TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

WHY ZABOCA SOOOOOO EXPENSIVE IN TRINIDAD?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

gencon
Chronic TriniTuner

WHY ZABOCA SOOOOOO EXPENSIVE IN TRINIDAD?

Postby gencon » April 25th, 2017, 3:59 pm

WHY? EH? WHY?

I LOVE ZABOCA, IT IS NATURE'S BUTTER AND IS A GREAT HEALTHY FAT.

PLEASE NO COMMENTS ABOUT BHODI PRICES.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: WHY ZABOOCYAR SOOOOOO EXPENSIVE IN TRINIDAD?

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 25th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Because of supply and demand, basic economics.

It also doesn't help that termites love to attack the trees and its near impossible to kill them, then there is the added bonus of thieves stealing your produce so less and less people plant this crop anymore.

Not to mention only certain parts of Trinidad this will grow for example in my area just like most areas the tree will die because it needs sandy and stoney soil not clay dirt.

gencon
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby gencon » April 25th, 2017, 4:06 pm

The US seems to enjoy much lower prices though, probably imported from central america I think.

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: WHY ZABOCA SOOOOOO EXPENSIVE IN TRINIDAD?

Postby pugboy » April 25th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Yeah, them roadside vendor charging $30-40 for what usually $25
One of them told me they are from st Vincent
Hence the price
They not so nice though

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » April 25th, 2017, 4:34 pm

If more people plant it the price will come down... Just like limes, nobody want a lime tree but beating up for 1$ and 2$ a lime

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » April 25th, 2017, 4:42 pm

There was a fella selling $ 5 for 1...small nor arse though.

Soursop is expensive as well, but always sells out despite the price.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » April 25th, 2017, 4:52 pm

want cheaper avocados? take a drive up Toco

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 26th, 2017, 1:57 am

eliteauto wrote:want cheaper avocados? take a drive up Toco

It'd still cost me more in fuel/beers/other produce :lol:

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 26th, 2017, 4:26 am

like allyuh aint see the price ah kashima

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 26th, 2017, 10:43 am

When all people planting is concrete, what do you expect?
No problems, PNM once said why worry about agriculture when we have oil and gas.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » April 26th, 2017, 11:22 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Because of supply and demand, basic economics.

It also doesn't help that termites love to attack the trees and its near impossible to kill them, then there is the added bonus of thieves stealing your produce so less and less people plant this crop anymore.

qft
the termites is an issue, yeah. but its a manageable one, & the negative effects take some years to kick in.
truth be told, plenty end consumers does end up unwittingly buying stolen produce, ppl does hadda resort to some dread measures to prevent theft. It might not stop it all outright, but man hadda protect they investments.

dude2014
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby dude2014 » April 26th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Well there is need to plant more Zabooca trees. the termite can be managed by ground treatment and there are quite a few termite treatment companies around. If you are a DIY guy you can check Caribbean/Carlsen Chemicals for products and usage guides.

Also some varieties bear early or late and a mix selection of varieties can see more stable price and year round abundance ......

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » April 28th, 2017, 1:15 pm

I firmly blame food network. Since them west moorings and lange park people start calling it Avocado, instead of zaboca, the price shoot up from $10 for one to all kyna $50 for a frigging Zaboca, I mean 'Avocado".

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » April 28th, 2017, 1:20 pm

People jumping your fence and stealing your Zaboca to sell on highway

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » April 28th, 2017, 1:30 pm

crazybalhead wrote:I firmly blame food network. Since them west moorings and lange park people start calling it Avocado, instead of zaboca, the price shoot up from $10 for one to all kyna $50 for a frigging Zaboca, I mean 'Avocado".

Guacamole hoss!!!

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 28th, 2017, 1:30 pm

crazybalhead wrote:I firmly blame food network. Since them west moorings and lange park people start calling it Avocado, instead of zaboca, the price shoot up from $10 for one to all kyna $50 for a frigging Zaboca, I mean 'Avocado".

flatbread and guacamole instead of roti and zaboca choka

damn food network

but having a zaboca tree does really bring thief

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » April 28th, 2017, 2:10 pm

ADONI wrote:

Guacamole hoss!!!

CHOKA!!!

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » April 28th, 2017, 6:32 pm

I buy from the vegetable shed in my area . I buy weekly like 6-8 for $100.00 most times I buy the Grenada stock, put in the the fridge, take it out and by the next day it's ripe and ready to consume. The local one I find too pricey and alot of the times they get black during the ripening process. I prefer the Grenada one, stays up to 2 weeks in fridge and ripes nicely........

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » April 28th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Like buttah

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 28th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Them imported pale ones blandish though
Can't beat a local pollock

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » April 28th, 2017, 7:54 pm

So far, these nice and buttery, so far.

computercentral
Trinituner Peong

Postby computercentral » May 1st, 2017, 5:41 am

desifemlove
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby desifemlove » May 1st, 2017, 12:56 pm

USA probably grows it own too, i bet they havve greenhouses, or grow them in the in the southern states or Cali. it's also about economies of scale.

