Help---Goulds Water pump prob (vid)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Help---Goulds Water pump prob (vid)

Postby toyolink » January 28th, 2019, 10:51 am

When I had a similar problem the following fix worked;
-I removed the line below my pressure switch and found rust and other sediments clogging the port in the pump into which the line is connected. I cleared the blockage and ensured line was clean and reinstalled.
I now do this exercise anytime my system seems not to hold pressure and pump is cutting in too quickly.
Apparently as pumps age the internals in the pump head corrodes and scales of rust come loose and can clog the line that interfaces with the pressure switch.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 28th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Update: as a couple of other tuners hinted at...the tank had water in it...little to my knowledge, this eventually led to a damaged thermostat and capacitor gave out as well....

Everything back to normal though...thanks fellas..

E bounce

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » January 28th, 2019, 5:04 pm

that should have been the first thing to check since its the easiest

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 28th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Which thermostat you talking about ?

If your install is high frequency usage go with a larger pressure tank to reduce the on/off cycles which burn more current and stress the bearings and capacitor to some extent. The constant filling and emptying of the pressure tank also is hard on the rubber bladder in it.
Larger tanks go up in price exponentially though.

There is also a device called a cycle stop valve which also does the same and can be used with the minimum size tank. It is about $70 on eBay and works great. Rotoplastics is also the agent but costs more there.

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Update: as a couple of other tuners hinted at...the tank had water in it...little to my knowledge, this eventually led to a damaged thermostat and capacitor gave out as well....

E bounce

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » January 28th, 2019, 9:43 pm

pugboy wrote:Which thermostat you talking about ?

If your install is high frequency usage go with a larger pressure tank to reduce the on/off cycles which burn more current and stress the bearings and capacitor to some extent. The constant filling and emptying of the pressure tank also is hard on the rubber bladder in it.

There is also a device called a cycle stop valve which also does the same and can be used with the minimum size tank. It is about $70 on eBay and works great. Rotoplastics is also the agent but costs more there.

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Update: as a couple of other tuners hinted at...the tank had water in it...little to my knowledge, this eventually led to a damaged thermostat and capacitor gave out as well....

E bounce

X2, I bought a 50L (iirc) at Ramlagan for about $1500 a couple years ago. The pressure tank does not have to be installed on the pump, just on a branch off the high pressure side close to the pump. Install with a valve and union for ease of replacement if you going this route.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 29th, 2019, 5:56 am

Is there a way to calculate what size pump your house needs?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 29th, 2019, 7:49 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Is there a way to calculate what size pump your house needs?
Yes. It is typically calculated by looking at your plumbing isometric and site plan details.

It depends on the number of fixtures, size of delivery pipe, length of delivery pipe, number of occupants. and maximum delivery height of fixtures.

The calculation is run for each floor.

Or you just buy the biggest pump that you can afford.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 29th, 2019, 8:12 am

a goulds j5s 1/2hp is usually quite sufficient for most 2 storey homes with 2 baths

horse for horse a goulds is more efficient and less likely to burn than the competition,
you can see by the size of the impeller inside that it obviously will move more water.

A goulds will work better with a 60psi cutoff pressure switch whilst a pentax will struggle to reach 60psi and better suited for a 50psi switch.

I have had 3 practically brand new pentax burn, no idea how come as they were not being overused or had any short cycling problem.
The goulds we have at home has been through hell and back, shortcycled for months with leaky check valve,
yet only required change of bearings and shaft seal.

The goulds do have a flat rubber diaphragm inside the venturi which gets hard and probably loses a tiny bit of efficiency later on
it can crack and then wont give much pressure at all.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 29th, 2019, 8:32 am

airuma wrote:
pugboy wrote:Which thermostat you talking about ?

E bounce

X2, I bought a 50L (iirc) at Ramlagan for about $1500 a couple years ago. The pressure tank does not have to be installed on the pump, just on a branch off the high pressure side close to the pump. Install with a valve and union for ease of replacement if you going this route.
Pressurized water tanks with a diaphragm haven't been around forever. Originally, tanks simply had an air charge above the water. Any vessel safe for potable water can be used.

I have seen the tanks from 50 gal water heaters used a few times.

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » January 29th, 2019, 11:27 am

pugboy wrote:a goulds j5s 1/2hp is usually quite sufficient for most 2 storey homes with 2 baths

horse for horse a goulds is more efficient and less likely to burn than the competition,
you can see by the size of the impeller inside that it obviously will move more water.

A goulds will work better with a 60psi cutoff pressure switch whilst a pentax will struggle to reach 60psi and better suited for a 50psi switch.

I have had 3 practically brand new pentax burn, no idea how come as they were not being overused or had any short cycling problem.
The goulds we have at home has been through hell and back, shortcycled for months with leaky check valve,

The goulds do have a flat rubber diaphragm inside the venturi which gets hard and probably loses a tiny bit of efficiency later on
supply voltage?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 29th, 2019, 11:38 am

Gould’s motors usually have both windings so there are some jumper setting to configure for which voltage.

