Large Appliance Advice

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Large Appliance Advice

Postby Nexus » October 28th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Hey tuners,

Looking to purchase stove, washer & dryer. My budget is about 12k, slightly flexible. Trying to get some advice on:
Brand
Where to purchase
Reliability & Servicing

Spent today going to courts, standards, furniture plus and a few other distributors. I can get stuff within budget, but I just not sure about quality.
Been hearing those new whirlpool washers not good with the electronic boards, also hearing the samsungs and LGs are good (the wobble and turbo drum thing).
For stove, I cook a good deal so was looking for the type with cast iron top, maybe a five burner and stainless steel look. Some nice frigidaires in standards but again I really dont know how to compare. All store clerks say, "Yea this real good".

Ive searched the model #'s found in the stores and the reviews real limited, I feel we get mostly latin american products. Anyone purchase recently or any techs could weigh in?

Thanks

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: Large Appliance Advice

Postby airuma » October 28th, 2017, 5:17 pm

I would recommend Parts World and Standards. And ask if they stock any made for USA as opposed to the ones made for Latin America.
From my research, Whirlpool is the OEM for the vast majority of appliances.
IMHO, the new whirlpool washers are good, have one for 3-4 years and no board problems. They are very easy diy repair too.... maybe that's why they are not recommended by appliance repair persons.

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » October 28th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Nexus wrote:Hey tuners,

Looking to purchase stove, washer & dryer. My budget is about 12k, slightly flexible. Trying to get some advice on:
Brand
Where to purchase
Reliability & Servicing

Spent today going to courts, standards, furniture plus and a few other distributors. I can get stuff within budget, but I just not sure about quality.
Been hearing those new whirlpool washers not good with the electronic boards, also hearing the samsungs and LGs are good (the wobble and turbo drum thing).
For stove, I cook a good deal so was looking for the type with cast iron top, maybe a five burner and stainless steel look. Some nice frigidaires in standards but again I really dont know how to compare. All store clerks say, "Yea this real good".

Ive searched the model #'s found in the stores and the reviews real limited, I feel we get mostly latin american products. Anyone purchase recently or any techs could weigh in?

Thanks

Actually in the same boat with you, spent last week and this week shopping around for a washer, fridge and stove. I am quite surprised both courts and american stores have more digital washing machines than the regular ones and quite sceptical about them. I'm all for technology but the amount of washing my household does I feel it better to stick to the long time ones. Plus one of the clerks started to mention with regards to the digital one its best to have a good power supply because any electrical interruptions causes trouble (big red flag for me since current always going by me for no reason, that's what messing up my fridge right now). Saw a magnum there too that looks good around $4k

Standards had pretty decent prices out of everyone, looking at a Frigidaire refrigerator from Standards around $4k and some change, whirlpool seems to be the popular washing machine brand, that what I currently have and lasted a good bit of years we service and never had issues getting parts. Stoves were better priced than Courts and AS

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » October 28th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Beware of rust on Whirlpool appliances. I have washer, stove, dishwasher and fridge all Whirlpool and 5 years in, all had surface rust to some extent.

No operational issues with anything except stove. The push ignition system stopped some time back.

All Whirlpool usually have a US equivalent. Model numbers don't match but the actual part number of the bad part does so you can search that way.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » October 28th, 2017, 6:01 pm

I kind of looking for a good stove as well.

Cant see anything yet.

Looking for something like a SS GE with convection oven with 4 burners and the grill plate in the middle.

If you guys see anything like that, just post the location.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » October 28th, 2017, 6:41 pm

I would say whirlpool is the best from experience....but to get whirlpool appliances with that budget might be a little difficult. I know ppl with ge stuff and it works great for them

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 28th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Bought a frigidaire stove from parts world last week, shopped around quite a bit.
They are supposedly fairly common and easy to get parts, sold by many.

Most of the sellers had models with convection fan also which is what I wanted.
Unit I bought is all electric and the front burners can double as large or small
plus there is a small fifth in the back which can be used for low heat warming only.

checked the models online also and they had decent reviews.

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » October 28th, 2017, 7:27 pm

pugboy wrote:Bought a frigidaire stove from parts world last week, shopped around quite a bit.
They are supposedly fairly common and easy to get parts, sold by many.

Most of the sellers had models with convection fan also which is what I wanted.
Unit I bought is all electric and the front burners can double as large or small
plus there is a small fifth in the back which can be used for low heat warming only.

checked the models online also and they had decent reviews.

Mind disclosing the price paid? Someone recommended checking Reliance to me but haven't done so yet. Normally call parts world or Lewis to service our appliances. Lil hefty but never had problems with them

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 28th, 2017, 7:30 pm

$6700 for all electric version
reliable had same model but a little more expensive

courts used to have the same model also

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 28th, 2017, 8:10 pm

if in central area , partsworld always have some really nice up to date models however pricing is above sew rite & reliable , all d other stores to me around here is bleh & more expensive compared to these 3

washers - whirlpool for it , our last 1 lasted about 15yrs & only last yr i replaced it with another whirlpool , i stuck to d traditional dial knobs instead of all that fancy digital stuff .... u just choose size & what cycle & let d machine do its job , its very quiet compared to d 1 it replaced

stove , i like whirlpool too , gas type , our current 1 is probably about 15 yrs old too , d metal burners have rusted with age & needs replacing , electric start probably has cooking oil in it so that part doesnt work but otherwise body is still rust free , for d age i think we got plenty from it & will get more if i change burners & fix d ignition .... earlier this yr i saw some saffire brand stoves in reliable that looks good too , was cheaper than whirlpool but less warranty too , same with magnum brand

as for dryer - call me old fashion environmentally concerned but i cool with hanging clothes on d line ... :lol:

