TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

T&TEC, WASA increase coming in 2016... now 2023?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: T&TEC, WASA increase coming in 2016... now 2021?

Postby Dizzy28 » December 31st, 2020, 10:54 am

That main has been burst at least since yesterday morning.
Would have been too much to ask that they start repairs since yesterday afternoon into the night??

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 31st, 2020, 7:16 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:That main has been burst at least since yesterday morning.
Would have been too much to ask that they start repairs since yesterday afternoon into the night??

You sponsoring the overtime?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 31st, 2020, 9:46 pm

The opportunity cost associated with that traffic today far exceeds any OT they would have paid
88sins wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:That main has been burst at least since yesterday morning.

You sponsoring the overtime?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 1st, 2021, 8:19 am

Dizzy28 wrote:The opportunity cost associated with that traffic today far exceeds any OT they would have paid

maybe, but that's not WASA's problem now is it?

WASA lost nothing by doing the work at that time, actually was more cost efficient to have them work during the day. No need for additional lighting, or additional police for security and to direct traffic, lower risk to workers, and of course, no overtime premiums
some people may have reached late where they were going and missed out on something as a result, or the traffic have cost them additional fuel, but none of that that has the effect of reducing the benefits to WASA by its workers making the repairs during daylight hours.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 23rd, 2021, 5:23 pm

"The Water and Sewerage Authority has become an unwieldly, unproductive, unresponsive organisation that has deteriorated and is no longer efficiently serving the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. In numerous instances and over many decades, efficiency was sacrificed for, inter alia, political patronage, and management accountability exchanged for industrial stability, resulting in an organisation in which there is little correlation between the contents of Collective Agreements and the realities of providing a reliable service to the national population at an affordable and acceptable cost to the taxpayers of Trinidad and Tobago."

Minister of Public Utilities, Marvin Gonzales' News Conference on WASA - Tuesday February 23rd 2021

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 23rd, 2021, 5:24 pm

Acting WASA CEO replaced following report findings

Government, said with immediate effect, Acting CEO of the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA), Allan Poon-King has been replaced by Dr Lennox Sealy who will assume the position of WASA CEO and Executive Director, following the findings of a recent report.

Speaking today at a media briefing, Gonzales said the decision was made following a special Cabinet meeting yesterday.

‘The time has come for us to seriously and critically look into the operations of the Authority and ensure that it delivers on its mandate which is to deliver the people of Trinidad and Tobago with an efficient water supply.’

‘With immediate effect, the chairman of the Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA), Dr Lennox Sealy, will be appointed an executive director and...will assume full control of WASA as an executive director as well as CEO, replacing the current acting CEO, Allan Poon-King.’

He said a report on the state of WASA was submitted to Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley as well as the Cabinet on January 11.

He said a position has also been made for a Deputy Executive Director to assist the CEO.

He said government has put together a Cabinet sub-committee to oversee the ‘transformation’ of WASA comprising himself, Planning Minister Dr Camille Robinson-Regis, Housing Minister Penelope Beckles, Minister in the Ministry of Finance Brian Manning, Sport Minister Shamfa Cudjoe, Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister for Communication, Symon De Nobriga, Energy Minister Franklin Khan and Minister of Social Development and Family Services Donna Cox.

He said government has also taken a decision that the report will be laid in Parliament next week Friday following a statement, and that ‘the public will have full access to the findings of the report’.

Gonzales quoted a part of the executive summary of the report:

‘The Water and Sewerage Authority has become an unwieldy, unproductive, unresponsive organisation that has deteriorated and is no longer efficiently serving the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago.

'Efficiency was sacrificed for political patronage and management accountability exchanged for industrial stability, resulting in an organisation in which there is little correlation between the contents of collective agreements and the realities of providing a national service to the population at an affordable and acceptable cost to taxpayers.'

He added: 'The reason why government has taken the decision to appoint an Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director is because the Cabinet is of the firm belief that issues surrounding the water sector and WASA is a management problem and therefore we need to reorganise the management of WASA...that’s the only way in which the people of this country can benefit from an efficient water supply.’

He said there has not been any decision on staff cuts yet, but said based on data received, they have been told that WASA is overstaffed.

'This is something that the new management would have to conduct...a comprehensive audit...but I can tell you that based on the information received, most of the reports conducted, even by independent organisations, suggest that WASA is overstaffed.'

Gonzales said Poon-King would remain as Director of Customer Services and they are seeking to fill the post of Deputy Executive Director, which is vacant at this time. He added that Dr Sealy's contract would be 'performance-based'.

He also thanked Poon-King for his service as Acting CEO.

He said the details of the report will be shared in Parliament next week Friday (March 5).

More as this is updated.

