Forums

IADB to fund building Toco to Valencia Highway

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: IADB to fund building Toco to Valencia Highway

Postby sMASH » May 18th, 2016, 8:36 pm

I ain't no engineer, but what I have seen from history, u don't build a port on the windward side of an island.

But regardless, cost to benefit analysis anyone?

Oarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,
They get blank de racket rail and need to find some other means to get cash flowing. It doesn't needs to make sense, just as long as cash flows.

I can see it now, artificial reef and cove created to calm the Atlantic waves. then port on a sheer rock face, with extensive pile driving to secure the structure.

yes it will save time, but money and safety... shamfa have a doubles fund to keep up.

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » May 18th, 2016, 8:53 pm

dey gonna cut through the mountains?

some pretty nice waterfalls and pools by dey, hope they won't get touched.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 18th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:It may very well be the same Kublasingh!!

Still trying to understand how he claimed 300 days of no food and no water fast.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » May 18th, 2016, 10:16 pm

So what about all the talk from Imbert about diversifying the economy? all that suddenly went down the latrine? why don't he use this current economic downtime to create an industry that can actually earn us foreign exchange? how is that useless highway helping us?

he gone back to his same old ways. This here is proof that none of them will ever be serious in eat ah food Trinidad, prepare allyuh ass for the day oil and gas run out we going the same way as Venezuela and Haiti watch and see.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » May 19th, 2016, 6:42 am

pugboy wrote:Toco area landscape ain't exactly most development friendly eh
Almost as bad as Tobago. . .

It is not that bad to develop the Toco area and the proposed highway will encourage development by creating easier access.

sMASH wrote:But regardless, cost to benefit analysis anyone? . . .

As long as IADB is funding the project, nothing is getting built with their money unless a favourable cost benefit ratio is obtained.

trump2016 wrote:. . . Oh wait, by that time, the contractors will have lined their pockets with overcharging and the politicians with kickbacks, and we the citizens are sitting around with our thumbs up our asses.

Such a brazen and blatant scam, and some actually defend it. wtf.

You can't steal IADB's money so easily. There are clear reporting standards to account for how the money disbursed is used. IADB representatives also closely monitor through site visits how the money is being spent.

Why do you think the UNC funded the Point Fortin Highway through the treasury and not through an international lending agency (such as the CDB or IADB) which would have put the country under less economic stress and greater management of funds? Doing it that way resulted in very little to no accountability with respect to how monies disbursed were spent and in whose bank accounts the money ended up. We now basically have a useless highway (when you actually check to see the benefits from what has been built) and from what I understand, OAS may actually get away with little to no penalty because of the (knowingly) poor oversight undertaken by the relevant State authorities.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 19th, 2016, 7:42 am

Funny thing bout banks I've experienced, they always try to get me to take a loan. Didn't matter if what I was going to do with the money was going to be able to repay their loan+ interest, as long as they get back their loan+ interest.

Toco nice lil tourist destination, could bring in money. Compared to the cost of development, might be a bit mismatched. Add in the cost to construct a port to ferry to tobago, and then balance with the difference between that and PoS. What would be the difference in the cost of a ticket from PoS and toco? Then when u factor in the drive and fuel to actually reach that port.
Creating more nature reserves and tourist spots on that part of the island, and having a quicker link to tobago is not a totally bad idea, is just the cost to do it will be kinda ridiculous and the benefit would be years down the road.

I would put that later down the pipeline.

They should put the ptown highway ahead of the toco highway. Ptown highway would have all the same reasons as the pt fortain highway, basically opening up more of the southern eastwest corridor.
I would see quick savings by the local businesses making it easier to keep or take on more people, letting more oil/gas businesses remain afloat and employing entities.
The south would stop being choked and would generate more revenue in taxes, while keeping unemployment down.

Building the toco highway and the port will cost a load of money and then u still have to develop the place to generate new income. The immediate benefit would only be a savings in a boat ticket to and from tobago, and then depending on where u live on the island, still have to make up the rest of the journey via roads.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » May 19th, 2016, 7:44 am

I saw a plan a few years ago for the port ....the feasibility is based on

Tobago to Trini communication and traffic.

Creating econ activity in the area-as per Point Hway.

and additional shipping given the fact that a port on the eastern coast cuts the TIME ships take to arrive in POS or PTL.

So there is a school of thought that it would be financially feasible...
and like Rory mentioned....if the IADB is willing to fund it then it passed serious scrutiny.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 19th, 2016, 9:38 am

Redman wrote:I saw a plan a few years ago for the port ....the feasibility is based on

and additional shipping given the fact that a port on the eastern coast cuts the TIME ships take to arrive in POS or PTL.
Given that the majority of containerized shipping into Trinidad is transshipment and they come through the Panama Canal then do the Caribbean circuit before coming to Trinidad last I don't understand how a port on the opposite side of the island would be advantageous especially when the strategic plan for the two existing ports have them trying to cannibalize each other's business. The La Brea port is back on the agenda for the new Economic Advisory Development Board as well so there is a situation of oversaturation within the port and harbour market in the country.

and like Rory mentioned....if the IADB is willing to fund it then it passed serious scrutiny.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 19th, 2016, 9:45 am

I'm in support of the highway, not the port, it's good to open up the eastern part of the island, it provides opportunity for economic development

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 19th, 2016, 9:49 am

eliteauto wrote:I'm in support of the highway, not the port, it's good to open up the eastern part of the island, it provides opportunity for economic development

My main concern is that having visited Toco for Easter and seeing what a chaos the place was in.....do we really want the Rajs to have even easier access to that side of the country??

