De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: RE: Re: 600 lose jobs at Arcelor Mital

Postby De Dragon » April 10th, 2016, 2:43 am

joker wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:Clearly it's never the employer's fault.

Yes, but when obstructionist union idiots involved, it usually hastens the demise.

Steel in a mess generally though. Mittal would have closed regardless. Mittal already laid off people locally despite the presence of a union. Problem is on both sides. Can't just blame Union alone.

Never said they were solely to blame, but the work ethic, safety at Arcelor Mittal is horrible. This leads to worker apathy and demotivation, but when you have a union encouraging the irresponsible behaviour by defending insubordination, high absenteeism, etc, well nobody wins as we can tell.

joker wrote:A lot of idiots on this topic sah. Apparently they heard the other side of the story not knowing that ampl created Arcelormittal tru subsidies, cheap labour. Not once the topic of acquisitions came into your elaborate minds from 1plant in pt Lisas to over 100 plants globally or never was price transfer mentioned...
Admin staff would've gone home with one or 2mths pay..... Not 50 k but less than 18k and a person with 36 year s service would go home with less than 30k. Excluding vacation and the court judgement . One worker lost over 700k cus of a judgment awarded and company went into liquidation...and
over 2000contract workers would have benefitted from that landmark judgement.

I don't know where people get this sheit about AMPL launching Mittal :roll: While it was one of the first plants that he bought, the strategy of buying up old, failing or mothballed plants is common not only in steel, but many other industries.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Re: 600 lose jobs at Arcelor Mital

Postby zoom rader » April 10th, 2016, 7:49 am

^^^ take no notice of those clowns, most never even worked in heavy industry much less they don't even know where Pt Lisas is.

You think they ever step foot in Mittal, they will probably run and bawl when they hear steel arcing.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » April 10th, 2016, 9:59 am

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:I guess y'all right on this one. Spoke to someone in management who was employed at arcelor. They said the union there wasn't willing to work with the company. Excuses like "not within job spec" were used. No willingness to compromise in terms of working with the company to accept any pay cuts via different methods.

Person also said that what mittal did was unethical though. How not every person was in the union so they got a raw deal by the abrupt pull out.

Same thing where I work, you work like you walking on eggshells, You actually have to sit at your desk and think how to talk to union members.

Some just do what on their job spec and you can't place the following "Assist the department where necessary" The good thing about my company though is that there are few employees like that and most are willing to help and assist everyone. Even the union rep advises how to take action against delinquent employees.

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 10th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Nothing about pay cuts or compromise was mentioned in the meetings also in mittal if u do something other than what u were trained for more than likely would be fatal or that person would be seriously injured .

EmilioA
Riding on 16's

Postby EmilioA » April 10th, 2016, 4:29 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:I guess y'all right on this one. Spoke to someone in management who was employed at arcelor. They said the union there wasn't willing to work with the company. Excuses like "not within job spec" were used. No willingness to compromise in terms of working with the company to accept any pay cuts via different methods.

Person also said that what mittal did was unethical though. How not every person was in the union so they got a raw deal by the abrupt pull out.

Most of the money AM owes is to other AM companies. How the union responsible for that ? Looks like shady accounting, Now that they want to pull they using debt that they never bother about before as an excuse to shut down.

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 10th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Come nah man blame the union or the workers...don't post the truth.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 10th, 2016, 5:33 pm

EmilioA wrote:

Most of the money AM owes is to other AM companies. How the union responsible for that ? Looks like shady accounting, Now that they want to pull they using debt that they never bother about before as an excuse to shut down.

Well I guess that's why they said mittal unethical as well. Just giving actual feedback from someone inside Mittal as opposed to giving and outside view all the time.

EmilioA
Riding on 16's

Postby EmilioA » April 10th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Allergic2BunnyEars wrote:
EmilioA wrote:

Well I guess that's why they said mittal unethical as well. Just giving actual feedback from someone inside Mittal as opposed to giving and outside view all the time.

yeah but --if AM being unethical why was it the union's burden to accept all the cuts ? Any of the management take any salary cuts ? You should ask that to your inside source.

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 10th, 2016, 5:46 pm

Did your inside source tell u that the marketing department had no power and that orders were sent from Costa Rica for Point lisas to produce ?

