Forums

Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Everything Smart Homes in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » June 25th, 2020, 12:14 am

ronsin1 wrote:Did you get through with the garage door control?

nah the pandemic put a pause on that for now
but hopefully I'll revisit it soon

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » June 25th, 2020, 11:44 am

Apple announced new features to HomeKit in WWDC 2020

https://www.homekitauthority.com/whats- ... -2020/?amp

4kin4kar
Sweet on this forum

Re: Everything Smart homes

Postby 4kin4kar » June 27th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
ronsin1 wrote:They have RF smart devices as well however I never used it

I decided to control my garage gate with a smart relay with inching feature

It's a sonoff device

It uses a 5v power supply that you ha e to purchase separate which I did

Didn't see the need for add the RF device

I'll see if I find the link for the RF device for you
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
ronsin1 wrote:No it does not have any sensors on it

It replaces any or all remote controls you have

As for temp and humidity you can use It to set your AC on what function you want
sensibo adjusts for you based on temp though. So if the room goes past 29degrees, the AC turns on. But I understand not many ppl may need that. It is great to see the temp and humidity of rooms in your home though.
However still can’t beat the price of the one you posted.

I even have a couple Logitech Harmony hubs but still can’t beat your price.

I wish these could control RF devices as well, like the garage door, driveway gate and a ceiling fan I have that uses an RF remote.

I saw the Sonoff, tell me more, how did you connect it?
Need details

Currently reading through this
https://hackaday.com/2019/07/14/homekit ... -a-bridge/
which natively adds HomeKit to Sonoff switches without the need for a HomeBridge server

This is all you need, I'm currently controlling my garage door and gate with two of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Momentary-Self-l ... B07Z76NFTR

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » July 7th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Are there 220v smart outlets to control a water pump or water heater?

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » July 7th, 2020, 1:00 pm

eitech wrote:Are there 220v smart outlets to control a water pump or water heater?

Interested as well for the pump.

However, I was thinking instead of an outlet, I can utilize a switch. It should be able to handle the load for a water pump atleast based on the amperage. Yes/No?

For the water heater, I'm not sure how efficient it'll be to have one on a smart outlet/switch.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm

4kin4kar wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
ronsin1 wrote:They have RF smart devices as well however I never used it

I decided to control my garage gate with a smart relay with inching feature

It's a sonoff device

It uses a 5v power supply that you ha e to purchase separate which I did

Didn't see the need for add the RF device

I'll see if I find the link for the RF device for you
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
ronsin1 wrote:No it does not have any sensors on it

It replaces any or all remote controls you have

As for temp and humidity you can use It to set your AC on what function you want
sensibo adjusts for you based on temp though. So if the room goes past 29degrees, the AC turns on. But I understand not many ppl may need that. It is great to see the temp and humidity of rooms in your home though.
However still can’t beat the price of the one you posted.

I even have a couple Logitech Harmony hubs but still can’t beat your price.

I wish these could control RF devices as well, like the garage door, driveway gate and a ceiling fan I have that uses an RF remote.

I saw the Sonoff, tell me more, how did you connect it?
Need details

Currently reading through this
https://hackaday.com/2019/07/14/homekit ... -a-bridge/
which natively adds HomeKit to Sonoff switches without the need for a HomeBridge server

This is all you need, I'm currently controlling my garage door and gate with two of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Momentary-Self-l ... B07Z76NFTR

Thanks!!! But it’s not HomeKit compatible though. The Sonoff is compatible with all three, Alexa, Google and HomeKit.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » July 11th, 2020, 7:20 pm

thelem-again wrote:
eitech wrote:Are there 220v smart outlets to control a water pump or water heater?

However, I was thinking instead of an outlet, I can utilize a switch. It should be able to handle the load for a water pump atleast based on the amperage. Yes/No?

For the water heater, I'm not sure how efficient it'll be to have one on a smart outlet/switch.

Did a bit of research. The 220v smart plugs require a hot and neutral. Our wiring here for 220v consist of two hot wires. They wont work. My pump is controlled through a contactor so i can use a smart plug to control the 120v contactor.
The water heater could work under the same arrangement. Just ensure which ever contactor is selected that the contacts can handle the load requirements of either pump or water heater.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 11th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Just curious... But can you share why exactly you want to add the water pump to a smart switch...

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 11th, 2020, 7:50 pm

eitech wrote:
thelem-again wrote:

Did a bit of research. The 220v smart plugs require a hot and neutral. Our wiring here for 220v consist of two hot wires. They wont work. My pump is controlled through a contactor so i can use a smart plug to control the 120v contactor.
The water heater could work under the same arrangement. Just ensure which ever contactor is selected that the contacts can handle the load requirements of either pump or water heater.
Most smart outlets and switches are rated 15A or so.