Source: https://www.looptt.com/content/wasa-ceo ... t-findings

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » February 23rd, 2021, 7:02 pm

the hatchet man arrives (?)

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 24th, 2021, 8:07 pm

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 24th, 2021, 8:14 pm

How often did bmobile flow and digicel raise their rates, we still pay when was the last increase in ttec rates ....we pay next to nothing for electricity when compared to the rest of the Caribbean
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Soon come
https://tt.loopnews.com/content/ric-tte ... QyXWZ6nYJg

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 25th, 2021, 5:24 am

hover11 wrote:How often did bmobile flow and digicel raise their rates, we still pay when was the last increase in ttec rates ....we pay next to nothing for electricity when compared to the rest of the Caribbean

I like how people like to compare us to the worst of other countries. Why not compare us to the best of other countries??? Why dont they say other countries have guaranteed water supply 24/7 or minimum wages are significantly higher than ours. YOU WILL NEVER HEAR ABOUT THOSE THINGS

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 25th, 2021, 6:28 am

Notice I compared other companies which we use locally your internet and phone bill raised about 5 times within 5 years did you complain yes but you still paid, how often did your water bill and electricity bill increase ? Trinis find the money for everything else except their bills
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
hover11 wrote:How often did bmobile flow and digicel raise their rates, we still pay when was the last increase in ttec rates ....we pay next to nothing for electricity when compared to the rest of the Caribbean

I like how people like to compare us to the worst of other countries. Why not compare us to the best of other countries??? Why dont they say other countries have guaranteed water supply 24/7 or minimum wages are significantly higher than ours. YOU WILL NEVER HEAR ABOUT THOSE THINGS

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 25th, 2021, 7:45 am

How often do you get a reliable water supply or when electricity goes and it comes back and damage your appliances....what does ttec tell you??? Suck salt...

No1 has a problem paying for a reliable service. I rather pay for what I using as opposed to charging me for something I dont get regularly(water). Thank god for tanks and pump.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 25th, 2021, 8:32 am

I guess the government should sell TTEC as they are already 1 billion dollars in debt, let a private company take over and we would have no problem with whatever rates they set, ppl have no problem paying any rates these private companies set for their services but essential services is a problem when raised also did you know in America first world country you get back nothing because they reimburse you based on the "depreciated"value of your items
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:How often do you get a reliable water supply or when electricity goes and it comes back and damage your appliances....what does ttec tell you??? Suck salt...

No1 has a problem paying for a reliable service. I rather pay for what I using as opposed to charging me for something I dont get regularly(water). Thank god for tanks and pump.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » June 25th, 2021, 9:13 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:I like how people like to compare us to the worst of other countries. Why not compare us to the best of other countries??? Why dont they say other countries have guaranteed water supply 24/7 or minimum wages are significantly higher than ours. YOU WILL NEVER HEAR ABOUT THOSE THINGS

Because you dont want to pay best country rates but expect to receive best country service.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/wasa-re ... fa0bd836de

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 25th, 2021, 9:43 am

Last rate increase was 2012 a decade ago but CABLE, INTERNET, PHONE bill could raise 100 times and everybody still paying, electricity and water finally want to look for an increase we frothing by the mouth
Habit7 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:I like how people like to compare us to the worst of other countries. Why not compare us to the best of other countries??? Why dont they say other countries have guaranteed water supply 24/7 or minimum wages are significantly higher than ours. YOU WILL NEVER HEAR ABOUT THOSE THINGS

Because you dont want to pay best country rates but expect to receive best country service.

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » June 25th, 2021, 9:50 am

Isn't Shell and BP working on a solar electric plant here?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 25th, 2021, 9:58 am

Habit7 wrote:

We could pay any "best" rate and the service would still be sheit. I know allyuh make comments based on a personal and political level and not on a national level...which makes you all blinded.

Have you all even considered what the after effect of an instant subsidy removal(not gradual) be like? We are looking at

Increase in food prices, building materials, rent and the possibility of home ownership for younger people becoming more and more difficult. Then again allyuh does only see things personally.

A man mention frothing by the mouth.....LMAO...just know....present govt supporters would be affected the most....

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 25th, 2021, 10:02 am

Sooner or later bro subsidies must be removed we are out of touch with reality and we not seeing economic effects when last has trinidad and tobago had a SURPLUS or balanced budget , how long can we continue to have deficit budgets, don't worry about younger ppl, like I said before ppl find the money for EVERYTHING else except bills so they will find the money, so you want the government to pay part of your water bill, light bill, gas bill the government there to mind you? This isn't a welfare state, big man you are an adult use your salary and spend wisely now
Habit7 wrote:

We could pay any "best" rate and the service would still be sheit. I know allyuh make comments based on a personal and political level and not on a national level...which makes you all blinded.