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » October 28th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Nexus wrote:Hey tuners,

Brand
Where to purchase
Reliability & Servicing

Thanks

i not really going to quote all the other tuners but essentially shop around the Latin american stuff is different fron the USA market stuff and the USA market stuff tends to be better quality

if you can - try shopping in miami and having it shipped to u via sea freight.

snatman
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snatman » October 28th, 2017, 8:40 pm

LG and Samsung over the last decade have consistently been best rated for large consumer appliances.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 28th, 2017, 9:01 pm

brandname is not always "better" just so, I was once shopping for a dishwasher in miami,
all the salespeople were pushing the fancy stainless lg/samsung ones which trying to take over the market
checking reviews later that evening they were not very good compared to regular looking whirlpool or ge

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » October 28th, 2017, 9:11 pm

airuma wrote:I would recommend Parts World and Standards. And ask if they stock any made for USA as opposed to the ones made for Latin America.
IMHO, the new whirlpool washers are good, have one for 3-4 years and no board problems. They are very easy diy repair too.... maybe that's why they are not recommended by appliance repair persons.

All whirlpool, kitchen aid and amana shipped to Trinidad are made i the USA

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 28th, 2017, 9:23 pm

You may want to start by looking at Consumer Reports Digital edition. It costs $7 for a 30 day subscription. They will give you answers to all of the questions that you asked (except local sellers and service) .

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » October 28th, 2017, 10:03 pm

src1983 wrote:
airuma wrote:I would recommend Parts World and Standards. And ask if they stock any made for USA as opposed to the ones made for Latin America.

All whirlpool, kitchen aid and amana shipped to Trinidad are made i the USA

Please note that the preposition I used was "for" not "in"

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 29th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Parts World is best . Or Courts.

Standard does not honor their warranties .

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » October 29th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Ay,
thanks for all the input. Didn't vibes parts world cause a relative had some horrible experience with them and a former tech said they sell reburb stuff from time to time as new.
Standards was looking ok so far, I actually finding them models online for review.
What about 'off brands' like mabe, amana, indurama, cetron, mastertech? Don't think ill purchase one, but if the reviews good it might be worthwhile to consider

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 29th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Nexus wrote:Looking to purchase stove, washer & dryer. Some nice frigidaires in standards but again I really dont know how to compare. All store clerks say, "Yea this real good".

DO NOT BUY FRIGIDAIRE from Standards.

I know you did not mention a fridge but we bought a Frigidaire Gallery a couple years ago from Standards and it has been tears ever since. No end of problems with that brand.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 29th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Nexus wrote:What about 'off brands' like mabe, amana, indurama, cetron, mastertech? Don't think ill purchase one, but if the reviews good it might be worthwhile to consider

Amana is a major brand. They concentrate on ovens and cook tops.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 1st, 2017, 1:52 pm

any of you have a gas dryer?

i bought two yesterday in massy

working with 20lb lpg tank and 110v power (110v is just to turn the motor)

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » November 1st, 2017, 3:45 pm

Whirlpool is the best brand .
Reliable and no problems .

silent_riot
punchin NOS

Postby silent_riot » November 2nd, 2017, 11:18 am

I go into the stores and get the model numbers for the Whirlpool, Frigidaire models and the prices for the ones that fit my budget and to an extent style (e.g. Stainless steel, french door)
Then spend a couple days researching the model numbers and choose U.S. models (so you can buy parts online if necessary) with very good reviews.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » November 6th, 2017, 6:43 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:any of you have a gas dryer?

How it working?

Which one of the Massy, seriously considering getting one. Hoping to get the electricity bill down.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » November 6th, 2017, 7:17 am

I would say do your research,pick what you want and buy on the thanks giving and year end sales in Miami

And ship.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » November 6th, 2017, 7:49 am

Had a Samsung Refrigerator that we bought used and it lasted a lucky 13 years...:shock:

Right now running a Whirlpool...into its fifth year. Can confirm the rusting issues and the gaskets are hardening. Otherwise fine.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 6th, 2017, 8:22 am

jackal wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:any of you have a gas dryer?

How it working?

Which one of the Massy, seriously considering getting one. Hoping to get the electricity bill down.

Massy trincity . Bought them for an apartment building so i only test it out on install. The person who recommended it says it works great though

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » November 12th, 2017, 6:10 am

Hey,
Just wanted to give an update. Ended up getting everything under budget!! (12k). I bought the following:
- Frigidaire gallery 30" stove from Standards - 6200
- Cetron dryer from Standards for 1600! Was the last one they had in stock and for that price wasn't much of a debate for me; even if it gives me 2 years i good
- LG 16 kg turbo drum from BM Electronics in El Socorro South for 4000. They distribute to major stores so their prices are less than the courts and standards etc, they also give you a warranty and servicing, worth checking out.

Will see how it all works in the long run

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 12th, 2017, 11:57 am

is that stove stainless ?
price kinda highish

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » November 12th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Nexus wrote:Hey,
Just wanted to give an update. Ended up getting everything under budget!! (12k). I bought the following:
- Frigidaire gallery 30" stove from Standards - 6200
- Cetron dryer from Standards for 1600! Was the last one they had in stock and for that price wasn't much of a debate for me; even if it gives me 2 years i good
- LG 16 kg turbo drum from BM Electronics in El Socorro South for 4000. They distribute to major stores so their prices are less than the courts and standards etc, they also give you a warranty and servicing, worth checking out.

Will see how it all works in the long run

Dat Stove expensive :shock:

Dat Stove is Gas or a Hybrid ..

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”