Typically:
A water heater will use 230V 30A or more.
A 1hp pump will use 120V 14A at full load BUT there is an in-rush current of up to 300A and a start-up current of about 120A before settling down to about 8A.

However, you could use a relay to control the device outlet with no further need for concern.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » July 11th, 2020, 8:02 pm

Gladiator wrote:Just curious... But can you share why exactly you want to add the water pump to a smart switch...

My water pump and heater are in a room at one end of the house. With a smart plug I could easily operate them remotely if the need arises.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » July 11th, 2020, 8:02 pm

adnj wrote:
eitech wrote:
thelem-again wrote:

Most smart outlets and switches are rated 15A or so.

Typically:
A water heater will use 230V 30A or more.
A 1hp pump will use 120V 14A at full load BUT there is an in-rush current of up to 300A and a start-up current of about 120A before settling down to about 8A.

However, you could use a relay to control the device outlet with no further need for concern.

Yep

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » July 11th, 2020, 8:26 pm

^^^ how come the pump doesn't trip the 20A breaker if it pulls more than 20A at startup?

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » July 12th, 2020, 3:25 am

fokhan_96 wrote:^^^ how come the pump doesn't trip the 20A breaker if it pulls more than 20A at startup?

Dont wanna hog the thread it has to do with overload curves. All motors exceed their overload and even breaker setting at startup for a few milliseconds. Overload and breaker design settings allow for this for the initial start which cud be 1.5x full load current. Google a bit.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » July 12th, 2020, 9:07 am

I work in this field
Trust me, making things smart is a dumb idea. Too many weak links in the system.

It can work, but the amount of money you spend to save 4 seconds from having to manually turn on a lightbulb aint worth it.
(Expensive stuff like Crestron and AMX are good tho, but hella expensive, all to turn on a light bulb)

"Oops my touch screen light switch got hit with a power spike and died, can't see in the dark now. Alexa help. Wait crap I didn't upgrade to the Alexa package."
What's wrong with a light switch?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » July 12th, 2020, 9:26 am

ruffneck i surprised yuh even using trinituner app with that outlook

better yuh stick to pen and paper and mail responses directly to duane

smart switches and smart devices make life insanely more convenient,easier and safer
one of the best things is being able to set schedules and timers

AC could turn on at a certain time or with a geofence when you almost reach home

lights around your house and in your house can be set to turn on at certain times or again with a geofence, so when you almost reach home everywhere lighted and you could see all around before opening your gate.

motion sensors can be linked to lights,alarms,your phone

if you walk in a certain area during a certain time, certain lights will come on

like i have coconut plant on 2 acres of land around my house, going to plant pawpaw with it as well
have alot of led flood lights throughout but the lights being on whole night may or may not affect the plants growth cycle

so i setting up motion sensors at points and at a height where if a person walks by, all the lights will come on and ill get alerts on my phone

also, when leaving your office or house, its so easy to say good morning alexa, good night alexa and specific functions will happen, lights will turn on or off, ac will turn on or off, alarm system will arm or disarm

even if you forget, you can easily do it from your phone.

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » July 12th, 2020, 2:38 pm

fokhan_96 wrote:^^^ how come the pump doesn't trip the 20A breaker if it pulls more than 20A at startup?
Breakers have what they call in rush current protection which will prevent the breaker from tripping when a motor starts

Its rated is rupturing capacity a normal 20A breaker may have a RC of 1500 amps.

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » July 12th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Actually some can use the 220V supply we use here.
Seen a few installs already.
eitech wrote:
thelem-again wrote:

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » July 12th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Very informative thread....

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 12th, 2020, 10:16 pm

I think that putting high powered heating and motor driven devices such as water heaters and pumps on smart switches is not a wise thing though.

If servers go down or internet drops out you don't want your water pump not being able to turn on or your water heater on a default on state. Those high powered devices should remain in standard wiring and control configurations. There are also some safety considerations to note.

For lights and small appliances such as fans etc it makes more sense to use the smart devices to control them.

I am speaking from a 15 years or so of experience from using the X10 platform back then to now using Samsung smart home, Google home, Amazon Alexa, WIMO, Sylvania/Osram Lightify, smart life, Harmony...

Oh and yeah I have Samsung smart home, Google home and Amazon Alexa running simultaneously.... No problems this far.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 12th, 2020, 10:33 pm

But these smart devices have manual overrides.
So if you have a smart switch/timer handling your water heater or sprinkler or AC unit, there is the usual normal way to turn it on and off also.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » July 12th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Gladiator wrote:I think that putting high powered heating and motor driven devices such as water heaters and pumps on smart switches is not a wise thing though.

If servers go down or internet drops out you don't want your water pump not being able to turn on or your water heater on a default on state. Those high powered devices should remain in standard wiring and control configurations. There are also some safety considerations to note.