Have you all even considered what the after effect of an instant subsidy removal(not gradual) be like? We are looking at

Increase in food prices, building materials, rent and the possibility of home ownership for younger people becoming more and more difficult. Then again allyuh does only see things personally.

A man mention frothing by the mouth.....LMAO...just know....present govt supporters would be affected the most....
Last edited by hover11 on June 25th, 2021, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » June 25th, 2021, 10:22 am

You made an unsubstantiated and biased statement and then said my statement backed by facts is personal and political?

The price for these utilities have been increasing all over the world but our govt subsidises the cost. We cannot continue to subsidise the cost with unmetered, residential water at one of the lowest rates in the region. If this was the private sector it would go bust. The richest ppl in TT are the ones who use the most utilities and benefit the most from these subsidies, not the poor ppl.

Whether it is PNM or UNC, our utility rates will have to increase. It drives ppl not to waste and to be innovative and competitive with the world. Globally, food prices and building materials are increasing but you are too myopic to see that as anything but a PNM problem.

And then you compound it with the typical UNC superior bias "present govt supporters would be affected the most." Well if the UNC supporters so rich and unaffected, then why do they lament so much and demand more freeness?

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 25th, 2021, 10:38 am

I don't understand how people expect these state enterprises to make a profit when we paying 2012 rates and they have salaries and overheads to pay....I really confused so a good government would keep utilities low forever and let WASA and ttec be debt ridden...he claims we politically motivated however both parties have these entities in this situation where they are today
Habit7 wrote:

You made an unsubstantiated and biased statement and then said my statement backed by facts is personal and political?

The price for these utilities have been increasing all over the world but our govt subsidises the cost. We cannot continue to subsidise the cost with unmetered, residential water at one of the lowest rates in the region. If this was the private sector it would go bust. The richest ppl in TT are the ones who use the most utilities and benefit the most from these subsidies, not the poor ppl.

Whether it is PNM or UNC, our utility rates will have to increase. It drives ppl not to waste and to be innovative and competitive with the world. Globally, food prices and building materials are increasing but you are too myopic to see that as anything but a PNM problem.

And then you compound it with the typical UNC superior bias "present govt supporters would be affected the most." Well if the UNC supporters so rich and unaffected, then why do they lament so much and demand more freeness?

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » June 25th, 2021, 10:49 am

I blame both govts for not incrementally increasing the rates. Because now there will have to be a huge jump. In 2016 when this was brought up, the cry was now was not the right time. Well due to covid-19, now is a worse time but the need to do it is even more.

https://www.meppublishers.com/the-chall ... z6yoOWuEXW

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 25th, 2021, 10:50 am

hover11 wrote:Sooner or later bro subsidies must be removed we are out of touch with reality and we not seeing economic effects when last has trinidad and tobago had a SURPLUS or balanced budget , how long can we continue to have deficit budgets, don't worry about younger ppl, like I said before ppl find the money for EVERYTHING else except bills so they will find the money, so you want the government to pay part of your water bill, light bill, gas bill the government there to mind you? This isn't a welfare state, big man you are an adult use your salary and spend wisely now
Habit7 wrote:

Gradual removal of subsidies is understood. However, given our present climate where people are jobless etc...is now a good time to do that? In addition to this, we expecting an increase in gas prices which also adds to an increased cost of living..

Habit: when people start complaining, pay attention to who complaining and you will get your answer. You speak of food prices and building materials increasing globally......what about our minimum wage in comparison to others??? Allyuh like to compare....Seeing that allyuh like to compare "1st" world data or think we are anywhere close to 1st world

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » June 25th, 2021, 11:12 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Habit: when people start complaining, pay attention to who complaining and you will get your answer. You speak of food prices and building materials increasing globally......what about our minimum wage in comparison to others??? Allyuh like to compare....Seeing that allyuh like to compare "1st" world data or think we are anywhere close to 1st world

Well, I don't know what racial or political slant you want to imply but I see all ppl complaining, not just supporters of either one party.

And you still not understanding, you want our minimum wage to be comparable to that of the US, Canada and Europe, but you are paying 40-60% less of their taxes and utilities. You can't have it both ways.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 25th, 2021, 11:13 am

Pelting the "political answer' is lazy and weak.

TTEC owing NGC billions for years.

It was 350M in 2000,2B in 2010.

