locked up in the house that belongs to them?

It has a star wars metal lunch box in the house.....ah just saying....is not mine....but is a metal lunch box, star wars....can I make that mine? I have the keys for the property.
Nervewrecker,

If there is a will like you said there is also supposed to be a executor , they should have a copy of the will as well. Probably someone very close to the deceased , try to find out who that could be.

Also legally no one is supposed to claim anything in the house as the belongings are still under the deceased name until that will is probated and read then those belongings are supposed to stay in tact but that's how it's supposed to be legally

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » January 8th, 2022, 5:39 pm

Nerve: The lawyer who did the will must have a copy. Getting a copy might be an issue though if the lawyer suspects people are already fighting for property before the person dies.

And as Hover said: whoever is the executor also supposed to have a copy BUT sometimes the executor does not even know they are the executor until the person dies.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » January 8th, 2022, 5:40 pm

Hover and blufete are correct.

If you can't get information from family members, don't know the executor or even the attorneys that did the will (if attorneys was involved at all) you will never know. Sometimes a person doesn't even know they are the executor of a will until they see the will.

You can check Probate to see if anyone has applied for the deceased estate recently, and make sure you have the death certificate so they can check. If someone did, you can get a copy of the file and estate number. If not, you just have to assume there is no will and let whoever apply for letters of administration. It is only then you can see who will jump out and challenge the application (with a will for example).

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 8th, 2022, 5:48 pm

When we get in contact with the lawyer hopefully he can furnish a copy and we can find the perosn to execute it.

The person had no interest in the property or items there. Is only when the step mother up and try to claim things she was served notice to leave.

Out of kindness they were allowed to leave with a number of items verbay agreed on. Like tanks etc.

But is a complete clean out. Down to light bulb gone and she said she would be out by this weekend. Is only when a casual pass through was made we see what going on so we changed the locks.

You have your belongings in the house locked up and cleaning out everything outside. If you had focused on taking your things you would have had them.

I eyeing a lunch kit and geometry set. Level white board markers, pencil, pen, staples, sticky paper....that's a jackpot for me. But I behaving....

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 9th, 2022, 8:20 am

Talk to sister devi and ask her about the will. Or she could probably talk directly to the deceased for you one time

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » January 9th, 2022, 8:23 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Talk to sister devi and ask her about the will. Or she could probably talk directly to the deceased for you one time
ROFLLLL

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » January 9th, 2022, 9:53 am

The_Honourable wrote:Hover and blufete are correct.

If you can't get information from family members, don't know the executor or even the attorneys that did the will (if attorneys was involved at all) you will never know. Sometimes a person doesn't even know they are the executor of a will until they see the will.

You can check Probate to see if anyone has applied for the deceased estate recently, and make sure you have the death certificate so they can check. If someone did, you can get a copy of the file and estate number. If not, you just have to assume there is no will and let whoever apply for letters of administration. It is only then you can see who will jump out and challenge the application (with a will for example).
If yuh don't get a copy of the will from the lawyer,yuh might have to check the newspaper every Thursday to see when the will or L.O.A. for the deceased is posted and who claiming to be the executor.That could go on for months or years

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » January 9th, 2022, 11:09 am

Kenjo wrote:
timelapse wrote:Once you get the will from a lawyer, get it vetted by a second lawyer to make sure the first lawyer doesn't include himself as a beneficiary.

Lol what
My thoughts exactly.
If you can't read then I could see this happening.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » January 9th, 2022, 12:27 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:Hover and blufete are correct.

If yuh don't get a copy of the will from the lawyer,yuh might have to check the newspaper every Thursday to see when the will or L.O.A. for the deceased is posted and who claiming to be the executor.That could go on for months or years

Agreed, had one personal matter that was filed and it reach papers 2 1/2 years later. The attorney kept making the excuse that probate "making up queries" to get a bribe. While that explanation was plausible, when I got wiser it turned out the attorney was making basic mistakes in the application and was taking his cool time to respond to them. Eventually got thru but over a year was wasted and unnecessary supplemental affidavits. Never recommended him to anyone. That is also why i mentioned earlier that you can go with the death certificate and check probate occasionally (every 3-6 months) and see if any application is filed because a lot of cases is filed and active for a few years before it reach papers.

Yes not just Thursday papers but also on the T&T Gazette which is available online. You can type the deceased person name (must match with death certificate) on google and see if it comes up on the gazette. Example "John Doe Trinidad Tobago Gazette".

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 9th, 2022, 1:30 pm

wtf wrote:
Kenjo wrote:

Lol what
My thoughts exactly.
If you can't read then I could see this happening.
Besides basic reading, legal jargon ties up some people like market crab

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » March 2nd, 2022, 12:00 am

Trying to assist a coworker , his mom died and had dementia, wrote a will but left him out as an only child.Property was given to friends of the deceased.Can he contest it?
Last edited by hover11 on March 2nd, 2022, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » March 2nd, 2022, 12:05 am

hover11 wrote:Trying to assist a coworker , his mom died and had dementia, wrote a will but left him out as an only child. Can he contest it?
He will need medical proof & date and date of when will was made.

Will must be made before she was diagnosed with dementia for it to stand. If not then it's fraud with the person named in the will.

Or he's gonna have to get people that knew she had dementia via affidavits before the will was made

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » March 2nd, 2022, 12:39 am

zoom rader wrote:
hover11 wrote:Trying to assist a coworker , his mom died and had dementia, wrote a will but left him out as an only child. Can he contest it?
He will need medical proof & date and date of when will was made.

Will must be made before she was diagnosed with dementia for it to stand. If not then it's fraud with the person named in the will.

Or he's gonna have to get people that knew she had dementia via affidavits before the will was made

Zoom is correct. Your co-worker also needs to know the identities of the witnesses to see if any suspect individuals are involved.

That being said, did your co-worker had a good relationship with the deceased? Co-worker might tell you yes but it may be otherwise in reality. There are many cases of someone disowning their child or children, didn't speak to them for decades, and when the person dies, said children benefitted from the estate.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”