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 19th, 2016, 9:50 am

How yuh against yuh own people so bai

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 19th, 2016, 9:52 am

K74T wrote:How yuh against yuh own people so bai

Was just ridiculous.....one set of Hilux park on the beach, music like that and litter for so!!!!!

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » May 19th, 2016, 10:03 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
eliteauto wrote:I'm in support of the highway, not the port, it's good to open up the eastern part of the island, it provides opportunity for economic development

My main concern is that having visited Toco for Easter and seeing what a chaos the place was in.....do we really want the Rajs to have even easier access to that side of the country??

Yeah went to Toco beach once and it was a cacophony of who can play louder music than the other.

But sea transport to Tobago is heavily subsidised and leaving from POS gives it an unnecessarily long journey to Scarborough. Road transport to Toco would be cheaper than sea transport to a similar point to Toco and sea transport from Toco to Scarborough could actually occur at a less subsidised price or even cost price. It would also reduce the traffic to POS esp. with the port so close to major traffic artery.

My only complaint is building the road from Valencia. Continue the CRH from Wallerfield, pass north of Grande, build your ring road around Grande, and start the road to Toco from Grande. Starting from Valencia equals two parallel first class roads when you can just have one.

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » May 19th, 2016, 10:13 am

Redman wrote:I saw a plan a few years ago for the port ....the feasibility is based on

Not really Redz.

Lehmih know if u want a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Econo ... 0452287081

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 19th, 2016, 10:37 am

going to buy that book and take a read

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » May 19th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Banks are in the business of making money, not fulfilling dreams.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » May 19th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Miktay wrote:

Not really Redz.

Lehmih know if u want a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Econo ... 0452287081

Yes Ok I concede-it can still be ballzed up ...probably will be
and No thanks on the book, I was given one but never completed it-

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » May 19th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Yes Ok I concede-it can still be ballzed up ...probably will be
and No thanks on the book, I was given one but never completed it-

Well put it thiz way...guns...drugs...war...human trafficking...& even boondoogle gubbament projects all lead 2 the same place.

Our friendly neighborhood bankers never rest.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » May 19th, 2016, 8:10 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:So what about all the talk from Imbert about diversifying the economy? all that suddenly went down the latrine? why don't he use this current economic downtime to create an industry that can actually earn us foreign exchange? how is that useless highway helping us?

he gone back to his same old ways. This here is proof that none of them will ever be serious in eat ah food Trinidad, prepare allyuh ass for the day oil and gas run out we going the same way as Venezuela and Haiti watch and see.

better infrastructure helps the economy. it's a step, if not perfect.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » May 20th, 2016, 9:19 am

Dizzy28 wrote:

if only to piss racists like you off, i'll help lay down tarmac or bulldoze some rocks mehself.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » May 20th, 2016, 9:52 am

desifemlove wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

if only to piss racists like you off, i'll help lay down tarmac or bulldoze some rocks mehself.

:shock: :shock:

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 26th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Government explores funding options for construction of the Valencia to Toco Highway.

The update comes from Works and Transport Minister, Fitzgerald Hinds.

Speaking with the media this week, Minister Hinds added that money for the mega project must be carefully reviewed and sourced in order to avoid any backlash.

Source: http://news.power102fm.com/government-e ... hway-37613

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 26th, 2017, 11:07 pm

PM says consultations on Valencia to Toco highway to begin soon

Consultations surrounding the Valencia to Toco highway are expected to being within the next two weeks.

While addressing party supports last night, the PM revealed that the consultant has already commenced work on the initial phases of the project.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 26th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Highway to Toco becoming reality

Chairman of National Infrastructure Development Company (Nidco) Herbert George has estimated the new highway from Sangre Grande to Toco is expected to cost taxpayers between $2 and $5 billion.

The highway, he said, is expected to significantly reduce the driving time of motorists in getting to the proposed Toco ferry port.

This was the figure George gave recently, as he gave details about the billion-dollar project, nine months after Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley promised citizens of the north-eastern region a new Toco ferry port that would link them to Tobago and create economic activity.

Last November, Rowley said the Government was moving apace to develop the highways from Valencia to Toco and Cumuto to Manzanilla, as well as construct a ferry port in Toco, which would generate economic growth, jobs and opportunities for people who live in nearby communities.

George said while the extension of the Solomon Hochoy Highway to Point Fortin was a multi billion-dollar project, so too would be the highway leading to the port.

Asked what would be the estimated cost of this project, George said the figure was in the tune of billions.

“Not less than $2 billion and not more than $5 billion. That is what you are looking at.”