So the reality of the underfunded stupidity that TTEC has had to operate under survived under every party

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 25th, 2021, 11:18 am

Ppl comparing us to US I wonder if they know for every dollar made in the states the government makes 40c the government doesn't tax minimum wage earners here.....NIS is not Tax as it is for the benefit of the citizen. We have a low standard of living that is masked by the make shift programs such as CEPEP and URP but the unemployment rate is actually higher than reported. Our real US to TT conversion rate is hidden behind a floating rate however it is losing value EVERYDAY whether you believe it or not
Habit7 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Habit: when people start complaining, pay attention to who complaining and you will get your answer. You speak of food prices and building materials increasing globally......what about our minimum wage in comparison to others??? Allyuh like to compare....Seeing that allyuh like to compare "1st" world data or think we are anywhere close to 1st world

Well, I don't know what racial or political slant you want to imply but I see all ppl complaining, not just supporters of either one party.

And you still not understanding, you want our minimum wage to be comparable to that of the US, Canada and Europe, but you are paying 40-60% less of their taxes and utilities. You can't have it both ways.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » October 6th, 2021, 9:56 pm

New utility rates are one step closer to realisation. Confirmation from Public Utilities Minister, Marvin Gonzales, who says he expects the operational plans for both T&TEC and WASA to be approved by Cabinet before the end of the year. While the regulated industries commission is yet to kick start the review process, the minister is assuring citizens that the most vulnerable will be protected once the new rates take effect. But one economist believes it’s not a good idea.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 6th, 2021, 9:58 pm

The_Honourable wrote:New utility rates are one step closer to realisation. Confirmation from Public Utilities Minister, Marvin Gonzales, who says he expects the operational plans for both T&TEC and WASA to be approved by Cabinet before the end of the year. While the regulated industries commission is yet to kick start the review process, the minister is assuring citizens that the most vulnerable will be protected once the new rates take effect. But one economist believes it’s not a good idea.

So it begins

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 7th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Imagine paying more for water when you dont even get a 24/7 supply

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 7th, 2021, 4:51 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Imagine paying more for water when you dont even get a 24/7 supply
That will not stop ppl from voting red government

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » March 9th, 2022, 4:12 pm

Minister: WASA to justify need for rate increase to RIC in two weeks

T&T to get modulater WTPs to improve supply

The Water and Sewerage Authority (WASA) is preparing to improve its water supply across Trinidad and Tobago
as it gears up to justify the reasons it requires a rate increase to the Regulated Industries Commission (RIC) in
the next two weeks.

This was disclosed by Public Utilities Minister Marvin Gonzales who was the lone guest during Conversations with the
Prime Minister on Tuesday night.

Gonzales spent around 30 minutes addressing concerns about the state utility's operations. He blamed most of the
country's water woes on "institutional corruption" at WASA and poor infrastructure.

However, he said there are plans afoot to address these challenges. Gonzales announced that the Ministry will soon sign
a Memorandum of Understanding with the Canadian High Commission, after seven months of talks, to ensure that T&T
gets its First Modular Water Treatment Plant. This is expected to be imported in four months and should be operational
by October.

"We are about to sign a Memorandum of Understanding, Prime Minister. We'll come to Cabinet next week and the
Canadians, using modern technology, can get us a Modular Water Treatment Plant that has the capacity to produce five
million gallons of water."

He said the plant is earmarked for a reservoir that has been identified in Central Trinidad with the capacity to produce
five million gallons of water for residents on a daily basis. The reservoir is holding over 650 million gallons of water.

Besides, Gonzales noted that 10 Modular Water Treatment Plants will eventually be set up in strategic areas across the
country.

Speaking on WASA's Financial situation, he said the company has not had a rate increase in 28 years.

“You cannot run a utility company where to extract and to treat water is costing you over two billion dollars to get into
people's homes and your rate is about $700 million dollars that cannot even pay the salary of workers."

Painting a vivid picture of the situation, he said between 2010 and now, the government has injected over $23 million
into WASA, most of which has been spent on salaries and desalinated water.

He, however, said the company has now created a business model that will be based on improving its water supply.

"Whilst we improve water supply, the people will tell you that they are prepared to pay for what they are getting," he
said.

The Minister said WASA's managers will be held accountable as he believes the authority has been working blindly.
Among other things, he said to address the current issues, preventative maintenance is high on the agenda. Each area,
Gonzales said, will have a unique plan to treat with their particular concerns.

He also disclosed that WASA has repaired 6,000 leaks though he admits that 3,000 are backlogged.

Meanwhile, the Minister said that in one month, WASA's call center operation will be revamped.

As for road restoration, he said in two weeks WASA will ensure that every region has experienced road paving
contractors.

"As we repair all the leaks across the system, we will respond immediately to restore roads in a professional level."

Gonzales said WASA intends to digitize the operation of every valve in T&T. He added that 80 data loggers have been
acquired with a combined total of 360 expected in three months to monitor pressure and the water supply schedule
overall.

Source: https://tt.loopnews.com/content/ministe ... -two-weeks

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”