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » April 10th, 2016, 7:29 pm

In almost all multinational companies production orders are issued from outside trini..usually wherever their parent company based...local management just ensure reliability and efficiency are at the highest levels....the maker ting department job was just to direct which shipments go where...
Yes management did not take cuts..but i dont know a single multinational company that doesn't have highly paid management

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 10th, 2016, 11:15 pm

The guys at Costa Rica helped mittal lose his North American markets. Kudos to them. The Brazilian management came to Trinidad and made sure the demise was priority.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 11th, 2016, 11:14 pm

joker wrote:Nothing about pay cuts or compromise was mentioned in the meetings also in mittal if u do something other than what u were trained for more than likely would be fatal or that person would be seriously injured .

Not saying AM could not have acted more in good faith, but the unions/workers would never allow the kinds of things that would enable a struggling company to survive. I'm sure that no one asks anyone to do anything unsafe or for which they are not trained, but the "job spec" mind set is counter-productive and not best practice.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » April 11th, 2016, 11:26 pm

How big was this plant, compared to their overseas operations? Could it be that the T&T was small, and not worth having? it bad to see people lose jobs, but perspective is key here, eh? most global firms does retract the smaller plant, and keep the bigger ones.

And people saying "dey did buy ting in Iran!" yes, they did, but this was an iron ore mine. where do people tink steel does come from? Even if the steel market is depressed, no reason why not to secure a major raw material deposit for current and future operations.

This imho is unfortunate, but then it's called globalisation, get over it.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » April 11th, 2016, 11:30 pm

even big countries like the USA have this..... http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt ... 1ce0f.html

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 11th, 2016, 11:30 pm

desifemlove wrote:How big was this plant, compared to their overseas operations? Could it be that the T&T was small, and not worth having? it bad to see people lose jobs, but perspective is key here, eh? most global firms does retract the smaller plant, and keep the bigger ones.

And people saying "dey did buy ting in Iran!" yes, they did, but this was an iron ore mine. where do people tink steel does come from? Even if the steel market is depressed, no reason why not to secure a major raw material deposit for current and future operations.

This imho is unfortunate, but then it's called globalisation, get over it.

It is a pretty sizable integrated steel mill complete with port and 3 DRI modules, so shutting it down was definitely not a knee jerk reaction.

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 13th, 2016, 7:39 am

Dragon , do you know the union never lost a case against mittal for over 7 yrs? Also u have no clue of what is/was going on .

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 13th, 2016, 7:45 am

Mittal exported over 1m tons of DRI every year up to 2015 with prices of US $600-675 billets 400000 tons around same price ...wire rods 300000 tons US$500-600 every year...cost of production US650m.....

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 13th, 2016, 8:35 am

joker wrote:Did your inside source tell u that the marketing department had no power and that orders were sent from Costa Rica for Point lisas to produce ?

Nah. We eh talk da long in TGI and to be honest I was just small talking so didn't have detailed specific questions like this one. Better thing though would be for you to post up details of what you know. The one liners don't paint a clear enough picture of what went on in Mittal.

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 13th, 2016, 8:40 am

If I have to go deeper than what I have already posted then I can't help u understand.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » April 13th, 2016, 8:45 am

joker wrote:Dragon , do you know the union never lost a case against mittal for over 7 yrs? Also u have no clue of what is/was going on .

Given that Trinidad has a pro employee Industrial Court this isn't surprising.

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 13th, 2016, 8:47 am

Even with judges appointed from The ECA?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 13th, 2016, 9:34 am

joker wrote:If I have to go deeper than what I have already posted then I can't help u understand.

Wasn't for my understanding.

kjaglal76v2
12 pounds of Boost

Postby kjaglal76v2 » April 13th, 2016, 10:23 am

cheer up joker, you go find a wuk somewey man

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 13th, 2016, 6:13 pm

Dais not the problem ...I just lost over 750k with the closure

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 14th, 2016, 12:05 am

joker wrote:Dragon , do you know the union never lost a case against mittal for over 7 yrs? Also u have no clue of what is/was going on .

What I know is that Mittal packed their sheit up and left. :lol:
joker wrote:Mittal exported over 1m tons of DRI every year up to 2015 with prices of US $600-675 billets 400000 tons around same price ...wire rods 300000 tons US$500-600 every year...cost of production US650m.....

And the price is now $180-190 USD, so what adjustments have they made? Even selling value added products like wire rod and billets and they couldn't be profitable?

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 14th, 2016, 5:00 am

K , leave work now

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 14th, 2016, 5:01 am

U go reach home early

joker
Shifting into 6th

Postby joker » April 14th, 2016, 11:55 am

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 14th, 2016, 10:48 pm

There were 40 people if so much, and the popo was out in full force. Protest all you want, but don't disrupt gainfully employed people from going to work.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 15th, 2016, 12:50 am

I share that same sentiment at any roadblock

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”