TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Phillip Edward Alexander Bows out of active Politics again (2023) Now with added Bow In 2024

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Phillip Edward Alexander calling out the big shots

Postby pugboy » June 5th, 2022, 12:31 pm

yup, crime is social issues, deal with it yourself as heinz said

timelapse wrote:It is not TTPS responsibility for fixing crime Criminals must fix themselves.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 7th, 2022, 9:08 am

Smash like allyuh hadda hold BBQ to raise funds dey. Make sure de chicken is not no foreign Tyson crap and de rice doh spoil.

[UPDATED] PEP's Phillip Alexander loses appeal in Udecott defamation lawsuit

File photo: PEP political leader Phillip Edward Alexander.

THE PROGRESSIVE Empowerment Party’s Phillip Edward Alexander will have to fork out more money for his unsuccessful appeal of a judge’s refusal to step aside from hearing a defamation claim against him.

Alexander had appealed the March 3 ruling of Justice Avason Quinlan-Williams, dismissing his recusal application, and ordering him to pay $137,038.75 in costs to the Urban Development Corporation (Udecott) for the failed application.

He also sought to have Udecott’s defamation claim against him struck out, but the judge dismissed this too.

At a previous appeal, the court ordered that a preliminary issue, to determine whether Udecott was a public body capable of suing a citizen for defamation, should be sent back to the judge for determination. In that ruling, the Appeal Court also left the issue of the quantum of costs to be decided by Quinlan-Williams, who ordered Alexander to pay $137,038.75. She also dismissed his recusal application.

At the appeal, it was argued that the judge, by making the cost order, pre-determined the preliminary issue. She was also accused of apparent bias.

Udecott’s lead attorney, Deborah Peake, SC, argued that the appeal was misconceived and frivolous and caused the hearing of the preliminary issue to be pushed back, as it was set for hearing last month.

On Monday, the Appeal Court dismissed Alexander’s appeal, saying it could not draw the conclusion of apparent bias, nor had Quinlan-Williams pre-determined the preliminary issue when she gave a figure for the cost order.

In an oral decision, Justices Vasheist Kokaram and Malcolm Holdip said ill-founded recusal applications should be discouraged as they can scandalise the administration of justice.

Kokaram said judges, in deciding if to step aside, must embark on a self-checking exercise to ensure that justice is done.

“The task of a judge is not to win a popularity contest,” he said, as he spoke of the role of attorneys in advising their clients.

In Alexander’s case, Kokaram, who delivered the ruling, said the judge did not pre-determine the preliminary issue of Udecott’s status. He also pointed out there was no appeal against the judge’s cost order and that Alexander’s attorneys were given a full hearing on Udecott’s presentation of their bill for costs.

“The underlying complaint is not that the judge was biased, but the court should not have made a cost order against him.”

Kokaram said “ill-founded challenges to the bench” should not be entertained. He also said the issue of costs was an important feature in civil litigation but had nothing to do with liability since there are various stages of such processes which can incur cost orders.

Alexander was represented by attorneys Matthew Gayle and Jason Jones.

Udecott has alleged Alexander defamed the company in a video posted on the PEP’s social media accounts in January 2020, during which the cost of the refurbishment of President’s House was discussed.

Udecott said the allegations made in the video were egregious, wholly unjustified, and malicious and brought the company and its employees into public ridicule, scandal, odium, contempt, and disrepute.

Also representing Udecott is attorney Ravi Heffes-Doon.

In response to the court's ruling, Alexander said although the Appeal Court made the point that the appeals process was an avenue that kept the justice system working, it "overlooked the fact that the threat of excessive costs undermined that safeguard."

He pointed out that the substantive matter had not yet been determined.

He said, any decision, going forward, on his part, will not be based "on the pursuit of justice or the people’s right to know, but on if I could afford the risk, especially when one factors in the arms race of senior and junior counsel fees employed by the State."The heart of the matter remains: can a state company sue a citizen for defamation in the process of exposing potential wrongdoing?

"Allowing that is to turn the shield of the defamation statute into a sword and give the State the power to silence enquiry through the threats outlined above. The crux of this matter is hinged on that issue, and all others should be stopped and that made a matter of urgent national importance again, if what we want is justice."

https://newsday.co.tt/2022/06/06/peps-phillip-alexander-loses-appeal-in-udecott-defamation-lawsuit/

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 7th, 2022, 9:26 am

I sure he have enough supporters to chip in to help with his legal fees, expos, bake sales, BBQs and other fundraising activities.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 7th, 2022, 9:34 am

^^ I think the eventual ruling in the original case would be one of great interest to both legal minds and the public.

People can be derisive of PEA but IMO any ruling that state companies can sue for defamation would open a whole new can of worms especially here in this sheithole of a Republic where state companies are extensions of political parties.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 7th, 2022, 9:40 am

didn’t he lose a similar case against lok jack sometime ago?