For T&T, maybe they're more expensive due to supply and demand. But also because they are more prized, or probably not grown as much as mango, they are more expensive.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » May 1st, 2017, 12:59 pm

you object to things being called their proper name? did you learn English in school, and do you object to people calling melongene eggplant?

crazybalhead
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby crazybalhead » May 1st, 2017, 2:12 pm

desifemlove wrote:

you object to things being called their proper name? did you learn English in school, and do you object to people calling melongene eggplant?

Nowhere did I say I was objecting sir. I did learn English in school, with a 1 at CXC level and an A in General Paper at A levels.

The shift in nomenclature from the traditional Zaboca, to the more widely known Avocado, which are both co-incidentally rooted in the native languages, comes with it a nuanced perception of wealth and prosperity. The influence of cable telivision, and in particular the food network is pervasive in today's culture and there are several effects of same.

Regarding this situation however, the wealthy neighbourhoods mentioned in jest may have contributed to the change in pricing precisely due to the perceived change in the value of the product merely by referring to the fruit under its more sanitised appellation, Avocado. In Trinidad we have a long history of embracing our colonial masters terminology to satisfy a deep insecurity within ourselves, that somehow our native culture is inferior. A great example is the way our business places are festooned with pseudo and quasi-European names like "Movietowne" or "Hot Shoppe". It makes us feel better about ourselves to reference the european sounding term, rather than embrace the local version, which may identify us with a lower caste than we wish (and especially originated from).

Capitalists have pounced on the phenomena, and so priced the good accordingly, hence the satirical post Initially published. Apologies if this seemed unclear from the preceding text, and I do hope the explanation of my thought process meets with the approval of a fine eggplant eater like yourself.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » May 1st, 2017, 5:22 pm

you can do it.

desifemlove

Postby desifemlove » May 1st, 2017, 8:09 pm

crazybalhead wrote:
desifemlove wrote:

Nowhere did I say I was objecting sir. I did learn English in school, with a 1 at CXC level and an A in General Paper at A levels.

The shift in nomenclature from the traditional Zaboca, to the more widely known Avocado, which are both co-incidentally rooted in the native languages, comes with it a nuanced perception of wealth and prosperity. The influence of cable telivision, and in particular the food network is pervasive in today's culture and there are several effects of same.

Regarding this situation however, the wealthy neighbourhoods mentioned in jest may have contributed to the change in pricing precisely due to the perceived change in the value of the product merely by referring to the fruit under its more sanitised appellation, Avocado. In Trinidad we have a long history of embracing our colonial masters terminology to satisfy a deep insecurity within ourselves, that somehow our native culture is inferior. A great example is the way our business places are festooned with pseudo and quasi-European names like "Movietowne" or "Hot Shoppe". It makes us feel better about ourselves to reference the european sounding term, rather than embrace the local version, which may identify us with a lower caste than we wish (and especially originated from).

Capitalists have pounced on the phenomena, and so priced the good accordingly, hence the satirical post Initially published. Apologies if this seemed unclear from the preceding text, and I do hope the explanation of my thought process meets with the approval of a fine eggplant eater like yourself.

Shop is a normal English word. Do you select your English lexicon too? Do you say "place that sells goods and/or services" instead of shop then? It has nothing to do with heritage, just a normal English language term for the fruit in question.

If you detest "colonial impositions", why even speak English? Who do you think introduced English into the Caribbean? It wasn't slaves or indentured labourers.

r.smith
Riding on 13's

Postby r.smith » May 1st, 2017, 8:40 pm

Let me give my two words . Its real simple y its so expensive if u all pay the price they are trying to dig out ur eye with the price will never go down ...
Have u ever notice what they was selling for $25-$50 all of a sudden its 2 or 3 for $25 wen its spoiling on their hands , I don't need it let it ripe let it stand on their hands and see what price it comes two .
I personally get one for $5 wen it ripe on their hands

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 1st, 2017, 9:35 pm

like the times when hot pepper is $1 for 1 in the market and then next week is the same heaps of half rotten wrinkled skin pepper selling 20 and 30 for $5.

For fresh produce, it only costs that much because you're willing to pay that price for it.

So pay the $25 and $30 for one and then sit down with yuh naanii and zeetv on Sunday and tell dem how zaboca so expensive now. Then do it again next week and wonder how zaboca so expensive.

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » May 1st, 2017, 10:02 pm

r.smith wrote:Let me give my two words . Its real simple y its so expensive if u all pay the price they are trying to dig out ur eye with the price will never go down ...
Have u ever notice what they was selling for $25-$50 all of a sudden its 2 or 3 for $25 wen its spoiling on their hands , I don't need it let it ripe let it stand on their hands and see what price it comes two .
I personally get one for $5 wen it ripe on their hands

This...... correct

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”