George regarded the project as the second largest for Nidco and the country.

“We have a local consultant firm Arun Buch and Associates Ltd doing the conceptual design. At the end of the day he would have to look at the location, prepare a design for the facility there, bearing in mind the employer’s brief. Butch’s work is expected to take three months to complete,” George said.

He said after consultants presents their design, Nidco would be provided with a cost and tenders would then go out.

“Tendering might be another two to three months.”

He said while the Prime Minister has a keen interest in getting the ferry port off the ground, George estimated that by April 2018 the project would begin with work completing in 18 month’s time.

“Yes, we are working with urgency. When the idea of the fast ferry port was spoken about, some work was done under the last PNM administration about eight or nine years ago. And of course that was just shelved,” George said.

Now that it has being brought back to the table, George said Nidco has undertaken some preliminary designs for a new highway to be built to Toco.

“We did some preliminary designs for the road which was costing taxpayers an arm and a leg. So we have to go back and see how we can tweak it and make it more affordable.”

George refused to say what was the figure Nidco was presented with.

He said Nidco was now considering using part of the existing Toco Main Road, while build a new strip of highway, which, when completed, would be 47 kilometres in length.

“The travel time would be 48 minutes (from Arima),” George said.

George said Nidco had also looked at another option of constructing a new highway from Sangre Grande to Toco totalling 42.6 kilometres, with driving time estimated at 35.3 minutes.

Currently motorists take approximately 90 minutes to get to Toco from Arima.

Would communities along the route be relocated when work gets underway?

“We intend to minimise that. That has it’s own difficulties. We have a route selected that does not require relocating people.”

He said that once Nidco is issued with a terms of reference from the Environmental Management Authority they would hold consultation at a later stage.

“So far, we have held meetings with two groups of people from the Toco end. They wanted to know how the new road will likely affect the existing properties.”

He said the residents were particularly concerned about one environmentally sensitive area, but its designers went around this location in planning the new route.

In giving an insight of the proposed route, George said work on the highway would start north of Ojoe Road in Sangre Grande.

“So there would be a link from there to new Valencia to Toco Road. From there is all the way up to Toco. That point is also tied back to the Churchill Roosevelt Highway.”

He said Nidco would also create access from the Valencia By Pass roundabout to the Ojoe Road.

“That part would not be of a highway quality. It would just be an upgraded section. So the real highway will be from Cumuto to Manzanilla to Ojoe Road. And from there you go up from Valencia to Toco.”

George said the creation of the port would link Trinidad to Tobago.

“If one has a port there. And one has better access to get to that port. First of all it would help ease with the traffic between Port-of-Spain and Toco. You can get on a ferry in Toco so it can cut down the travel time by so much. Once passengers arrive in Toco it would take them about 40 minutes to go from Toco to Tobago in a ferry.”

George said once the sea bridge problems are sorted out it would give the travelling public other options.

“What we would also be doing is opening that east/west corridor. Right now we talk as if the east/west ends in Sangre Grande. The access from there is just horrible. It takes people almost an hour in some cases even more than that to go from Valencia to Toco because the road is so narrow and circuitous,” George said.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2017-08- ... ng-reality

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 27th, 2017, 12:15 am

Attachments
Highway.png

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » September 27th, 2017, 12:27 am

^^^
Toco dead to me now ..

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » May 3rd, 2018, 10:10 am

A CLASS ROAD TO TOCO BEFORE 2020 OR NOT?

As the Government prepares for its mid-year review of the Budget next month, we decided to revisit one of its main campaign promises in 2015 as this PNM administration approaches the middle of its term in office - the A class road from Valencia to Toco. What is the state of this project now? Will it be a brand new highway? Will there be a new A class road from Valencia to Toco before the next General Election is due in 2020? Juhel Browne sought the answers in this TV6 News exclusive.

Video: https://www.tv6tnt.com/news/7pmnews/a-c ... faf07.html

ElSoc
Ricer

Postby ElSoc » October 14th, 2018, 10:42 am

Does anybody have any links to the prelim designs of this highway?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » October 14th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Most of the roads in trinidad in a deplorable state and are not being maintained, but build a new one that we are doing fine without. Seems legit.

What they doing about all the traffic you have to face daily in order to even reach the east to access that highway?

ElSoc
Ricer

Postby ElSoc » October 14th, 2018, 6:48 pm

rspann wrote:Most of the roads in trinidad in a deplorable state and are not being maintained, but build a new one that we are doing fine without. Seems legit.

What they doing about all the traffic you have to face daily in order to even reach the east to access that highway?

The plan to construct interchanges at every intersection starting at Curepe. Whether that gets done is another story but will definitely help alleviate some level of traffic.

Sure the roads need adequate maintenance that is true.

As far as traffic is concerned it's more than just roads. Alternative modes of transport must be available, BRT/LRT esp along the East-West. Developing well established secondary routes apart from the highways would be another step. Decentralization from POS as well as better parking there. A route through the city like the northern valley link that was planned. I think it's moreso shifting focus from road to alternative reliable, affordable safe and eco conscious modes of transport.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”