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » June 7th, 2022, 9:54 am

The man will never get a fair trial in TT. The more he expose, the more they will want to squeeze him financially. Us supporters will certainly assist with costs.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » June 7th, 2022, 10:09 am

If he appeals to the Privy Council, and wins, it reinforces the idea why persons have more trust in the PC than our local courts.

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » June 7th, 2022, 10:12 am

The_Honourable wrote:If he appeals to the Privy Council, and wins, it reinforces the idea why persons have more trust in the PC than our local courts.

That's why they want to rid of PC entirely.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 7th, 2022, 10:28 am

Take note from the police service, license office and other places.Absolute power corrupts absolutely

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 7th, 2022, 10:33 am

AbstractPoetic wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:If he appeals to the Privy Council, and wins, it reinforces the idea why persons have more trust in the PC than our local courts.

Yup correct :D

"The heart of the matter remains: can a state company sue a citizen for defamation in the process of exposing potential wrongdoing?"

The PC will have to decide .

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » June 7th, 2022, 10:37 am

timelapse wrote:Take note from the police service, license office and other places.Absolute power corrupts absolutely

Ah love it! Correct is right.

AbstractPoetic
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby AbstractPoetic » June 7th, 2022, 10:38 am

RedVEVO wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:

Yup correct :D

"The heart of the matter remains: can a state company sue a citizen for defamation in the process of exposing potential wrongdoing?"

The PC will have to decide .

I hope that they hear his case. I truly do. We go see all type of roach scatter.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 8th, 2022, 6:32 pm

Dictatorship by lawsuit.

FB_IMG_1654727296243.jpg

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » June 8th, 2022, 6:50 pm

lol that letter says 8 July 2022

immediate release my ass

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 8th, 2022, 10:30 pm

How David so dotish so

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 9th, 2022, 1:50 am

K74T wrote:How David so dotish so

Seems to be required for PEP leadership positions

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 9th, 2022, 7:42 am

Ey, the man forward thinking.
Eyes on the future.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 9th, 2022, 8:29 am

What I would like to see is a PEP list of things to be done if they are in power.So far I only seeing them being a shadow opposition.What are their intentions? Here are my questions,take note PEP influencers, smash,AP and company...
Are they going to pursue constitutional reform?We have many laws that are relics of the past for example: Police powers, ridiculous laws in the summary offenses act among others,rights of citizens, anti-gang laws, animal rights laws ,etc.
Are they going to fix public transportation issues? Fuel prices are going up.While PNM jackarses bray about international prices of fuel, they fail to mention that foreign countries have a reliable public transportation system.I not talking about pie in the sky rapid rail and whatnot,a reliable bus system and better road network will suffice.The small rural buses were a good start.It has completely eliminated the ph drivers by me ,who have been motivated to find better employment.
Are they going to get stricter on environmental preservation, or fcuk it up more?
Lastly, what are their plans for food security? If they have ideas, say so.Dont make it a political waiting game.Bring your ideas to the table before it is too late.If PNM implements it, count it as a win, for the people of T&T and commend yourself.
PNM is party first
UNC is financers first

Be the party that is PEOPLE first.
If anyone that represents PEP can answer those questions, it will be most appreciated.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » June 9th, 2022, 9:11 am

timelapse wrote:What I would like to see is a PEP list of things to be done if they are in power.So far I only seeing them being a shadow opposition.What are their intentions? Here are my questions,take note PEP influencers, smash,AP and company...
Are they going to pursue constitutional reform?We have many laws that are relics of the past for example: Police powers, ridiculous laws in the summary offenses act among others,rights of citizens, anti-gang laws, animal rights laws ,etc.
Are they going to fix public transportation issues? Fuel prices are going up.While PNM jackarses bray about international prices of fuel, they fail to mention that foreign countries have a reliable public transportation system.I not talking about pie in the sky rapid rail and whatnot,a reliable bus system and better road network will suffice.The small rural buses were a good start.It has completely eliminated the ph drivers by me ,who have been motivated to find better employment.
Are they going to get stricter on environmental preservation, or fcuk it up more?
Lastly, what are their plans for food security? If they have ideas, say so.Dont make it a political waiting game.Bring your ideas to the table before it is too late.If PNM implements it, count it as a win, for the people of T&T and commend yourself.
PNM is party first
UNC is financers first

If anyone that represents PEP can answer those questions, it will be most appreciated.
X1000

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » June 9th, 2022, 9:43 am

timelapse wrote:What I would like to see is a PEP list of things to be done if they are in power.So far I only seeing them being a shadow opposition.What are their intentions? Here are my questions,take note PEP influencers, smash,AP and company...
PNM is party first
UNC is financers first

Agreed present viable solutions to basic problems. In the early days of PEP I see they were focused on givin ppl ting. Land for everybody, house for everybody etc …… that won’t help our issues

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 9th, 2022, 10:15 am

I not going to get caught by whichever party's brand of charisma and marketing.Most if not all politicians are business people with project management skills.5 years in political power is a project, with the population of the country being the sponsor.The government is the project manager.So organize proposals and everything else.I don't care if you Indo, Afro, Chinese,white, Syrian or other.I don't care if you can speak well in public or in a rumshop.
We the people have real issues and need to stop getting distracted by parlour tricks.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 9th, 2022, 10:22 am

Those concerns have been the subject of Phillips vids for years now... Long before covee.