For lights and small appliances such as fans etc it makes more sense to use the smart devices to control them.

I am speaking from a 15 years or so of experience from using the X10 platform back then to now using Samsung smart home, Google home, Amazon Alexa, WIMO, Sylvania/Osram Lightify, smart life, Harmony...

Oh and yeah I have Samsung smart home, Google home and Amazon Alexa running simultaneously.... No problems this far.

Good safety considerations to note.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 12th, 2020, 11:01 pm

That's true for some devices WRT the manual override. I guess you can also wire in a manual override switch if using a contactor type arrangement.

For garden sprinklers definitely... For a water pump still I find it is overkill and asking for trouble. If you plumb your pump correctly and use a standard pressure switch you would be just fine to just leave it on and let those components do their thing.

However I have used some devices that default on the on state after an outage. This can be a scary situation if you not home or on vacation and appliances remain on after a power outage.

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:But these smart devices have manual overrides.
So if you have a smart switch/timer handling your water heater or sprinkler or AC unit, there is the usual normal way to turn it on and off also.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » July 13th, 2020, 12:17 am

Gladiator wrote:That's true for some devices WRT the manual override. I guess you can also wire in a manual override switch if using a contactor type arrangement.

For garden sprinklers definitely... For a water pump still I find it is overkill and asking for trouble. If you plumb your pump correctly and use a standard pressure switch you would be just fine to just leave it on and let those components do their thing.

However I have used some devices that default on the on state after an outage. This can be a scary situation if you not home or on vacation and appliances remain on after a power outage.

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:But these smart devices have manual overrides.

Yea the pump is controlled finally by the pressure switch and besides whenever i leave the house the main switch is turned off for all these equipment. Also i have a manual bypass switch. Smart plugs yes but the owner has to be smart in the application as well

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » July 13th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Just want to throw in my 2 cents here for those who raised concerns with smart home functions.

Yes i agree that some smart applications just aren't practical, such as the water heater, because the main purpose of having a smart home or smart functions is for convenience. Its not to solve a problem.
And I'm speaking from my own consumer end experience over the past 5 years.

Once you have an appropriate eco-system you utilize (such as homekit or even IFTTT or Amazon) it works out great.

Issues such as power and internet outages, range etc become a non-issue because you didnt place a dependency on the smart devices. Also again, if you are involved and invested in a smart-home, issues such as devices coming on or off while away or on vacation should not occur. For example, when I'm vacationing, I often check the status of all my devices such as servers, switches, schedules, power consumption etc.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 4th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Got my smart plugs this evening. Installed one on water pump. That’s one less walk to the laundry.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 6th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Installed a contactor to control my water heater via a smart plug. Also included a delay off timer function to switch off heater after 1hr

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » August 8th, 2020, 2:31 pm

eitech wrote:Got my smart plugs this evening. Installed one on water pump. That’s one less walk to the laundry.

Ok so what was the brand of the smart plug and what is the type of water pump also?

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » August 8th, 2020, 5:57 pm

thelem-again wrote:
eitech wrote:Got my smart plugs this evening. Installed one on water pump. That’s one less walk to the laundry.

Ok so what was the brand of the smart plug and what is the type of water pump also?

I am using the gosund plugs which came in a set of four. I did notice that these plugs keep their state post power failure. So if it was on before it will be on after, and if it was off before it will be off after. It is manageable. I have a gould pump

nismodriver
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby nismodriver » August 9th, 2020, 12:27 am

I'm using an outdoor GE Z wave plug for my Water Pump and Pool Pump.
I'm able to Automate the Pool Pump to turn on and off. Its a small pump though so not sure the rating for bigger pool pumps.
As for automation, my son's door has a sensor if it opens between XPm-YAm, the echo in my room tells me so I know he may be awake. Motion sensor on the bed puts on the lamp on low so he is not totally in the dark.
Integrating with Alexa gives some good automation such as When I say Goodnight, the TV and AC comes off as well as the lights.
Everyone's house and routines are different, its all about how to automate.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 13th, 2020, 5:32 am

Quite by coincidence, I've discovered that smart bulbs use the same generic program to control them. After quite some frustration with IFTTT and realizing how useless that app really is for automation with various devices not even listed with their applets.

I use a few Globe Suite smart bulbs. I installed the Globe app from the Play Store and it works fine.
Last night i was using the NEXXT Smart Home App for a smart wifi camera, and discovered that i could find a Globe smart bulb (factory reset it) on the Nexxt app. It's just a generic program and interface for all smart devices, with the manufacturer's label and logo at the front. I realized that the Globe and Nexxt apps are exactly the same, even the animations, just a different color.

This means that it would allow automation of different devices through 1 Home Smart Control App, even though they're different brands. I really not sure about Philips though with their proprietary Hue brand. If anyone has a Philips Hue, try it with another app and see if it works.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”