Sundar wrote:
pugboy wrote:a goulds j5s 1/2hp is usually quite sufficient for most 2 storey homes with 2 baths

supply voltage?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 30th, 2019, 6:29 am

problem continues...d fork......in kitchen last night, all of a sudden pump cut off...........breaker didn't trip, no humming coming from pump(hell no noise at all)...eet just gone

if it's the motor...I'm buying another

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 30th, 2019, 6:41 am

dont panic

that sounding like a different problem, did they hook back the wires securely, in the pressure switch etc ?

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:problem continues...d fork......in kitchen last night, all of a sudden pump cut off...........breaker didn't trip, no humming coming from pump(hell no noise at all)...eet just gone

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 30th, 2019, 7:03 am

pugboy wrote:dont panic

that sounding like a different problem, did they hook back the wires securely, in the pressure switch etc ?

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:problem continues...d fork......in kitchen last night, all of a sudden pump cut off...........breaker didn't trip, no humming coming from pump(hell no noise at all)...eet just gone

i'm gonna open the back in a few, the pressure switch area seems fine...wires not overly exposed

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 30th, 2019, 7:39 am

If you know how to hook up the ttec wires directly on the pressure switch to bypass the pressure switch you could try that
It should make the pump spin immediately

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 30th, 2019, 11:23 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Alright...so I went back in he arse this morning...centrifugal switch kinda v shaped, light grey?? Connectors are not worn similar to the one posted in the vid???...gonna check tank in a few....so I noticed if I leave a pipe on at max...the pump runs fine without continuous click on and off.....shrugs shoulders

is there a pressure gauge on the pump discharge side? if so, what pressure do u observe when the pump cycles on and off? what do u see when when it remains running continuous? what do u see exactly when it is unplugged and all taps closed, i.e. not water usage?

most likely, the high pressure cut off and low pressure cut in are too near each other,

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 30th, 2019, 11:25 am

funny story time...so I decided to remove pressure switch(after eyeballing it) flicking roach reached in there and shock up he mc so the points were not grounded properly(cuz it was roasted to pieces)...cleaned out switch and reinstalled....wukking good now

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » January 30th, 2019, 11:46 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:funny story time...so I decided to remove pressure switch(after eyeballing it) flicking roach reached in there and shock up he mc so the points were not grounded properly(cuz it was roasted to pieces)...cleaned out switch and reinstalled....wukking good now

Yup batchac ants does get in my switch and cause the pump to not come on sometimes....

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » January 30th, 2019, 5:38 pm

plenty good info here, will do a proper read later.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 30th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Btw If you have a roach problem
Use a chemical called triton from Caribbean chemicals
It is a good residual insecticide, will kill roaches for months after. Just spray where they crawl
Cracks crevices etc

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:funny story time...so I decided to remove pressure switch(after eyeballing it) flicking roach reached in there and shock up he mc so the points were not grounded properly(cuz it was roasted to pieces)...cleaned out switch and reinstalled....wukking good now

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 30th, 2019, 7:47 pm

pugboy wrote:Btw If you have a roach problem
Use a chemical called triton from Caribbean chemicals
It is a good residual insecticide, will kill roaches for months after. Just spray where they crawl
Cracks crevices etc

No roach problem...just the one off that pass tru...I usually spray meh black disinfect and ammonia on ah mthly basis...no strange creatures in meh yard

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 30th, 2019, 7:59 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:No roach problem...just the one off that pass tru...

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Postby pjfred » January 30th, 2019, 11:23 pm

York wrote:
pjfred wrote:Where are the brushes in a Gould pump?

On the motor...
On Gould's pump motor there are no brushes instead its a squirrel cage induction rotor with a stator that utilize a start and run winding where the the start winding is energized thru a centrifugal switch.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 31st, 2019, 5:00 am

pentax vs goulds?? the only reason I seeing men using the pentax is cuz it cheaper...I heard some men complain about the smart head business and well that's about it

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 31st, 2019, 5:45 am

smartheads are a woft
you get what you pay for

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:pentax vs goulds?? the only reason I seeing men using the pentax is cuz it cheaper...I heard some men complain about the smart head business and well that's about it

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 31st, 2019, 8:07 am

pugboy wrote:smartheads are a woft
you get what you pay for

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:pentax vs goulds?? the only reason I seeing men using the pentax is cuz it cheaper...I heard some men complain about the smart head business and well that's about it

So goulds ftw

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » January 31st, 2019, 8:10 am

Goulds or none

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 31st, 2019, 11:38 am

Goulds pump. Period.

I've seen goulds manufactured in USA and some made in Mexico selling in the same hardware. The USA one is more expensive. Not sure on the differences.

A properly connected goulds, with pressure tank (well X trol, nothing else), gauge and correctly set pressure switches will outlast any other pump out there especially those smart heads...

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » January 31st, 2019, 11:48 am

Had a Goulds for about 15 years, excellent pump.

Running a Pentax with a largish tank for the last 3 years...no problems.

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » January 31st, 2019, 11:52 am

I saw some one have a Gould about a year now from new and it does literally scream when it comes on.... I told them that sounding like a knock off Gould....

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”