They see the laws need updating badd badd, for the very same reasons.

They did not address changing police laws directly, but have said that police roles, responsibilities, powers all need to be changed to suit the modern Era. Many things police doz that social workers need to do instead of, and quite frankly police are not equipped to do.

They have had meetings with the taxi drivers association, AND independent transport association (yes, PH drivers has an association... Smh), to get messures to improve the safety of passengers since the Andrea bharat incident.
They have at that time said that the pH situation is not ideal, and the drivers need regularization either by becoming registered taxis, or revamp of the taxi system outright.

{I personally think and have suggested that taxis system transform to more of an Uber system for registration, so that passengers can verify the drivers.}

They say, when they are in power, the system will have to change, but with consultation with both groups, for the safety of the COMMUTING PUBLIC.

Food production, thst is their primary objective, to give farmers regulsrized plots to be able to secure funding to enhance their business.
Give potential farmers the opportunities to get into the business(which the govt has adopted, but pep suggested it first).
And to improve security from pilferage, where all farmers need to be registered.
This is not to have the farmers badge to secure discount, this is for the security of proof of ownership or valid possession of goods.

I disagree with the registering thing, I prefer all farmers be given FULs to protect their land, and be encouraged to live on the land they plant.

Water, they will decentralize water capture, treatment and distribution, so that u will not need to be paying desall so much money when we have so much fresh water we get flood out.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 9th, 2022, 12:40 pm

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?height=314&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPEATRINBAGO%2Fvideos%2F7679558795419571%2F&show_text=false&width=560&t=0" width="560" height="314" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

https://fb.watch/dxSVkwZ3zS/

standing up for the outstanding payments to former tstt workers from since back when

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » June 9th, 2022, 12:46 pm

ent he say he would step down as leader of PEP if he didnt win the last GE because he wanted to show how kamla should do the same when she loses?

is he still the leader? that's the impression i get

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 9th, 2022, 1:23 pm

he was voted back as the leader.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » June 9th, 2022, 2:04 pm

sMASH wrote:Those concerns have been the subject of Phillips vids for years now... Long before covee.

They did not address changing police laws directly, but have said that police roles, responsibilities, powers all need to be changed to suit the modern Era. Many things police doz that social workers need to do instead of, and quite frankly police are not equipped to do.

They have had meetings with the taxi drivers association, AND independent transport association (yes, PH drivers has an association... Smh), to get messures to improve the safety of passengers since the Andrea bharat incident.
They have at that time said that the pH situation is not ideal, and the drivers need regularization either by becoming registered taxis, or revamp of the taxi system outright.

{I personally think and have suggested that taxis system transform to more of an Uber system for registration, so that passengers can verify the drivers.}

They say, when they are in power, the system will have to change, but with consultation with both groups, for the safety of the COMMUTING PUBLIC.

Food production, thst is their primary objective, to give farmers regulsrized plots to be able to secure funding to enhance their business.
Give potential farmers the opportunities to get into the business(which the govt has adopted, but pep suggested it first).
And to improve security from pilferage, where all farmers need to be registered.
This is not to have the farmers badge to secure discount, this is for the security of proof of ownership or valid possession of goods.

I disagree with the registering thing, I prefer all farmers be given FULs to protect their land, and be encouraged to live on the land they plant.

Water, they will decentralize water capture, treatment and distribution, so that u will not need to be paying desall so much money when we have so much fresh water we get flood out.

His plan for decentralization of water treatment was a failure tho. Some of those things make no sense. Challenged him in it and as usual he backed off and deflected

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 9th, 2022, 2:47 pm

j.o.e wrote:
sMASH wrote:Those concerns have been the subject of Phillips vids for years now... Long before covee.

His plan for decentralization of water treatment was a failure tho. Some of those things make no sense. Challenged him in it and as usual he backed off and deflected

they want it 41 constituencies. imo, that not practical or necessary. but it could do with some measure of separate storage systems.
when they get the power, they coudl get the technical studies to get the numbers to come up with a better solution to what is now.

me, i say, we get too much water in rainy season to justify having shortages in dry season. just need to pump the water that cases flooding to storage, (i say the dams, and can expand some capacity) for treatment and usage during the dry times.

we can put those large industrial storage tanks all over the country, to help store potable water all over the country. so any single disruption to the system will not affect large swaths of the country.
we get
unless they

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 9th, 2022, 4:49 pm

j.o.e wrote:

As with most rumshop debaters

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 9th, 2022, 5:04 pm

he doing a great job as a social activist watch dog, that is his expertise
he aint gonna become no country leader so enjoy his entertainment value

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 9th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Yup